• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC Champion Holly Holms first title defense will not be against Ronda Rousey

Status
Not open for further replies.
mixed-martial-arts-portrait-of-ufc-womens-bantamweight-champion-holly-picture-id500312434

Welp looks like we will see a new matchup first. More than likely it will be Meisha Tate. Glad they aren't doing immediate rematch.

After Holly Holm knocked out longtime women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey at UFC 193, many fans and critics expected an immediate rematch.

That, however, is not the case.

"Holly Holm will fight before she fights Ronda," UFC President Dana White said during Wednesday's episode of UFC Tonight

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/1/6...y-holm-will-fight-before-ronda-rousey-rematch

Good. Absolutely no reason to bench Holm for so long; not after the completely one sided demolition derby that she inflicted on Ronda.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Thank you Uncle Dana. Ronda wasn't just beat, she was completely outclassed. A rematch made zero sense.

Fox318

Good.

Tate gets her shot, holm gets to defend, and rhonda gets to work with her elite coach on her boxing.

commedieu

Banned
whats her face was completely outted as being a certain skill level. Holms is a superior fighter and that showed immediately. I'd love to see her fight more at her skill level, Holms, not the loser.

bigkrev

Stupid for Holly. If she sits, she probably gets one of the biggest paydays in MMA history for her rematch with Rousey. If she looses this fight, that's out the window.

Savitar

About damn time.

If Rousey is still nursing her wounds from her ass kicking let someone else step up.

Rousey will get a match no matter what later and it'll do bank eventually anyways.

Takuan

Great news. I understand why Dana wanted the rematch, but you can't put your champ on ice when she's in perfect health and ready to fight right now. Holly is gonna put a beating on Meisha.

FUME5

This may not work out so well for Holly, her fight against Rousey was the best she's looked in the UFC, if she can't put on another performance like that she may not be champ for long.

gogogow

Huh? Why would anyone expect an immediate rematch with Ronda? Ronda obviously needs time off and needs to seriously work on her striking.

Rur0ni

Stupid for Holly. If she sits, she probably gets one of the biggest paydays in MMA history for her rematch with Rousey. If she looses this fight, that's out the window.
Being the best is more than what you're paid. Once the dollars are gone, what's left?

gogogow

Because the rematch might break the MMA PPV record

$,$$$,$$$.$$

Of course, but Ronda probably don't want to accept the fight if she thinks she isn't ready. She doesn't wants to be humiliated like that again. She needs to be 100% ready, she needs to work on her defense against Holms striking and she also needs to learn how to properly strike.

So how does this UFC rematch or matchmaking actually works? UFC want her to fight Holms on a certain date. Can Ronda say no, because she needs more time to work on her skills?

Sanjuro

Of course, but Ronda probably don't want to accept the fight if she thinks she isn't ready. She doesn't wants to be humiliated like that again. She needs to be 100% ready, she needs to work on her defense against Holms striking and she also needs to learn how to properly strike.

So how does this UFC rematch or matchmaking actually works? UFC want her to fight Holms on a certain date. Can Ronda say no, because she needs more time to work on her skills?

Then she makes less money. Her entire gimmick was being attractive and the best. Now she isn't. Shelf life is gone.

Fighters are independent contractors not employees. So yes they can 100% turn down a fight. That said it can sour the relationship with the promoter and lead to negative circumstances.

But no the UFC cant make anyone fight against their will

Well, props to Dana. He is risking a massive chunk of money is she loses. We need to see who the opponent is. Even if Holly loses, she'll fight Ronda again and the winner will probably go for the title but it won't be nearly as big of a rematch for them if the belt isn't involved and Holly takes an L before hand.

commedieu

Banned
Well, props to Dana. He is risking a massive chunk of money is she loses. We need to see who the opponent is. Even if Holly loses, she'll fight Ronda again and the winner will probably go for the title but it won't be nearly as big of a rematch for them if the belt isn't involved and Holly takes an L before hand.

I kinda feel like thats the game of the UFC. Giants fall.. new ones appear, and the cycle continues. I mean, its the lure of the sport for me. You're fighting, you can always get your ass kicked.

gogogow

Then she makes less money. Her entire gimmick was being attractive and the best. Now she isn't. Shelf life is gone.

Making less money makes sense if Holms loses to Tate (or whoever is gonna fight Holms), but if Holms stays champion, the rematch between Holms and Ronda is still gonna make tons of PPV money, no?

Fighters are independent contractors not employees. So yes they can 100% turn down a fight. That said it can sour the relationship with the promoter and lead to negative circumstances.

But no the UFC cant make anyone fight against their will

I see, thanks.

I kinda feel like thats the game of the UFC. Giants fall.. new ones appear, and the cycle continues. I mean, its the lure of the sport for me. You're fighting, you can always get your ass kicked.

Yeah that is the nice thing about the UFC. You dont get protected. You dont pad out your record for 20 fights.

If your at the top its nothing but killers fight after fight

old

I wonder if she demanded as much in her contract renewal negotiations. I would have.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'm probably late on this but is the general consensus now that Holm is head and shoulders above everyone and Rhonda is trash? If so, lol. After this news I'm actually wondering if the Rhonda rematch will be for the title.

I'm probably late on this but is the general consensus now that Holm is head and shoulders above everyone and Rhonda is trash? If so, lol. After this news I'm actually wondering if the Rhonda rematch will be for the title.

Ronda isn't trash. Her ground game is still probably the best in women's MMA. The problem is that her standup is pretty bad. That's what the Holm's fight exposed. She was in a match with a woman that she couldn't take down. Which left her in a fight with someone whose striking game is significantly better than hers.

Rur0ni

I don't think so. She had the style for it, etc.

Let's also not forget that women's MMA isn't anything like that of their counterparts.

Holm is the more well rounded fighter. She has B-A rating on all her stats overall. Still needs a few more fights to truly cement that status. unfortunately she is very traditional so fights won't be as flashy.

Rhonda has S+ rank on her ground game, but got a penalty on stamina and unarmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom