• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC Champion Jon Jones suspect in felony hit-and-run. Update: stripped of title

Status
Not open for further replies.

iddqd

060614-UFC-Daniel-Cormier-Damion-Hahn-JT-IA.jpg

Riding with the belt into the sunset!

WOW The UFC actually had the balls to strip him. Good move from them but its a shame Jones is such a crappy human being.

If he was going to lose the title I wanted it to be in the cage

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I eagerly await seeing the soon-deleted twitter/instagram/vine where Jones cusses out the UFC/DC/Dana/etc.

Heel

Great decision, in regards to representing the organization.

Surprising, really.

I think a lot of this may have come down to UFC's perception of "loyalty", which seems to be an overly-weighted force behind UFC decisions. Maybe it's actually just the money, but Dana will ride for fighters who fuck up, to the UFC's own detriment. You'll hear that theme come up again and again in these situations. It's almost mafioso in nature.

Run back the events of UFC 151 ("the event Jon Jones and Greg Jackson murdered", which I personally never agreed with) and you can see why it may have been different this time around.

Don't blame UFC at all for dropping Jones but man can't believe people would actually want to see DC over Jones vs. Rumble. Dude is old, out of shape, one dimensional, and can't fight longer than 3 rounds without gassing unless he's been laying on top of his opponent that entire time. Unless Rumble completely forgets how to defend takedowns Cormier's going to get brutalized, Johnson proved he won't tolerate wrestlefuckers with weak standup when he beat Phil Davis. Even if Cormier won he'd be a lame champ, I doubt he'll be fighting past 2016 considering he looks like he's going to keel over every time he cuts to 205 and he's already in his late 30's, father time will claim him before he takes off. Dana should have booked Rockhold vs. Rumble, I believe he was specifically campaigning on social media for it and I'd say he has a much better shot of winning or at least providing an interesting matchup than DC would.

The way it sounds Dana and them heard the facts. Stripped him of the title. Jon didn't say much.

I say this is a good move on their part. It shows everyone they're not fucking around anymore.

dream

I suspect they found out something very bad, and had to cut ties. Having their world champion get charged with drug trafficking, for instance, which Bones Jones does, would be catastrophic at a time when they are trying to run New York.

NomarTyme

I suspect they found out something very bad, and had to cut ties. Having their world champion get charged with drug trafficking, for instance, which Bones Jones does, would be catastrophic at a time when they are trying to run New York.

lmao.

Because he's a repeat offender.

Exactly. It was the only right decision.

Jones has been a wreck for years. Drunk driving accidents, failed drug tests, etc. And now he hits a pregnant woman and flees the scene? He could have KILLED someone.

I applaud the UFC for this decision and Dana / Lorenzo score a few points in my book.

I'll also add I hope this isn't the last we see of Jones. He has a young family to take care of. He needs to go away for a year or two, fix his shit, and hopefully come back a better man and fight again.

Heel

UFC releases statement on Jon Jones' suspension

UFC announced that it has suspended Jon Jones indefinitely and stripped him of the light heavyweight title as a result of violations of the organization’s Athlete Code of Conduct Policy. Jones was recently arrested in Albuquerque, N.M. on a felony charge of leaving the scene of an accident involving personal injury. As a result of the charge and other violations of the Athlete Code of Conduct Policy, the organization believes it is best to allow Jones time to focus on his pending legal matters.

UFC feels strongly that its athletes must uphold certain standards both in and out of the Octagon. While there is disappointment in the recent charges, the organization remains supportive of Jones as he works through the legal process.

With this decision, UFC has determined that No. 1 contender Anthony Johnson will now fight No. 3 contender Daniel Cormier for the UFC light heavyweight championship at UFC 187 on May 23 in Las Vegas.

painey

Jones going on the hunt for the title is a lot more interesting (read: $$$) than him having more boring defenses. Dana knows money comes first, even if its at the expense of 187

WorldStar

Banned
Why would a fired man still be the champion?

who said he is fired

you're trippin if you really believe he wont be back in the UFC

if anything, this could be a genius publicity stunt by UFC

suspend Jones
wait a bit
announce that Jones is making a return on some major card
feed the hype
$$$$$$$

dream

I see a lot of parallels between Bones Jones and Aaron Hernandez. You look at AH and think, dude, you made it, you're the best football player on the planet. Why you still gangbanging? Bones Jones probably slanged on the corner as a kid, selling dime bags and eight balls, but like AH, he couldn't let go of the lifestyle. Now that he's grown, rich, and widely regarded as the best P4P fighter in the world, he can't be satisfied with that. Instead, he decides he's Tony Montana, moving keys, and getting high on his own supply.

Heel

Fired, no, indefinitely suspended independent contractors who wear uniforms...uh, I mean "fight week athletic apparel". This shit is getting good, isn't it? Jon seemed pretty litigious after that cocaine test. Wouldn't be surprised.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Uncle Dana will have your back the first time, second time, and possibly third time you fuck up as long as you've got a fight scheduled or can make money. Ask Rampage for more details on that one.

But this is a new era for the UFC. They're wanting to be taken seriously so they can get into New York. They're trying to build legitimacy with their Reebok deal supplanting having their fighters drenched in "Dude Wipes" and "Condom Depot" slogans. Their PED issues are hurting them, and they're showing zero tolerance to wife beaters (Will Chope) and other dudes would could potentially cause a PR nightmare. Simply because any big scandal right now could easily set the mainstream acceptance of MMA back 20 years, and if big-hitters like Reebok and FOX dump the UFC because of shit like this then they'll be bankrupt within days.

That and Dana knows that a Jones comeback fight would sell a million PPVs.

I'm willing to bet that they're going to go after Bones hard in court and the UFC wants to wash their hands before it happens.

Yep same here. UFC met with Jones and lawyers to assess the situation before hand.

I've totally changed opinion on this case. Court must be going after him hard.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Looks like Dana's washing his hands of this, at least for now.

Edit: Oh my god it means Cormier vs Johnson at 187, Cormier is going to die

Woah.
Atleast he can say he never lost as champion.
He'll be back once all these legal troubles are sorted but for now looks like Johnson as Champ.

Can Cormier get ready in like 3 weeks for someone like Johnson?
Johnson has been at level 100 for a while.

Heel

Uncle Dana will have your back the first time, second time, and possibly third time you fuck up as long as you've got a fight scheduled or can make money. Ask Rampage for more details on that one.

But this is a new era for the UFC. They're wanting to be taken seriously so they can get into New York. They're trying to build legitimacy with their Reebok deal supplanting having their fighters drenched in "Dude Wipes" and "Condom Depot" slogans. Their PED issues are hurting them, and they're showing zero tolerance to wife beaters (Will Chope) and other dudes would could potentially cause a PR nightmare. Simply because any big scandal right now could easily set the mainstream acceptance of MMA back 20 years, and if big-hitters like Reebok and FOX dump the UFC because of shit like this then they'll be bankrupt within days.

That and Dana knows that a Jones comeback fight would sell a million PPVs.

Gone are the days of Dana promising to bail fighters out of jail on fight night? I don't want to believe it, indy.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Holy shit, Dana F'N White actually disciplined someone? Is the sky still blue, brehs? I don't know where I am right now.

Woah.
Atleast he can say he never lost as champion.
He'll be back once all these legal troubles are sorted but for now looks like Johnson as Champ.

Can Cormier get ready in like 3 weeks for someone like Johnson?
Johnson has been at level 100 for a while.

No, I doubt he'll even make the cut to 205 successfully and even if he did Cormier at 100% really doesn't have anything for Johnson outside of his wrestling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom