• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC champion Jon Jones tests positive for cocaine, reportedly enters rehab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayons

Banned
ZTMKJhf.png

angry-dwight.gif
angry-dwight.gif
angry-dwight.gif

Beardz

Yo man, if he wants to do coke, who gives a shit? Let him do what he wants? Does coke enhance his performance at all? He's still one of the baddest men on the planet, and if he wants to do coke, that's his choice. I'm tired of this war on drugs. It's important because people give it importance.

You talk like Nate.

Crud

Banned
Yo man, if he wants to do coke, who gives a shit? Let him do what he wants? Does coke enhance his performance at all? He's still one of the baddest men on the planet, and if he wants to do coke, that's his choice. I'm tired of this war on drugs. It's important because people give it importance.

Yeah I don't give a damn either.

Cipherr

Pfft, agree to disagree then. Anything harder than Mary Jane and I think we should do all we can to offer people rehab and ways to stay off of the hard shit.

charsace

Whoa what the hell

Umm is he not in their employ? He could quit fighting with them and coke himself to death and Im sure they wouldnt care, but if you want to work for someone follow the damn rules. But more importantly is PR for the company, No way they want the bad PR of their fighters using coke. No way in hell.

He can drink himself to death too.

Pfft, agree to disagree then. Anything harder than Mary Jane and I think we should do all we can to offer people rehab and ways to stay off of the hard shit.

Alcohol is just as bad as coke and that's legal.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Jon had said post-fight that his weight cut was happening almost too fast. Doesn't cocaine cause you to profusely sweat?

Did he just discover a new secret to cutting weight?

Not a surprise. Bones Jones is notorious for being a partier, an adulterer, a drunk driver, and a man who loves his blow almost as much as he loves his blowies from white women who aren't his wife.
Uh huh... Tell us what you're really upset about friend.

charsace

Atrocious PR move.

No idea why they're releasing that info if it wasn't a banned substance.

Could be a good PR move. People will hate him more, will get on their high horses like they do whenever a celeb has drug problems, and will want to see him get knocked out. A good villain can make money in sports.

Jon had said post-fight that his weight cut was happening almost too fast. Doesn't cocaine cause you to profusely sweat?

Did he just discover a new secret to cutting weight?

"Man at this stage I could probably go 185" *does line of white waitress titties* "Know I'm sayin?"

I agree and disagree. I don't really consider coke to be hard shit. If this dude was doing crystal meth, heroine or krokodil, he got a problem. But if he occasionally likes to go out and get turnt up and do a little blow, it's not a big deal. If he has a severe coke problem (which, with his training I doubt), then yes it's a bigger deal.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Atrocious PR move.

No idea why they're releasing that info if it wasn't a banned substance.

What sounds better to you:

1) admit you did it, apologise, and enter rehab.
2) don't do shit and wait for it to be leaked in 3-4 months in the run up to a fight.

Jarnet87

Since it's not banned he doesn't deserve to have his belt taken but it would be cool if they did, we might see the old Jones return to win his belt back. I liked how aggressive and wild he was when he started, feel like hes been much more conservative the last couple times I've seen him. Don't really blame him though, he's the champion so the other fighter has to impress and very few fighters can match his physically.

Crayons

Banned

I disagree with this. I DO want the war on drugs to end, but what makes me mad about this are several things:

-Marijuana is banned and cocaine is not
-Cocaine gives you a fuckton of energy, he had an advantage
-He pretends to be a "good guy", lies, he's dishonest.

He cheated.

Bones is like, the biggest heel in the sport ever. He makes Chael Sonnnen look like "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan. And they have tried and tried to shove him down our throats as a "good", humble guy. I swear if he embraces his inner dickhead fully he and the UFC will make ten times what he currently does.

see5harp

I don't care about his drug use as long as he keeps beating the shit out of people. That snitch stuff he said prior is absolute bullshit though. No one should ever believe anything this dude says again.

MMAjunkie today confirmed the test results with Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Bob Bennett.

lol

Anyway, the piece of shit junkie needs to be banned and blacklisted from the sport. You don't want a cokehead representing your company. Lucky for him this happened before the inevitable beat down by the real LHW champion Alexander Gustafsson who was royally screwed over by the judges in their last fight,

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
People are kind of missing the big picture with this. Cocaine is just the stuff they were able to detect. Who's to say Jones isn't on something else but is able to hide it?

There's a credibility issue here and I feel sorry for the poor souls at UFC PR who are going to have to spin this.

_DrMario_

I disagree with this. I DO want the war on drugs to end, but what makes me mad about this are several things:

He cheated.

He was tested on Dec 3rd. So you have no proof if he used coke right before the fight.

He cheated.

He had an advantage because he did coke a month earlier? You do know the high only lasts like 20mins right?

guek

Banned
Heh, I've been working with the UFC medical director all day while he deals with this. He doesn't seem too bothered over it.

He cheated.

Coke only lasts for so long. If he did it before the match, his high will wear off by the time he gets to the ring, and that "fake energy" will crash. I don't think coke is actually very beneficial in a fight, unless he was able to do it minutes before the bell rang. It could actually work against you. Odds are he used it recreationally before the fight, maybe even as a pre workout.

And yes, a marijuana being banned is very stupid.

People are kind of missing the big picture with this. Cocaine is just the stuff they were able to detect. Who's to say Jones isn't on something else but is able to hide it?

There's a credibility issue here and I feel sorry for the poor souls at UFC PR who are going to have to spin this.

Who's to say everyone isn't on something but are just able to hide it?

A positive result for a recreational drug during a non-competitive period is not evidence that he's using a PED.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
They should invent a league where all drugs are allowed and even encouraged, imagine a bunch of brutes going at it completely out of their minds.

Slayven

He can do what he wants, but UFC doesn't have to employ him or state sports authorities don't have to grant him licenses to fight.

dream

Of all the Jackson guys, who do you think is most likely to partake in the yay with Bones Jones? I'm going with Cowboy Cerrone. I have absolutely no doubt that Cowboy Cerrone does lines with Bones Jones.

Of all the Jackson guys, who do you think is most likely to partake in the yay with Bones Jones? I'm going with Cowboy Cerrone. I have absolutely no doubt that Cowboy Cerrone does lines with Bones Jones.

he probably used to do coke out of Britney's butthole

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
It's what gives Cowboy the energy he needs for taking a fight two weeks after his last one.

Pot vs. Coke talk fails on multiple levels. The Pot suspensions were fighters who tested positive on their pre or post fight tests. Not from random PED testing during training.

This is only technically different because it seems that traces of THC (or whatever it is they technically test for) can stay in your system longer than traces of Coke.

And as far as the politics... you can take Dana White at his word or not but he's said:

"It's f--king illegal. You can't do it, it's a banned substance. Should it be? I don't necessary think so. I don't think it's performance [enhancing]," he declared, his voice rising. " [But] it doesn't give a s--t what I think! It doesn't matter! It's a banned substance. Every fighter knows that you go in, and you use marijuana, and you get caught, you're busted. Now the commission's going to come in -- they took that fight away from him -- and he's going to get fined by the commission. He wasn't eligible for that bonus.

Source: http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/5/2...te-defends-ufc-decision-to-rescind-pat-healys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom