• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC champion Jon Jones tests positive for cocaine, reportedly enters rehab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donthizz#

So UFC quits out of competition random testing and now it's best fighter tests positive for coke before a fight and they allow the fight to continue.

Great job Dana. What a joke of an organisation.

Coke is not a banned substance. That's why he was allowed to fight.

So if ballerswives.com is correct, and given their longstanding history of accuracy, Bones Jones has been "engaged" for at least four years. Do you think this woman actually believes that Bones Jones, who accepts fellatio from drunk young ladies, and openly gives his numbers to waitresses in the presence of a journalist, is going to actually marry her?

Source?

Right now I really don't care about the UFC or the implications of a fighter testing positive for coke before a big match. Maybe he does have a problem. Maybe he doesn't. Who knows. But he is a father. I wish him the best if he does have a problem, and hope he gets the help he needs.

caesar

Banned
The UFC knew about it and let him fight, I know it's not a banned substance but it says a lot about them as an organization.

PKcjeyv.jpg

drm pls

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
If they didn't that UFC event would have been cancelled and they wouldn't recover from a 2nd one of those ...
Exactly. Plus with them fighting this lawsuit in California, giving more fighters a reason to be pissed with their contract isn't a good idea.

LOL!

Just like how when I was hired, a completely different company did a drug test on me. Brilliant excuse....And I don't give a damn about your "posts" in the MMA thread. That's idiotic.

Fighters are independent contractors. He does not work for the UFC. They pay him to show up on fight night. They don't give a damn what he does on his down time because he doesn't work for them, just like they don't pay for his training camp.

Bloodrage

Banned
Eye pokes in every fight to save his ass? Check.
Suspect straight kicks to the knee? Check.
Cocaine? Check.
Annoying face? Check.

This motherfucker needs to go.

Chesskid1

Banned
wow just heard about this and i was pretty surprised. honestly mma would be so much worse w/o the ufc but why do i enjoy ufc failing so much

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Eye pokes in every fight to save his ass? Check.
Suspect straight kicks to the knee? Check.
Cocaine? Check.
Annoying face? Check.

This motherfucker needs to go.

sounds like he shoulda been in old school UFC with no rules to speak of outside of don't kill this guy on my mat.

kirblar

wow just heard about this and i was pretty surprised. honestly mma would be so much worse w/o the ufc but why do i enjoy ufc failing so much
Because they're currently trying their hardest to prove that "If everyone's special, nobody is" really is true.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Probably more of an image problem for the group more than anything.
I doubt they want their champions going out there represented as coked up drug addicts if he ends up getting real bad.

if they were worried about their image they wouldn't have let him compete after the results came out a week before his fight.

You want to know why they probably REALLY do the tests? Because it's most likely required by various state athletic commissions. Dana White doesn't give a shit

Guru-Guru

Banned
I like so many people are defending him here, if UFC needs to stop struggling they need to have a likeable champion.
Uh, not true? Most MMA fans hate Jones and want him to lose...Which means they will tune in to watch him fight. He is embracing going full heel and UFC 182 draws 750k plus. Likewise, the next big star for the UFC, Conor McGregor, spends all his time talking shit about other UFC fighters...A lot of people hate him, yet he has the most buzz out of anybody in the UFC arguably.

Assholes can draw really well--look at Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Outside of mayweather boxing is not doing well at all, boxing is no were as popular then it used it be. UFC is in a huge funk right now and its not looking like it is getting better soon.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Likable?

The biggest names in boxing and MMA are both obnoxious showmen who talk shit and people hate.
Well most people respect what people have done in the ring to back up there attitude, like Mayweather.

The UFC knew about it and let him fight, I know it's not a banned substance but it says a lot about them as an organization.

I'd say it says more about the Athletic Commission as it's their role in combat sports to regulate and rule on the matches.

The UFC functions as a promoter. They don't make or enforce the rules. The respective Athletic Commissions do. That's why decisions don't get overturned by Dana or the Fertitta's. They literally have no say.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Outside of mayweather boxing is not doing well at all, boxing is no were as popular then it used it be. UFC is in a huge funk right now and its not looking like it is getting better soon.

Well most people respect what people have done in the ring to back up there attitude, like Mayweather.
There are a million factors why the UFC isn't doing well and not having likeable champions isn't one of them. I don't get why you chose to focus on the lack of likeable champions, when it is pretty evident that most of the biggest draws in combat sports are egotistical, narcissistic, hypocritical assholes.

And how has Jones not backed up his attitude in the ring? He's a hypocrite, narcissist, and has a ridiculously huge ego...And he backs that up by being the most dominant champion in LHW history, and as a guy who likely will be the future GOAT.

Wonder if Reebok will stop sponsoring him? What will happen when Reebok doesn't want to sponsor a fighter do to bad PR but are forced to do their deal. Talk about politics......

That's unfortunate. I'm not a fan of his but I hate to see anyone get tied up in substance abuse.

If this is indeed true, hopefully the rehab takes and he's serious about kicking the habit.

What does this even mean in relation to Jones?

Dr.Acula

Banned
If its true its very sad. Children look up to sport figures. No one ask them to but they do. Hard drug or not it has been proven that Cocaine does do damage to a person body. It can cause brain damage. If its not band it should.Kids and even adults look at Jones and say " If he can do it and he's a fit athlete then I can do it and I'll be fine" That's where an addiction begins IMO.

What children are watching human cock-fighting?

This thread is full of people who:

a) Don't know anything about MMA
b) Don't know anything about cocaine.

Try them both before you judge people!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
With what these dudes put their bodies through, I'd be shocked if there wasn't any of them who aren't drugged up on something.

about time this prick gets taken down. Such an arrogant twat. From snitching on students who smoke pot to drunk driving with underaged girls. The guy can fight but he is such a clown.

It doesnt make any fucking sense that someone should get banned for weed but not coke, regardless of when they get tested. I mean even weed is technically legal in medicinal marijuana, but its banned by the UFC, so why isnt coke? Between this and giving someone without so much as an amateur fight under their belt a contract just because hes famous, this company is looking more like a dumpster fire every day

Acorn

What happens in the US where drug testing is common for normal jobs? Can and do employers pass positive cocaine or whatever tests to police?

Slightly ot

It doesnt make any fucking sense that someone should get banned for weed but not coke, regardless of when they get tested. I mean even weed is technically legal in medicinal marijuana, but its banned by the UFC, so why isnt coke? Between this and giving someone without so much as an amateur fight under their belt a contract just because hes famous, this company is looking more like a dumpster fire every day

There are drugs that - theoretically, cannot be in your system period. Anabolic steroids would fall under this.

There are drugs that can't be in your system on the day of competition only - meaning, it's okay if you were tested randomly OUT of competition and it was found in your system. Cocaine is in this category and so in marijuana. The difference is that cocaine does not stay in your system for very long (a day or two max), marijuana can stay in your system for 30 days so you can test positive for marijuana out of competition and have it overlap with the day of competition and get DQ'd. Cocaine because it doesn't stay in the system that long, the chances of something like this happening is pretty low. You'd pretty much have to be doing a line before the fight to test positive in the post fight test.

There are drugs that - theoretically, cannot be in your system period. Anabolic steroids would fall under this.

There are drugs that can't be in your system on the day of competition only - meaning, it's okay if you were tested randomly OUT of competition and it was found in your system. Cocaine is in this category and so in marijuana. The difference is that cocaine does not stay in your system for very long (a day or two max), marijuana can stay in your system for 30 days so you can test positive for marijuana out of competition and have it overlap with the day of competition and get DQ'd. Cocaine because it doesn't stay in the system that long, the chances of something like this happening is pretty low. You'd pretty much have to be doing a line before the fight to test positive in the post fight test.

My big gripe with it realistically is, in any other respected sport, a champion busted for doing coke at any time of the year, on or off season, would be banned for x amount of time, and fined. Its just another reason UFC wont be taken seriously.

I'm just surprised at the lack of action against this. Handling the use of cocaine like that is just awful. I mean it's better that he's going into rehab but what the fuck at being tested positive before the fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom