• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones arrested for DUI after totaling Bentley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I just remember nothing came of it.

That picture is gold though, a fucking monster truck in the middle of the highway. Nothing can ever beat that,

Page on JBJ said:
He's a kid, you can't really expect him to handle fame the way an adult would handle fame.

O8vmr.jpg

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I don't think so. If Nike dropped their sponsorships every time an athlete broke the law then half of the NFL and the University of Oregon would not have any.

dabig2

I don't think so. If Nike dropped their sponsorships every time an athlete broke the law then half of the NFL and the University of Oregon would not have any.

A little different in this case as he's still actively pursuing a sponsorship. If he was already sponsored by them, then yeah, no shits would be given likely.

At best, that deal would be on hold till shit blows over.

TheNatural

My Member!
Detective work on Bones Twitter, he was responding to people late last night around 11:30 or so:

AtOZj1jCQAQNigy.jpg

@JonnyBones I was supposed to tell you coach Mullins says hi too but I didn't want a #KnuckleSandwich for dinner

A "big" night out on the town for Jon I guess LOL, looks like a TGIF restaurant.

Jillian ‏@firesnooki31
@JonnyBones thank you for signing my fire helmet tonight mean a lot to me :)

16h Jon Bones Jones ‏@JonnyBones
@firesnooki31 haha no problem sister, feels good to be home

TheNatural

My Member!
Jones drinks at TGIFs. No class runs deep in this one.

Comeon, give the guy a break. It's obvious he's not a clubber, not going out dropping $100's and fighting bouncers like Mayweather. Guy had one too many with a couple of old friends at the local TGIF and didn't want to call his mom for a ride, we all been there man. Right .. right?

Comeon, give the guy a break. It's obvious he's not a clubber, not going out dropping $100's and fighting bouncers like Mayweather. Guy had one too many with a couple of old friends at the local TGIF and didn't want to call his mom for a ride, we all been there man. Right .. right?

Nope.

TheNatural

My Member!
I don't ever drink more than two beers if I am driving.

I'm just talking about how goofy it is he was hanging out at a TGIF before this apparently happened, and his mom bailed him out. I don't see how anyone could hate the guy, he's such a geek. If the guy got handed a Playstation* as a kid his life track would have probably ended up in the Gaming Discussion here right now.

* Edit from NES, I forget how young this guy is.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm just talking about how goofy it is he was hanging out at a TGIF before this apparently happened, and his mom bailed him out. I don't see how anyone could hate the guy, he's such a geek. If the guy got handed a Playstation* as a kid his life track would have probably ended up in the Gaming Discussion here right now.

* Edit from NES, I forget how young this guy is.
I think you're confusing geekdom with being a loser. They're often correlated but not exactly the same thing.

thefro

You'd figure the UFC LHC would have an entourage or an assistant or some other family member who could bail him out, instead of inconveniencing his mother...it's an additional detail of embarassment, imho.

I don't think he's made enough yet to have a huge posse. He just started making $400k per fight before bonuses after he won the belt. Probably a lot of that goes back into his camp, his house in NM, and the cars.

His trainers and stuff are all in New Mexico. His brothers are both NFL players now.

Seanspeed

Banned
Must have been pretty drunk if he crashed into a pole. I'd say his friends should have stopped him but they were probably drunk too, and also drove home(just didn't get caught).

Crazy he didn't just call a cab or something. Especially when money isn't as big an issue.

OldRosa

Banned
Haha that's hilarious! Mister goodie two shoes.

At least he doesn't smoke weed, get suspended for a year, and duck a fight he said was for charity.

0046_4g6hb.gif

Smoking weed >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DUI

TheNatural

My Member!
Haha that's hilarious! Mister goodie two shoes.

Smoking weed >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DUI

Being high while driving AND video blogging not paying attention to the road is no better.

OldRosa

Banned
Being high while driving AND video blogging not paying attention to the road is no better.

Being high while driving is nothing like drunk driving. It actually makes you drive slower and more responsible.

Not paying attention to the road isn't smart though, lol.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

tgif closes at 5am?

I had no clue Jon Jones was some "goody 2 shoes."

Because unlike your average sports fan, I only watch the actual sport.

Seriously I see more discussion of gossip and personalities in "sports threads" than I do sports.

Other than that, he should pay the same price the average person does.. unfortunately, he probably won't, since he'll have an above average lawyer. But I couldn't really care less, I'll still watch him punch and kick people in the face.

TheNatural

My Member!
I had no clue Jon Jones was some "goody 2 shoes."

Because unlike your average sports fan, I only watch the actual sport.

Seriously I see more discussion of gossip and personalities in "sports threads" than I do sports.

Other than that, he should pay the same price the average person does.. unfortunately, he probably won't, since he'll have an above average lawyer. But I couldn't really care less, I'll still watch him punch and kick people in the face.

Don't worry, most people don't. It's only the ones that like to read into and dissect everything a person says.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
“I’ve always been a person who tries to do the right thing in life, for the most part,” said Jones. “I’m no angel, but I was always the kid who snitched on the kids who had pot. I don’t want to offend the pot smokers out there, but I was kind of just a snitch. I was just down for people doing the right thing. My parents kind of raised me to be a good guy. I’ve always been down for the good side, I guess.”

Real good guy. Fuck off, prick, it was just random chance that you hit a pole instead of head-onning a car full of innocents. You have more than enough money to take a cab or hire a driver.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Being high while driving is nothing like drunk driving. It actually makes you drive slower and more responsible.

Not paying attention to the road isn't smart though, lol.

no, listen. I love marijuana. I prefer it over alcohol for numerous reasons, but no. Your judgement and capabilities are still impaired. Driving intoxicated is stupid, no matter the drug you've been using.

no, listen. I love marijuana. I prefer it over alcohol for numerous reasons, but no. Your judgement and capabilities are still impaired. Driving intoxicated is stupid, no matter the drug you've been using.
Except mushrooms, cuz then you have you, your woodgrain ancestors, and the burning tree helping you navigate.

TheNatural

My Member!
Sorry I didn't know he wasn't serious about this:

I'm not going to ever judge a fighter or any athlete by what he says. People didn't like Jones because he was "arrogant" for some reason. But then, they go and root for a guy that said this:

"Lance Armstrong did a number of things and he gave himself cancer," Sonnen said on Pro MMA Radio, as transcribed by MMA Mania. "He cheated, he did drugs, and he gave himself cancer. Well, instead of saying 'Hey listen, I cheated and gave myself cancer, don't be like me,' he actually made himself the victim and then went out and profited something like $15 million from this 'Hey, poor me, let's find a cure for cancer' campaign."

I pay no mind to it for the most part. There are a few lines I'll draw if someone, like Mayweather, gets time for beating up on a girl or his kid - I won't root for anyone like that or see how anyone can.

I just find it funny, Jones is an exciting fighter yet people hate him because he's "arrogant" - because he said he snitched on people with weed. Then a boring fighter who couldn't finish a can of ravoli says something a lot more classless and people pay no mind.

That's why I really don't care what they say, I don't expect anything from these guys. Jones made an error in judgement like 1,000 other celebrities and has to take the price. If you're going to hold on guy accountable for how you think his personality is though, you have to hold them all accountable.

And if you're going to do that in fighting it's going to be a hell of a ride. PRIDE legend Big Nog is a homophobe, Rampage went on a "Rampage" in a monster truck and is sexist, it's a long ass ride to find someone to hold accountable for what they say. I keep it in the field of play, unless they're beating up their girl like Floyd, being a psycho rapist like Tyson, or pulling a Benoit.

OldRosa

Banned

I can only speak from my own experience but I never had any problems driving after a couple of joints (I'm not going to drive if I know I'm going to get wasted). One beer too many though and I become a overconfident asshole on the road.

Zeliard

Haha, what a dunce. As beastly as he is in the ring Octagon, this makes him equally idiotic outside of it.

Can't say it's any surprise, given how many athletes and celebrities in general are basically fools. This is why I can't bring myself to care about what these people are like away from their work.

That's why I really don't care what they say, I don't expect anything from these guys. Jones made an error in judgement like 1,000 other celebrities and has to take the price. If you're going to hold on guy accountable for how you think his personality is though, you have to hold them all accountable.

And if you're going to do that in fighting it's going to be a hell of a ride. PRIDE legend Big Nog is a homophobe, Rampage went on a "Rampage" in a monster truck and is sexist, it's a long ass ride to find someone to hold accountable for what they say. I keep it in the field of play, unless they're beating up their girl like Floyd, being a psycho rapist like Tyson, or pulling a Benoit.
Yeah, it's not like Jones was involved in a completely preventable situation that kills more people every year than we've lost soldiers in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Vietnam.

I know you're trying to be logical because you like the guy and want to justify it, but in the end you're really just defending drunk driving as an "error in judgement" and that's fucking despicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom