• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC targets July 9th Rousey rematch. Holm shelved 8 months, perhaps against wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadAss2961

5BmiqRt.jpg

ESPN

The UFC has targeted a bantamweight title rematch between Holly Holm and Ronda Rousey on July 9 in Las Vegas, despite a report that Holm wishes to fight sooner.

UFC president Dana White told Los Angeles Times on Wednesday that "it's Rousey" next for Holm. The Times printed a story earlier this week, quoting Holm's manager, Lenny Fresquez, stating Holm has interest in fighting Miesha Tate instead.

White insisted Rousey would be ready.

Tate (17-5), a former Strikeforce bantamweight champion, is on a four-fight winning streak and was actually expected to fight Rousey early next year, before the UFC switched gears and announced a matchup between Rousey and Holm.

White, who has been in contact with Rousey since her defeat, told ESPN last week he and UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta should "probably lose our promoter's license" if the company didn't book a rematch. The UFC is scheduled to host a landmark UFC 200 pay-per-view event on July 9 at a newly built 20,000-seat arena in Las Vegas.
That's a long time for Holly to sit and wait for Ronda. A forced layoff from management to make sure it happens at UFC 200. Might not be fair to Rousey either to rehab and go straight back into a fight that turned out to be a terrible matchup for her.

Meanwhile, Miesha Tate still waits for a title shot she was promised back in July of this year.

OldRoutes

Crazy.

I would prefer to see Holm and Tate myself... It's not like Ronda brought anything interesting during the last fight.

OnPoint

If they wanna run Rousey right back into the saw blade, sure. Sucks for Holm. I, like many others, was interested in seeing her fight again as soon as she could.

I think the smarter thing would be let Rousey get ready to fight again, and do it when she's absolutely ready. Now I worry she'll rush back and not be ready.

This is dumb. Give Holly one match against a different competitor before this.

Let Ronda earn the shot instead of becoming John Cena.

old

That's not fair to Holm. She should be allowed to fight sooner. Hopefully now that she has more leverage she can demand more autonomy in her next contract.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Very annoyed by this. Rhonda should have to earn it back like everybody else.

I don't know how much you keep up with the UFC, but "earning it" is about twelfth on the list of ways to get a title shot. It's near the bottom of the list along with "Dana said I could have one" which really only means you have about a 30% chance of netting you an actual title fight.

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't follow UFC very closely but it does feel weird that they would just pencil in a rematch without any sort of climb on Rousey's part to earn it.

But I very much want to see them fight again!

darscot

I think we all knew the rematch was going to be for 200. Sucks for Holly, she deserves to be fighting, she is the champ and deserves the pay day. Your only on top for a very short period and need to fight as much as you can.

Fox318

Only reason Rhonda is getting this time is because of the movie commitments and her coach has is about as good as grabbing a random poster on neogaf and having him tell you how to fight.

Tate should get her fight.

Kelsdesu

I don't know how much you keep up with the UFC, but "earning it" is about twelfth on the list of ways to get a title shot. It's near the bottom of the list along with "Dana said I could have one" which really only means you have about a 30% chance of netting you an actual title fight.

My post was a naive knee jerk response. I all but expected this.

Scully

Neo Member
Seems like a bad idea. If Rousey loses again, it really is the end of her UFC career. She needs more time to recover & train. Disappointing decision.

darscot

Seems like a bad idea. If Rousey loses again, it really is the end of her UFC career. She needs more time to recover & train. Disappointing decision.

Time to train I'll give you as she has a lot to work on. Recover I don't get I think people are really over doing how injured she is.

Bubba T

Despite losing badly, Rousey is right to have a rematch. I mean, she was the defending champion. You don't just lose and then not get a rematch.

Max_Po

Banned
I hope she gets butchered again.

I watch Ronda getting KO'ed several times a week. She was shoved down our throats as the greatest thing ever; beating soccer moms and yoga practitioners.

You should all go to YouTube and watch Rogan cry ....

"Once in a life time".....

Catdaddy

This is dumb. Give Holly one match against a different competitor before this.

Let Ronda earn the shot instead of becoming John Cena.

No shit, no doubt they are looking at the money, and risking Holm losing between now and the rematch will deflate the hype from the match.. That said, they should sooner, and I really hope both women take home a nice paycheck for this...

It is what it is, I guess. There's a ton of $$$ on the table for a rematch and the UFC doesn't want to give Tate the chance to spoil it. Could blow up in their face if/when Holly wins the rematch, though. This gives Greg Jackson 8 months to continue working with Holly on defending Ronda's clinch and ground game, which she already did a great job of nullifying in the first fight.

Meanwhile, Ronda's recovering from facial surgery, getting fat, and feeling sorry for herself.

KgtUBX5.jpg

She's sticking with her camp of yes men goofs responsible for her awful stand up, it doesn't matter if it's eight months or eighteen months Ronda is going to lose again.

Dazzler

It is what it is, I guess. There's a ton of $$$ on the table for a rematch and the UFC doesn't want to give Tate the chance to spoil it. Could blow up in their face if/when Holly wins the rematch, though. This gives Greg Jackson 8 months to continue working with Holly on defending Ronda's clinch and ground game, which she already did a great job of nullifying in the first fight.

Meanwhile, Ronda's recovering from facial surgery, getting fat, and feeling sorry for herself.

KgtUBX5.jpg

This is kinda gross dude, she looks like a normal woman at the mall

to say she's getting fat is a bit much

I think we all knew the rematch was going to be for 200. Sucks for Holly, she deserves to be fighting, she is the champ and deserves the pay day. Your only on top for a very short period and need to fight as much as you can.

The biggest pay day that Holly can get comes from a rematch with Ronda. People will pay to watch Ronda crush cans but they probably won't pay to watch Holly fight anybody that isn't Ronda. If Holly fights Tate and loses, then she loses her shot at becoming the next big star and all of the pay days that come with it. If she fights Ronda and wins, she might just be the next breakthrough fighter.

Btw, I agree with Rematch; however the point is that Holly is being asked to wait so Dana can cater to Ronda.

Holly said that she likes to keep active and fight every 3 months.

WoW, this guy is a total scum bag

UFC president Dana White has informed current bantamweight champion Holly Holm that her next fight will be against Ronda Rousey, regardless of her opinion on the matter, Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times reports.
7 to 8 months isn't bad sacrifice imo, but if it goes beyond that then Rouse should lose here shot. Rematch is fair and good for the sport, Holly has to take one for the team, with in limits.

KgtUBX5.jpg

Can we keep this "getting fat" shit out of this thread?

Scully

Neo Member
Time to train I'll give you as she has a lot to work on. Recover I don't get I think people are really over doing how injured she is.

I meant recover both physically and mentally. The way Holly won that fight was pretty humiliating for Ronda. It could be beneficial for her if she could fight against opponents better suited for her fighting style first, before going against Holly again.

It would be a bad for the business though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Btw, I agree with Rematch; however the point is that Holly is being asked to wait so Dana can cater to Ronda.

Holly said that she likes to keep active and fight every 3 months.

WoW, this guy Dana is a total scum bag

UFC president Dana White has informed current bantamweight champion Holly Holm that her next fight will be against Ronda Rousey, regardless of her opinion on the matter, Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times reports.

Let's be fair: Holly wants to duck Ronda because Ronda is still the best competition available and she has everything to lose by fighting Ronda again.

studyguy

Sketch. Contract fuckery is a constant issue for boxing as well.
Fury just got stripped of the belt he literally just won over disputes like this.

darscot

The biggest pay day that Holly can get comes from a rematch with Ronda. People will pay to watch Ronda crush cans but they probably won't pay to watch Holly fight anybody that isn't Ronda. If Holly fights Tate and loses, then she loses her shot at becoming the next big star and all of the pay days that come with it. If she fights Ronda and wins, she might just be the next breakthrough fighter.

Tate was no challenge for Ronda, I don't see Holly being worried about fighting Tate. She is the Champ and every fight as the Champ is a pay day. I'm sure Holly is super confident right now and ready to fight. I think you are really underestimating Holly appeal right now, its not like she got lucky. People thought Ronda was the shit and Holly mopped the floor with her, people will be very interesting in watching Holly fight no matter the opponent.

sirap

Hate how Dana's shitting on Holly and her management team for wanting Tate. She's the number one contender, Ronda wouldn't be able to fight for at least a year, just let them fight.

Too early for a rematch. That fight was not a lucky upset for Holm. It was a bonafide one-sided domination, start to finish. Rousey is going to have barely recoverd in 9 months, nevermind developed enough to challenge Holm to a fair fight.

DKehoe

It sucks for Holm if she wants to again fight soon but she will make much more money from the Ronda rematch than she would from any other fight. Also that UFC 200 card is gonna be stacked and do a huge buyrate.

darscot

Let's be fair: Holly wants to duck Ronda because Ronda is still the best competition available and she has everything to lose by fighting Ronda again.

LOL are you serious, I haven't seen, heard or read anything that leads me to believe Holly is the type of fighter that ducks anyone. She just fucking destroyed Ronda in all aspects why the fuck would the Champ be running scared?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom