• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC targets July 9th Rousey rematch. Holm shelved 8 months, perhaps against wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ricky_Hatton_as_Ricky_Fatton.jpg
The first thing I saw was 'FAT' on his left leg. Now that's all I see.

Savitar

UFC is desperate to keep their star shining aren't they.

Holly deserves another match with someone until the wait ends.

ZoddGutts

This has annoyed me about UFC long ass waits (inactive) for fights for each fighter. Holm shouldn't be forced wait for Rousey.

Advantage to Holmes then. Coming off a rehab to solve Holly is going to be tough, meanwhile, that's nothing but 8 months of film work and preparation to defend takedowns for Holly.

Dana shouldn't be so nervous. Holly would beat Tate no question.

There are two separate issues here. I had a couple of posters (not you) try to tell me that I wouldn't post such a thing about a male fighter when, in fact, that's happens all the time. And in Hendrick's case, it's been well publicized and has affected him inside the cage. That's the first issue, and the one I was making the PC comment about.

As for your comment above, you're still fixating on the fact that I brought up her weight while ignoring the totality of my point. Ronda's not in a good place right now, mentally or physically. Even though we're months and months away from the start of their respective camps, Holly can train at Jackson's MMA between now and then. She can continue to sharpen up on her grappling and the coaches can start helping her focus on what she needs to do to be successful in a rematch. Meanwhile Ronda can't really do much of anything. I happen to think that's an advantage. Maybe I'm wrong. Am I really making no sense? Just tell me. I can stomach it, if not.
I hate discussing MMA on this forum. The usual bullshit permeating through every thread comes into a thread about combat sports.

What you said wasn't wrong all. Rousey balloons betweens fights and the first time she has her cardio tested she wilts and loses. She looked unhealthy at 135 because of how drastically she cuts.

Just post on Sherdog man, you won't have to put up with this bullshit over there. Better gifs too.

I hate discussing MMA on this forum. The usual bullshit permeating through every thread comes into a thread about combat sports.

What you said wasn't wrong all. Rousey balloons betweens fights and the first time she has her cardio tested she wilts and loses. She looked unhealthy at 135 because of how drastically she cuts.

Just post on Sherdog man, you won't have to put up with this bullshit over there. Better gifs too.

Oh, I do. Been a member there since 2002. I think that's why I have to be careful posting in MMA threads here. Things that wouldn't even raise an eyebrow over there don't fly at all here on GAF. And that's a good thing- I appreciate GAF for what it is, too.

Oh, I do. Been a member there since 2002. I think that's why I have to be careful posting in MMA threads here. Things that wouldn't even raise an eyebrow over there don't fly at all here on GAF. And that's a good thing- I appreciate GAF for what it is, too.
Well the level of discussion here is pretty shit as half the people have fuck all to say besides sticking up for Ronda because she is female. Ironic, since she's a fucking bully and someone who beats up her boyfriends as told in her own book.

LOl @ being accused of fat shaming a fighter between camps.

Meanwhile, Miesha Tate still waits for a title shot she was promised back in July of this year.

Actually, keeping Miesha out of the title mix at 135 is the best thing for her. Miesha is dumb as a box of rocks, so she probably doesn't understand this, but it really is best to keep her out of a title fight at 135 right now.

The best thing for Tate to do would be to wait for UFC to roll out the women's 125lb. division and go for the title there. She can make 125 and get an entirely new lease on life with her skillset. Conversely, if she gets killed again in a 135lb. title fight, for the third time in a row, she's done in that division in any money-making capacity.

If she goes to 125 and wins, she's back in the money. They could even book a "champion vs. champion" superfight against WHOEVER holds the 135 gold down the road that will make her rich.

Having said that, I don't like keeping Holly on the shelf until Ronda is ready. Yes, the money is in the rematch. But that's too long for the new champ to wait. Let her fight somebody else.

fader

Actually, keeping Miesha out of the title mix at 135 is the best thing for her. Miesha is dumb as a box of rocks, so she probably doesn't understand this, but it really is best to keep her out of a title fight at 135 right now.

The best thing for Tate to do would be to wait for UFC to roll out the women's 125lb. division and go for the title there. She can make 125 and get an entirely new lease on life with her skillset. Conversely, if she gets killed again in a 135lb. title fight, for the third time in a row, she's done in that division in any money-making capacity.

If she goes to 125 and wins, she's back in the money. They could even book a "champion vs. champion" superfight against WHOEVER holds the 135 gold down the road that will make her rich.

I was thinking she should probably go to 125 too

Maybe we will see a Tate vs Nakai rematch at 125, i know nikai has been begging for a 125 division for a while.

slabrock

Banned
So she can't even eat an apple for 3-6 months because her teeth are jacked up and she is getting a rematch in what, 7 months. She was quite unprepared for the last fight and now she can't train and Holm has all the time in the world. Seems like White is throwing Rousey to the wolves to get that PPV money at UFC 200

TxdoHawk

Seems like a bad idea. If Rousey loses again, it really is the end of her UFC career. She needs more time to recover & train. Disappointing decision.

It's going to be the end of her UFC career regardless. Rousey is almost as likely to retire if she beats Holm.

Ronda isn't stupid, she's quickly reaching her "Dwayne Johnson" moment, the point where her star power means getting punched in the face for a living quickly becomes unappealing compared to acting in a Hollywood movie or doing endorsement deals for a lot more money and a lot less pain. She dropped a giant hint about this in her ESPN interview.

That's why Dana arranged this fight first, and that's why he's not going to let Holm pummel the Cupcake for an easy payday just yet. Holm can whoop the other weaksauce talent in the Bantamweight division for the next six years if she wants, but the window for the Rousey rematch will be a small one, and it's getting smaller by the day.

She doesn't even look that bad IMO, whereas the guys in the pictures posted are CLEARLY out of shape

She just looks like a normal person

Smells like double standards to me.

Of course, so does a bunch of armchair MMA fans ripping on athletes for letting themselves live a little on their off time. The process of camp -> weight cut -> get the shit beaten out of you seems excruciating, I'd want a couple of real fucking meals after that too.

Almost every contract before a title fight has the champion writing in a rematch clause should they lose. AFAIK, that's pretty standard. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Common in boxing, not so much in MMA (UFC anyway).

edit:
Dana goofball White said:
There's no such thing as an automatic rematch. Back in the day, in boxing, when they would negotiate contracts there would be a rematch provision, meaning, if I have the title and I lose this fight I get an automatic rematch... That doesn't happen in the UFC. We rematch fights that we think a) deserve it or b) people want to see. So there really is no automatic rematch, there's no such thing. For instance, Chael Sonnen and Anderson Silva. Chael Sonnen wins 4.75 of those rounds and then loses by armbar. The first guy ever to really take it to Anderson Silva and put on a fight like that, and people are still talking about the fight today. And people want to see the rematch. And, Anderson needs to be motivated and I guarantee you this one's going to motivate him. In most cases [a fighter needing to win another fight to get back to a title shot] is usually what happens; but in this case where the guy lost with a minute and 30 left in the fight that he completely dominated - and Anderson Silva is the best pound for pound fighter in the world - put them back in there and let's do the fight again."

Skeyser

It's going to be the end of her UFC career regardless. Rousey is almost as likely to retire if she beats Holm.

Ronda isn't stupid, she's quickly reaching her "Dwayne Johnson" moment, the point where her star power means getting punched in the face for a living quickly becomes unappealing compared to acting in a Hollywood movie or doing endorsement deals for a lot more money and a lot less pain. She dropped a giant hint about this in her ESPN interview.

That's why Dana arranged this fight first, and that's why he's not going to let Holm pummel the Cupcake for an easy payday just yet. Holm can whoop the other weaksauce talent in the Bantamweight division for the next six years if she wants, but the window for the Rousey rematch will be a small one, and it's getting smaller by the day.

Smells like double standards to me.

Of course, so does a bunch of armchair MMA fans ripping on athletes for letting themselves live a little on their off time. The process of camp -> weight cut -> get the shit beaten out of you seems excruciating, I'd want a couple of real fucking meals after that too.

She's a terrible actress though, at least Dwayne has a shit ton of charisma. Plus her movie career will be hurt if she keeps getting annihilated by Holly. She'd be better off just retiring now if she cares about her career.

Demoskinos

Hey Dana is a promoter and he sees dollar signs galore for a rematch. And he's right but also its absolutely not fair to anyone else that isn't Rousey.

TxdoHawk

She's a terrible actress though, at least Dwayne has a shit ton of charisma.

I haven't seen her act, so I can't comment, but in modern Hollywood the talent bar is set pretty low.

Plus her movie career will be hurt if she keeps getting annihilated by Holly.

Possible, but unlikely. She's carved her past history out as a dominant fighter and can ride it for a good long while, with careful PR management

She'd be better off just retiring now if she cares about her career.

Would she though? Getting beaten by Holm a second time might be bad for her career. Being forever known as the previously dominant fighter who slinked away with her tail between her legs after being whooped once...much more likely to be career poison.

Hey Dana is a promoter and he sees dollar signs galore for a rematch. And he's right but also its absolutely not fair to anyone else that isn't Rousey.

This is probably much better for Holm in the long run. In fact, I'd say she stands to benefit the most, potentially.

If she whoops Rousey a second time, that's a guaranteed big payday in exchange for missing one measly fight, and she can knock over all the cans she wants afterward.

If she loses, or wins in a close decision, that potentially sets up a third fight and a mind-boggling amount of money.

Age is just a number. What matters is how much damage your body has taken. So she should be looking for less fights, bigger paychecks.

As much as I want to see Holly fight sooner, (and I really do think she should fight sooner,) the "not fair" thing is a dumb thing to say. "Not fair" to whom?

Holly made more in the Rousey fight than she's made her entire fighting career. In the rematch, she'll make even more than that. The only "money" fight available to Holm that she could take in the interim is a fight with Tate, which I've explained above, is a bad idea.

And a Holm/Tate fight wouldn't make 1/10th the money Holm/Rousey II will make.

If Cyborg had continued her weight-cutting efforts, Holm might have had a money fight opportunity there with her. But once again, Cyborg did the inexplicably dumb career move and has now abandoned her plans to cut to the money-making division so she could take another minor league 145 lbs. fight in a glorified bingo hall. Nothing you can do about Cyborg continuing to not want to make big money and making stupid choices.

So really, the rematch is kinda what we're stuck with. The amount of money Holm "loses" not fighting someone like an Alexis Davis or Cat Zingano on a "B-show" pales in comparison to the amount of money she is guaranteed to make from the PPV percentage points she'll get in the rematch on the top of the card of a huge show.

"Not fair" really doesn't enter into it. Holm is making more money this way, and not potentially taking any damage.

TxdoHawk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As6LHUuMQk4

She makes Michelle Rodriguez look like Daniel Day-Lewis.

[edit]

No one can watch her acting and seriously think she has a career in movies other than having an odd cameo here and there.

Nobody's going to pull her ear for the next Shakespeare adaptation, that's for sure, but let's be realistic: She's going to be cast in action movies, like this sixth sequel to an overdone bro car fetish romp. I don't think she has much to worry about.

That said, there's always sponsorships. After that cringe-inducing ESPN interview description, maybe she should go find a good dentist to cut an endorsement deal with.

Fitts

Since her team is lobbying for Tate, I hope Holm is at least being compensated to sit on the shelf.

Also, apparently Ronda's retiring if she loses to Holm for a second time. What a competitor. She's loving life when she's steamrolling weak opponents but is looking for the exit when faced with adversity.

scabro

As much as I want to see Holly fight sooner, (and I really do think she should fight sooner,) the "not fair" thing is a dumb thing to say. "Not fair" to whom?

Holly made more in the Rousey fight than she's made her entire fighting career. In the rematch, she'll make even more than that. The only "money" fight available to Holm that she could take in the interim is a fight with Tate, which I've explained above, is a bad idea.

And a Holm/Tate fight wouldn't make 1/10th the money Holm/Rousey II will make.

If Cyborg had continued her weight-cutting efforts, Holm might have had a money fight opportunity there with her. But once again, Cyborg did the inexplicably dumb career move and has now abandoned her plans to cut to the money-making division so she could take another minor league 145 lbs. fight in a glorified bingo hall. Nothing you can do about Cyborg continuing to not want to make big money and making stupid choices.

So really, the rematch is kinda what we're stuck with. The amount of money Holm "loses" not fighting someone like an Alexis Davis or Cat Zingano on a "B-show" pales in comparison to the amount of money she is guaranteed to make from the PPV percentage points she'll get in the rematch on the top of the card of a huge show.

"Not fair" really doesn't enter into it. Holm is making more money this way, and not potentially taking any damage.

does holly get ppv points?

as far as i know her manager negotiated a contract where her pay went up drastically if she fought and beat ronda.

if she doesn't then it doesnt matter to her who she fights or how many buys it does. thats the ufc's concern, which is why they want the rematch next.

sounds to me like holly is making a pretty good base pay if she is pushing so hard to fight sooner and more often.

does holly get ppv points?

Yes. Everybody in the main/co-main of a PPV get points if they fulfill their media/promotional appearances. Even Holly Holm with her idiot manager, Lenny Fresquez. It's been standard for a while now. Hell, both Weidmann and Rockhold have said in interviews this week how happy they are to have McGregor on top of this card, for that reason. It's a huge amount of money on top of the fight/win money, and they don't have the pressure of drawing. It's also why EVERYBODY wants to be on the UFC 200 card.

I wouldn't put too much stock into anything Holm's manager says. He's a huge talker, but not too smart. He almost soured the deal with UFC in 2013 by trying to go for the instant "six figure contract and title fight" deal two years ago. UFC wanted to take the more patient approach, and look how it's paid off for Holly.

Yaari

And now this is actually the only WBW fight planned in the entire division. Ronda might have created WMMA, but the entire division is now on hold. I feel bad for the women fighting in that division. It's all about Ronda, even after she lost.

Holly is 34y/o and wants to be active. They should be happy with that. Instead they are booking fights 8 months ahead.

My issue is you conflated an athlete gaining weight in the offseason with "feeling sorry for themselves". Unless you consider that a separate point, in which case...how do you know that?

I could be projecting what I want to be there onto her, but the ESPN article that just came out is pretty much what painted this picture for me. Basically, she's not in a good place, laying low, eating junk, and trying to face the reality of what just happened. That's the way her quotes strike me.

My issue is you conflated an athlete gaining weight in the offseason with "feeling sorry for themselves". Unless you consider that a separate point, in which case...how do you know that?

I just saw this thread, so I'm very late on this, but that comes from Rousey herself. She said if she hadn't gone to that Marine Ball she would have stayed at home crying and eating ice cream (probably feeling sorry for herself), like she had been doing up to that point.

It's not news she's been devastated by the loss. I completely agree with the posters that say she won't have enough time to get in shape, let alone find a new gameplan in such little time, while Holly has all the time in the world to perfect hers.

The rematch won't be close at all if it happens at UFC 200. Holly is ending Ronda, no 2 ways about it.

BadAss2961

Having said that, I don't like keeping Holly on the shelf until Ronda is ready. Yes, the money is in the rematch. But that's too long for the new champ to wait. Let her fight somebody else.
Miesha should wait for a 125 division that may or may not ever come while she's still in her prime? Nah.

Fighting Ronda again was probably going to be a bad move, but so what... I credit her for still wanting to beat Ronda's ass even though she can't. Miesha's a good fighter and Holly might be a better matchup for her. It's not impossible for her to win that.

You can give Ronda 5 years to prepare if she doesn't get rid of unibrow and get a real training team she's gonna get the whole KFC menu again when she fights Holly.

sirap

I don't even want to see Ronda fight until she's fully healed. We've seen what happens when fighters get back into the cage after getting KO'd in their previous fight. The brain needs time to heal, and a few months isn't enough.

She also has a fuckton of projects in Hollywood, which will leave her very little time to train.

MjFrancis

Aldo getting a rematch makes more sense than this shit.
Aldo getting an instant rematch only makes sense if you discount the financial possibilities - which are the only factors the UFC takes into consideration.

The organization has a history of granting immediate rematches for ex-champions, sometimes earned, sometimes not. They were all in their financial interest however, for better or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom