• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC targets July 9th Rousey rematch. Holm shelved 8 months, perhaps against wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdPizza

Banned
100% that comment wouldn't have been made if it were a male athlete

THAT to me is the gross part

You haven't been in a Taco Bell thread in the past 5 years, have you? Nothing but pictures of overweight Josh Freeman.

c4s_freeman121509_98586c.jpg

Nibiru

Banned
There are so few title fights so I can't stand it when we have to wait so long for a title defense. I also think that Holly should get to fight again before the rematch. That said Ronda was champion for a long time so she deserve some consideration and probably should get first stab at beating Holly. I'm torn on it tbh. All I know for certain is that I will be rooting for Holly in that rematch that's for damn sure.

Goliath

Holly Holm is 34

It's in Holly's best interests to fight as often as possible because she probably doesn't have long left in the prize fighting arena. Maybe she wants to move on eventually and do other things, but instead she has to sit around and wait 7 months for someone who's not even guaranteed to be able to meet that matchup.

I don't know how Ronda goes from needing 3-6 months to heal to training camp to fight all within 7 months. She needs several months to fully heal and then she needs like an additional year to train her deficiencies. I think anyone wanting Ronda to fight in July actually just wants to see her die. This fight is NOT in Ronda's best interest.

And not getting injured or losing in the meantime will guarantee that she will get a huge pay day when she fight Rousey which is what people want to see. Fighting these scrubs for a much smaller pot and accidently getting injured will deflate all the hype for the big pay day fight and earn her less then sitting waiting and getting a big pay day.

darscot

You guys realize Ronda's face is probably swollen from surgery, right?

Are a few stitches in her lip really surgery? They used a plastic surgeon so to minimize the scar and speed healing. If she is clear of a concussion she would be physically good to go in like a month.

rokkerkory

Holly Holm is 34

It's in Holly's best interests to fight as often as possible because she probably doesn't have long left in the prize fighting arena. Maybe she wants to move on eventually and do other things, but instead she has to sit around and wait 7 months for someone who's not even guaranteed to be able to meet that matchup.

I don't know how Ronda goes from needing 3-6 months to heal to training camp to fight all within 7 months. She needs several months to fully heal and then she needs like an additional year to train her deficiencies. I think anyone wanting Ronda to fight in July actually just wants to see her die. This fight is NOT in Ronda's best interest.

Interesting, this sounds a bit wacko then. All in an attempt to make $$$ i bet.

Also you clearly don't make that comment if it's a male

You're right. Nobody ever comments on male fighters blowing up between camps.

BPRGvvhCIAEvKft.jpg_large.jpg

johny-hendricks-looking-fat-with-sandwich.jpg

B8-RROKIEAA1ymF.jpg:large

You guys can act butthurt all you want. Whatever you do, don't take your PC goggles off and look at the main point of my original post, which was that Ronda is a self-admitted wreck right now, and Holly isn't. The UFC carving the rematch in stone 8 months before it happens is basically giving Holly a big head start between now and when their official training camps fire up late next spring.

You should read more mma foruns. People talk about male fighters getting fat between fights all the time usually with very harsh comments.

Happens in Boxing too.

The amount of stick Ricky Hatton got was insane, people were calling him ricky "fatton".

I think his career may have gone a bit different if he had managed to keep in shape off-match.

What? She's an athlete. Are you going into the NFL thread protecting Jameis Winston's honor?

I don't give a fuck about Rousey or her honor. I think she has some repugnant views and got what was coming to her, given how arrogant she was.

It's a stupid thing to bring up a few weeks after a big fight, when she might not be fighting for almost a year, especially since she's not that big. I don't dump on bodybuilders in their off-season, and while this is clearly not the same situation, it's not like she's letting herself go.

You guys can act butthurt all you want. Whatever you do, don't take your PC goggles off and look at the main point of my original post, which was that Ronda is a self-admitted wreck right now, and Holly isn't. The UFC carving the rematch in stone 8 months before it happens is basically giving Holly a big head start between now and when their official training camps fire up late next spring.

This kinda proves the point, though. She's between fights--a LONG way between fights, or even camp. Keep pushing the butthurt PC angle, though.

Garlador

Man, even when she's lost, Dana White still acts like she's the most important person in the UFC, and will put the Champion on hold until his broken angel is mended and ready to go (or maybe not).

I know, I know. It's good business. It'll sell a lot. Still sucks that Holm has to sit around waiting for Ronda to heal up when there are plenty of other fights that could be had.

dabig2

And not getting injured or losing in the meantime will guarantee that she will get a huge pay day when she fight Rousey which is what people want to see. Fighting these scrubs for a much smaller pot and accidently getting injured will deflate all the hype for the big pay day fight and earn her less then sitting waiting and getting a big pay day.

I bet if you ask Holly, who already stated numerous times she likes to keep active because first and foremost she's a fighter, that she would like to fight in February and then that leaves her enough time to rematch in July if Ronda is able to meet that challenge. Strike while the iron is hot. A Tate/Holly matchup will make you a lot of money in the interim.

Sometimes you have to take a "risk" (I don't see Tate/Holly being that much of a risk in terms of Holly losing the championship or being injured and sidelines past UFC 200). You know who's more at risk of missing UFC 200? Ronda.

Man, even when she's lost, Dana White still acts like she's the most important person in the UFC, and will put the Champion on hold until his broken angel is mended and ready to go (or maybe not).

I know, I know. It's good business. It'll sell a lot. Still sucks that Holm has to sit around waiting for Ronda to heal up when there are plenty of other fights that could be had.

It's actually best for Holm as well. If she takes a fight with Miesha and loses or gets injured, then there goes her UFC 200 pay day. UFC 200 will likely be the biggest pay day of her career. The UFC doesn't want to risk something going wrong between now and then, and neither should she.

I bet if you ask Holly, who already stated numerous times she likes to keep active because first and foremost she's a fighter, that she would like to fight in February and then that leaves her enough time to rematch in July if Ronda is able to meet that challenge. Strike while the iron is hot. A Tate/Holly matchup will make you a lot of money in the interim.

Sometimes you have to take a "risk" (I don't see Tate/Holly being that much of a risk in terms of Holly losing the championship or being injured and sidelines past UFC 200). You know who's more at risk of missing UFC 200? Ronda.

Holly's getting older which means she needs more time to recover from fights. Doing two training camps and fighting Tate between now and July is a huge risk. Just look at the number of main events that have been scrapped in the last few years due to fighters getting injured while training.

This kinda proves the point, though. She's between fights--a LONG way between fights, or even camp. Keep pushing the butthurt PC angle, though.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on there. Lolling at Fat BJ and Fat Chuck during weigh ins is one thing, but I don't think Rousey is medically cleared to run on a treadmill, much less get back to normal training right now.

No way you don't want to see a third fight between those two though. That's why I see this as dumb. If Tate beat Holm then a Rousey - Tate fight would seem natural. Then when Rousey snaps her arm a third time, Holm can have a rematch. Or Holm just beats Tate and that's that. Either scenario seems better than this.

Still nowhere near the draw of Rousey vs Holm II. The revenge vs solidification narrative is too good to put at risk.

Dazzler

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on there. Lolling at Fat BJ and Fat Chuck during weigh ins is one thing, but I don't think Rousey is medically cleared to run on a treadmill, much less get back to normal training right now.

She doesn't even look that bad IMO, whereas the guys in the pictures posted are CLEARLY out of shape

She just looks like a normal person

Rymuth

I seriously regret not discovering UFC-GAF earlier. In spite of having no interest in UFC, you folks have been absolutely gold. You're all treasures, every single one of you.

I'm in the for the rematch just to read your posts ^^

There are two separate issues here. I had a couple of posters (not you) try to tell me that I wouldn't post such a thing about a male fighter when, in fact, that's happens all the time. And in Hendrick's case, it's been well publicized and has affected him inside the cage. That's the first issue, and the one I was making the PC comment about.

As for your comment above, you're still fixating on the fact that I brought up her weight while ignoring the totality of my point. Ronda's not in a good place right now, mentally or physically. Even though we're months and months away from the start of their respective camps, Holly can train at Jackson's MMA between now and then. She can continue to sharpen up on her grappling and the coaches can start helping her focus on what she needs to do to be successful in a rematch. Meanwhile Ronda can't really do much of anything. I happen to think that's an advantage. Maybe I'm wrong. Am I really making no sense? Just tell me. I can stomach it, if not.

There are two separate issues here. I had a couple of posters (not you) try to tell me that I wouldn't post such a thing about a male fighter when, in fact, that's happens all the time.

Yeah, that was me, and you wouldn't do that to someone right off a fight, guaranteed, unless you're just a total garbage heap of a person

Hell, the only reason we even see photos of her right now is because she's Rousey and isn't in shape, don't get it twisted

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Is that enough time for Ronda? I feel she's going to get smashed again. Especially if she doesn't get rid of those yes men.

It's clearly not enough time. Ronda is 3-6 months away from taking contact much less being able to work on the things she needs to in order to overcome Holly. An immediate rematch heavily favors Holm IMO.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
tsGQmni.png

"Wait, we're not allowed to talk about fighters getting out of shape in their off time any more? Does that mean I can go back to welterweight?"

There are two separate issues here. I had a couple of posters (not you) try to tell me that I wouldn't post such a thing about a male fighter when, in fact, that's happens all the time. And in Hendrick's case, it's been well publicized and has affected him inside the cage. That's the first issue, and the one I was making the PC comment about.

As for your comment above, you're still fixating on the fact that I brought up her weight while ignoring the totality of my point. Ronda's not in a good place right now, mentally or physically. Even though we're months and months away from the start of their respective camps, Holly can train at Jackson's MMA between now and then. She can continue to sharpen up on her grappling and the coaches can start helping her focus on what she needs to do to be successful in a rematch. I happen to think that's an advantage. Maybe I'm wrong.

I agree completely that she is a wreck, mentally and physically. I just don't agree that she's "getting fat" at this point. Looks like she's just softer than normal.

Again, I'm not coming to Rousey's rescue. I skipped that bandwagon and I think she lost in a way fitting for the way she was acting. Saying she's getting fat just seemed like an overkill/dumping on her kinda comment that wasn't really relevant. If she continues gaining weight? Yeah, that's an issue, I agree.

Yeah, that was me, and you wouldn't do that to someone right off a fight, guaranteed, unless you're just a total garbage heap of a person

Hell, the only reason we even see photos of her right now is because she's Rousey and isn't in shape, don't get it twisted

We're seeing pictures of her because she's Ronda Rousey and she just got KOed after Zuffa spent years telling everyone who would listen that she was a once in a lifetime talent. The thirst would be real regardless of what kind of shape she was in.

Time to train I'll give you as she has a lot to work on. Recover I don't get I think people are really over doing how injured she is.
When you are KOd stiff you need time to recover or your easier to get kod again. Whenever someone comes back after getting kod we see them getting dropped more and kod more most of the time and that's the reason. Some say you really shouldn't even spar until you've had more than a year to recover.

Lol you post Hendricks when he's the most made fun of fatty in mma. DC also caught plenty of shit.

ESPN just posted a video where they mention that after the fight even Rousey's camp was questioning whether her next fight should be against Holly. They seem to even notice the gap between the two.

As far as the layoff for Holly goes, it's understandable from UFC's standpoint. If Holly fights and loses, then the winner of that isn't going to be nearly as big a draw for the Rousey fight at UFC 200. Especially since Holly's camp apparently mentioned finding Miesha, who Rousey's already beat once. And if Rousey fights someone else before then and loses, then that's pretty much it for her as far as being a big draw. So this is really their only option.

ESPN just posted a video where they mention that after the fight even Rousey's camp was questioning whether her next fight should be against Holly. They seem to even notice the gap between the two.

As far as the layoff for Holly goes, it's understandable from UFC's standpoint. If Holly fights and loses, then the winner of that isn't going to be nearly as big a draw for the Rousey fight at UFC 200. Especially since Holly's camp apparently mentioned finding Miesha, who Rousey's already beat once. And if Rousey fights someone else before then and loses, then that's pretty much it for her as far as being a big draw. So this is really their only option.

Ronda already beat Miesha twice. That's why Miesha was promised a title shot against Ronda, but then Holm got the fight instead. Nobody wants Ronda vs. Miesha 3 except for Miesha.

hahahaha

I totally forgot about nas man. bit nasty to be going in on him 15 years later though.

Naseem never took training seriously as evidenced of him being overweight at the end of his training camp in preparation for Barrera.

This was him 8 weeks before the historic fight:

naseem_hamed_2001_01_23.jpg

Most boxing fans were predicting him to lose (and lose badly) in the matchup because Naseem let himself go before the biggest fight of his career, against the most dangerous opponent he has ever faced.

I'm perfectly fine with Ronda getting some time off before the rematch, which makes sense. But they should let Holly defend her title against someone else in the mean time.

Ronda already beat Miesha twice. That's why Miesha was promised a title shot against Ronda, but then Holm got the fight instead. Nobody wants Ronda vs. Miesha 3 except for Miesha.

Eh, beyond Holm vs Rousey II, Tate vs Rousey III is probably the biggest match they could put together right now.

Fox318

that cormier pic is gold lol

Anth0ny

it's best for business. that rematch is possibly the biggest fight UFC can do, period. of course they're going to save it for UFC 200 and not risk Holm losing in the meantime and fucking it up.

darscot

When you are KOd stiff you need time to recover or your easier to get kod again. Whenever someone comes back after getting kod we see them getting dropped more and kod more most of the time and that's the reason. Some say you really shouldn't even spar until you've had more than a year to recover.

I said in another post concussion is the issue but if she is clear of that she will be physically good to go in a month. I haven't heard anything about concussion symptoms, just a lot about her "broken jaw" and "facial surgery". On that front she got some stitches and lose teeth, if she is a fighter that is nothing.

ApharmdX

Banned
I hate how boxing's fighter-centric structure denies us great matchups, but this kind of garbage is the counterpoint to that. How is this good for Holm, at 34, a new champion, to have to rematch a woman that she beat soundly, rather than to get an additional title defense in and increase her profile (as well as her earnings!)? This is good for one party only- the UFC. It's not good for Rousey either, because if she loses again to Holm her MMA career is over.

How do these guys get paid?

Holm will likely get some endorsements with her newfound fame, and since fighters cannot endorse products (except Reebok) at official UFC events, her endorsement money shouldn't be significantly impacted by not fighting.

But the honest answer is, "they don't". Holm made $30,000 from Reebok for KO'ing Rousey, for instance. A fight that broke 1m PPV buys. Her total disclosed purse was $180k.

jabuseika

100% that comment wouldn't have been made if it were a male athlete

lol, guess you never been around sports people.

This sucks for Holly, she deserves to get payed, not wait who knows how long until Ronda is back, if she will be back at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom