• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC targets July 9th Rousey rematch. Holm shelved 8 months, perhaps against wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a long time away and more than enough time for Holm to have another fight. I understand that another fight is a risk of a big UFC fight if she loses but FFS. They already underrated and undersold Holm for the first fight and now they clearly don't have any confidence in her to keep the belt. They will sell the entire next fight all on Rousey again.

I really hope Holm recks Rousey and I don't even have anything against Rousey. They are treating Holm with contempt for her accomplishment.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Sounds like Ronda has surronded herself with shitty people, http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/12/...rverdyan-under-oath-creditor-meeting-ufc-news
[Writer's note: In addition to being the GFC accountant, Narek Alumyan is also Ronda Rousey's business manager, has been reported by ESPN's Darren Rovell to "run" Rowdy Ronda Inc., and had a 2011 bankruptcy case of his own with over $700,000 in debts, less than $3,000 in assets, and a claim of fraud by Burbank City Federal Credit Union which was eventually settled.]

Yep. 100%. It's also best for business. Also Rousey beat Tate twice. Sooo yeah.
No way you don't want to see a third fight between those two though. That's why I see this as dumb. If Tate beat Holm then a Rousey - Tate fight would seem natural. Then when Rousey snaps her arm a third time, Holm can have a rematch. Or Holm just beats Tate and that's that. Either scenario seems better than this.

Let's be fair: Holly wants to duck Ronda because Ronda is still the best competition available and she has everything to lose by fighting Ronda again.

She also has a lot to gain from fighting Ronda again. Ronda is one of the biggest draws in the UFC and by far the largest draw in the women's division. And despite the fact that Holly won decisively, I'm sure there are people out there that think it was a fluke. Weidman crushed Anderson twice and there were still people saying that he got lucky both times.

darscot

It sucks for Holm if she wants to again fight soon but she will make much more money from the Ronda rematch than she would from any other fight. Also that UFC 200 card is gonna be stacked and do a huge buyrate.

I think we can all agree the rematch makes perfect sense for 200, but Holly deserves a fight in the middle.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Let's be fair: Holly wants to duck Ronda because Ronda is still the best competition available and she has everything to lose by fighting Ronda again.

I dont think Holly gives a shit about some perfect record crap, if she wants to fight she's going to fight. Other people are concerned about story lines, Holly seems to be solely focused on combat in the ring. She doesn't have to duck anyone being such a huge underdog in the minds of many, if she loses the 2nd fight theres always a part three.

OnPoint

Get accused of ducking someone you already beat the shit out of. What a world.

But she did duck her...

holly-holm-ducks-ronda-rousey.gif

sirap

If it's a close fight, sure. But immediate rematches like this one and Werdum/Cain are complete bullshit.

Yeah, and this isn't like Anderson/Weidman 1 where Anderson looked competent but got knocked out for clowning around. Holly destroyed Ronda. Neutralized every strength she had. Even her arm-bar attempt didn't do jack shit to Holly.

It's fucking ridiculous that Dana's excusing Ronda's loss because of her distractions. He hasn't given Holly an ounce of credit since she's won. I have no doubt that they're hoping to postpone her next fight as long as possible. Holly's 34, she deserves to fight while she's still in her prime.

Dana's still acting like Ronda's the champ, and it's disgusting.

DKehoe

I think we can all agree the rematch makes perfect sense for 200, but Holly deserves a fight in the middle.

That would be the ideal, promotion wise, but there's no guarantee it would play out that way. So many big match ups get derailed because of stuff like that so I can't really blame the UFC for wanting to guarantee that match as best they can.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Despite losing badly, Rousey is right to have a rematch. I mean, she was the defending champion. You don't just lose and then not get a rematch.
What is this WWE? If you got beat, you got beat. In a fair world you shouldn't get a rematch, this wasn't even a "fluke" victory or a close match. Still I get it, it's all about the money.

darscot

That would be the ideal, promotion wise, but there's no guarantee it would play out that way. So many big match ups get derailed because of stuff like that so I can't really blame the UFC for wanting to guarantee that match as best they can.

Yeah if I was Dana I'm shelving Holly too but I would would feel dirty about it and make sure she gets compensated.

DKehoe

Yeah if I was Dana I'm shelving Holly too but I would would feel dirty about it and make sure she gets compensated.

Yeh, hopefully they help her out to make up for the time out. Since she will have gotten PPV points on that last fight she will be doing not too bad for herself.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Despite losing badly, Rousey is right to have a rematch. I mean, she was the defending champion. You don't just lose and then not get a rematch.

You get a rematch if the fight was close, this one wasn't even competitive.

Ithil

Why not wait for Rousey to be 100% again? This sounds bad.

Because it's UFC 200. UFC 100 was their biggest ever PPV, 200 is likely to break that, and if they have a massive match like this rematch would be, they'd be guaranteed to top 100.

This is kinda gross dude, she looks like a normal woman at the mall

to say she's getting fat is a bit much

Can we keep this "getting fat" shit out of this thread?

Oh, fer fuck's sake, fellas. We're not talking about a normal woman at the mall, and I obviously wasn't looking to disparage people with weight disorders. I think the fact that the most prominent female athlete in the world looks like this a few weeks after getting KO'ed is relevant to the discussion. Meanwhile Holly is rolling around looking like Holly.

FStop7

Banned
Predictable.

"Fuck the champion's prerogative and fuck Ronda's health, I need my monies!!!!"

When Rousey ends up concussed again (or worse), I hope Dana feels real good about it.

Furyous

Ronda needs to take a minimum of one year off and come back hungry. She doesn't stand a chance against Holly coming fresh off rehab. This is not a good idea for anyone involved. Another knockout loss ends Ronda's career in the eyes of mainstream fans so it's in the best interest of UFC long-term to wait. Free Holly to fight Miesha and let Ronda take her time coming back.

I typed out a response refuting all of the CM Punk libel but decided against posting it because this post is about Holly.

Pandacon

I understand it from a business sense, but I would like to see Champions defend their belt more than once a year, and I think if Holly wants to fight more she should, mainly for my viewing pleasure though.

Also, she's is up there in age, so I don't think she has many fighting years left and she probably wants to make the most of it while she can.

Money is money though, UFC 200 will be pretty huge, unless someone bruises a rib I guess.

Dazzler

Oh, fer fuck's sake, fellas. We're not talking about a normal woman at the mall, and I obviously wasn't looking to disparage people with weight disorders. I think the fact that the most prominent female athlete in the world looks like this a few weeks after getting KO'ed is relevant to the discussion. Meanwhile Holly is rolling around looking like Holly.

100% that comment wouldn't have been made if it were a male athlete

THAT to me is the gross part

I think the fact that the most prominent female athlete in the world looks like this a few weeks after getting KO'ed is relevant to the discussion. Meanwhile Holly is rolling around looking like Holly.

Rousey is medically suspended from working out for a long time, no?

Also you clearly don't make that comment if it's a male

Goliath

Why are people crying for Holly? She gets to bask in her victory a little longer, train and make probably her biggest payday in her career win or lose in 8 months. How is this bad for her? Because she wants to fight? Boo, hoo, this is a professional sport done for entertainment and people would significantly rather pay to watch her fight Rousey. That's how professional fighting works. You don't get to just fight whoever you want whenever you want. You are at the bidding of the people paying to watch.

dabig2

Holly Holm is 34

It's in Holly's best interests to fight as often as possible because she probably doesn't have long left in the prize fighting arena. Maybe she wants to move on eventually and do other things, but instead she has to sit around and wait 7 months for someone who's not even guaranteed to be able to meet that matchup.

I don't know how Ronda goes from needing 3-6 months to heal to training camp to fight all within 7 months. She needs several months to fully heal and then she needs like an additional year to train her deficiencies. I think anyone wanting Ronda to fight in July actually just wants to see her die. This fight is NOT in Ronda's best interest.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Holly Holm is 34

It's in Holly's best interests to fight as often as possible because she probably doesn't have long left in the prize fighting arena. Maybe she wants to move on eventually and do other things, but instead she has to sit around and wait 7 months for someone who's not even guaranteed to be able to meet that matchup.

I don't know how Ronda goes from needing 3-6 months to heal to training camp to fight all within 7 months. She needs several months to fully heal and then she needs like an additional year to train her deficiencies. I think anyone wanting Ronda to fight in July actually just wants to see her die. This fight is NOT in Ronda's best interest.
Yep.

No, she's already said she wants a rematch with Ronda. The rematch makes most financial sense for her. She just wants to fight again within the next couple of months too.

Dana is worried Holm will lose or get injured and he doesn't want UFC 200 spoiled. Fuck him. I want to see Holly fight again soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom