• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Couple Remove Son from School Because School Recognises Trans Student

The parents of a six-year-old boy have removed him from his primary school in a row over whether another pupil should be recognised as transgender.

Nigel and Sally Rowe said their son became confused as to why the child dressed as both a boy and a girl.

The Diocese of Portsmouth, which runs the Church of England school on the Isle of Wight, said it was required to "respect diversity of all kinds".
Mr Rowe said: "I am shocked by the suggestion, especially from a church school, that just because we question the notion that a six-year-old boy can really become a girl, we are transphobic."
One has to wonder if the 'especially from a church school' line betrays the fact that they chose a religious school so their children could avoid gay and trans students.

Here's the kicker:
The couple said under the school's bullying policy their son faced being disciplined for "mis-gendering" the six-year-old pupil.

Two years ago they removed their eldest son from the same school in a separate row about a different transgender child.
So both of their children have gotten into trouble for offending trans students, interesting. I'm sure this isn't the parents or their child's fault in any way.

And here's why:
Mrs Rowe said: "We believe he [the older boy] was under stress by the confusion that was caused by having a boy in his class that decided that they were going to have a girl's name and dress as a girl."
Source

I'd hate to straw-man here but I do wonder how these parents would feel if their children were taught about being transgender and what it means. From their comments and the way their children seem to behave, I'd think they'd not be too happy. Which is a shame because maybe if they'd properly taught their children about these things their children wouldn't be 'under stress' by being 'confused' about the situation.

Good for the church though, they come out quite well in this.

Mr Rowe said: "I am shocked by the suggestion, especially from a church school, that just because we question the notion that a six-year-old boy can really become a girl, we are transphobic."

lol

Don't let Timmy drink her apple juice, he might get trans fever and start asking questions!! I wonder where your kids are getting their bullying habits for trans people?

Trust me when I say Church schools are not where you want to send your kid if you don't want them to be gay or trans.

Out of a year of 30 kids, 17 have come out as gay/bi/trans since. That said it was also a private all boys catholic school so :p.

I'd hate to straw-man here but I do wonder how these parents would feel if their children were taught about being transgender and what it means. From their comments and the way their children seem to behave, I'd think they'd not be too happy. Which is a shame because maybe if they'd properly taught their children about these things their children wouldn't be 'under stress' by being 'confused' about the situation.

Good for the church though, they come out quite well in this.

I haven't taught my kids (similar ages) about transgendersim but I suppose i would if it was something they were going to come across at school. The parents claim that their six year old child would be disciplined for mis-gendering the other kid sounds like bollocks. If their kid was actively harassing the TG kid then sure but I can't see a school going hard at a six year year old for using the wrong pro-noun without malice.

Anyway, heard this pair on the radio this morning. They sounded like cunts, unsurprisingly.

I mean, if we've learnt anything these past 24 hours on GAF, it's that stress and frustration can make you say do the darnedest things. Doesn't make you a transphobe!
The biggest of /Ss

The genuinely saddest part is that the trans kids are going to be seeing so much of this throughout school life, doubly so if they're going to church schools.

Daffy Duck

I mean, that is going to confuse a six year old no question, and the bullying policy is ridiculous.

At this age kids are not taught about this sort of thing, what a mess.

Lego Boss

The real issue here is that we all want to be different, but we all want to be treated equally.

It's a paradox and it's impossible. Society soesn't work like that.

Platy

Yup, that is the basic definition on transphobia, yup

turmoil

Banned
Used to chatolic-branded intolerance this is surprisingly tolerant of the CoE, are they like this at more issues?

I mean, that is going to confuse a six year old no question, and the bullying policy is ridiculous.

What

As stupid and as backwards as they may seem to us. It's their kid and their choice.

It's also incredibly self-defeating.

Yes, it can be a confusing situation for a six-year-old. Hell, all of the nuances remain (slightly) confusing for me.

But that's the point of education. This kid could've gotten a leg up on unpacking a complex scenario while also realizing that his friend, whatever they call themselves, is just another human that watches cartoons and likes cookies.

Jonnax

Their child came home confused and unhappy?

But then it says that their older son misgendered a different trans student.

Watched the video in the article. They are awful people.
The wife couldn't hide the disgust on her face when mentioning the transgender child.

Then you explain it to them. What's the difficulty here?

To be fair, there's a difference between "your friend is a human being and deserves to be treated with respect" is a far cry from "your friend is best labeled as genderqueer, and you're cishet."

I don't think anyone's disagreeing with the former. Nor should they be. And I have no idea if 6-year-olds can handle the latter. Maybe really precocious ones with examples?

Gonna have to see the part of the New Testament where Jesus, Paul, or anyone else for that matter, talks about how the fluidity of gender is not a thing. Otherwise, not sure what the claim for it being part of their 'Christian beliefs' would be.

For now, I'll post Galations 3:28 (New Jerusalem translation):
"There can be neither Jew nor Greek, there can be neither slave nor freeman, there can be neither male nor female - for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

Emphasis mine.

hodgy100

how is the bullying policy ridiculous.

I could see how misnaming someone repeatedly can be totally considered bulling. like calling anyone anything that they dont like being called.

Daffy Duck

Then you explain it to them. What's the difficulty here?

Apparently that is too difficult.

And you think a child will understand this? And are parents really the best people to explain this to them?

One minute we are saying kids are growing up too quick and where is the innocence, and next thing we are expecting them to be 100% clued up on the intricacy of gender identity.

how is the bullying policy ridiculous.

It's ridiculous in the fact that a child can be disciplined for "mis-gendering" someone else. That is not bullying and only serves to create further resentment instead of education.

We in the UK suffer greatly with even basic sexual education, this is a whole different issue and one that requires some real proper education.

You cannot go saying someone is bullying another child when they probably don't even know anything about identifying as a boy or a girl.

Vagabundo

Its not really hard. seriously I have a seven year old. You just tell them straight and they just go "oh" and that's that.

Symphonia

Banned
So they have two kids removed from the school for two separate incidents of transphobia? Get the kids out of there - they’re not welcome.

And you think a child will understand this? And are parents really the best people to explain this to them?

One minute we are saying kids are growing up too quick and where is the innocence, and next thing we are expecting them to be 100% clued up on the intricacy of gender identity.

Oh god the, "kids are too stupid to be told something" defense.

So a childs innocence is broken when they are told that Adam, the kid they sit four seats away from in class, feels like a girl and is going to dress and identify as one for the time being?

Of course, I'm sure a child's innocence is completely intact when they bully someone?

It's ridiculous in the fact that a child can be disciplined for "mis-gendering" someone else. That is not bullying and only serves to create further resentment instead of education.

We in the UK suffer greatly with even basic sexual education, this is a whole different issue and one that requires some real proper education.

You cannot go saying someone is bullying another child when they probably don't even know anything about identifying as a boy or a girl.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

If someone is going out of their way to misgender someone else who is identified as trans, that's bullying.

Platy

Nobody expects them to be 100% clued on the intricacy of gender identity. People do master thesys on this.

What you expect is that people treat the girl with respect like they treat every other girl.

by "the girl" i mean "a six year old who obviously understood how trans people work"

Lego Boss

How so? Give me an example.

I have a disability, so I want special arrangements made for me (e.g. assistance on public transport, cut-price train tickets). I do not want that to prevent me from doing jobs, but it clearly will (e.g. driving, night work). I cannot box, fly an aeroplane etc., becasue of my disability, but these are things that I would like to do.

How can that be balanced to make it so the person doesn't feel singled out? I want special treatment when it suits me, but I also want to be given access to?

Should legislation mean that I can do these things, or should it protect others? The more difference that is innate to a society the less likely people are to be treated equally because there are so many contingencies.

Difference creates otherness. Otherness is not equal but different. It's not feasilble to negotiate all of these differences. The playing field can be artificially levelled, but there will always be difference and therefore always inequality.

If I was going to explain this to my kids, which I would do if a similar thing happened at their school, I'd just tell them that some kids who have the body of a boy, feel more like a girl and some kids who have a body of girl, feel more like a boy and that it's what's inside that counts, so they should treat these people the way they want to be treated.

They would then probably ask some questions about willies and front bottoms, which would be straight batted by me (yes she still has a willy but that isn't the important thing) and that would be that.

Yeah that bullying policy is dumb. If the kid was disciplined for misgendering the other kid then that is ridiculous.

Unless were not hearing that It was repeated harrassment or something like that.

This gender shite is confusing enough for adults, you can't discipline a child for not getting it.

I have a disability, so I want special arrangements made for me (e.g. assistance on public transport, cut-price train tickets). I do not want that to prevent me from doing jobs, but it clearly will (e.g. driving, night work). I cannot box, fly an aeroplane etc., becasue of my disability, but these are things that I would like to do.

How can that be balanced to make it so the person doesn't feel singled out? I want special treatment when it suits me, but I also want to be given access to?

Should legislation mean that I can do these things, or should it protect others? The more difference that is innate to a society the less likely people are to be treated equally because there are so many contingencies.

Difference creates otherness. Otherness is not equal but different. It's not feasilble to negotiate all of these differences. The playing field can be artificially levelled, but there will always be difference and therefore always inequality.

Being trans and wishing to be treated like a normal human is now the same as having a physical disability. Having the same respect as anyone else is special treatment.

Great comparison, 10/10

Yeah that bullying policy is dumb. If the kid was disciplined for misgendering the other kid then that is ridiculous.

Unless were not hearing that It was repeated harrassment or something like that.

This gender shite is confusing enough for adults, you can't discipline a child for not getting it.

Yeah but I highly doubt that that happened because it would be stupid.

MUnited83

For you.

Kids are not the brainless dumbasses you think they are, they can understand it just fine.

jiiikoo

Banned

Wow. You're actually equating being transgendered to having a physical disability.

Pizoxuat

My kid has understood what transgender means since she was 6 years old, since I work with some trans people and I didn't want her misgendering them. It's not hard for kids to understand unless you are deliberately shitty about it.

Monocle

That kid is already fucked if his parents' response to a teaching moment about gender is to whisk him away in a flurry of overbearing concern.

Kids aren't born bigots. They have to be taught to fear and despise others.

Oh stop that, that type of comment is what turns these type of threads into a shitshow

No the types of comments that turn threads like this into a shit show are dipshits that have no idea what they are talking about make insane comparisons that are completely insulting to the very people this topic is about.

You know, if you actually read what he said my comparison is a summation of his post.

Lego Boss

Being trans and wishing to be treated like a normal human is now the same as having a physical disability.

Great comparison, 10/10

Yeah. Well done.

It used to be that GAF OT was a place where conversation and discourse was allowed and even encouraged, now it just feels as if there is no room for debate as the commentary is so fervently based around always saying how horrible everyone is if they don't fit with your worldview.

That's fine. But I won't contribute to that militancy.

Platy

It is not hard and aduls find people in different points and ways.

We are talking that people that study in the same class, see each other every day and the teacher call each kid by the name.

Yeah. Well done.

It used to be that GAF OT was a place where conversation and discourse was allowed and even encouraged, now it just feels as if there is no room for debate as the commentary is so fervently based around always saying how horrible everyone is if they don't fit with your worldview.

That's fine. But I won't contribute to that militancy.

That's what you posted, if you want to defend what you said then defend it instead of crying about someone calling out your horrible example.

You started off with the idea that trans people want to be different, but treated equally, and somehow being trans means there is a reasonable argument to not be treated equally by others. That in itself is a complete misunderstanding and pretty horrible way to view the issue at hand.

Top Bottom