• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Couple Remove Son from School Because School Recognises Trans Student

Although the bit about bullying, I find interesting. The way it's worded makes it sound like all they needed to do was call a transgender pupil "he" or "she" for it to be considered bullying - which seems harsh.

It's the parents' interpretation of a policy we haven't actually seen. Nobody has actually been accused of bullying.

I like that both the presenters on BBC and ITV kinda ridiculed all their points. It's like even the average person who isn't boned up on trans rights thinks they're being completely unreasonable. I think this is a good example of how giving ignorant people air time can be a good thing because I don't know how the average person watches that thinks they're being reasonable at all.

Did anyone mention how ridiculous the guy at the end suggesting children could be 'trans-species'? Just fuck off, mate.
Well, yeah, I think anyone with any reasonable intellect in this country would look at these people and realise they've been trotted out to highlight an issue and the issue is them and not the school. Even people who were maybe sympathetic would be lost at 'trans species'

They should be taken to court for illegally taking their child out of school. Their excuse is complete nonsense.
Just some context for any non-UK gaffers, if you take your child out of school without a good reason (i.e for a holiday) then you'll get fined by the school.

Although the bit about bullying, I find interesting. The way it's worded makes it sound like all they needed to do was call a transgender pupil "he" or "she" for it to be considered bullying - which seems harsh.
I mean, you need to remember that the bit about bullying and punishment came from the parents themselves. If you look at several of the things they've said on TV or radio, you could probably make your own mind up as to whether they're reliable sources of this information.

Also keep in mind that they had a previous child be in trouble for attitudes towards a trans student and if it were so easy and unreasonable as a punishment, they'd have come forward with more examples and more parents. The idea of the punishment is also, from what I've seen, also left vague. The child could have literally been told 'don't do that, it's mean.'

What's even the point in having a Christian school if the law doesn't let them teach Christian beliefs?

Would love to see the complete removal of religion from schools and replaced with science and debate. It's 2017 for fucks sake.
The idea that trans people should be treated with respect isn't somehow against Christian beliefs, last I checked. Its just people who believe those things anyway and justify their beliefs with a religion that says little to nothing about it.

As for your last point, I do have issues with faith schools as I believe its not a good idea to segregate children based on religion but also, as religion is so important to so many, I feel the teaching of the largest religious doctrines to be conducive to making an educated, reasonable and informed public that will not discriminate based on religion as they have a degree to understanding towards others. I know that it was taught this way in my school, we were taught by an Atheist who didn't lead us down any path but he had a fascination with religion and taught us to respect beliefs unless they're aggressive or harmful to individuals or society.

I think its important to teach children that tolerance and this school seems to agree with teaching tolerance. I'm glad that this religious school isn't what those parents expected it to be because those beliefs do not reflect the modern religion or COE.

diaspora

How about trying to educate yourselves, rather than shitting the bed because it's different and confusing to you.

Maybe, but could also be bullshit since it doesn't seem to be an issue for the rest of the school and class.

Yea, that's pretty much how I thought it was going to be.

They try to sound compassionate, but their words and thought process are filled with ignorance and are completely transphobic.

The most boring excuse, "it's too complex for kids", which is just coded language for, "I don't think being trans/gay is morally right"

Uuuugh... "We think it's too young to be bpushing a social agenda on these children"
...because forcing children to comply with a strictly binary gender is not a social agenda.
This is like the "keep politics out of videogames" bullshit.

A 6-year-old will be confused about a transgender person in much the same way that they are generally confused about the differences between (cis) boys and girls.
My son doesn't have any transgender kids in his class, but explaining sexuality went something like this:
"Dad, can boys marry other boys?"
"Yes, if they love them and want to spend the rest of their lives with them"
"OK, but do most boys marry girls?"
"Yes"
"And can girls marry other girls?"
"Yes"
"OK... wait, I have another question"
"OK"
"Are alligators bigger than crocodiles?"
"Not always no..."

And "saying your child was disciplined" sounds a bit like hyperbole for a 6-year old. It's not like they're being caned or forced to stay in detention and write "Some girls look like boys" 100 times on the blackboard. They're just being told to stop calling that girl a boy because it's rude.

Chopper

Uuuugh... "We think it's too young to be bpushing a social agenda on these children"
...because forcing children to comply with a strictly binary gender is not a social agenda.
This is like the "keep politics out of videogames" bullshit.

A 6-year-old will be confused about a transgender person in much the same way that they are generally confused about the differences between (cis) boys and girls.
My son doesn't have any transgender kids in his class, but explaining sexuality went something like this:
"Yes"
"Yes"
"OK"
"Not always no..."

And "saying your child was disciplined" sounds a bit like hyperbole for a 6-year old. It's not like they're being caned or forced to stay in detention and write "Some girls look like boys" 100 times on the blackboard. They're just being told to stop calling that girl a boy because it's rude.
Good post. I laughed out loud at the bolded.

"Yes"
"Yes"
"OK"
"Not always no..."
Its weird that people put those hang-ups on their kids. Its not even necessarily that the parents don't understand what it is to be transgender but it seems they have an active dislike and feel the need to deny their children even meeting people with alternative lifestyles.

So I don't get why their bigotry is just manifested as 'kids wont understand it' when that's not really their issue.

disco

Gender is a social construct. Dresses or trousers are made of cotton. Names are words.

Children or people, can associate with what they feel. How is this not easy to understand? As much as children may want to associate themselves with transgender identities now, these may adapt or change in the future - let kids make their own decisions. Limiting people's identities only causes distress and repression. !

Lots of things are confusing to a small child. You don't solve this by removing them from the situation, you solve it by talking to them about it. Education isn't just about classes in school.

Top Bottom