• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/EU Amiibo Thread | Compatible with the regular-sized New Nintendo 3DS

de_reddy

Neo Member
Tried to order through game UK, my order is not going through. It looks like something on their end, not even PayPal is being accepted.

Same, tried a few times. Hopefully I will not get billed a few times, because I got pretty far in the paying process. Had an error for the url being too long for the server capacity.

It's weird that you guys struggled so much with GAME. I used the mobile site and had no issues; didn't even realise there were any. Maybe it would help to try the mobile page?

Got my two Jiggs orders now; time to relax. Until the Yoshis...

Ashler

It's weird that you guys struggled so much with GAME. I used the mobile site and had no issues; didn't even realise there were any. Maybe it would help to try the mobile page?

Got my two Jiggs orders now; time to relax. Until the Yoshis...

Yeah, I think I understand the isssue now:

Please note: this item is unavailable for International delivery.

I think they're blocking non-uk residents...

blazeuk

Good on GAME for stopping international orders if that's the case (at least to allow UK orders to be placed first) but the price hike is ridiculous, hopefully the Nintendo store and Amazon actually keep the prices at around £10.99.

Ashler

Good on GAME for stopping international orders if that's the case (at least to allow UK orders to be placed first) but the price hike is ridiculous, hopefully the Nintendo store and Amazon actually keep the prices at around £10.99.

Yeah, good on both Game and Nintendo only having orders go out in UK leaving the rest of us Europeans unable to buy their products.

I wonder if you'd feel the same way if all EU continental stores stopped shipping to the UK.

Yeah, good on both Game and Nintendo only having orders go out in UK leaving the rest of us Europeans unable to buy their products.

I wonder if you'd feel the same way if all EU continental stores stopped shipping to the UK.

They're not shipping to the mainland? Yeah, outside the EU is perfectly understandable given the state of affairs in NA, but that's out of order.

blazeuk

Didn't realise they'd stopped EU orders as well, but other than Amazon there are plenty of EU stores that don't ship to the UK. The fact they went up for preorder at a stupid time would have meant by the time most woke up in the UK they'd have likely been sold out of certain amiibo's, not exactly fair which is probably why they've just hit everyone with the no orders outside of the UK thing to make it easier for them to manage.

It wasn't meant as a stab at EU folks, they should absolutely be able to order too since it all comes from the same allocation.

Evilmaus

So I've just gotten a pre-order on Game for the Inkling Girl Amiibo. Received order confirmations and everything with absolutely no issues.

Would you guys say it's now safe to cancel my ShopTo pre-order? I keep hearing a lot of buzz about pre-orders being cancelled by companies, so it's got me worried, especially as this is the first Amiibo I've bought.

Also, no international shipping with Game UK? Good on them. It's not like they wouldn't sell out in the UK alone anyway.

Ashler

They're not shipping to the mainland? Yeah, outside the EU is perfectly understandable given the state of affairs in NA, but that's out of order.

Didn't realise they'd stopped EU orders as well, but other than Amazon there are plenty of EU stores that don't ship to the UK. The fact they went up for preorder at a stupid time would have meant by the time most woke up in the UK they'd have likely been sold out of certain amiibo's, not exactly fair which is probably why they've just hit everyone with the no orders outside of the UK thing to make it easier for them to manage.

It wasn't meant as a stab at EU folks, they should absolutely be able to order too since it all comes from the same allocation.

Yeah, I hope they differentiate between EU and non-EU addresses. I've sent them an email about it, waiting for some feedback now. I've been ordering through Game for some years now, this would absolutely end my relationship with them for all future orders.

Spades

Ordered another Jigglypuff for my wife from GAME.

I had trouble checking out using Safari on my Mac, but Chrome worked fine.

Yup, can't pay, managed to get Palutena, ZSS and Ganondorf in the basket ... paying with either credit card or PayPal impossible. Germany here, btw.

That's just freaking great, i can't buy from the Nintendo store, i can't buy certain items from the game web-store.
WTF? I can even order food that is over the expiration date from UK, but not this? Is Nintendo aware that europe is a union of countries, and not just the british isles?

Great ... now to wait for the lottery aka the moment amazon.de puts up pre orders for about 1 minute until sold out or whatever ... to cite Dark Souls: "These are dark times, indeed."

So everywhere's just said "fuck it" and upped the price to £15?

I've preordered Dark Pit from ShopTo, but I'll see how wealthy I am when he actually comes out. It's really hard to justify how much these are starting to cost when you look at the price of Infinity and Skylanders figures, that do way more.

Wow. 3am. What a time...

Ordered when I awoke. Sucks but not surprised they jacked up the price. Still holding out on Nintendo Store having good stock with the old price.

Spades

GAME keeping UK shoppers happy is a sensible strategy on their part. At the end of the day, UK customers are likely to spend a hell of a lot more money in their stores in the long run if they have a good experience, compared to someone living elsewhere in Europe who uses them a few times to grab some Amiibo. I know it sucks if you rely on importing from GAME, but their reasoning behind the decision makes perfect sense.

If they allow people from any other country (be it America or elsewhere in Europe) and someone in the UK misses out on an Amiibo, they're going to be pissed off and unlikely to use GAME again for any of their other gaming purchases. They're looking after their main target audience first, which I personally can't fault them for. Sorry guys.

Ashler

If they allow people from any other country (be it America or elsewhere in Europe) and someone in the UK misses out on an Amiibo, they're going to be pissed off and unlikely to use GAME again for any of their other gaming purchases. They're looking after their main target audience first, which I personally can't fault them for. Sorry guys.

What you said makes as much sense as saying that someone from New York should not be able to buy a product from a store in Los Angeles.

GAME keeping UK shoppers happy is a sensible strategy on their part. At the end of the day, UK customers are likely to spend a hell of a lot more money in their stores in the long run if they have a good experience, compared to someone living elsewhere in Europe who uses them a few times to grab some Amiibo. I know it sucks if you rely on importing from GAME, but their reasoning behind the decision makes perfect sense.

You know, that's a fine thing, and i bet there would be no big deal about that "UK only" for the Amiibos.
That is, if Nintendo would allow international (or at least international europe) orders in their own web-store, run by GAME.

The anger (at least for me) is that i have to rely on amazon, which is getting hammered the moment they put up the preorders, resulting in selling out 5 minutes later...

MicH

I think it's good that GAME limited them to UK people only and I'm not in the UK. UKers already have to compete with the entire world when it comes to Amazon UK and ShopTo. Plus they're ridiculously overpriced (seriously, same price as Danish Amiibo!!) so eh... I would probably be annoyed if I had to compete with the entire world for Danish stock too

Ashler

I think it's good that GAME limited them to UK people only and I'm not in the UK. UKers already have to compete with the entire world when it comes to Amazon UK and ShopTo. Plus they're ridiculously overpriced (seriously, same price as Danish Amiibo!!) so eh... I would probably be annoyed if I had to compete with the entire world for Danish stock too

Its EU allocated stock, by Nintendo Europe. Your Danish stock also comes from the same EU allocation.

You know, that's a fine thing, and i bet there would be no big deal about that "UK only" for the Amiibos.
That is, if Nintendo would allow international (or at least international europe) orders in their own web-store, run by GAME.

The anger (at least for me) is that i have to rely on amazon, which is getting hammered the moment they put up the preorders, resulting in selling out 5 minutes later...

The nintendo webstore isn't run by GAME. The zavvi group run it.

Son Of D

I probably come off as an asshole saying this but I'm still glad that Americans were unable to order the Amiibo from Game. Seeing them get all pissed off in the thread was a highlight. Fucking stupid that they'd block EU from them though.

I probably come off as an asshole saying this but I'm still glad that Americans were unable to order the Amiibo from Game. Seeing them get all pissed off in the thread was a highlight. Fucking stupid that they'd block EU from them though.

Yeah I'm shocked I woke up at 9 am and was able to get one. And that's how it should be. I live in London and still no stores have these damn things

Yeah I'm shocked I woke up at 9 am and was able to get one. And that's how it should be. I live in London and still no stores have these damn things

It certainly highlights just how many must be being bought by Americans, given that it's nearly 10 here in the UK and they're still available.

Spades

Or, you're missing the point of an EU zone.

Just like you're missing the point of simple economics.

Person A is a UK gamer. They spend between £1,500 and £2,000 a year on their hobby. They pre-order and purchase most of their gaming merchandise (let's say 85%) from their local game shop, which happens to be GAME.

Person B is a gamer from somewhere else in Europe. Whilst they still spend between £1,500 and £2,000 a year on gaming, they spend 85% of that in their own country. When convenient for them, they send 15% of that at GAME.

Why on earth would GAME go out of their way to satisfy the person that spends 15% of their annual budget with GAME rather than the person who spends 85% of their budget with GAME?

You can't please everyone. So you make sure you please the people who are going to spend more money with you. In this example, we know that Amiibo stock is limited. So GAME realise that there is MUCH MORE likelihood that UK gamers will buy MORE than JUST Amiibo with them, whereas overseas customers won't. It's really very simple. And absolutely nothing to do with being in the EU zone.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I wish you EU guys COULD order them - we're all Amiibros after all. I'm just saying that from a business perspective, I completely understand GAME's stance.

It certainly highlights just how many must be being bought by Americans, given that it's nearly 10 here in the UK and they're still available.

Well, the site also got completely murdered seconds after the preorders went live.

1306bf60_0dba_47e4_b6c2umt.jpg

But given the way worse situation in the US, I understand them. <3

Springy

I was actually able to pre-order an amiibo. It's like a normal shopping experience. I'm happy they limited it to UK customers.

Or, you're missing the point of an EU zone.
I'm pretty sure the Eurozone isn't in existence to make sure private companies in Basingstoke are obliged to ship cheap plastic toys to Germany. All this stuff you're saying is because you're upset, but I do sympathise.

Chopper

I managed to preorder all of them just now. It seemed totally stress-free. This is progress.

Still can't fucking find Ness, Lucina, Robin or Pac-man though.

Ashler

Just like you're missing the point of simple economics.

Person A is a UK gamer. They spend between £1,500 and £2,000 a year on their hobby. They pre-order and purchase most of their gaming merchandise (let's say 85%) from their local game shop, which happens to be GAME.

Person B is a gamer from somewhere else in Europe. Whilst they still spend between £1,500 and £2,000 a year on gaming, they spend 85% of that in their own country. When convenient for them, they send 15% of that at GAME.

Why on earth would GAME go out of their way to satisfy the person that spends 15% of their annual budget with GAME rather than the person who spends 85% of their budget with GAME?

You can't please everyone. So you make sure you please the people who are going to spend more money with you. In this example, we know that Amiibo stock is limited. So GAME realise that there is MUCH MORE likelihood that UK gamers will buy MORE than JUST Amiibo with them, whereas overseas customers won't. It's really very simple. And absolutely nothing to do with being in the EU zone.

What are you even talking about? Pulling these kinds of numbers for your convenience does not make you right. Again, you could use the same logic for any local US store.

My point is that GAME is a UK based, European shop that is conveniently only accepting Amiibo pre-orderes for UK based buyers. Mind you, they aren't enforcing this on all of their products, so it's not their policy, just this one product. It is pure hypocrisy for them to use the European market for all other products on their site except for this one.

I was actually able to pre-order an amiibo. It's like a normal shopping experience. I'm happy they limited it to UK customers.

I'm pretty sure the Eurozone isn't in existence to make sure private companies in Basingstoke are obliged to ship cheap plastic toys to Germany. All this stuff you're saying is because you're upset, but I do sympathise.

I'm upset because they're one of my preferred online shoping stores. I actually already have all waves pre-ordered somewhere else. Its the principle of what they're doing that's really upsetting me.

Spades

My point is that GAME is a UK based, European shop that is conveniently only accepting Amiibo pre-orderes for UK based buyers. Mind you, they aren't enforcing this on all of their products, so it's not their policy, just this one product. It is pure hypocrisy for them to use the European market for all other products on their site except for this one.

I could buy 100 copies of Bloodborne if I wanted. But only 1 of each Amiibo. Different products have different limitations, for very valid reasons.

Mumups

Just pre-ordered at GAME, so going to cancel the shopto order.
Or should I wait till nearer the release date in case the GAME one gets cancelled or something?

Spades

Just pre-ordered at GAME, so going to cancel the shopto order.
Or should I wait till nearer the release date in case the GAME one gets cancelled or something?

I think both will be safe, but you never know. Personally I'd keep them both until the last minute as you won't get charged until nearer the time.

Top Bottom