• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/EU Amiibo Thread | Compatible with the regular-sized New Nintendo 3DS

Ashler

I could buy 100 copies of Bloodborne if I wanted. But only 1 of each Amiibo. Different products have different limitations, for very valid reasons.

What's your point? I could also buy 100 copies of Bloodborne at Game UK and only 1 of each Amiibo until this last wave.

Rosur

Just pre-ordered at GAME, so going to cancel the shopto order.
Or should I wait till nearer the release date in case the GAME one gets cancelled or something?

I've left two of my ShopTo orders (ones I really want as will be able to sell if get duplicates) but canceled the rest.

Just pre-ordered at GAME, so going to cancel the shopto order.
Or should I wait till nearer the release date in case the GAME one gets cancelled or something?

Unless they've really stuffed up, you should be safe as the preorders are still available, but it's still a risk, so I'd personally hold of until a week or two from release to be on the safe side myself. It's not like they've taken your money yet after all.

Spades

What's your point? I could also buy 100 copies of Bloodborne at Game UK and only 1 of each Amiibo until this last wave.

You said GAME have conveniently changed their practice so that they won't ship a specific product overseas. My point was that they change their policies on specific products, like adding an order limit, to match circumstances.

I don't know why you quote my point, and then ask me what my point is. No need to be salty with me specifically dude. I feel your pain and don't necessarily agree with it, but from a business perspective it makes perfect sense.

Are there not local stores/chains in mainland Europe that have the same policy as GAME - that is, not shipping outside of their home country? - for amiibo? I'm sure there were some mentioned back in this thread, or was that just a general policy and not amiibo-specific?

I think the relative scarcity and high demand for amiibo will force exceptions like this for businesses wanting to retain local customers, but I do understand the frustration.

Spades

The bottom line is that GAME have a far greater incentive to keep UK customers happy compared to overseas customers. Offering an extremely limited product overseas will piss off UK customers if they miss out. I don't understand why people can't grasp that; it really isn't complicated.

Ultimately, Game have every right to do this, there are perfectly legitimate business reasons to alter their policies for products like this, and there are more than a few mainland European stores that also won't ship Amiibo's outside their borders.

But it's still a gittish move, and counter to some of the main tenants of the EU trade agreements, as well as just being bad form to treat other Europeans this way when it comes to the distribution of stock that's supposed to be for the entire continent.

Ashler

You said GAME have conveniently changed their practice so that they won't ship a specific product overseas. My point was that they change their policies on specific products, like adding an order limit, to match circumstances.

I don't know why you quote my point, and then ask me what my point is. No need to be salty with me specifically dude. I feel your pain and don't necessarily agree with it, but from a business perspective it makes perfect sense.

Oh well. It think its pretty clear we have different views on the subject. No need to drag this out any longer.

It's interesting to see how there appears to be at least some recognition from Nintendo and partner retailers like GAME that there is a hell of a bubble forming with amiibo, and things like Nintendo releasing smaller amiibo lineups for games like Splatoon (or the simple colour variants for Yoshi) and the better defined preorder windows and limiting to UK customers from GAME suggest they're taking steps to deflate it.

If they want amiibo to be a sustainable "platform" it's the right thing to do, I think.

that Ganondorf figure looks amazing

I've been waiting for this for a long time!

The bottom line is that GAME have a far greater incentive to keep UK customers happy compared to overseas customers. Offering an extremely limited product overseas will piss off UK customers if they miss out. I don't understand why people can't grasp that; it really isn't complicated.
Pretty much.

Just tweet them with your displeasure, see what they have to say about the matter.
"OK but do you have a GAME Reward card"?

Canti

Thanks to the gaffers in this thread (or perhaps not, as its draining my poor wallet) I just pre-ordered the Splatoon game + figures pack, ZSS and greninja amiibos. Haven't paid more than £10 per amiibo up until now and managed to only stick to my favourites (have just 3 total). Damn the general price hike. Looks like I'll now have 5 more in a couple of months :s

My girlfriend wants to get the yarn yoshi too. I feel I'm teetering on the edge of buying too many, somebody please stop me!

I sent a email to their customer support.

I would have waited a bit more before cancelling.

ive a friend who works in game who has one pre ordered as well, he doesn't want it though so if worst comes to worst ill just buy it of him.
No point me having 3 pre orders for something I want one of, gives someone else the opportunity to get one

I have Wario preordered still on shopto. Probably going to wait for a Mario line Wario instead though. Willing to offer it to anyone who may have missed him before instead of cancelling it.

Thanks to the gaffers in this thread (or perhaps not, as its draining my poor wallet) I just pre-ordered the Splatoon game + figures pack, ZSS and greninja amiibos. Haven't paid more than £10 per amiibo up until now and managed to only stick to my favourites (have just 3 total). Damn the general price hike. Looks like I'll now have 5 more in a couple of months :s

My girlfriend wants to get the yarn yoshi too. I feel I'm teetering on the edge of buying too many, somebody please stop me!

Amiibo are like Pringles, once you pop (buy one) you just can't stop

This is amazing. Greninja, Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, ZSS, Palutena, Dark Pit all still available from GAME. This is how it should be. It hasn't even been a day yet since they've been put up. I'm actually hopeful about getting the yoshi amiibo and future amiibo now.

de_reddy

Neo Member
This is amazing. Greninja, Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, ZSS, Palutena, Dark Pit all still available from GAME. This is how it should be. It hasn't even been a day yet since they've been put up. I'm actually hopeful about getting the yoshi amiibo and future amiibo now.

Maybe nintendo got their business together with this wave? It is very long indeed, even considering it is UK only. Or people are holding off due to the new price.

Cappa

Banned
The prices are atrocious that's probably a factor

MicH

Scandinavia-GAF:

Elgiganten has wave 4 up for pre-order once again. Get them while you can!

They don't ship outside Scandinavia

Put in a Palutena pre-order with Game as well, so that makes 3 pre-ordered. I'll drop one of the Shopto pre-orders a bit closer to release after the risk of companies cancelling orders has passed, then that way if Shopto happen to "lose" it like they lost a bunch of Vita games I ordered before I'll still have the Game one as a backup.

Kyonashi

Just as a friendly reminder - I have two Lucina preorders with Amazon. On release if both come through I'll be looking to trade one for a Rosalina, but if after a while I cant find anyone then I'll most likely sell it at cost+shipping to a gaffer, as was done for me with MK.

Chopper

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The fact that GAME pre-order still seem to be up can either hint that £15 has become too much for some people or that non-UKers really were gobbling up all the orders.

I feel silly for asking ... but the Amiibo-figurines are not region-blocked in any way? Meaning, i can buy Rosalina/Shulk from Play-Asia (being the JP versions) and still can use them on my ... say PAL N3DS for Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.

The fact that GAME pre-order still seem to be up can either hint that £15 has become too much for some people or that non-UKers really were gobbling up all the orders.

Likely the latter, I seriously doubt there more than a handful of people getting hung up over a couple of quid considering how much of a struggle it is just to even get hold of most of these at anything less than triple the retail price. The last Smash wave didn't get sent to stores at all because the website drained the entire allocated stock and deposits for the next wave didn't even start before stock was totally gone.

Iceberg

I feel silly for asking ... but the Amiibo-figurines are not region-blocked in any way? Meaning, i can buy Rosalina/Shulk from Play-Asia (being the JP versions) and still can use them on my ... say PAL N3DS for Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.

That's what I did, bought a Shulk amiibo from Japan and I use it on my PAL n3DS for the daily 3 tokens on Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.

Mob

ShopTo didn't last anywhere near this long did it? They were only 13p cheaper than Game.
I'd assume Game has much more stock though.

Chopper

Is there any packaging shots of the new amiibo? i.e. Do we know what numbers they are? I'm updating my spreadsheet, and the OCD in me can't get this wrong.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
From the [thread=1025803]Edge thread on Splatoon[/thread]:

15 singleplayer challenges and "5 rare pieces of gear" for each of the 3 Amiibos

So I guess there will be more to them than the three outfits we've seen unless they are counting each individual part (hat, top, shoes etc) as pieces.

Cappa

Banned
£14.99 is nothing compared to what I'd have to pay now for ones I missed, such as Villager and Shulk.
Shulk is getting a restock so I would wait on him... My plan with Villager and others is to double up where I can and then use them for trading purposes. There's always people willing to trade a Villager for say two rares or something . just my opinion

I only have one amiibo that I paid more than retail price for that was pit for 23 euros approx because I really wanted him.

Only rares I'm missing are because I started late really Villager little Mac Rosalína Shulk captain falcon and King dede

Is there any packaging shots of the new amiibo? i.e. Do we know what numbers they are? I'm updating my spreadsheet, and the OCD in me can't get this wrong.

Of the ones we still can't order, from what I can tell squinting at the GAME images, Dr Mario is 42, Bowser Jr is 43, Olimar is 44 & the Yoshi's don't have numbers.

I haven't seen any images for Lucas or Mewtwo yet

From the [thread=1025803]So I guess there will be more to them than the three outfits we've seen unless they are counting each individual part (hat, top, shoes etc) as pieces.

No, I think the "5 pieces of rare gear" are the bits that go together to make up one full outfit. As far as I can tell, the Splatoon amiibo content is:

-- Three outfits, comprising five bits of gear each
-- Remix challenges using existing challenge levels but with different weapon choices

It seems pretty minor stuff again, unless you desperately want the outfits.

Of the ones we still can't order, from what I can tell squinting at the GAME images, Dr Mario is 42, Bowser Jr is 43, Olimar is 44 & the Yoshi's don't have numbers.

I haven't seen any images for Lucas or Mewtwo yet

Go back a few pages in this thread (3 I think, if you're 100pp, or 6 if you're 50pp) and there are huge pack shots of all the new amiibo.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
No, I think the "5 pieces of rare gear" are the bits that go together to make up one full outfit. As far as I can tell, the Splatoon amiibo content is:

-- Three outfits, comprising five bits of gear each
-- Remix challenges using existing challenge levels but with different weapon choices

It seems pretty minor stuff again, unless you desperately want the outfits.

That makes the most sense, as they've been pretty open about what Amiibos do in game so hiding four additional full outfits would seem odd, but it was also odd for Edge to make a point like this as if it was new information.

Lucky for me I'm not too bothered about the outfits. I prefer the more neutral looking urban outfits we've seen available in game.

Kito

I think it's because GAME haven't set a pre-order limit just like last time. As soon as they receive more info off their supplier, the cancellations will start pouring in, and GAME won't give a fuck because of the free promo thanks to amiibo.

Springy

I can't believe pre-orders are still up.

U7mhmrC.jpg

I just pre-ordered Gannondorf and Palutena in addition to my ZSS because I can.

I think it's because GAME haven't set a pre-order limit just like last time. As soon as they receive more info off their supplier, the cancellations will start pouring in, and GAME won't give a fuck because of the free promo thanks to amiibo.
Those negative waves, man. But, yeah, considering what happened to my Shulk (resting in its packaging in a closet somewhere in the US no doubt), I don't trust GAME in this instance.

TrueBlue

Does GAME charge as soon as you checkout your preorders? I've got Ganondorf and Palutena on standby but I'm waiting for Nintendo UK Store to make them available.

Top Bottom