• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/EU Amiibo Thread | Compatible with the regular-sized New Nintendo 3DS

It's just getting worse in Europe. Did a tour across the city.

-Local game store mostly only had pre-orders. One Wario and Charizard left.

-Toy store 1 got nothing new at all

-Toy store 2 got three Wario and a charizard. Got a Wario and Charizard there.
All gone next day.

-Local Media Markt. Was just in time to see them open a box and dump it into the basket of some guy. Two Lucina etc.
They didn't even reach the shelves. Only two left and... you guessed it. Wario and Charizard. Useless for me. That actually got even me salty.
That was all they got too.

It really sucks any kind of fun out of it.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
The GAME in Stevenage didn't get any of their preorder Amiibo stock. I have a Charizard that I'm waiting on, I almost got a store credit refund of the £5 deposit but I'm going to hold on to the preorder to see what happens.

Spades

VyHc63q.jpg

GAME order arrived safely. Agree with others; Wario is one of the best Amiibo made so far.

Koren

So do a lot of physical stores break street dates?
All of them since Wave 1? That's one of the main problem when you want to buy in stores... you cannot even line-up early, you have to visit shops several times a day (shops here receive stock at random hours) and hope you'll be lucky.

If things do continue this way i will probably give up as well and sell my collection.

Extremely frustrating. Time to throw my toys out of the pram and drop this Amiibo collecting.
This is why I don't buy the "low stocks create collectors and allow to sell more than if they were readily available"...

could you imagine the chaos of the Ness Amiibo if a new Earthbound was announced and that Amiibo unlocked exclusive content
I'm already wondering whether you need specific Amiibos to unlock specific game bits in the new "Amiibo touch and play" game they recently announced...

In fact, since apparently two identical Marios Amiibos can unlock different things, I'm not even sure you can get what you want with one of each...

o_O

Dammit, missed out on Lucina at Toys R Us :/ Nearest one now is 170 miles away :'(

Edit: Aaaand again... got it in my cart, pressed confirm and boom - "Your shopping cart is empty" :(

Yoshi88

Just got my Lucina, Wario, Charizard and Robin from amazon.de.

They all look marvelous. Really great faces and overall quality. Especially happy about Robin, i absolutely love this character :D

cyba89

Just visited a few stores, where I had no problems getting rare ones like Shulk several days after release in the past.
But now everything was just Wario and Charizard. It's really frustrating and not fun at all. I just want PacMan and Ness. -.-
It seems with Wave 4 we now have US conditions here in Europe. I thought Germany was Amiibo-heaven, where I don't have to deal with cancelled online-preorders and driving to different stores the whole day.

Joqu

Wanna know how many of my wave 4 pre-orders got cancelled today? 6. Yeah, that's right, all of them.

Wanna know how many wave 4 Amiibo I could find after going through this whole city? 0. All sold out already.

I can't fucking believe this, the way Nintendo are allocating stock over here must be insane. At least I'll be able to get the common ones online? It's Ness I really wanted though...

Zafir

Bloody ridiculous. Gamestop cancelled my amiibo order. I got that order in quick too, so it must have either been a mistake them coming into stock or they really barely had any. :/

Koren

Wanna know how many of my wave 4 pre-orders got cancelled today? 6. Yeah, that's right, all of them.

Wanna know how many wave 4 Amiibo I could find after going through this whole city? 0. All sold out already.

I can't fucking believe this, the way Nintendo are allocating stock over here must be insane. At least I'll be able to get the common ones online? It's Ness I really wanted though...
I feel sorry for you...

Yes, that's pretty insane, especially mass pre-order cancellings. I've finally seen a (single) wave 4 Amiibo in a store, an Wario obviously. If I understood correctly, the shop received... 5 of them, two Warios, two Charizard and a single Pac-man, and none of the "rare" ones. 4 were preordered, and many preorders couldn't be filled.

It's completely ridiculous...

Just visited a few stores, where I had no problems getting rare ones like Shulk several days after release in the past.
But now everything was just Wario and Charizard. It's really frustrating and not fun at all. I just want PacMan and Ness. -.-
It seems with Wave 4 we now have US conditions here in Europe. I thought Germany was Amiibo-heaven, where I don't have to deal with cancelled online-preorders and driving to different stores the whole day.

I can attest to that, this wave is out of control. Now I know what the Americans feel like. Only managed to secure the wave through extreme luck.

Koren

I can attest to that, this wave is out of control. Now I know what the Americans feel like. Only managed to secure the wave through extreme luck.
I think it may be worse than in the US, at least worse than wave 2-3. Don't exactly know how wave 4 went there, I haven't checked the US thread for a couple weeks, but as far as I know, for previous waves, many of the shops have release dates and lines at launch. I wouldn't mind getting up at 4am for a line, but I can't even do this...

I've spent more than 20h this week visiting shops, and one of them two to three times a day (and it's a 20min walk from my home). I don't work this week, so it's doable... I haven't been able to get anything from shops, and as far as I know, not a SINGLE shop got a SINGLE Ness.

cyba89

I still have some hope in PacMan from my amazonDE order. My preorder is still not cancelled. It just has no estimated date of delivery. So they might get some new stock in the near future and than I'm one of the first who gets him.
But maybe I just get my hopes up for nothing ;_;

I already waved Ness goodbye in case Nintendo won't restock him. I know two or three more shops in my area who might have him and I'll visit them tomorrow or monday, but that'll be the last chance. I won't pay ridiculus scalper prizes. Good thing I'm not after a complete amiibo set. I can live with that.

Linius

Here's what I have so far, including the new ones. I also reserved a PacMan today which I might be able to grab some time next week. I'm the only one with a reservation at that store so if they get him in I'm up first. Other than that I'm done with this wave. On to Greninja, Inkling and green Yoshi.

ok i think my Lucina got stealthly cancelled by shopto too... got that delivery confirmation email, but no cancellation email or whatsoever. it doesn't appear in my order/preorder list and I just realized I got refund for it in my bank account today...

Wow, actually received a Royal Mail grey sack with my delivery. Hilarious!

Both my Nintendo and GAME orders came fine - no crushed boxes, no amiibo packaging falling apart. All good!

The quality has improved on this wave, I have to admit. Ness is really simple but nice. Cute figurine.

I will be listing (some) of my doubles on the BST Amiibo thread soon, so keep your eyes peeled. It will be UK priority. There may or may not be a Ness (mulling it over, sorry!)

Wow, actually received a Royal Mail grey sack with my delivery. Hilarious!

Both my Nintendo and GAME orders came fine - no crushed boxes, no amiibo packaging falling apart. All good!

The quality has improved on this wave, I have to admit. Ness is really simple but nice. Cute figurine.

I will be listing (some) of my doubles on the BST Amiibo thread soon, so keep your eyes peeled. It will be UK priority. There may or may not be a Ness (mulling it over, sorry!)

Awesome, I'll keep an eye out :D

Still going strong. Not sure if I can keep up. Each wave there are people quitting because they couldn't get their amiibo's. This has to blow up in Nintendo's face someday...

Linius

I'm glad I'm not that into collecting the whole thing. People drive themselves insane over this. Not caring about Fire Emblem at all saves me a lot of trouble lol

They do, but only on eBay. They're impossible to find in an actual store

Of course they will be impossible to find if they can be sold for 300% - 600% profit. Even stores can just sell them as pre owned if they wanted to. I'm shocked that toys r us had even Charizard for 11 quid. Just stick it on eBay for 20 and call it a day -_-

Bydobob

Well I'm sorry for everyone who missed out in the scramble, a ridiculous state of affairs when you turn up on the morning of release and not a single outlet has stock. For my part I made several phone calls and eventually located some stock at a Smyths near to where a colleague lives. Finding the whole situation quite funny she agreed to turn up before opening and bagged me a Ness, Lucina, Robin and Pacman. Luckily she was first in the queue, they only had one of Ness, Robin and Lucina as I understend it.

Smyths only had 2 new Amiibos, but I think I overheard him talking to his friend on the phone saying he had to give ones to someone in front of me as she pre-ordered them...

Would be funny if this was the same store. They wouldn't reserve or preorder anything though when I asked.

Joqu

I feel sorry for you...

Yes, that's pretty insane, especially mass pre-order cancellings. I've finally seen a (single) wave 4 Amiibo in a store, an Wario obviously. If I understood correctly, the shop received... 5 of them, two Warios, two Charizard and a single Pac-man, and none of the "rare" ones. 4 were preordered, and many preorders couldn't be filled.

It's completely ridiculous...

Heh yeah. :(

I'm genuinely starting to consider the scalper prices and that's just terrible, I don't want to support that shit. I guess I can hold out for some reprints but I wish there was more info on those out there. Some decent communication would be appreciated, Nintendo!

blazeuk

Got Charizard and Wario today, gutted I couldn't get Ness, even more so when Shopto decided to mess me around with their dispatched but not really dispatched email.

EmiPrime

I liked how Nintendo were worried about making too many of the more obscure characters and having them take up space on store shelves but loads of unsold Mario, DK, Luigi, Peach, Diddy and Bowser is somehow okay.

Koren

I'm genuinely starting to consider the scalper prices and that's just terrible, I don't want to support that shit. I guess I can hold out for some reprints but I wish there was more info on those out there.
Same here... I have a preorder for the Dedede reprint, I hope it won't be cancelled. I hope I'll be able to secure wave 5 directly (and avoid cancellations on 4b).

I must admit I paid scalper price on Shulk... Got it for 33€ on Ebay (plus a bit of shipping). But the only reason I tried this is that I received an offer from Ebay/Paypal "buy something for 30+€ with Paypal, get a 15€ discount on the price". That would have been 18€ (plus shipping), really correct.

But unfortunately, the field where you have to enter the discount code *never appeard*, and since you only discover that *after* you win the auction, I was f***. I carefully read the conditions before, and again after, it was definitively possible. Of course, neither Paypal nor Ebay replied to my enquiries. :/

Linius

I liked how Nintendo were worried about making too many of the more obscure characters and having them take up space on store shelves but loads of unsold Mario, DK, Luigi, Peach, Diddy and Bowser is somehow okay.

Yeah, it makes no sense. I see those you mention everywhere. Also Pikachu, Fox and Samus are very common. Tiresome to walk into a store and only see these Amiibo's every time.

MicH

I'm still shocked that the Amiibo situation has somehow gotten worse rather than better. What the hell is Nintendo doing? It's just ridiculous at this point

RiggyRob

Yeah, it makes no sense. I see those you mention everywhere. Also Pikachu, Fox and Samus are very common. Tiresome to walk into a store and only see these Amiibo's every time.

It could be worse.

There could be no amiibo whatsoever, but I'm not entirely sure how having limited stock fits into the whole brand awareness idea.

I'm just massively disappointed with the whole situation. I've nothing from Wave 4 at all (really just wanted Ness and Pacman) and I refuse to bow down to scalpers online. £60 for Ness! £45 for Pacman! WTF?!

Why aren't Nintendo publicly addressing the situation?
Why are stocks so low, especially now, months into production?

Retailers taking advantage of genuine fans wanting to support Nintendo and individuals wanting to make a quick buck at the expense of said fans is sickening.

Tweeted Nintendo Europe & UK with no response back. Blank stares from store employees. eBay full of scalpers. It's a really sad situation that we as fans and these great products have found ourselves in. :(

JonnyKong

Does anyone know how long it takes to make figures like these? I see a lot of people bemoaning Nintendo for not having enough stock, but I don't know how fast they can actually be replicated and what Ninty can do about it.

Yeah.
Here. We have quite of those too.
Luigi and especially Diddy are not wanted

McNum

I'm kind of impressed with the Robin amiibo. That book. That's actually a script used in Fire Emblem. Not sure if it says anything, it's really tiny, but I didn't expect them to do that. He even stands on his own, no plastic stick on him. And if I'm seeing it right, then yes, Lucina does have the Brand of the Exalt in her left eye. (That is the same symbol as on her cape, in case you haven't played Awakening.) Of course she does.

Well, in any case, I got the full set of Fire Emblem amiibo now. Just want Palutena of the Smash set and I think I'm good. And my Splatoon will come with a squid.

Does anyone know how long it takes to make figures like these? I see a lot of people bemoaning Nintendo for not having enough stock, but I don't know how fast they can actually be replicated and what Ninty can do about it.

I think they said it takes around 4-5 months to get them made. Things should be looking a lot better by now but there not and Nintendo's silence or ignorance on the matter isn't helping things either.

It also doesn't help that they seem to create a bunch of one Amiibo and then very few of others. They should be giving them an even spread or at least manufacture more of the ones that have uses in more than one game.

You have Kirby, Dedede and Meta Knight that can be used in the up and coming Kirby game but the last two that I mentioned didn't even make it to many retailers hands. You also have Robin and Lucina that can be used in Codename STEAM but you can't find them to use them. Yet you have ones like Wario and Charizard, that have no unique uses, being over produced. It doesn't make any sense.

I picked up my Pac-Man from Toys R Us and asked them about the shipment. They got 3 Warios and 2 Pac-Mans. I then went to HMV and they didn't get any of the new wave. Of the 2 GAME stores near me, one got 3 Warios and the other got none of the new wave. I'm pretty friendly with one of the workers there and he said that they didn't even get any to fill preorders and that Nintendo aren't sending them out, despite telling them the order situation.

Basically, the whole situation stinks and at this point Nintendo are probably doing a lot more damage than good to their own reputation. These things are supposed to be creating brand awareness. How the hell can you do that if the things aren't even on the shelf?

Zomba13

I think they said it takes around 4-5 months to get them made. Things should be looking a lot better by now but there not and Nintendo's silence or ignorance on the matter isn't helping things either.

It also doesn't help that they seem to create a bunch of one Amiibo and then very few of others. They should be giving them an even spread or at least manufacture more of the ones that have uses in more than one game.

You have Kirby, Dedede and Meta Knight that can be used in the up and coming Kirby game but the last two that I mentioned didn't even make it to many retailers hands. You also have Robin and Lucina that can be used in Codename STEAM but you can't find them to use them. Yet you have ones like Wario and Charizard, that have no unique uses, being over produced. It doesn't make any sense.

I picked up my Pac-Man from Toys R Us and asked them about the shipment. They got 3 Warios and 2 Pac-Mans. I then went to HMV and they didn't get any of the new wave. Of the 2 GAME stores near me, one got 3 Warios and the other got none of the new wave. I'm pretty friendly with one of the workers there and he said that they didn't even get any to fill preorders and that Nintendo aren't sending them out, despite telling them the order situation.

Basically, the whole situation stinks and at this point Nintendo are probably doing a lot more damage than good to their own reputation. These things are supposed to be creating brand awareness. How the hell can you do that if the things aren't even on the shelf?

Agree. I mean, I know these are harder to make and distribute than games (I assume it's harder to make these than just print disks and the like) but even then, they are shipped in such low numbers that only the diehard or lucky get them or you're left with Wave 1/2 commons. You'd think that Nintendo would see how fast they sold out in Wave 1 and bump up production on later waves. I know you don't want to produce too much and be left with stock on shelves but right now there is no stock on shelves and it's the scalpers who are making money off it. I assume it's be better for bussiness if the demand was fulfilled by Nintendo rather than scalpers selling to the super desperate who really want their Fire Emblem and Eathbound figures.

So, out of the "current" wave I have managed to only get a Wario and Charizard from a pre-order months ago...

Missing PAC-MAN, Lucina, Ness and Robin.

Looked this morning at the usual outlets, no retailer has any stock what so ever of the missing Amiibos and the Scalper prices are just getting beyond ridiculous now.

I just don't understand what is happening here with Nintendo and the Amiibo situation, it's not as if people are not going to buy them, this is obvious.

Makes you wonder if they have heard of the phrase "supply and demand"?

Top Bottom