• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

Trump nudge nudge winked winked Comey to drop the Gen Flynn investigation. Comey kept records, leaked to press after he got sacked.

I honestly can't keep track. I've got in trouble a few times arguing American politics on GAF, and fair enough you really do need to live there/know your stuff to get just how crazy it is. So I largely avoid it now other than rolling my eyes every time I see yet another headline of Trump being some idiot, or them yet again pissing on health care.

So centre-left pro Europe government in 5 years since we've had 7 years of Conservative government by now? pls pls pls

We've done not bad convincing the people a centre-left government has the right ideals around society/compassion/principles, even if we don't have it perfect yet. However, the country is still easily scared to think we'll be drooling zomboids at being able to take care of ourselves like many other small EU nations do.

Acorn

This might be, might be the beginning of the end of Trump, AB. Obstruction of justice essentially.

They must impeach but yeah Republicans​. I really want to watch that racist fuckers world collapse, only Farage would be sweeter.

I honestly can't keep track. I've got in trouble a few times arguing American politics on GAF, and fair enough you really do need to live there/know your stuff to get just how crazy it is. So I largely avoid it now other than rolling my eyes every time I see yet another headline of Trump being some idiot, or them yet again pissing on health care.

We've done not bad convincing the people a centre-left government has the right ideals around society/compassion/principles, even if we don't have it perfect yet. However, the country is still easily scared to think we'll be drooling zomboids at being able to take care of ourselves like many other small EU nations do.

I definitely think a good approach for independent EU Scotland would be to go ham on the tech industry like Ireland is doing. Ireland has recovered extremely well from the Euro crisis because of that reorientation. Free education at all levels which you have will help build a more skilled workforce that's attractive for those companies.

Acorn

I definitely think a good approach for independent EU Scotland would be to go ham on the tech industry like Ireland is doing. Ireland has recovered extremely well from the Euro crisis because of that reorientation.
Not big on being a low tax and Tax haven state. Part of the reason I didn't like the independence white paper and bitterly fucking wished Scottish labour would've produced an alternate one.

Audioboxer

I definitely think a good approach for independent EU Scotland would be to go ham on the tech industry like Ireland is doing. Ireland has recovered extremely well from the Euro crisis because of that reorientation. Free education at all levels which you have will help build a more skilled workforce that's attractive for those companies.

It's all about the Whisky man!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-38737183

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-39022740

The drunks create the best drunk export.

TimmmV

Side note you know what sucks? I was born in this country lived here my entire life and my dad is English, however since my mother is French, I don't have English citizenship and therefore can't vote in the general election.

Like shouldn't I automatically be English my father is English working class as it gets he never paid child support and looks like he would fit on the Jeremy kyle show!

Yes I know I could get English citizenship but with brexit I'm glad I have a french passport.

I'm in very similar circumstances to this (only German instead of French). Depending on your circumstances you might actually already be considered British anyway. It depends on a load of things like when you were born and if your parents are married. I think there is another thing related to whether your mother had expressed her right to residence (or something like that) that could entitle you to it as well, but am less sure on that one. You've probably checked already, but there is a good tool here that can give you an idea https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizen

Personally, I'm not because of the year I was born in and my parents never getting married, but still could be without doing the citizenship exam and only paying for that ceremony thing. Saying that, I don't feel particularly British at the moment so don't really want to

jelly

May "The UK economy has grown at one of the fastest rates in world, employment has increased since Labour was in power. Never forget what those numbers mean for working families, how important tax revenue is for public services etc. Greater economic security, None of this happened by accident, our economic progress has been dearly won, could easily be lost if the wrong policies were pursued in years ahead. It is frankly all at risk."

In the EU all those years, leaving the EU. Uh huh.

I'm in very similar circumstances to this (only German instead of French). Depending on your circumstances you might actually already be considered British anyway. It depends on a load of things like when you were born and if your parents are married. I think there is another thing related to whether your mother had expressed her right to residence (or something like that) that could entitle you to it as well, but am less sure on that one. You've probably checked already, but there is a good tool here that can give you an idea https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizen

Personally, I'm not because of the year I was born in and my parents never getting married, but still could be without doing the citizenship exam and only paying for that ceremony thing. Saying that, I don't feel particularly British at the moment so don't really want to
The hell? This is a real thing? I naively thought if you were born in this country you become a citizen, regardless of your parents nationality. My mother is English and my father is Iranian and I have nationality, but maybe it's because they are married?
Makes me want to check up on the rules in case my kids have similar issues with my wife not being a British national.

TimmmV

The hell? This is a real thing? I naively thought if you were born in this country you become a citizen, regardless of your parents nationality. My mother is English and my father is Iranian and I have nationality, but maybe it's because they are married?
Makes me want to check up on the rules in case my kids have similar issues with my wife not being a British national.

Well the bolded isn't true, no. The rules are weird and complicated depending on when you were born and your parents status at the time. I know for me, there is some form you have to complete which has guide notes titled "Registration as a British citizen - A guide for certain persons born before 1 July 2006 to British fathers and whose parents were not married"

Looking at it, I think you would be English because your mum is, and your kids would be if they were born after 2006. But I'm far from an expert, so it would be worth double checking yes.

Maledict

What you're describing is "birthright" citizenship, and it's extremely rare. The USA is the only major country to practise it from my understanding.,

f0rk

Do you think an independent Scotland should follow the same tax regime as Ireland to attract these tech companies?

Spuck-uk

Banned
People tend to turn blue by the time they get their pensions. It is what keeps conservatives going despite this reality.

Eh, not necessarily. My Dad turned from a Lib Dem voter to a Labour supporter in his 60s

..and he's from the South East as well,

hodgy100

I hope I always stay open minded enough to constantly challenge my own political opinions. I hope to always eer on the side that protects those that arent as lucky as myself.

I've found my father that votes tory has a sense of nostalgia for the 80's i assume these were his formative years. but i've caught him outright saying "why cant things be as good as they were in the 80's" It's like his voting habits are him trying to cling onto that past.

Spuck-uk

Banned
H52fnS22St2RIJpFFd8D_mailweds.JPG

hurrah-blackshirts2.jpg

Trash newspaper has always, will always be trash.

Burn it alongside copies of the sun

pieface

I wish there was some way to galvanise the youth and get them to vote, it's such a shame that they have their lives dictated by old people but do nothing about it.

I do get it though, politics is something i've only just started caring about. I've never voted before (other than EU ref), I've always had the opinion that "they're all the same" etc.... i'm 29 now, and I realise how wrong I was.

I'm voting Labour even though they are a mess, the manifesto is so refreshing. Fuck austerity.

Spuck-uk

Banned

Ireland did this by turning itself into a Tax Haven. It's also small enough that the UK can absorb the graduate population when they have to leave because the economy is in the toilet yet again.

Not the first time they've done this, and a genuine part of the reason the 'celtic tiger' economy fell on its arse.

Ireland is ...not a good model to follow economically, there's a reason I, and almost all my friends left the place and never looked back.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I wish there was some way to galvanise the youth and get them to vote, it's such a shame that they have their lives dictated by old people but do nothing about it.

I do get it though, politics is something i've only just started caring about. I've never voted before (other than EU ref), I've always had the opinion that "they're all the same" etc.... i'm 29 now, and I realise how wrong I was.

I'm voting Labour even though they are a mess, the manifesto is so refreshing. Fuck austerity.

Honestly, the manifesto is the most radical thing we'll see in UK politics in decades, and if that doesn't shake up youth voters that they can infact vote for soemthing different, then we're fucked when it all goes back to a grey sludge of centrist pointlessness again.

EmiPrime

The front page of the latest issue of Private Eye... so good.

Would take a photo of it to share but I'm on mobile. It's a battle bus special.

Do you think an independent Scotland should follow the same tax regime as Ireland to attract these tech companies?

I dislike tax havens but as a small country with a small population you have to make yourself attractive to investment somehow. Unfortunate but you do what you have to.

If Brexit doesn't make young voters vote since they will get screwed over the most through less opportunities then nothing will.

Anecdotally, I speak with a fair number of young people who give the same response when asked about the election 'They're all the same, they're all liars, whats the point in voting, nothing changes, they only care about old people, X and Y won't affect me anyway' etc.

Except within a few minutes of getting past those empty statements, they quickly realise that there's a lot of issues that they care about, that they want to see change on, and that the party does make a big difference to changing what the country looks like.

So whilst I'm not slating the young, there's a significant proportion who are switched off, apathetic, and disenfranchised, who don't watch the news, who don't feel they have a stake in society, but who largely imo could be talked into taking an interest quite easily. On Brexit specifically, there's plenty of young people who voted leave for the same misguided and ignorant reasons as the old. They don't see that Brexit will screw them over. They've picked up the leave campaign lines hook line and sinker.

Tbh, I don't know if there's an easy answer to this apathy, it's an issue which could take years to stem.

pieface

I really like the idea of having a another referendum to approve the Brexit deal. Why Labour haven't included this is beyond me.

pieface

it would lose them many votes

Would it?

48% didn't want to leave in the first place, so an opportunity to have another say would surely entice people in. Then you have the youth, who may not have voted in the EU referendum thinking it was pointless, may choose to now.

hodgy100

Would it?

48% didn't want to leave in the first place, so an opportunity to have another say would surely entice people in. Then you have the youth, who may not have voted in the EU referendum thinking it was pointless, may choose to now.

and a bunch of that 48% now are of the opinion that a question was posed and a decision was made and that should not circumvented. if there was a 2nd vote without the option of staying in the EU as in, it purely involved the UK's future involvement with the EU when outside it. I think that would be OK, but any 2nd vote with an option to just stay in the EU will be seen as an obstruction of democracy.

Real Hero

Would it?

It definitely would, most people just want to get on with it.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Would it?

Sadly, yes, it would likely lose Labour a lot of seats.

*Splinter

More houses?
Electoral/Constitutional reform?
Legal Marijuana?

🤔 Tempting

Would it?

A large chunk of that 48% will vote Labour regardless though. I think the argument is that supporting Remain would lose more Leavers than it would gain Remainers.

PJV3

It's a little strange to see this division between PM and Chancellor develop, it's not a very stable relationship by the looks of it.

A bit worrying if he goes as she seems to have a thing for complete brexit bell ends, and he seemed to be on of the saner ones in her team.

As suspected, it's a pitch to be leader of the opposition. Of course the Daily Politics used this as an excuse to say it was "pointless".

This is us stepping out our stall for the next five years (and so that a debate can be had on our policies - they tend to get stolen, after all).

We think we're going to be with the prevailing public mood in the end. But this election will be about a set of seats we think we can win, whilst building our presence for the continued fight until 2022. Hopefully voters in our target seats take a look at the manifesto and like what our MP hopefuls will be fighting for.

I dread to think what the next parliament will be like if the Tories can do whatever they want - which is exactly what they'll be able to do if no party steps up as the opposition.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
No part of the Labour manifesto speaks to the insanity of it all than the "no rough sleeping by 2020" bit. Just a swift 3 years and bam, homelessness solved! It's jostling with Burnham's Manchester pledge of course, which was a tall order of its own.

All while water, energy, rail, and post are nationalised and free buses and no university costs and and and and and.

Just the sheer lack of ANY self control across the whole thing. If you can dream it, we can do it!!!!!

giphy.gif

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Cable's talking nonsense. If May has a majority, as he says he expects, the only way any opposition party can have any influence is by working with Conservative rebels. The bigger May's majority, the harder that is to do. So to influence May's policy, you need to be taking back Conservative seats and fighting for votes that would otherwise go Conservatives. Instead, the Liberal Democrats are off after Labour's votes, which will have absolutely no effect on the Conservatives - heck, they're loving it.

No part of the Labour manifesto speaks to the insanity of it all than the "no rough sleeping by 2020" bit. Just a swift 3 years and bam, homelessness solved! It's jostling with Burnham's Manchester pledge of course, which was a tall order of its own.

All while water, energy, rail, and post are nationalised and free buses and no university costs and and and and and.

Just the sheer lack of ANY self control across the whole thing. If you can dream it, we can do it!!!!!

giphy.gif

They're in opposition, or do you not remember the happy smiley Conservative pledges before they were elected, "Big Society" ring a bell?

https://twitter.com/bbc5live/status/864812170491645952

Yeah, I think this is fair enough. Understanding the chances and positioning yourself to do the most you can within what is available to you makes sense. I hope the LD's gain some traction with this campaign.

I swear, with the exception of one interview where he was a bit wobbly on some data, Cable has been a stable set of hands to deliver things clearly this election. He's the straight man to Farron's fervour.

Instead, the Liberal Democrats are off after Labour's votes, which will have absolutely no effect on the Conservatives - heck, they're loving it.

This is not true!

If a seat is traded from Labour to the Lib Dems, that doesn't help the Conservatives.

If a seat is traded from the Tories to the Lib Dems, that hurts the Conservatives.

And skimming through our list of target seats, there's not a noticeable favouring of Labour seats.

More of our defences are against Tories than Labour and the SNP combined, for example.

Obviously we want to unseat Labour if we can win the seat - more Lib Dems means more Lib Dem policy being argued for in parliament, more seats on the various panels and committees, etc.

Rodelero

As suspected, it's a pitch to be leader of the opposition. Of course the Daily Politics used this as an excuse to say it was "pointless".

This is us stepping out our stall for the next five years (and so that a debate can be had on our policies - they tend to get stolen, after all).

We think we're going to be with the prevailing public mood in the end. But this election will be about a set of seats we think we can win, whilst building our presence for the continued fight until 2022. Hopefully voters in our target seats take a look at the manifesto and like what our MP hopefuls will be fighting for.

I dread to think what the next parliament will be like if the Tories can do whatever they want - which is exactly what they'll be able to do if no party steps up as the opposition.

This country is going to be in dreadful state in five years barring some kind of miracle on June the 8th. Can you imagine what would happen if another financial/economic crisis befalls us during that period? The thought is making me feel quite unwell.

I pray for the Liberal Democrats to make progress this election, but I have a horrid feeling they're going to be treading water.

This is not true!

If a seat is traded from Labour to the Lib Dems, that doesn't help the Conservatives.

If a seat is traded from the Tories to the Lib Dems, that hurts the Conservatives.

And skimming through our list of target seats, there's not a noticeable favouring of Labour seats.

It kind of is true. At the seat level, yes, the Lib Dems winning seats clearly doesn't benefit the Conservatives. At the vote level though, the Lib Dems doing better could well help the Conservatives win seats they'd otherwise lose to Labour.

Number45

Cable's talking nonsense. If May has a majority, as he says he expects, the only way any opposition party can have any influence is by working with Conservative rebels. The bigger May's majority, the harder that is to do. So to influence May's policy, you need to be taking back Conservative seats and fighting for votes that would otherwise go Conservatives. Instead, the Liberal Democrats are off after Labour's votes, which will have absolutely no effect on the Conservatives - heck, they're loving it.
I've not compared the manifesto's yet, but are what the LD's promising different from what they'd usually be expecting to promise or are they clearly positioning to take votes from Labour? All I'm getting is that they know they need more MP's to have any kind of meaningful influence on parliament, but I get what you're saying if they're cannibalising votes from everyone either than the Conservatives then ultimately the combined opposition is in no stronger position.

Auctopus

Why Labour haven't included this is beyond me.

Really? It's because it would lose them a ton of votes - even if it is their plan to, they shouldn't mention it.

Same way Lib Dems have stupidly announced the legalisation of Marijuana. THat's like something you do in the 2nd or 3rd Semester. Not something in your manifesto that angers the people who actually are gonna go out and vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom