• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, that is 100% fair for Neil to do. Corbyn was obviously a terrorist sympathiser and has now decided to totally misrepresent his history with the IRA.

Honestly, I'm just not sure how much people care. I mean, there's a small minority that care a lot, but the attitude of most British people towards Northern Ireland is "...we still have it? Do they speak English?". Let alone the fact this was in the '80s. I think the reason the Conservatives haven't used it as a line of attack all that much is because it just isn't that effective compared to "he'll fuck the economy".

It's like how Clinton was going to drop the oppo on Sanders by talking about him bigging up the Sandinistas. Never really got going.

Rodelero

Just watching Sky News, and Ed Conway, their economics editor, has just gone through some worked examples of how people would be affected by the old social care policy and the proposed one. He missed out, essentially, the key detail of the change (that your home wasn't assessed before and will be in future) and then showed that people would be better off under the new system than the old one!

Ridiculous.

Hazzuh

Honestly, I'm just not sure how much people care. I mean, there's a small minority that care a lot, but the attitude of most British people towards Northern Ireland is "...we still have it? Do they speak English?". Let alone the fact this was in the '80s. I think the reason the Conservatives haven't used it as a line of attack all that much is because it just isn't that effective compared to "he'll fuck the economy".

It's like how Clinton was going to drop the oppo on Sanders by talking about him bigging up the Sandinistas. Never really got going.

I understand that most people may not care but Labour supporters should at least be honest. The idea that Corbyn that was working for peace in NI is obviously not true, although it is amusing seeing some repeat Corbyn's BS verbatim in the same breath they dismiss Tory supporters as brainwashed rubes.

I understand that most people may not care but Labour supporters should at least be honest. The idea that Corbyn that was working for peace in NI is obviously not true , although it is amusing seeing some repeat Corbyn's BS verbatim in the same breath they dismiss Tory supporters as brainwashed rubes.

Can I get some info behind this?

Faddy

Banned
NHS targets are a tick box exercise and don't reflect quality of care? What? Oh boy.

Waiting times in A&E, cancelled operation rates, infection rates, waiting time for operations, cancer survival rates, are all symptomatic of the general level of patient care.

Typical Tory, can't be trusted with the NHS.

On a lighter note, who the does May think she is? A maester of the Citadel in Old Town?

Targets don't matter when WE fail to meet them.

And obviously the immigration target of <100,000 is only a tick box exercise as well that doesn't matter either.

That interview was not good for Theresa May.

I actually began to get incredibly annoyed that she couldn't answer a question straight, and just reverted to slogans and then attacking Labour with no connection to the context of the question.

You've failed on the immigration targets and the deficit - admit it!

*Splinter

Just watching Sky News, and Ed Conway, their economics editor, has just gone through some worked examples of how people would be affected by the old social care policy and the proposed one. He missed out, essentially, the key detail of the change (that your home wasn't assessed before and will be in future) and then showed that people would be better off under the new system than the old one!

Ridiculous.
I thought your home WAS assessed if you go into residential care?

Edit: I must be wrong, hang on

Bleh I can't figure it out

Burai

shitonmychest57
Andrew Neil's not a hack. It'll probably be one question and Farron has been trained how not to fuck it up now.

Yeah. The only reason it felt like he kept pounding May with the same questions over and over again is because she refused to answer anything. You answer the question satisfactorily and he will move on.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

It is.

At the moment it isn't assessed for home care. The proposal was to raise the floor and level between the two at £100k assets including housing equity.

Of course it was a bit flawed but was actually pretty brave polixy, until May flip flopped of course.

Gotta keep off of my phone at the mo, the general election is really distracting me from work, he he.

Farron apparently got heckled by Labour activists before going into a town hall in Vauxhall earlier. Not sure why. Probably just Momentum activists acting like trots.

Targets don't matter when WE fail to meet them.

And obviously the immigration target of <100,000 is only a tick box exercise as well that doesn't matter either.

Andrew left no wiggle room when he pressed on non EU immigration not falling over the past 7 years despite total control. It's something that I'm disappointed in the media (and the remain campaign) not chasing the Tories/leave campaign over during this campaign/last few years.

It's a farce, based on no actual economics or detailed reasoning (numbers from my arse) and the vague 'target' is merely pandering to a (sadly sizable) chunk of the electorate. Though I will admit looking tough (regardless of actual actions) works well with&#8203; a lot of voters.

Hyams

Sigh. This election is even more depressing than I thought it would be. At least when it was announced I thought the Lib Dems could claim a few more seats and Labour might end up with a new leader at the end of it.

Now it's looking like the Lib Dems are going to end up worse than before, and Corbyn may well do enough to justify staying on as leader.

Meanwhile the Tories will get their majority regardless.

Once the election is over I suspect I'll be politically homeless.

May says the consultation for home care will happen after the election, so we don't have any idea what the cap will be and the reason for the U-turn was not about being fairer or losing votes or voter backlash but about other parties having a field day with it according to her

Doesn't give anyone confidence and sounds like a real gamble.

Daffy Duck

May says the consultation for home care will happen after the election, so we don't have any idea what the cap will be and the reason for the U-turn was not about being fairer or losing votes or voter backlash but about other parties having a field day with it according to her

Doesn't give anyone confidence and sounds like a real gamble.

Doesn't sound strong and stable at all.

Spuck-uk

Banned
At a toss up, what is the safe option in people's mind considering the last week?

Labour or still Tory?

Don't think it's enough to swing it to the Labour when they hit the booths, people usually don't gamble last second so if Tory was there choice for a while they'll stick with it.

Labour, but then I'm lefty scum.

The tories record in government over the last few years has been pathetic by any estimate, they've failed to meet ever their own vile targets.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Andrew Neil will go full TERRORIST SYMPATHISER on Corbyn if his This Week shows are anything to go for. Only hope is that it's on the Friday so maybe the less viewed show.

Probably, but then, it's nothing he hasn't faced before. Not going to make headlines repeating the same things people have heard for two years. I mean it's been in the papers this week, and his answers were good despite the attempts to bait him out.

Case in point:
https://twitter.com/LabourEoin/status/866232173216616448

FWIW I grew up in Ireland aand FFS nobody wants that shit dragged up again for any reason, peace in NI is one of the few truly good things that's come out of the UK in my lifetime.

Jackpot

Banned
Sigh. This election is even more depressing than I thought it would be. At least when it was announced I thought the Lib Dems could claim a few more seats and Labour might end up with a new leader at the end of it.

Now it's looking like the Lib Dems are going to end up worse than before, and Corbyn may well do enough to justify staying on as leader.

Meanwhile the Tories will get their majority regardless.

Once the election is over I suspect I'll be politically homeless.

I think I prefer the current version (assuming national polls translate to no. of MPs). A hobbled Tory party means they have to compromise instead of getting a blank cheque. There's the long-term disadvantage of Corbyn staying on but the fallout from a landslide loss has too many variables to guarantee a new Labour leader leading a resurgence happens.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I personally would have preferred Boris as PM, just to have "BORIS MEETS TRUMP" as headlines across the world, shortly followed by headlines reading "WORLD IS DOOMED".

So Crab, how well do you think your man will do?

I am sodding TERRIFIED for Farron now.

Similarly to Corbyn, what do you say to him that hasn't already been dug up again and again over the last month?

Hyams

I think I prefer the current version (assuming national polls translate to no. of MPs). A hobbled Tory party means they have to compromise instead of getting a blank cheque. There's the long-term disadvantage of Corbyn staying on but the fallout from a landslide loss has too many variables to guarantee a new Labour leader leading a resurgence happens.

Current polls point to a 50-100 seat majority for the Conservatives, rather than the 100-200 from earlier polls. I'd hardly call that 'hobbled'. They'd need to slip much further before I could celebrate that.

With Farron I expect a lot of 'why do a second referendum, soft Brexit is fair enough but why give a remain option' questions. Also the Conservative record on the NHS is nothing to be proud of. My relatives working in the medical field can back me up on that.

If someone more competent than Corbyn was at the helm Labour would probably be in with a shot of winning :/

To be honest I don't want a second referendum. I want a party to push to stay in the EEA and that's it. No need for even more stupid referendums. Of the big two Labour is more likely to accept the EEA membership because at their heart they are a pro-European party despite Corbyn. Would rather have a human rights lawyer who cares about people's rights negotiating this than May's team.

sammex

Interesting spectrum of coverage on the U turn, one of the biggest stories of the election so far, in tomorrow's front pages...

From straight acknowledgement

DAdSCPdWAAAUQHJ.jpg:large
DAdcno2XkAM_CGj.jpg:large
DAddQUGXcAAIeHx.jpg:large
DAdftw7XcAEjTUA.jpg:large
DAdgfdqWsAA0n63.jpg:large
DAdhyW0XUAEFvl3.jpg:large

To pretending it's a positive or doesn't exist

jm89

Watching the papers on the BBC so glad alot of newspapers are calling her out on her u turn. She won't be very happy tomorrow, perfect time for her to to distract everyone by focusing her campaign on brexit again and shitting on the eu.

Breakage

Theresa May doesn't directly answer the questions that are put to her. She just blatantly evades it. You only do that when you're bullshitting people.

Spaghetti

My dad admitted to me today he liked the sound of the Labour manifesto, which was quite a surprise considering he's someone who has never, ever voted Labour and actually been a solid Conservative voter since 1979.

It's anecdotal evidence, I know; but a bit of a shock all the same.

My cousin has also been putting a lot of "vote Labour" stuff about, when previously she was a fairly hardened UKIPPER who may have easily gone to the Conservatives. Why the switch? A Lithuanian boyfriend and the Conservatives playing politics with the status of EU nationals in the UK.

DBT85

My dad admitted to me today he liked the sound of the Labour manifesto, which was quite a surprise considering he's someone who has never, ever voted Labour and actually been a solid Conservative voter since 1979.

Oh I wish this would happen. I absolutely cannot see my dad ever voting anything other than Tory.

Crazy. You want to increase income tax a little bit on higher earners so we can spread the risk and pay for essential services like the NHS, and what do people do? Scream that "they worked hard" and that "they've paid their due". Then say OK you who are getting the benefit of the home care should pay for your care, and to be nice we'll ensure you can still leave a small sum for your kids, and what do people say? No! someone else should pay for my care. It's absolutely mind-boggling how both these opinions are the mainstream. It's not just have you cake and eat it, it's have your cake and someone else's too! if you "worked hard" and don't want to pay anything more to society then maybe you should use that hard earned cash and look after your own damn self.

Pandy

Holy heck at that Express sub-heading!

Basically reads, "We're about to cure dementia anyway, so why worry about a dementia tax?"

Rodelero

I believe you are correct (in that your home's value can be assessed if you are no longer living in it). The key change in policy, from my understanding, is that your home is assessed even if you continue to live in it. Thus, anyone trying to illustrate the change should be talking about that case - where you receive in-home care - otherwise they lead the reader/viewer to beleive the change is small or even a positive one.

Can we also focus on May outright lying in the interview saying Corbyn wanted unregulated immigration, I mean what the fuck?

Saying you don't want to put caps but instead structure the process to benefit the Country isn't the same as saying "fuck it, everyone come in!"

Absolutely disgusting and wish it was picked up on.

Crazy. You want to increase income tax a little bit on higher earners so we can spread the risk and pay for essential services like the NHS, and what do people do? Scream that "they worked hard" and that "they've paid their due". Then say OK you who are getting the benefit of the home care should pay for your care, and to be nice we'll ensure you can still leave a small sum for your kids, and what do people say? No! someone else should pay for my care. It's absolutely mind-boggling how both these opinions are the mainstream. It's not just have you cake and eat it, it's have your cake and someone else's too! if you "worked hard" and don't want to pay anything more to society then maybe you should use that hard earned cash and look after your own damn self.
If they're a higher earner then they've already paid more in to the system. It's not like higher earners aren't already paying a lot more tax every month. The problem is, where does it end. We can keep having this conversation and keep increasing tax for higher earners until we all end up with the same take home pay. Then where is the incentive or aspiration for a career or entrepreneurship? And why would high earners stay in the UK and contribute to the economy?

Spaghetti

Oh I wish this would happen. I absolutely cannot see my dad ever voting anything other than Tory.
I don't think he'll vote differently, and I'm in a rock solid Labour seat all the same; but it's nice to see the cracks show and gives me hope it might be the case with other people in more marginal seats.

Dougald

If they're a higher earner then they've already paid more in to the system. It's not like higher earners aren't already paying a lot more tax every month. The problem is, where does it end. We can keep having this conversation and keep increasing tax for higher earners until we all end up with the same take home pay. Then where is the incentive or aspiration for a career or entrepreneurship? And why would high earners stay in the UK and contribute to the economy?

That's not how tax bands work

Randdalf

The only thing I can think of whenever I see tomorrow's papers ... is when was the last time the Daily Express didn't have a ludicrous extreme weather warning on its front page?

Also, lmao @ "now 10p ... <in tiny letters> cheaper"

Can anyone give me a completely unbiased run down of Corbyn and the IRA?

There was a post in here earlier, implying that the belief that his involvement as peacemaker was factually incorrect, and now I'm curious.

Not to discredit him, but purely because there's so much disinformation flying around at the moment...

How do you think "high earners" get their money? Do they create it out of thin air? Higher earners are not this system unconnected from everything else. The taxes we pay that keep people healthy means that productivity goes up. The taxes we pay allow us to have some of the best universities in the world which means that companies have a talent pool to choose from. The taxes we pay allow us to pay for pensions and care so that the higher earners don't have to quit their jobs to look after mom/dad when they get old. Taxes mean that we have well paved roads and a public transport system. Taxes means that we have infrastructure for high speed internet which has opened up a ridiculous amount of money making opportunities. Do not behave as if regular people are leeches or parasites, the vast majority of higher wage earners only exist because of the system of taxation to fund public services.

The only thing I can think of whenever I see tomorrow's papers ... is when was the last time the Daily Express didn't have a ludicrous extreme weather warning on its front page?

They interchange the weather warnings with immigrants, Maddie, or Diana, depending on the day.

Theonik

We have a progressive taxation system. High earners will never earn less than people earning less. If anything, the job market prices higher taxation into its values. I would never accept a job offer if it didn't come with a significant increase in my take home pay so that actually makes pay rises somewhat non-linear.

Their weather reports are always done by the same guy.

I'm actually jealous that someone has made such an easy career of making shit up.

I could do that!

The newspaper headlines are hilarious. I am enjoying watching May's entire pitch to the electorate disintegrate.

I don't think she is going to lose this election, but I think she is going to encourage many of those UKIP voters to stay home.

Caught up on Farron vs Labour hecklers.

The Lib Dem candidate (Turner) is laughing about it. Farron is confronted by a man with a "Farron is a homophobe" sign.

Farron asks him nicely "why don't you come in?"

The mans says "No thanks, I'll spend my evening campaigning. I'd never waste time at a Lib Dem event."

Dude is picketing a Lib Dem event.

A woman shrieks "TELL US ABOUT THE BEDROOM TAX TIM!"

Farron says "Why won't you come in?" The heckler says "Because I don't like you!"

So Farron leans over to the women and says "Well, I like you, so I'd like you to come in. But if not, fair enough." Then he walks inside.

Entertaining to watch.

How many brain cells does it take to realise that Farron's been accosted twice before on the campaign trail and been perfectly alright about it? If you are Vauxhall Labour, don't big up that the opposition party leader was there, and don't make it easy for him to just be infuriatingly nice to you.

Empty

catching up with the andrew neil interview with may on iplayer. god she's actually worse than expected when put under even the tiniest pressure. pitiful.

ohhh if only there were head to head tv debates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom