• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmmV

Things UKIP wants:

20. An end to the European Arrest Warrant, because it should be hard for those accused of crimes abroad to be extradited (pretty much their own words)
23. "No foreign wars" - not even against ISIS, presumably...
24. Massive investment in the military
25. Make ex-military personnel immune from prosecution for anything they did in the military.

with 20/25, its good to see UKIPs priority to turn the UK into a place that harbours criminals (provided its against forruns obviously)

With 23/24, do they say what their planned purpose of this extra massive investment of money is, if its not going to be used for foreign war? Isn't that kind of the point of the military?

So UKIP want to build an even bigger boat to help even more poor Africans, and they get called racist. Typical!

Oh no, it just struck me as an interesting policy. "We'll build a bigger boat. With MORE BEDS."

In reality they'd be cutting international aid by billions of pounds, meaning Britain is less able to help those in need.

Theonik

So UKIP want to build an even bigger boat to help even more poor Africans, and they get called racist. Typical!
But they want to reduce foreign aid. So with their other pledge to end foreign wars presumably this new ship would be docked in the Thames and act as an NHS hospital.

Another win for the NHS!

Uzzy

Replacing the Argus makes sense. It's a modified container vessel from the 1980s, so a new purpose built hospital ship would be a good thing. Not at the cost of the foreign aid budget, of course.

Jackpot

Banned
Oh hey UKIP are politicising the bombing

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ampaign-resumes-may-nato-summit-politics-live

At the Ukip manifesto launch Suzanne Evans, the party’s deputy chairwoman, said Theresa May “must bear some responsibility” for the Manchester attack.

Here is the key quote.

I think she [May] must bear some responsibility - all politicians who voted against measures or voted for measures to make cuts bear some responsibility.

As I said, I think when 9/11 happened we should have had a serious rethink about immigration, it didn’t happen.

Of course the European Union is equally culpable as well and I also lay a lot of blame at the feet of the commissioners as well.

I knew it was May and the evil EU all along!

Yup, this is something that can hit home.

Brexit is totally off the agenda.

Reading the Guardian article from Wells today. Lots of small l Tory voters saying "I'm probably not going to vote". Some saying "I'm not a fan of Tim Farron" - bah! - but hopefully that means they can be squeezed to vote for their former MP, Tessa Munt.

Oh hey UKIP are politicising the bombing

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ampaign-resumes-may-nato-summit-politics-live

I knew it was May and the evil EU all along!
I love how they chalk 9/11 up to 'immigration' being the real issue there. As with here, where immigration also wasn't directly an issue as the dude is British unless their policy is to exile brown people who aren't Christian. To blame the EU as well, it makes my head spin, especially with the benefits to intelligence.

Fucking morons. Like, I'd get it if they were being disingenuous but to ignore reality so much to be that stupid, just awful.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Blaming joining the EU is especially stupid, since Abedi's parents arrived in 1992, a year prior to the implementation of the Maastricht Treaty, and he was born here.

King_Moc

Banned
They immigrated before 9/11 so their bullshit scorched earth racism still wouldn't have worked. It would probably have things even worse with the homegrown terrorists. Which by the way, for anyone still unclear on this, is all of them.

PJV3

Former Manchester PCC pointing the finger at budget cuts too. There's validity to this. It has to be handled sensibly but it needs to be handled.

It's not just cuts, wasn't the government moving money away from poorer inner-city areas to more "leafy" areas?

Any idea when polling will resume?

There will have been polling done prior to the bombing (collected Sun-Mon) that needs to be published. Polling should not have been done until today at the earliest, and will probably actually start tomorrow. So I'd expect Yougov's weekly poll to hit on Sunday as usual - that'll be the first time we see how much damage this has done to the election.

The tone of the campaign was already intensifying - now it will get very nasty. UKIP have their USP now - they're anti Muslim immigration - so they should rise in the polls at the expense of the Tories and Labour.

We all knew that UKIP would flip to the next easy target after the EU stopped being it. It's just the next step in the far right's war.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Probably back in full swing next week

I think the first fieldwork is being conducted on Friday, from some of my friends in YouGov. So I think Saturday should be the first release.

EDIT: There's also some stuff conducted just prior to the attack which hasn't been released yet. Not sure if they'll go ahead.

There will have been polling done prior to the bombing (collected Sun-Mon) that needs to be published. Polling should not have been done until today at the earliest, and will probably actually start tomorrow. So I'd expect Yougov's weekly poll to hit on Sunday as usual - that'll be the first time we see how much damage this has done to the election.

The tone of the campaign was already intensifying - now it will get very nasty. UKIP have their USP now - they're anti Muslim immigration - so they should rise in the polls at the expense of the Tories and Labour.

We all knew that UKIP would flip to the next easy target after the EU stopped being it. It's just the next step in the far right's war.

Presumably the most likely people to shift to UKIP will be past UKIP voters who were now likely to go Tory. That can only help Labour, really.

Nah, a UKIP resurgence isn't going to happen. They're a single issue party that's outlived their usefulness, that's why they're down to 2% in some polls.

Sure. But in terms of where any influx of voters to UKIP are likely to come from, it's almost certainly going to be a higher proportion from people who would have voted Tory.

Ah, I think I see what you mean

Labour voters voting Tory at this election might go to UKIP
The current reported voters of Labour are probably not going to flip.

BTW - The Lib Dems have withdrawn our PPB for tonight. Instead will be a simple non-political message from Farron regarding the Manchester Arena bombing.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
It will be interesting to see if anyone does actually go back to UKIP, I can see a lot of anger on social media but I'm not sure how much of it is racist people being happy to have something yell about again and how much is actually a shift in public opinion. I suspect it's almost entirely the former.

I think parties will have more luck from the 'we need extra policing and less public privacy' line than an anti-muslim one, it doesn't seem lost on the posts I'm seeing on facebook that this guy was a British citizen.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think there will be much move back to UKIP. They were only ever a vote to force a referendum. They're never going to actually govern, and so that makes their policies irrelevant.

Snowman

I don't think there will be much move back to UKIP. They were only ever a vote to force a referendum. They're never going to actually govern, and so that makes their policies irrelevant.

I agree with you that we won't see some sort of comeback. But wasn't it their policies from before that ended up in us having the referendum in the first place? Even if they're never going to govern, why couldn't that happen with more of their policies? Seems optimistic to call them irrelevant.

Theonik

That's per constituency.
I know. UKIP is running 378MPs in 2017. If they hit 2% of the national popular vote as predicted they will have many candidates that fail to hit the 5% to have the deposit reimbursed.

e: If those votes were equally distributed in every constituency they are running in, you are looking at something like 3.44% in every constituency.
That's not how this works though. As a whole they'd be looking at 118-378 deposits! (£59,000-189,000)

Spuck-uk

Banned
Evans on the Daily Politics saying "don't call us opportunist!"

SMH

OH hahaha

They put her against John Prescott.

This brightened my day, watching her just get carved up for her stupid, shitty, racist policies.

Prescot just demolishes her, without even having to raise his voice. God UKIP are an embarrassment.

Beefy

Conservative Party manifesto pledge to give all primary school pupils free breakfasts falls short by £340m, it has been claimed.

The party's manifesto, released last week, proposes scrapping universal infant free school meals – which cost an estimated £600m each year – in favour of free breakfasts for all primary school pupils, at an estimated cost of just £60m per year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/e...lunch-scrap-education-manifesto-a7752991.html

Some how thought 7p would be enough for each breakfast.........

Uzzy

Conservative Party manifesto pledge to give all primary school pupils free breakfasts falls short by £340m, it has been claimed.

The party’s manifesto, released last week, proposes scrapping universal infant free school meals – which cost an estimated £600m each year – in favour of free breakfasts for all primary school pupils, at an estimated cost of just £60m per year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/e...lunch-scrap-education-manifesto-a7752991.html

Some how thought 7p would be enough for each breakfast.........

Costing is only for Labour pledges, you should know this.

Spaghetti

The emigration thing has been on the rise of the last few years, but I would not be surprised if a lot of people just went "fuck it!" in 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom