• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
this is like no shit stuff. Nobody would sign up to a deal worse than not having a deal just by definition. What we want to know is that you're not shit enough that we end up in that situation to begin with.

'No deal is better than a bad deal'

Audience claps.

Well that's the new conservative slogan.

4-star-wars-quotes.gif

Jezbollah

I just want you all to fix in your mind Lyndon Crosby, at the start of this campaign, thinking "Team Theresa" was the plan to reach out to those small c conservatives in the North.

This strategy has completely and utterly failed.

She still will be PM on 9th, and with an increase majority thanks to the UKIP collapse, but this is far from the killer blow she wanted on Labour.

I'm thinking 350 is their number.

Uzzy

May was good at answering the questions from the audience, but the moment she got into a back and forth with anyone she struggled. No wonder she didn't want a debate.

The fact that she's willing to walk away from Europe onto WTO rules is the best reason to vote Lib Dem as a Tory. Going to be a rough 18 months, and then we get to see what the damage is going to be.

And yeah at this point I think she'll struggle to get beyond 350 or so.

That one Tory who stood up, on his own, at the end of that May vs Paxman thing was one of the most embarassing things I've ever seen. He's made a complete fool of himself live on national TV. Oh dear.

Empty

That's ITV. BBC is doing a debate where it doesn't have to be leader, Amber Rudd will be conservatives, Labour haven't confirmed who.

they should really send corbyn. he's the best performer of the people who aren't trying to distance themselves from him and he can get lots of mileage out of ribbing rudd for being there because may was a coward.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
they should really send corbyn. he's the best performer of the people who aren't trying to distance themselves from him and he can get lots of mileage out of ribbing rudd for being there because may was a coward.

Aren't the minor parties attending though? That's dangerous for Labour.

Jezbollah

Well, I don't think it'll be Thornberry or Abbott. lol.

spunodi

Well, I don't think it'll be Thornberry or Abbott. lol.

Oh god, please not Abbott!

Who would be good though?

McDonnell seems a little too 'dry political humour' that gives media easy soundbites for misrepresentation ('little red book').

Keir Starmer? He's been good in his post-referendum rhetoric hasn't he.

I'd really much rather have Corbyn especially as he's seemingly on fire now.

Empty

Aren't the minor parties attending though? That's dangerous for Labour.

i thought this last time. essentially that it's just an opportunity for farron/sturgeon/wood/lucas to gang up and blame corbyn for brexit and try and poach labour votes through grievance politics.

but imo it is worth it as the anti-brexit sentiment is so limited in what we've seen so far. plus as there's an actual tory on there to take a lot of flak over cuts etc

excowboy

Interesting reading up on the thread after watching. I thought Corbyn was good with the audience, particularly the small business owner whom he made the appeal to to think about society and not just himself. He started well with Paxman but got a bit bigger down with all the interruptions.

Unfortunately May had a very easy ride and passed the Turing test quite easily. She had a couple of very easy audience questions that allowed her to say what she wanted (difficult woman, 350m). Paxman went in reasonably tough but then just seemed to get bored and clearly didn't harangue her at all.

Ending with applause for 'No deal' has threatened to kill all my optimism. Interested to see the general response but I'd imagine it could turn things round a bit for May.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
i thought this last time. essentially that it's just an opportunity for farron/sturgeon/wood/lucas to gang up and blame corbyn for brexit and try and poach labour votes through grievance politics.

but imo it is worth it as the anti-brexit sentiment is so limited in what we've seen so far. plus as there's an actual tory on there to take a lot of flak over cuts etc

Honestly, I disagree. The biggest threat to Labour is a Liberal Democrat renaissance, and Farron has spent all his time attacking Labour instead of the Conservatives despite the fact more Liberal Democrat target seats are Conservative, so you can't count on them to do the rational thing. Leave them in the shadows.

Couldn't watch it because C4 website said it was 'unavailable' for some reason.

Reckon Sky News were the ones with online rights or something. Should be archived on their Youtube for now.

My hot take : Nobody will be talking about this by Wednesday.

Depends how the papers run with it, and if it leads on to any particular Op-Eds or gaffes. Of course in today's world the meme economy is a powerful thing so if social media runs wild it could have staying power. What I wouldn't give for a SuperDeluxe video.

Depending on how the campaign is feeling I wonder if they'd switch it. Unlikely they'll change, they could. Please not Abbott, please not abbott please not etc.

Can't imagine they would, unless they want half an hour of IRA rehashing and other gotcha's. And if today's performance is anything to go by May has way more to lose by going, and if she isn't neither will he.

Faddy

Banned
I thought Adam Bolton was an Arch Tory but he is being very critical of the Tories, I guess that is what happens when you freeze journalists out of the campaign and don't allow them access.

I switched to BBC news just after the debate and honestly I was furious about how they reported the debate. The only thing he said about Corbyn was he had a problem looking like a PM and said nothing about May's shocking performance and then said something like neither sides have been damaged by this. Absolutely shit reporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom