• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

What a vacuous statement.

Please don't just write a one liner decrying someone for bias.
I will write what I like if it's in the rules of Neogaf. I like how you skipped out my bit explaining why I don't write much. I also like how this was a one liner before you edited it.

Anyways back to talking about May.

Beefy

Well, the vast majority of them will. There's a reason the Conservatives haven't once put a message out there encouraging people to sign up.
Yeah, it's going to be closer then the Tories liked. But they will still win, what we hope for is they don't get majority.

I will write what I like if it's in the rules of Neogaf. I like how you skipped out my bit explaining why I don't write much. I also like how this was a one liner before you edited it.

Anyways back to talking about May.

You're just coming off as hostile now dude.

Like I said, don't write a one liner attacking someone for bias. It's shitposting.

hohoXD123

Did anyone think he was a dictator?

Well given the focus on the Labour party manifesto not being in complete agreement with Corbyn's views, yes for some reason Paxman and a lot of people out there seem to think that being party leader means being some sort of dictator who stamps out opposing views.

Beefy

You're just coming off as hostile now dude.

Like I said, don't write a one liner attacking someone for bias.
Not hostile, just saying how it is, I don't get annoyed by randoms. That's just agree to ignore each other

---------------

On another topic, damn there are so many Tory ads on YT. Now they have May with some random happy music.

Well given the focus on the Labour party manifesto not being in complete agreement with Corbyn's views, yes for some reason Paxman and a lot of people out there seem to think that being party leader means being some sort of dictator who stamps out opposing views.

which is kinda implicit in a "strong and stable" message.

wrong party tho

King_Moc

Banned

I don't think he really thinks that at all, he just saw what he thought was an easy win. It came across as a very weird thing to go after him with and made it look like he didn't have much ammo if that was one of the best questions he could think of.

People that watched that debate now get to see the gears on the spin machine move.

Watch how the media completely misrepresent what happened.

This is the issue with the Tory attack lines in this election in general - it's all been "Corbyn is useless/a member of the IRA" etc.

People have a set of good reasons to vote for Labour, whereas they only vote for the Tories if you're that English loyal unshiftable Tory voter or a Brexiteer.

Much like the Lib Dems not having the ability to project themselves loudly enough in this election has compromised them the Tories have failed to find a good attack line on Labour, and that's compromised them.

May will still be PM on the 9th - I'm becoming more convinced that the closer the polls are the more they are out. 52% of the public voted to leave, and the vast, vast majority of them will vote Tory to get their pure Brexit, unsullied by logic.

But this election has opened up nasty wounds, and I think the portents of a repeat of Major's term - a solid win followed very quickly by a disaster that they fail to recover from - are looking very solid right now.

hohoXD123

People that watched that debate now get to see the gears on the spin machine move.

Watch how the media completely misrepresent what happened.

Can see the Daily Mail headlines tomorrow:

Corbyn swears at small business owner afraid of Labour tax laws!
Corbyn refuses to cut immigration!
Relaxed May draws laughter from the audience!
Theresa May receives standing ovation after debate!

This is the issue with the Tory attack lines in this election in general - it's all been "Corbyn is useless/a member of the IRA" etc.

People have a set of good reasons to vote for Labour, whereas they only vote for the Tories if you're that English loyal unshiftable Tory voter or a Brexiteer.

Much like the Lib Dems not having the ability to project themselves loudly enough in this election has compromised them the Tories have failed to find a good attack line on Labour, and that's compromised them.

May will still be PM on the 9th - I'm becoming more convinced that the closer the polls are the more they are out. 52% of the public voted to leave, and the vast, vast majority of them will vote Tory to get their pure Brexit, unsullied by logic.

Don't think it's so much that they haven't found a good attack line. There is plenty of material they can attack Corbyn with, and they have. It's just that people seem to have become tired of these tactics. Repeating "Strong and Stable" ad nauseam made them into a laughing stock to the point where she avoided using that phrase at all in these debates (well, she did use "strong" quite a few times) and people have heard all about Corbyn's IRA links already for the last one and a half years.

Can see the Daily Mail headlines tomorrow:

Corbyn swears at small business owner afraid of Labour tax laws!
Corbyn refuses to cut immigration!
Relaxed May draws laughter from the audience!
Theresa May receives standing ovation after debate!

Actually, from the mail

Election face off: Jeremy Corbyn is PUMMELLED over IRA links, Bin Laden and the Falklands on live TV as Theresa May pledges a social care cap for pensioners after 'Dementia Tax' row

Theresa May squirmed as she was heckled by voters over funding for schools and the NHS tonight. But she moved to reassure pensioners in the wake of the 'Dementia Tax' row by reiterating that there will be an 'absolute cap' on how much they face paying for social care. She also fended off difficult questions about the reduction in the number of police officers. The rough ride as she faced the audience in a Sky News and Channel 4 election special, with just over a week to go until the nation goes to the polls. Earlier, Jeremy Corbyn was pummelled by voters over his support for the IRA during its reign of terror, refused to say whether his shadow chancellor still wants to abolish MI5, and declined to endorse his party's support for the nuclear deterrent. He also again declined to say whether he thought immigration should come down after Brexit.

bolded is the massive headline and all the rest in tiny font after a pic, because of course.

However, the readership aint taking it, best rated comments are pro-corbo. hm.

Beefy

The Daily Telegraph:

"Corbyn ducks terror challenge"

The Times:
" May woos working class with tough line on Brexit"

The wife went out with a friend earlier and he mentioned a recent story about him stepping in on a guy hitting his wife with a shoe on Wimbledon High Street and after calling the police he called a friend who works at the cctv monitoring centre to see if they could see what was happening.

Turns out they couldn't because around a THIRD of the system has been shut down due to budget cuts.

Had a look online and found this article from last year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-westminster-council-scrap-cctv-government-cuts-a7058671.html

How has this not been picked up more? Especially with the whole 'keeping our streets safe' narrative at the moment.

Orbis

Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised by the comments section. Similar thing happened during the junior doctor strikes too, DM blasting the doctors while the comments were calling out their BS.
It's surprising how often DM completely misread their audience. I often see the comments disagree heavily with their spin.

Basically the next week is a battle of the pro Tory press versus word of mouth of those who actually pay attention. I fear it will basically be deadlock and the polls will just stall.

Beefy

It's surprising how often DM completely misread their audience. I often see the comments disagree heavily with their spin.

Basically the next week is a battle of the pro Tory press versus word of mouth of those who actually pay attention. I fear it will basically be deadlock and the polls will just stall.
I like the Scottish Daily Mail front page:

"Corbyn waves white flag on union"

Hmm, isn't that what a lot of Scots want?

Uzzy

'No deal is better than a bad deal' is such an effective line. Plays right into people's euroscepticism and belief that we're better than those on the continent. We're Great Britain, we don't need any of that weak negotiating shit.

I reckon that May will break off talks after a few months, just as soon as the EU can be blamed for the breakdown of them, probably over demands for payment.

So bizarre. The Conservative press machine potentially backfiring is generally unheard of.

self-selection probably plays a role. if you the kinda person that keeps up with the DM online and also watched the debate, youre most likely already quite a bit more politically aware than the folks that just buy the rag erry other day or so. Double that if you muster the energy to write a comment.

wouldnt read too much into it, is what im saying

Audioboxer

I like the Scottish Daily Mail front page:

"Corbyn waves white flag on union"

Hmm, isn't that what a lot of Scots want?

A lot of Scots think it should go to the vote again given Brexit, but the DM is framing that in a way that aims to smear Corbyn. Just because he's diplomatic about the situation doesn't mean it's a "white flag". The guy doesn't support Scottish Independence.

If Scottish Labour wanted to attempt to court some of the SNP votes they'd do a better job of empathising with the disillusioned up here. Not try and follow the Tories and beat voters over the head for daring to challenge the Union. Other counties in our position would be 'challenging' their Union if Brexit was voted for.

Just the DM doing the DM. It's the "Corbyn is a national security threat" of Scotland. "Corbyn is Union threat". Even if Scotland careers off to be a vote about independence and Labour voters go Conservative in the North, it appears some sanity may prevail for the rUK and May will have damaged her party enough to tank some of the lead.

As someone who is in the centre, Corbyn easily won that debate. I was actually interested in his answers, which unlike Theresa, weren't just a bunch of PR sound bites cobbled together. I like how he pushed back on Paxman and called him out on some of the ridiculous questions. I also like his integrity, where he wouldn't be pushed to say that immigration would definitely lower, despite it being the populist view currently in the UK.. which makes me think that his other policies aren't maybe populist-driven after all.

I've really warmed to Corbyn during this campaign, after dismissing him previously.

Who else thought that bloke who didn't want to pay his workers £10 was a total fucking cunt?

Also may meeting pensioners who couldn't hold all their money so were happy to give it back 😅😂 yeah okay terry lol.

The guy who said he was a proud mancunian with salt of the earth parents? Felt kinda weird to me to say that and then also cry out at the prospect of Corbyn outlawing zero hours contracts.

Or the living wage...i mean I suppose we obviously don't know what his business is like but it seemed very in a bubble "I got mine" sorta thing where he didn't care about paying poor wages or some exploitave contract.

scotcheggz

The guy who said he was a proud mancunian with salt of the earth parents? Felt kinda weird to me to say that and then also cry out at the prospect of Corbyn outlawing zero hours contracts.

Or the living wage...i mean I suppose we obviously don't know what his business is like but it seemed very in a bubble "I got mine" sorta thing where he didn't care about paying poor wages or some exploitave contract.

Let's not beat around the bush, he sounded like a repulsive human to me. To go on national TV and actually show the nation your opinions are so shit is quite amazing. It was totally "I got mine" and it was a disgrace. He basically straight up said "I have a business and I couldn't give two fucks about my staff now I've made it".

Jezzas answer was worrying for a bit though, he started off almost attacking him. I don't have a problem with that, but I'm fully aware that's not cool for a politician really... Reigned it in slightly though in the end.

Let's not beat around the bush, he sounded like a repulsive human to me. To go on national TV and actually show the nation your opinions are so shit is quite amazing. It was totally "I got mine" and it was a disgrace. He basically straight up said "I have a business and I couldn't give two fucks about my staff now I've made it".

Jezzas answer was worrying for a bit though, he started off almost attacking him. I don't have a problem with that, but I'm fully aware that's not cool for a politician really... Reigned it in slightly though in the end.
Yes not a good idea to attack because there will be hundreds and thousands of people watching who share the same opinion as that bloke. And Jeremy needs to convert them not attack them. That said, it felt more like Corbyn was just being passionate with his response.

Yes not a good idea to attack because there will be hundreds and thousands of people watching who share the same opinion as that bloke. And Jeremy needs to convert them not attack them. That said, it felt more like Corbyn was just being passionate with his response.

I think he was right to challenge him on his views because who wants to see him being soft of someone like that? The guy didn't like the response but it's the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom