• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Real Hero

I switched to BBC news just after the debate and honestly I was furious about how they reported the debate. The only thing he said about Corbyn was he had a problem looking like a PM and said nothing about May's shocking performance and then said something like neither sides have been damaged by this. Absolutely shit reporting.
Yep BBC is increasingly shite

jm89

The over-excitable Tory :p

7oWYL2X.gif

Probably american with all that clapping.

sammex

Whilst it was entertaining to see May put on the spot, I think ultimately this will have little impact as the Tories steer hard into Brexit again. Stupid slogans like no deal is better than a bad deal are lapped up by the public and they'll vote for Brexit over other issues. They might not get the 200 majority that they looked on for at the start of the election cycle but they'll still get an increase in seats from what they have now.

Just trying to not get my hopes up that this will translate to the polls.

Empty

I switched to BBC news just after the debate and honestly I was furious about how they reported the debate. The only thing he said about Corbyn was he had a problem looking like a PM and said nothing about May's shocking performance and then said something like neither sides have been damaged by this. Absolutely shit reporting.

yes it's a strange world where you get much more honest, even-handed reporting from itv news and sky news than the bbc these days

i notice you barely ever hear the right complaining about the bbc being biased towards the left anymore when it was a cacophony a decade ago.

Faddy

Banned
Audience questioners getting interviews on Sky News

1. Old man who is getting his house stole by Theresa May will still vote for him

2. Salt of the Earth Labour family but now arch-Tory man getting obliterated on Sky News

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
yes it's a strange world where you get much more honest, even-handed reporting from itv news and sky news than the bbc these days

i notice you barely ever hear the right complaining about the bbc being biased towards the left anymore when it was a cacophony a decade ago.

Sky is still worse than the BBC, but the entire BBC editorial wing is composed of Conservative alumni at this point. Kuennsberg in particular is dreadful; I don't know how she ever got her role.

Orbis

I don't think this is going to affect the polls massively. Most people won't watch the debate. Press coverage will be slightly too soft on May and slightly too harsh on Corbyn.

Meadows

Banned
Hopefully this will get people with a fetish for the idea that the "MSM" are in bed with May to fucking do one.

They care about money and headlines, not Corbyn v May.

Farron has spent all his time attacking Labour instead of the Conservatives despite the fact more Liberal Democrat target seats are Conservative, so you can't count on them to do the rational thing. Leave them in the shadows.

Untrue, we have spent about an equal amount of time attacking each side. If anything we went all in attacking the Tories over the dementia tax and school cuts. The attacks on Labour are mostly that their numbers don't add up and they still want a hard Brexit.

You are right that the big threat of that debate is Corbyn having to face Farron, especially on Brexit. That only comes out as good for Farron (who is, ultimately, a better debater than Corbyn too).

The problem is that if Corbyn goes up he is going to get attacked by 6 people. So it will likely be someone boring. But it SHOULD be Corbyn.

scotcheggz

Who else thought that bloke who didn't want to pay his workers £10 was a total fucking cunt?

Also may meeting pensioners who couldn't hold all their money so were happy to give it back 😅😂 yeah okay terry lol.

2. Salt of the Earth Labour family but now arch-Tory man getting obliterated on Sky News

I had to check I hadn't misunderstood what salt of the earth meant after he immediately announced he has kids that he has to pay fees for at school, i.e. they're a pure Tory voter through and through.

Beefy

Untrue, we have spent about an equal amount of time attacking each side. If anything we went all in attacking the Tories over the dementia tax and school cuts. The attacks on Labour are mostly that their numbers don't add up and they still want a hard Brexit.

You are right that the big threat of that debate is Corbyn having to face Farron, especially on Brexit. That only comes out as good for Farron (who is, ultimately, a better debater than Corbyn too).

The problem is that if Corbyn goes up he is going to get attacked by 6 people. So it will likely be someone boring. But it SHOULD be Corbyn.
Man you are so biased it's untrue. 😂

Audioboxer

Jeremy knows it's all about the memes. If you get on the right side of them your opponents will get obliterated on social media. Bollocks crowd man did his part tonight, as did the cameraman for catching it.

Anyone getting this YouTube advert by the conservatives.
Text that says something to the effect of 'Your choice is either Theresa May or this guy' then a bunch of clips of Corbyn saying things like he's against anti terror laws, against trident, doesn't want to condemn the IRA etc etc.

Seemed quite obvious to me that a lot of it was taken out of context. Kinda reeked of desperation to me.

They do that all the time. Encapsulated by trying to get "Corbyn is a threat to national security" to stick.

Jonnax

Text that says something to the effect of 'Your choice is either Theresa May or this guy' then a bunch of clips of Corbyn saying things like he's against anti terror laws, against trident, doesn't want to condemn the IRA etc etc.

Seemed quite obvious to me that a lot of it was taken out of context. Kinda reeked of desperation to me.

Faddy

Banned
I had to check I hadn't misunderstood what salt of the earth meant after he immediately announced he has kids that he has to pay fees for at school, i.e. they're a pure Tory voter through and through.

Yeah. How dare Corbyn stop him exploiting workers on 0 hours contracts so he can send his kids to get an exclusive education.

His mum should be on the phone getting him telt to pay his fair share.

Man you are so biased it's untrue. 😂

Eh? I am agreeing with Crab but pointing out that there were Lib Dem attacks on the Tories too throughout this campaign. LD strategy has been to attack both sides - I have seen as such from being out campaigning.

And stop just leaping at someone and shouting "bias!" like you are learning about primary sources in year 7 History.

Fevaweva

Had like three today. I hope this negative campaigning bites them in the arse. Disgusting behaviour.

I have yep and it does. No hope just fear, they can do one.

empyrean

This whole no deal bullshit. Isn't the point of a good negotiator that they can get a deal done even under tough circumstances and make a deal that is agreeable by all...the fact we could come away without a deal means that's she has been shit at negotiating and failed?

This whole no deal bullshit. Isn't the point of a good negotiator that they can get a deal done even under tough circumstances and make a deal that is agreeable by all...the fact we could come away without a deal means that's she has been shit at negotiating and failed?

Yup but you've gotta remember, let her negotiate her Brexit deal and see what happens.

Moosichu

I know its not related to the debates, and not really a trending topic, but fighting for our civil liberties is still incredibly important - far beyond even Brexit imo.

John Mann:

https://www.facebook.com/mann4bassetlaw/videos/1582260571807958/

Will gladly sacrifice the freedoms we are fighting to protect, in order to possibly, maybe, and ineffectively, do something about terrorism, even though it doesn't work. Because "I have nothing to hide."

The ignorance of politicians about tech is depressing.

I would highly recommend giving this a read:

https://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2017/05/19/manifestos-and-tech/

The manifesto rather seems to have been drafted in a geek-free room. And let's not spoil the party by mentioning the impact that tight immigration targets will have on the IT industry, or for that matter on higher education. Perhaps they want us to hope that they don't really mean that part of it, but perhaps we'd better make a plan to open a campus in India or Canada, just in case.

This is my main takeaway from this. If Corbyn expects tariff free single market access without freedom of movement he's off with the birds.

What could he be up to?

Leaving the door open to stay in the EU or a Norway type deal? Off with the birds or poor understanding or just being optimistic for the sake of it?

I'm wondering if in power, he'll refer back to "I said tariff free single market is incredibly important" line, "EU won't budge so we need to opt for a EEA EFTA type deal".

Audioboxer

Missed this earlier, but yet again sums up the state of Scottish Labour.

Jeremy Corbyn has said he will "open discussions" with the Scottish government over an independence referendum if he wins the election.

But the Labour leader said he would "ask them to think very carefully about it".

And Scottish Labour's manifesto states that it will "never" support independence - with leader Kezia Dugdale giving a "cast-iron guarantee" that her party will oppose a second referendum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-40086281

I guess Corbyn is trying to be diplomatic and coy about chasing Scottish SNP voters who may be somewhat on the fence. However, Dugdale is more interested in lighting them on fire (like Davidson). You can't out do the Scottish Tories on the Unionist vote this election though, Dugdale.

Beefy

Eh? I am agreeing with Crab but pointing out that there were Lib Dem attacks on the Tories too throughout this campaign. LD strategy has been to attack both sides - I have seen as such from being out campaigning.

And stop just leaping at someone and shouting "bias!" like you are learning about primary sources in year 7 History.
Just the way you come across. Nice trying to put me down though also nice trying to put my education down as well.

For your info I don't tend to go of in paragraphs of rants as being dyslexic it would take way too long. So calling a person what I see is far easier.

I wish someone would've asked about Labour's economic plans and how the IFS say they're unfeasible (https://www.ft.com/content/3bc751dc-41ef-11e7-9d56-25f963e998b2) - would have preferred Paxman asked about that instead of the monarchy question.

Also no questions about the Snooper's charter, encryption, etc. Guess people don't care about that stuff, sadly.

IFS is pro corporate of course they don't like the labour manifesto.

They also don't approve of the conservatives policies either which should alarm you further.

Moosichu

I wish someone would've asked about Labour's economic plans and how the IFS say they're unfeasible (https://www.ft.com/content/3bc751dc-41ef-11e7-9d56-25f963e998b2) - would have preferred Paxman asked about that instead of the monarchy question.

Also no questions about the Snooper's charter, encryption, etc. Guess people don't care about that stuff, sadly.

Quoting my earlier post:

I know its not related to the debates, and not really a trending topic, but fighting for our civil liberties is still incredibly important - far beyond even Brexit imo.

John Mann:

https://www.facebook.com/mann4bassetlaw/videos/1582260571807958/

Will gladly sacrifice the freedoms we are fighting to protect, in order to possibly, maybe, and ineffectively, do something about terrorism, even though it doesn't work. Because "I have nothing to hide."

The ignorance of politicians about tech is depressing.

I would highly recommend giving this a read:

https://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2017/05/19/manifestos-and-tech/

They do care about that stuff, but they want more snoopers charter stuff - there is a lot of dog-whistle campaigning going on. MPs who vote against authoritarian legislation are framed as the enemy, doing the evil thing of voting against anti-terror legislation.

People are calling for more surveillance, so I'm glad it isn't being brought up. But yeah, the technological illiteracy and desire for Big Brother is frightening to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom