• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJV3

Have to say, one thing I never give credit to Corbyn for is how absolutely relaxed he always looks and sounds when speaking to crowds. It makes sense given how long he's been doing this, but it comes across so much better than May and Farron.

Reminds me of when he first went to the dispatch box after the attempted coup, the entire chamber against him and he didn't look to bothered about it.

Well done on Corbyn for going ahead with this debate, he gets a +1 from me (not a the ballot box mind...).

All eyes on May now. If she doesn't turn up she will get accused of cowardice, if she does turn up she will get hammered from all sides.

It's gonna be hilarious either way I think.

She turns up and it's like "Hello Jeremy", she doesn't and then everyone just spends 90 minutes shouting at Amber Rudd.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
https://twitter.com/Official_Corbyn/status/869877752282959872

@Jeremy Corbyn said:
@theresa_may I'm waiting.

pfNTgj.gif

Audioboxer

Did anyone post this earlier?

6jayqBt.png

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-40059846

I always love how people in PR/advertising tell those doing the graphics work to only put their leader in glorious full colour. You often see it in the leaflets handed out. Usually, it's black and white for the opposition, colour for the party wanting support. Then on top they often try and pick derpy facial pictures.

AngryMoth

Naive I know, but I hope there's at least a bit of unity from the majority of the other participants lambasting May.
Are the SNP under much pressure from Labour up there? If not then a pseudo alliance between them against May would be nice, I assume Tory voters in Scotland are more likely to bleed to the SNP anyway

Spuck-uk

Banned
They need to be a little careful, I think. There is a real danger that people may realise what the media are doing and simply start ignoring them.

If that was true, people would have stopped buying the sun and the mail decades ago.

I think I get the logic behind him going on, they're worried about momentum* slipping and it's a chance to bang out May on primetime for being too cowardly to come play.

*pun intended

hohoXD123

The newspapers will report whatever happens in the debate as a huge blow for Corbyn regardless. Look what hapenned after her shitshow on paxman.

https://twitter.com/Official_Corbyn/status/869877752282959872

The suns out, and so are the bants.

Yeah that's true, the laughter from the audience directed AT her, an audience member pointing out her bollocks statement on the NHS and being called a coward by Paxman wasn't enough to stop the Tory spin. I guess this is reliant on how much the rest of the public can think for themselves.

Haha, he always brings the banter
5kfz7kn.gif

Lol woops, fake account

I knew this would happen. Feckin' called it.

If May no-shows it's very good for Corbyn. This election has been a pantomime, so this sort of bravado politics is interesting.

I'll carry on my life in Libdemtopia with a point about this being Farron's best - and possibly only - shot of making an impact now. Same as the other minor parties.

PJV3

If May no-shows it's very good for Corbyn. This election has been a pantomime, so this sort of bravado politics is interesting.

I'll carry on my life in Libdemtopia with a point about this being Farron's best - and possibly only - shot of making an impact now.

It's going to get more attention for everyone, so it's good news.

hohoXD123

I'll carry on my life in Libdemtopia with a point about this being Farron's best - and possibly only - shot of making an impact now.

Here's hoping he doesn't keep condemning Corbyn for his speech after the Manchester bombing

Spuck-uk

Banned

Be interesting to see who, if anyone Farron goes in on, probably whoever looks more vulnerable.

Fuck me, imagine being Rudd having to get up on that stage, doubt she was chomping at the bit to volunteer.

I'm loving the WWE-ification of this political cycle.

Meadows

Banned

I'm a member of the LDs too. This isn't going to change anything, Tim isn't a good speaker and everyone is just going to absolutely rail against Rudd. He will be largely forgotten and the LDs will end up on 8%.

Fucks sake.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Strategically, the best thing the Liberal Democrats can do is mutual non-aggression with Labour. Not an alliance, or anything, but the Liberal Democrats have by far more Conservative target seats and benefit more from a hung parliament than a Conservative majority. If Farron and Corbyn can double-up on Rudd, we might actually get somewhere.

It's going to get more attention for everyone, so it's good news.

100% agreed. This actually makes this election look far less shambolic.

And yeah Crab, I'd expect Farron's time to be mostly anti-Tory, but also anti-Brexit. Corbyn will catch flak for wanting to withdraw from the Single Market and not being a good opposition leader, but really this is just the sort of panto politics that is needed to wake voters up.

Audioboxer

Are the SNP under much pressure from Labour up there? If not then a pseudo alliance between them against May would be nice, I assume Tory voters in Scotland are more likely to bleed to the SNP anyway

Labour in Scotland keep maximum hostility up with the SNP as they're so worried about optics around working with a pro-independence party. Look at what the Conservatives did to Ed Milliband with SNP propaganda.

Basically, the SNP are "toxic by association" for any party as the Tories will go for the jugular at the notion of any alliance with a party that challenges the UK union. Dugdale is a poor imitation of Davidson on that front. She may have some more morals intact, but she often tries to outdo Davidson which is impossible. The Unionist vote in Scotland is going Conservative. The only direction people are flowing is from Labour to Conservative.

However, in saying that, I still believe some who voted NO in 2014 who were possibly Labour voters then voted SNP in 2015 based on policy (resulting in the Labour red wedding in Scotland). Those people may be likely to switch back to Labour now as they prioritise the Union over a threat of Scottish Independence. By in large though the swings in Scotland will be towards the Tories. I'd guess there will even be some in Scotland who've gone Labour > SNP and will now go Conservative. So in the span of a few years, three different parties.

Uzzy

Be interesting to see who, if anyone Farron goes in on, probably whoever looks more vulnerable.

Fuck me, imagine being Rudd having to get up on that stage, doubt she was chomping at the bit to volunteer.

I'm loving the WWE-ification of this political cycle.

'Wait, wait.. who's music is that? Bah gawd, bah gawd, it's Corbyn! It's Corbyn with a steel chair!'

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Labour in Scotland keep maximum hostility up with the SNP as they're so worried about optics around working with a pro-independence party. Look at what the Conservatives did to Ed Milliband with SNP propaganda.

Basically, the SNP are "toxic by association" for any party as the Tories will go for the jugular at the notion of any alliance with a party that challenges the UK union. Dugdale is a poor imitation of Davidson on that front. She may have some more morals intact, but she often tries to outdo Davidson which is impossible. The Unionist vote in Scotland is going Conservative. The only direction people are flowing is from Labour to Conservative.

However, in saying that, I still believe some who voted NO in 2014 who were possibly Labour voters voted SNP in 2015 based on policy. Those people may be likely to switch back to Labour now as they prioritise the Union over a threat of Scottish Independence. By in large though the swings in Scotland will be towards the Tories.

SNP: 43% (-9)
CON: 25% (+10)
LAB: 25% (+1)
LDEM: 5% (-2)

Is Ipsos' latest figures, but the surface there's big turmoil. Surprising amount of SNP -> Con movement, which I find baffling. Labour is picking up SNP voters at roughly the same rate it's losing Conservative voters. Lib Dems are losing voters to Labour.

hodgy100

100% agreed. This actually makes this election look far less shambolic.

And yeah Crab, I'd expect Farron's time to be mostly anti-Tory, but also anti-Brexit. Corbyn will catch flak for wanting to withdraw from the Single Market and not being a good opposition leader, but really this is just the sort of panto politics that is needed to wake voters up.

Amusingly that might play into labour's hand as they want to also be seen as being good for people that voted for brexit.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Amusingly that might play into labour's hand as they want to also be seen as being good for people that voted for brexit.

Yeah, I really don't mind Corbyn being attacked over Brexit too much. Labour's policy line is closest to majority sentiment and they suffer from an imaging problem because they're perceived as wanting to cancel Brexit. Like Paxman attacking Corbyn over stuff that didn't get into the manifesto, that's a nice thing to be attacked on.

Actually I disagree - I think too many people think Labour are the pro-EU choice, when they're not dissimilar in what they claim they want when compared to the Tories.

Alternatively, too few people give a monkey about Brexit for it to transform the debate at a GE (which I think has been the major issue of the LD campaign)

PJV3

I thought it was a bad libdem strategy to keep the Brexit argument going, they should have just been strongly pro EU and future membership. It would have killed off the Brexit bunker mentality and will of the people bollocks.

I wonder what the Conservative War Council are thinking.

My first thought is that May needs to come over the top and turn up herself. But! That would make it very obvious that she was only turning up because Corbyn made her. That looks hella weak and puts her on the back foot.

Inspired move by Corbyn here really.

Audioboxer

SNP: 43% (-9)
CON: 25% (+10)
LAB: 25% (+1)
LDEM: 5% (-2)

Is Ipsos' latest figures, but the surface there's big turmoil. Surprising amount of SNP -> Con movement, which I find baffling. Labour is picking up SNP voters at roughly the same rate it's losing Conservative voters. Lib Dems are losing voters to Labour.

Even although I framed it as Labour, I guess you can say the same for 2014~2015 for some Tories as well. Once NO was voted for, it swung back to voting on morals/policy and Sturgeon was saying a lot of right things in 2015.

Now that it has completely been framed as Scottish Independence vote 2.0, it's going to result in people ultimately deciding they'd rather prioritise voting for a party that might be against their interests if it is perceived to combat indyref2.

This isn't the time to vote for that, but people will be people and fear and propaganda prevail. The time to vote against indyref2 is in the actual vote for it. It passed through in the Scottish parliament so no amount of nonsense about it being outright blocked is true. Not in the way the Tories have carefully used words like "block". Labour too, but that is as I said, Dugdale, trying to keep up with Davidson to cling onto the Unionist vote.

There might be some voting for the SNP who voted LEAVE as well (so now swinging to Tory), although I do not think there will be much crossover there. I'd be willing to stake my life on the majority of leave voters in Scotland being split between the Conservatives and Labour.

I worked a part time job in university and it worked out fine, while not jettisoning my employment rights. You know flexible rotas were/are a 'thing' long before 0 hours 'no work for you' right?

Yup. I was doing thirty hours a week (and some weeks more) when in university. I knew my hours at the start of each week and had no problem making it work and getting through university.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fbUqcc2bGs

This is what Austerity has given us. My missus works with this lady, it's hard to describe just how angry this shit makes me.

This is why I'll never vote Conservative. Even though it would be personally beneficial to me as a higher tax rate payer.

I don't yet hate my fellow man enough to be content to see them suffering for no good reason.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
"The British people have a very clear choice... Between a strong and stable government or a coalition of chaos."

Etc etc. Etc.

Exactly, Tory's will love this because all they have to do is wait for an argument to break out, clip it and post it online labelled as 'THE COALITION OF CHAOS: THE ONLY ALTERNATIVE TO CONSERVATIVE GOVERNMENT'

Howling Laud Hope is being interviewed on the Daily Politics today.

The Official Monster Raving Loony Party are, indeed, the greatest force in British politics. It took such juggernauts to end the career of David Owen.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
We need to do an exchange programme with WrassleGAF to gather appropriate .gifs for the night.

gun_haver

Scotland's disappointing me greatly with this turn towards the fucking Tories. Don't care what the reasons are - I can understand wanting to stay in the union, but it makes you wonder what the independence referendum was all about. Well anyway, it's still a small minority who are changing.

Also, very funny/entertaining move for Corbyn to announce he will attend the debate on the day of. If he says the right things he can possibly solidify Theresa May's growing reputation as afraid of unrehearsed debate, and therefore as nothing like the strong negotiator she claims to be. Or it could go very badly! I will watch some if I can.

jelly

Oh god, they are playing the uncontrolled migration card again. What a joke, you mean the migration you never bothered controlling...

Theonik

My first thought is that May needs to come over the top and turn up herself. But! That would make it very obvious that she was only turning up because Corbyn made her. That looks hella weak and puts her on the back foot.

Inspired move by Corbyn here really.
Having said that though. Reason she avoided those things in the first place is that she doesn't feel up to them and desperately wants to avoid messing up.

The latest polls and Corbyn's latest stunt though might force her to come on where she will probably be attacked relentlessly. But I don't think she will.
This is of course a lose-lose scenario for May who can't keep her 'Strong Leadership' facade up.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Kuennsberg stating on Twitter May is still refusing to attend.

Daffy Duck

Well done on Corbyn for going ahead with this debate, he gets a +1 from me (not a the ballot box mind...).

All eyes on May now. If she doesn't turn up she will get accused of cowardice, if she does turn up she will get hammered from all sides.

Bravo for Corbyn turning up, but the press will praise May as being strong and stable in her decision not to go, probably more important things to do like laugh at fisherman or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom