• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim Farron prepares for major TV debate.

DBJ7V-jWsAAranj.jpg

I wasn't gonna bother watching tonight's debate but now that Corbyn is coming I'll do it.

Corbyn is like Tom Kirkman from designated survivor, no one likes him and everyone thought he was incompetent. But he is learning in the job and appearing very strong with each passing day.
Lol let's hope he just gets voted into power instead of through a line of succession.

Audioboxer

I'm a strong EU supporter. Don't mistake my post about what people think for my own opinions.

The fact is being in the EU does mean giving up some control over some aspects of government. I am *absolutely* in favour of that - it's part and parcel of being in a club with obligations and requirements. For some people, particularly nationalists, it's not surprising that some of them don't like that aspect.

Ah okay, I get you now. My challenge then if anything is what is often perceived to be an attempt to sweep all nationalism in Scotland under a rug with UKIP. Not just the idiots you can find on Facebook who say stupid shit, seriously, about Braveheart and fuck the UK. I know until the day I die some will just say "nationalism = bad", so be it. It's possibly your optics/misunderstanding of what is happening for many voters in Scotland then, to completely miss the point of why many people feel "pushed" to wanting to escape a Union they perceive as detrimental to the well-being of the country. Ultimately, no matter how much devolution is chased, remaining part of this union cannot avoid major changes like Brexit, and some powers are going to stay centralised to a base in London that now has years of evidence of fucking things up. Especially many of the years under Tory reign, but Labour of the past completely fucked the UK too.

As I posted from the manifesto above, it's well-known the SNP, specifically Sturgeon, tried to negotiate with May and the Conservatives to protect Scotland in leaving the EU (so-called "soft Brexit"). Diplomacy failed there, as in attempts were rejected. As often is the case, people by choice refuse to observe more often than not the SNP try incredibly hard to achieve political goals without just screaming "freedom!". There comes a point where no matter how hard you try to influence and progress a Union, if it wants to go ways you do not, and you get massively outvoted, you're getting ushered along regardless.

In other words, I get how independence is a sticking point for many, but Jesus Christ take a good look at the progressive, forward-thinking options we have in the UK and ask yourself is it really all that surprising people in Scotland vote for the SNP and it doesn't always have to be about "lol Mel Gibsons up in the North rattling their sabres at us!". Read the manifesto properly, a lot of good, care and forward-thinking is in it. As is always the case. Yes, they're a party that makes mistakes, and yes, they are a party that supports Independence, but again, it's god damn slim-pickings as voters of the UK to find a party that isn't brimming with steaming shit. Labour, as things stand, are the best they've been in a while on forward-thinking, largely thanks to some of what Corbyn is good at, but again it's nearly a hopeless task getting the Union as a whole to do something different than the status fucking quo. I mean, okay, Brexit was something hugely different than the status quo, but it's such a terrible decision to make to roll out the carpet of "doing things differently". I guess you could say it illustrates Scottish views on independence to be forward thinking, inclusive and progressive versus Brexit views on independence which are far more filled with what some of you might refer to as "problematic nationalism" and things like hate, xenophobia, exclusive attitudes and so on.

Nigel Farage ✔ @Nigel_Farage
Corbyn doing the right thing by joining TV leaders’ debate tonight. Yet more questions for Mrs May. Strong and stable seems a long time ago.
1:53 PM - 31 May 2017

Even Farage is piling in.

liquidtmd

Banned

PJV3

Upsetting an arms dealer and a racist is in very good taste imo, but alas the BBC disagreed

Hell of a night out when she finally popped it though, although my hangover the next morning made me want to join her

I was conflicted to be honest, her family is a bag of shite, including her failed African coup son. But the principle of trying not to upset families I can agree with.

hohoXD123

May is now taking questions from the media.

Q: [From Sky’s Faisal Islam] If you are so strong, and Jeremy Corbyn is so weak, why won’t you debate him tonight?

May laughs. She says Corbyn seems keen to be on TV a lot. She says she is more worried about preparing for the Brexit talks.

Q: Don’t you think public scrutiny is important?

May says she thinks it is. That is why she is taking questions from voters during the campaign.

She says she feels sorry for ITV. Corbyn snubbed their debate.

She says debates where politicians are squabbling amongst themselves do not do anything for voters.

Q: The YouGov model suggest you will lose seats. Will you resign if that happens?

May says there is only one poll that matters, the vote on 8 June.

Q: Isn’t the truth about why you are missing the debate is that you think people will not like you?

No, says May.

She says she has set out what an election campaign should be about. It should be about going out and meeting voters.

Q: This morning you were in a seat the Conservatives are defending, and you are in one now. Have you given up trying to gain seats?

May says yesterday she was in seats the Tories hope to win. You have to visit both, she says.

CCS

Banned
I was down in Hastings the other day. Amber Rudd doesn't have a huge majority, and the risk of sending her up is if she bombs and Labour do well nationally on June 8th I could see her losing her seat :D

blazeuk

Just found out about Corbyn going to the debate.

He's either drunk on his bounce or has bollocks the size of planets.

Corbyn has played it perfectly, there was no way May was going to join the debate, she's clearly not great at them anyway but it would have been a disaster for her going into it last minute unprepared without having time to remember the lines given to her - either way this makes her look bad though. Corbyn just needs to have a good night otherwise people will quickly forget May didn't turn up and focus on him instead.

I hope someone can question Corbyn on this tariff free access to the single market while him also acknowledging freedom of movement will end and we're leaving the EU.

At face value you could see both Labour and Cons pretty similar yet there's this extremely fanciful bit in there.

Is it just him not understanding the real situation that this isn't possible, stating it for the lulz, or is it that important to his beliefs and that he'll steer the UK to a EEA EFTA type situation and leave the EU in name. He does stress the tariff free access is incredibly important so I just wonder is he leaving the door open while sounding like the party will go through with Brexit or will he let single market access go.

How many cornflakes can you get for 6.8 pence?

First google result gives a kilo of cornflakes from Iceland for £2.

I've got one of those cereal variety packs in my desk (don't ask), and the cornflakes packet contains 17g.

So my kilo box apparently contains 58.8 servings.

Which works out at 3.4 pence per bowl.

So I guess two bowls?

I'm ready for the Tory spokesperson role guys! Put me in!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

I've got one of those cereal variety packs in my desk (don't ask), and the cornflakes packet contains 17g.

So I guess two bowls?

...Quiche, I know we have differences on lots of things, but if you're telling you eat cereals without milk, you understand that we'll have to part ways.

Mr. Sam

So I guess two bowls?

I'm ready for the Tory spokesperson role guys! Put me in!

Those variety boxes are too small even for children. How have you not starved?

...Quiche, I know we have differences on lots of things, but if you're telling you eat cereals without milk, you understand that we'll have to part ways.

It's perfectly acceptable to eat honey nut cheerios as a finger food sans milk.

Admittedly cornflakes might be a bit dry on their own :p

Edit:

Those variety boxes are too small even for children. How have you not starved?

Hey take it up with Kelloggs. They apparently think that's an acceptable portion.

Mrs Quiche has recently started making homemade granola. Absolute gamechanger imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom