• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

amanset

Just crazy we have everything between a CON +4 from YouGOV to a CON +12 from ICM.

I'm amazed that after so many time polls being wrong that anyone apart from the rolling news, who depend on them to fill up time, are paying any attention to them.

Rktk

Have a voting question GAF. I registered to vote by post since I was moving country.

- I am now living in South America
- The postal vote forms took longer than expected to arrive at my UK address
- They have now been posted to me
- The form will arrive here before the 8th but I have doubts it will make it back in time
- Who do I contact about this? The embassy here? Maybe I can have them submit the form on my behalf electronically / fax or something...

I fear shy Tories are going to outweigh shy Corbies.

Good to hear about the debate but I'm sure it'll be spun as him having a useless Shadow cabinet to pick from

BadHand

Have a voting question GAF. I registered to vote by post since I was moving country.

- I am now living in South America
- The postal vote forms took longer than expected to arrive at my UK address
- They have now been posted to me
- The form will arrive here before the 8th but I have doubts it will make it back in time
- Who do I contact about this? The embassy here? Maybe I can have them submit the form on my behalf electronically / fax or something...

This happens every election unfortunately. I've since registered my Dad a proxy and he goes to the polls on my behalf, which is a much more reliable option if you have it.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I couldn't even get to the halfway point of that video because it was too much, how can we keep failing so many of our most vulnerable citizens?

Every vote for austerity, every moment a politician talked about the 'national credit card', contributed to this.

Now go vote the -redacted- out.

BadHand

Unfortunately I do not, it would have been better!

Yeh, it's really shit. Where I live in Canada there is lots of ex-pats who complain about this every time. Outside of the EU, postal times can be anywhere from 5-30 days and seemingly at random which isn't taken into account.

Anyway, this is my last UK election because you lose the right to vote after a 15 year absence.

Yeh, it's really shit. Where I live in Canada there is lots of ex-pats who complain about this every time. Outside of the EU, postal times can be anywhere from 5-30 days and seemingly at random which isn't taken into account.

Anyway, this is my last UK election because you lose the right to vote after a 15 year absence.

At least you are fortunate enough to live in a better country now :D

Beefy

I'm honestly starting to wonder if May is cracking under the strain. She just seems... off:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/869908350019829760
She seems scared as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fbUqcc2bGs

This is what Austerity has given us. My missus works with this lady, it's hard to describe just how angry this shit makes me.
Disgusting, that poor lady.

I have mental health issues so atm I am out of work. On many occasions I have had my benefits stopped for not getting enough points in my medical and then getting it back when I appeal.

Also the fact I can only see a therapist 8- 10 weeks a year doesn't help. As I said before, I would be dead by now if it wasn't for my parents. The Government treats people like me like shit.

Hazzuh

The FT backs the Tories:
Election 2017: The safer bet of a Conservative vote

Choosing Theresa May does not mean a blank cheque on Brexit

When Theresa May called a snap general election, many assumed the prime minister and her ruling Conservative party would romp home. Armed with a decisive mandate, Mrs May would be in the strongest possible position to open Brexit negotiations, the biggest national challenge since 1945.

With one week to go before polling day, the 2017 campaign has not gone to script. The polls have tightened. Far from being strong and stable, Mrs May has looked curiously brittle. She has failed to offer a credible picture of what life outside the EU's single market and customs union will look like, let alone the economic trade-offs that will inevitably form part of the Brexit end-game. The opposition Labour party under Jeremy Corbyn's leadership has been equally vague. Both sides have engaged in a conspiracy of silence.

This is deeply unsatisfactory. Britain's departure from the EU is happening at a time of great geopolitical uncertainty. The western alliance is eroding due to US President Donald Trump's erratic foreign policy, combined with a legacy of European fecklessness. Paradoxically, Brexit and Mr Trump may be propelling greater unity within the EU, especially after Emmanuel Macron's win in the French presidential election. A more solid European front built on a renewed Franco-German alliance is not necessarily good news for the UK.

In these circumstances, it is a sad indictment on the state of Britain that neither of the main party leaders is particularly impressive. The Financial Times has no fixed party allegiances. This publication stands for a liberal agenda: a small state, free trade, free markets and social justice. Neither Mrs May nor Mr Corbyn stands four-square behind these principles. Neither has offered tax and spending plans that are credible, given the short-term risks facing the economy.

Mrs May recognises the inequalities that need addressing in Britain and the divisions that need healing. But the Conservative manifesto is an amalgam of the sublime (”the great meritocracy") and the ill-judged or badly presented (plans for social care reform). Proposed interventions on energy and telecommunications markets and worker representatives on boards mirror the market meddling of Ed Miliband, the former Labour leader. The manifesto is overloaded with legislative commitments that cannot possibly be fulfilled in the next parliament, given the preponderance of Brexit.

Most concerning is the renewed Tory commitment to reduce net migration to the ”tens of thousands". If fulfilled, this would damage the UK's flexible labour market and harm economic growth. It is hard to reconcile the pledge with Mrs May's promise of an outward-facing ”Global Britain". The pitch was intended to appeal to stray UK Independence party voters but it is best described as ”open for business, closed for foreigners".

Yet the alternative to Mrs May is worse. Mr Corbyn is a fringe figure who has spent his entire political career in opposition — to his own Labour leadership. Despite his recent media makeover, he is a pacifist relic of the 1970s, in hock to the trade unions, with no grip on economic issues. It is no accident that the arrival of Mr Corbyn and his hard-left supporters in mainstream politics has coincided with a revival of anti-Semitism and misogyny. Labour's team is unfit for government, let alone the delicate Brexit talks. The Liberal Democrats have failed to make an impact with their pledge of a second EU referendum. All the evidence points to the end of European-style coalition and the return of two-party politics, with the exception of Scotland where the independence movement remains slightly diminished but a potent force.

Faced with such uncertainty at home and abroad, Mrs May is the safer bet. But accepting her as prime minister does not amount to a blank cheque. A substantially increased Conservative majority, even a landslide, could lead to an increase in the number of hardline Eurosceptics, who advocate a crash exit from the EU, a contemporary version of the Charge of the Light Brigade.

If Mrs May is returned, her management style must change. Her inner circle should be widened beyond the current Praetorian guard. The next few years will require the best and brightest and, yes, experts. Mrs May's gamble on a snap election may pay off. Her resolve on Brexit is not in doubt; but her ability to deliver the best deal for Britain in terms of the closest possible relationship with the EU is worryingly unclear.

WhatNXt

FT backing Tories.. quelle suprise!

I'm afraid I don't believe this at all:

The Financial Times has no fixed party allegiances. This publication stands for a liberal agenda: a small state, free trade, free markets and social justice.

They care about the first three first and foremost.

This line is barrel scraping bullshit :

It is no accident that the arrival of Mr Corbyn and his hard-left supporters in mainstream politics has coincided with a revival of anti-Semitism and misogyny.

Anti-semitism and misogyny never went away, and is home to many more places than the left. Pretty much how racism hasn't gone away either.

Making any party guilty by association with criminal / morally repugnant people who aren't lobbying for said party nor in their employ is nonsense. If you want to make the argument success would embolden them, try it, but even that would be a flimsy argument. Stretching for something negative to say. Sad.

The establishment are terrified. I just wish they had more reason to be.

Dazzler

That line about the rise of Corbyn coinciding with a revival in anti-semitism and misogyny is outrageous, especially from a paper like the FT

It frankly sounds like they want to back the Lib Dems but don't see the point in backing a party that might not get double digit seats.

That's exactly how I'm reading it - "she's going to win, and she's better than Corbyn, but don't give her a blank check" is the Lib Dem line. There's no point backing the LDs to win the election, as they're not going to win it.

Morat

Banned
That line about the rise of Corbyn coinciding with a revival in anti-semitism and misogyny is outrageous, especially from a paper like the FT

Not surprising, honestly. That kind of media will do absolutely anything to maintain what they perceive as the status quo.

How the fuck can FT come out with that bullshit connection and probably get away with it?

Because yeah it's the progressive left calling for treating people with respect and not the hate mongering, lying, execution calling right causing the problems.

Meadows

Banned
FT almost mirroring my views, apart from the small government bit, which I kind of don't like.

I don't think a lot of people who are in the Labour bubble realize how far to the left they have swung.

DavidDesu

May literally looking like the Johnny Cab from Total Recall as she nods along while Keunsberg asked her a question.

Again saying nothing of value, same old "we need a strong negotiating hand" bullshit. She's fucking awful. Country should be ashamed if it elects this shambles.

It frankly sounds like they want to back the Lib Dems but don't see the point in backing a party that might not get double digit seats. "Voting Tory doesn't mean giving Theresa May a blank cheque, except it does. She must improve. We endorse not giving her an incentive to do so."

Quite, presuming she retains the majority. 'Will of the people', only even more egregiously deployed.

That woman is hopeless, but unfortunately a sign that the Tory campaign works.

This is the discourse that matters, really. Not the 'actually a higher level of taxation actually reduces state earnings' etc, and things like that. It comes down to 'security', 'strong and stable', 'coalition of chaos', 'will of the people', etc. Read on the Guardian that UK average (by town I think) of 'good education' is 39% of the populace. Not saying badly educated etc shouldn't have a vote, but that it's clearly where there's a LOT of votes to be got. Totally anecdotal, but I've seen enough Facebook profiles of self-confessed Tory voters littered with trite memes (just the worst, darling, oh those proles), total fabrications masquerading as shocking news, and generally abysmal literacy recently to believe it (and some diabolically moronic Labour ones too, naturally).

Okay, I've been out of the loop for a while, how do the polls look? What are the chances we get another Tory majority? And what happens if they don't and there's no one willing to form a coalition?

twofoldd

FT almost mirroring my views, apart from the small government bit, which I kind of don't like.

I don't think a lot of people who are in the Labour bubble realize how far to the left they have swung.

Same.

'In these circumstances, it is a sad indictment on the state of Britain that neither of the main party leaders is particularly impressive' sums up the state of this sad, sad election and the choices on offer.

I won't vote for the conservatives, though - so do I vote tactically and vote for Labour, despite having little faith on them delivering anything useful, or throw my vote away on the Lib Dems who will be lucky to get 2% of the vote in my constituency. Hmm.

Mr. Sam

How the fuck can FT come out with that bullshit connection and probably get away with it?

Because yeah it's the progressive left calling for treating people with respect and not the hate mongering, lying, execution calling right causing the problems.

It's not exclusive to the left - as the FT seems to gently imply - but there are certainly a number of whackadoo misognyist, anti-Semitic, conspiracy-indulging people *on* the left. Whether you think they're outliers or whether you think one of them's going to be representing the Labour Party at the debate tonight, your mileage may vary.

Tregard

Soothsayer
BBC News referring to Corbyn's inclusion in the debate tonight as "a last minute change", I was under the impression Labour just hadn't confirmed their representative yet? Did Jeremy formerly rule himseld out?

jelly

May literally looking like the Johnny Cab from Total Recall as she nods along while Keunsberg asked her a question.

Again saying nothing of value, same old "we need a strong negotiating hand" bullshit. She's fucking awful. Country should be ashamed if it elects this shambles.

The thing I don't get, she already had a strong negotiating hand before calling this election, tories had a big majority.

hohoXD123

BBC News referring to Corbyn's inclusion in the debate tonight as "a last minute change", I was under the impression Labour just hadn't confirmed their representative yet? Did Jeremy formerly rule himseld out?

Well he initially said that he would appear in the debates if May was going to appear too. So it is a change in that respect, though I'm not sure how even the right-wing press would be able to spin that without coming off as slightly petty.

Theonik

Same.

'In these circumstances, it is a sad indictment on the state of Britain that neither of the main party leaders is particularly impressive' sums up the state of this sad, sad election and the choices on offer.

I won't vote for the conservatives, though - so do I vote tactically and vote for Labour, despite having little faith on them delivering anything useful, or throw my vote away on the Lib Dems who will be lucky to get 2% of the vote in my constituency. Hmm.
You vote for the side that gives you the higher chance of getting a better outcome. It's sad but under FPTP, there are real risks to voting for your first party preference, and yes this is a self-perpetuating problem.

f0rk

The thing I don't get, she already had a strong negotiating hand before calling this election, tories had a big majority.
No they didn't. A majority is 326+, they had 330. So everyone has to be on board for them to pass anything, and a few backbenchers can cause a lot of problems.

jem0208

Besides the anti-semitic/misogyny line I don't disagree with all that much of the FT article. I'd rather see Labour/Corbyn take it but I think that's more due to my general distaste for the Tories and May than enthusiasm for Labour.

I'm voting Lib Dems anyway because there's no chance that Labour will win in my constituency. It's just a shame that the surge never really materialised.

jelly

No they didn't. A majority is 326+, they had 330. So everyone has to be on board for them to pass anything, and a few backbenchers can cause a lot of problems.

Okay, that's pretty good though. Where they really expecting to better that in this election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom