• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodgy100

tesco value cornflakes are like 39p for a 500g box

Still It would be a sad breakfast and defeat one of the points in schools doing meals (healthy meals for free)

Mr. Sam

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Just found out about Corbyn going to the debate.

He's either drunk on his bounce or has bollocks the size of planets.
As long as he does competently, he's going to literally put May to the sword.

He's got nothing to lose here. The media written him off long ago and May keeps on fucking up of her own accord.

All he needs to do is say this:

If May is too scared to face debate in front of her electorate, imagine her fear of the EU team facing her in the Brexit talks. We have seen her crumble at the first sign of dissent, abandoning her Chancellor over NI and the Tory manifesto over social care. Strong and stable? Not on your life.

Totally skewer her. I don't agree with a fair bit of Corbyns' personal views but the manifesto actually shown he left a few of those at the door while the addition of Grammar Schools and Fox Hunting was all May.

The choice is becoming stark. A vain, difficult and flappable leader who is almost assured to get short shrift at the Brexit talks or someone who is really getting better at actual leadership. Do you want someone on the up, or down?

This is by far the savviest thing that Corbyn has done in this election campaign. Well played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fbUqcc2bGs

This is what Austerity has given us. My missus works with this lady, it's hard to describe just how angry this shit makes me.

I actually welled up at that. The absolute indignity of her situation and daily life was horrifying. Why aren't the likes of BBC and Sky doing more to cover aspects of the manifestos & policies such those which affect people with disabilities?

Would love a Curb edit of that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

Aside from the obvious partisan bias of the rags, British media in general seems to have a bias of dogpiling and kicking people when they're down. Now that it's obvious how May is crumbling, maybe finally some of the media will go tough on her

Spaghetti

As long as he does competently, he's going to literally put May to the sword.

He's got nothing to lose here. The media written him off long ago and May keeps on fucking up of her own accord.
I mean... Cameron dodged debates and came out okay, but I suppose this is a very different election to the one in 2015. Cameron could get away with aloofness, but May's image is cracked and in pieces already.

The question is if Corbyn will do okay. I want to say he will because he's no stranger to debates, basically the most battle-hardened politician on the stage, and all the "gotcha!" questions and attacks have already been done; but he definitely has missed open goals before, so...

Spuck-uk

Banned
This is by far the savviest thing that Corbyn has done in this election campaign. Well played.

I actually welled up at that. The absolute indignity of her situation and daily life was horrifying. Why aren't the likes of BBC and Sky doing more to cover aspects of the manifestos & policies such those which affect people with disabilities?

Because their Tory supporting bosses would far rather make poverty tourism 'benefit cheats' shows that demonise the poor.

I'd put this on every advert break if I was running against the Conservatives, except for the fact the nation would be too depressed to even vote.

The Standard's editorial is a withering attack on the Lib Dem national campaign - three points that are, as unfortunate as it is, perfectly valid ones.

It presents three broad points:

1. The damaging effect of Tim Farron's personal religion.
2. The absence of Brexit as a national topic of debate
3. The continuing lack of a message that can unite centrists and moderates (see: 2)

You can enjoy the article here:
http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/c...mocrats-offer-no-serious-vision-a3553346.html

It's a crying shame - this is only the first shot by the press on talking the LDs down now, with perfectly good reason. Unless we endure and perform above expectations at the polls, in the individual seats, the noble thing - by a guy I would otherwise be perfectly happy to remain leader - would be to step aside and let someone else have a go.

Fortunately, "above expectations" is greater than 12 seats, which is entirely do-able. So don't write Farron off yet. :)

Meadows

Banned
New polls!

CON: 43% (+1)
LAB: 33% (-1)
LDEM: 11% (+2)
UKIP: 4% (-)
GRN: 3% (-1)

(via @TNS_UK / 25 - 30 May)

% who trust CON / LAB on...

NHS: 21 / 34
Economy: 33 / 23
Brexit: 36 / 16
Security: 34 / 16
Immigration: 25 / 19

(via @TNS_UK)

Meadows

Banned
Can I point out how hilarious it is seeing Labour supporters on Twitter accusing pollsters of bias when things aren't going their way and then going insane when they get positive numbers.

9 more days

New polls!

CON: 43% (+1)
LAB: 33% (-1)
LDEM: 11% (+2)
UKIP: 4% (-)
GRN: 3% (-1)

ABOVE 10%?!
http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2FBeaker.gif

Fuck, I should be MORE negative on here. It apparently summons a cheery poll.

Can I point out how hilarious it is seeing Labour supporters on Twitter accusing pollsters of bias when things aren't going their way and then going insane when they get positive numbers.

9 more days

you can, but i'd rather you didn't. There'll never be a shortage of fools contradicting themselves, especially on twitter.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Just crazy we have everything between a CON +4 from YouGOV to a CON +12 from ICM.

I think the number's going to end up being at about the 10% mark, Crab - but for the sake of the country I do hope your lot hold off as many Tories as possible.

What is very interesting about that Yougov map is that it has OXWAB (Oxford West and Abington) down as a possible gain.

That IS a Lib Dem target seat. But I thought it was a no-hoper.

Sorry for saying this (as it's biased as hell) but I think if Yougov is overstating Lab support but has Con support on the money, there's some interesting possibilities here.

Theonik

Yougov predictions are out and unpredictably wrong, speaking from talking to a campaign manager and then comparing it to the result it's predicting for a certain seat. :)

https://yougov.co.uk/uk-general-election-2017/

What is very interesting about that Yougov map is that it has OXWAB (Oxford West and Abington) down as a possible gain.

That IS a Lib Dem target seat. But I thought it was a no-hoper.

Sorry for saying this (as it's biased as hell) but I think if Yougov is overstating Lab support but has Con support on the money, there's some interesting possibilities here.
Life comes at you fast.

WhatNXt

Those Brexit, Immigration and Security trust figures have me a little worried.

I have no faith in England to vote on matters that actually materially affect their day to day lives.

People are going to vote on these abstract matters that are largely out of not only our control, but out of the control of our politicians to some degree as well. They'll vote on gut feelings of trust and mistrust instead of what would actually be good for their lives and good for their kids. Some are going to vote with xenophobic prejudice still raging at the back of their minds. I hope I'm wrong. Otherwise, I see only more hardship and uncertainty. Although Tory supporters may honestly believe otherwise, I honestly feel as though a Tory victory is going to lead to an even bigger economic mess, with more hardship for the 95%, a more unequal society than ever and more division and hatred than ever. Jeremy Hunt's bad-Brexit NHS warning this week should be sending a chill down the spine of every person in the country. You can see the pretext for change that absolutely nobody wants being nakedly assembled.

I'm cancelling my license fee today. You don't need one if you don't plan to watch television live, and if you're not going to use iPlayer.

As I use NowTV and other services, I don't see why I should pay it any longer. I have previously been an ardent supporter of the BBC, lauding our public broadcaster as every bit an important institution as our NHS, seeing it as emblematic of something that actually prevents us from becoming a toxic cesspit like the US media. But the BBC news and politics teams in this election have totally eroded my faith in the BBC. Channel 4, ITV and even Sky have done a far better job. Even though there is bias in the latter two, at least they've been having a go with the airtime share, the debates and getting liberal commentators on. We'll see how the BBC do tonight I guess.

Zoibie

Copeland swinging back to Labour after three months would be pretty fantastic. Still not sure how much I should trust these YouGov numbers but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't trust them at all, but they make for nice fantasies.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
It thinks Lincoln could go Labour? Hahahaha from feeling of people I know there, yeaaah I think 'margin of error' is the key words

At least the site maintains Sleaford and North Hykeham will remain Conservative. :(

I really hate Lincoln (grew up in it) and North Hykeham (currently at now).

WhatNXt

So May can't face a TV debate, but she's telling everyone that she's strong enough to stand up to the EU.

Her defense line is that Jeremy should be concentrating on Brexit negotiations instead of how many times he appears on TV.

He not only makes himself more open and available to the hostile media than her, he's also visited more places and spoken with more real, actual people as well.

If concentrating on negotiations was so important, it does beg more than a few questions about why she called a snap-election in the first place.

She doesn't want to be articulately gang-banged by her opponents on television basically. They'll just do it in her absence anyway. I wonder what marvelous thing will happen or be announced tomorrow to detract from all the political attacks on her that will happen in her absence? Perhaps our highly coordinated right wing toilet-papers will decide that Labour want to introduce mandatory euthanasia and replace all gainfully employed white people with carefully screened refugee rapists, pre-approved for maximum welfare benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom