• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezbollah

No they didn't. A majority is 326+, they had 330. So everyone has to be on board for them to pass anything, and a few backbenchers can cause a lot of problems.

Indeed. The backbenchers take that number below the 326 IMO. Getting a strong majority means they can whip the non backbenchers into passing whatever laws they want - 350 is the minimum for that I think.

Never thought a bank would prefer the conservatives not to win lol. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...nomy-markets-jp-morgan-analysis-a7763596.html

I suspect they think Labour will go for a soft brexit with single market access and freedom of movement.

Theonik

I think FT's position here is quite bizarre. Yes I can understand their dismay about Labour and LD from their perspective, but the whole point of this election for May from the start is to have less accountability not more. To advocate for her increasing her majority is by definition giving her a blank check to do as she pleases.

One could say the electorate can choose to punish the conservatives after the fact in 2022, but the damage will have been dealt by then. This IS the time to vote. A small conservative majority or minority government is what these people should be pushing for. Then they will have to compromise with both sides of the aisle.

Beefy

‘Theresa May Has Totally F*cked It Up’ Tory Candidate Lets Rip At Dire Election Campaign

Tory candidates are “fucked off” with Theresa May for running a campaign that has “shattered” confidence in her ability to be Prime Minister.

The stark warning comes from a Conservative candidate seeking re-election in a marginal seat, and they told HuffPost UK that other colleagues across the UK share their frustration.

Another candidate seeking re-election was even more damning, saying that if Jeremy Corbyn wasn’t Labour leader, the Tories would definitely lose the election – “and we would deserve to.”

Even candidates who didn’t share the same pessimism as their worried colleagues agreed the campaign had been marred by “unforced errors” – with the u-turn on a social care cap being the prime example.

This quote is mad:
Speaking to HuffPost UK today, one candidate originally elected in 2015 said:

“It’s a completely different experience to what it was four weeks ago. It’s made my job a hell of a lot harder. It’s a completely different experience. I’m pretty fucked off.

“People on the doorstep are telling me: ‘She’s going after pensioners, she doesn’t know what she’s doing, she doesn’t answer questions on the TV.’ I’ve switched from saying ‘vote for her’ to ‘vote for me’. It’s hard to understand how people in London who get paid a lot of money made such a clusterfuck.

“People voted for her because of what they thought she was like rather than what she is like. It’s totally shattered the confidence of the parliamentary party.

“Colleagues up and down the country are just fucked off.

“She said she wasn’t going to call a general election, and they’ve totally fucked it up.

Mr Git

This line is barrel scraping bullshit :

It is no accident that the arrival of Mr Corbyn and his hard-left supporters in mainstream politics has coincided with a revival of anti-Semitism and misogyny

Fucking hell. Seriously what the fuck. Wasn't aware the FT had gone full Daily Mail.

Uzzy

Finally got some leaflets from the minor parties around here. Apparently we actually have a Libertarian Party here in the UK, that's a bit of a surprise. Shockingly, they want to reduce taxation and cut out Government waste, as well as 'make politicians accountable', which is nice I suppose.

Also, winner of the Apprentice Michelle Dewberry is standing in my constituency. She's a 'considered Brexiteer' who wants to scrap overseas funding so we can repair houses here in Hull. Also she wants us to be proud of Hull, which is clearly one of those fantasy policies that's not meant to be taken seriously.

Not received anything from Labour or the Tories yet, but this is Hull, and Labour could put up the ghost of Pol Pot and they'd win a thumping majority here.

Every time I think "damn, my party is in the doldrums", I look at Toryland (through my periscope from LibDemland) and I see all the fires and the knife sharpening, and, you know, it really cheers me up.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got some leaflets from the minor parties around here. Apparently we actually have a Libertarian Party here in the UK, that's a bit of a surprise. Shockingly, they want to reduce taxation and cut out Government waste, as well as 'make politicians accountable', which is nice I suppose.

Also, winner of the Apprentice Michelle Dewberry is standing in my constituency. She's a 'considered Brexiteer' who wants to scrap overseas funding so we can repair houses here in Hull. Also she wants us to be proud of Hull, which is clearly one of those fantasy policies that's not meant to be taken seriously.

Not received anything from Labour or the Tories yet, but this is Hull, and Labour could put up the ghost of Pol Pot and they'd win a thumping majority here.

Honestly, one of the biggest advantages of PR is that Labour would have to make concerted efforts to connect with the heartland vote and not just take it for granted. It's pretty awful how often seats in places like Stoke and Hull end up with candidates like Hunt.

hohoXD123

Every time I think "damn, my party is in the doldrums", I look at Toryland (through my periscope from LibDemland) and I see all the fires and the knife sharpening, and, you know, it really cheers me up.

Hopefully this'll cheer you up too

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/31/controversial-blogposts-tory-party-candidate-absolutely-shocking

A Conservative candidate in a key marginal seat has said a woman’s “promiscuity” is relevant in determining how likely it is that she consented to sex in alleged rape cases.

Peter Cuthbertson, who is seeking election as the Tory candidate in Darlington, expressed a series of controversial views in a prominent blog he wrote in the early 2000s.

He praised a “courageous priest jailed in Sweden for preaching against homosexuality” and wrote several blogposts about rape claims, including one arguing against proposals to make men prove they obtained consent before sex and restrictions on bringing up a woman’s sexual history in court.

He argued that a “woman of low morals is more likely to consent to sex, and to lie” and concluded that “all the sympathy in the world should be extended to women who have been raped, but men who are falsely accused of this crime are equally the victims here”.

Tim Farron's personal views are nothing compared to this...

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Theresa May is frowning so much in that interview above. She is really struggling.

May has projected and cultivated an image of authority and dignity. Her high personal ratings were never really based on anything (ask people to name her achievements) but the projections of hope amidst chaos. That's not her fault, though she certainly played up to it - sensibly.

But she - through arrogance, you'd have to say - has failed to lay the groundwork to justify it. Her unifying reason for calling the election is bullshit - the EU don't give a fuck about her winning an election, and she lied about it. You can't trigger negotiations and then call an election yet still pretend you care about Brexit negotiations. Her argument is stability but she has u turn after u turn on her record. She oversaw police cuts which may have impacted our ability to prevent the Manchester bombing. She advocates increased intrusion on personal data under the guise of security when the bomber was reported by multiple people. She u turns on dementia care (to a worse policy) but denies it is a u turn despite it being so fucking obvious. The disparity between the impending Brexit disaster and her braggadocio about the eu is so transparent. She claims stability whilst having Boris, David Davis and fucking Liam Fox overseeing the most crucial part of governance in the near future. Everything is a lie, often for no real reason.

You can only lie so much until your credibility is used up. Also, when the lie serves to undermine your fundamental characteristic. The Cognitive dissonance around May has been pushed towards breaking point.

May called the election because she arrogantly envisioned a coronation. But she can't hack it. Unless she has control she is fragile.

Mr Git

One of my friends is a 70 year old Fleetwood auld trawler. Always telling me jokes. Yesterday he told me he'd discovered a new oxymoron: thinking of voting Tory. I liked it, I'm sorry.

Another good move by Corbyn. I can only see more troubles ahead for the Tory party with May ducking this.

I'll be voting Lib Dem but for most voters it's really between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Sordid

Looks like the Scottish Conservatives like the 'Theresa May's Team' approach. Got a leaflet through my door that says "Only RUTH DAVIDSON'S CANDIDATE can beat the SNP" with the dudes actual name in small writing underneath. Wish I got a photo before my missus binned it, it was something else. All SNP this and SNP that without any actual proposals or ideas of their own.

Sad thing is I'm in a place where they might have a chance of winning :/

jelly

Theresa May is frowning so much in that interview above. She is really struggling.

May has projected and cultivated an image of authority and dignity. Her high personal ratings were never really based on anything (ask people to name her achievements) but the projections of hope amidst chaos. That's not her fault, though she certainly played up to it - sensibly.

But she - through arrogance, you'd have to say - has failed to lay the groundwork to justify it. Her unifying reason for calling the election is bullshit - the EU don't give a fuck about her winning an election, and she lied about it. You can't trigger negotiations and then call an election yet still pretend you care about Brexit negotiations. Her argument is stability but she has u turn after u turn on her record. She oversaw police cuts which may have impacted our ability to prevent the Manchester bombing. She advocates increased intrusion on personal data under the guise of security when the bomber was reported by multiple people. She u turns on dementia care (to a worse policy) but denies it is a u turn despite it being so fucking obvious. The disparity between the impending Brexit disaster and her braggadocio about the eu is so transparent. She claims stability whilst having Boris, David Davis and fucking Liam Fox overseeing the most crucial part of governance in the near future. Everything is a lie, often for no real reason.

You can only lie so much until your credibility is used up. Also, when the lie serves to undermine your fundamental characteristic. The Cognitive dissonance around May has been pushed towards breaking point.

May called the election because she arrogantly envisioned a coronation. But she can't hack it. Unless she has control she is fragile.

and this while she was Home Secretary for 5 years or so.

"Since 2004, European Union law has allowed governments to control movements of EU citizens as follows: allow EU citizens to freely circulate only for three months and then require them (should they want to stay longer) to show they are working (employed or self-employed), a registered student or have sufficient resources (pension, savings) to support themselves and comprehensive sickness insurance eg a valid European health insurance card enabling the NHS to claim back the cost of treatment or have private health insurance. The UK is one of the few governments that has not implemented this.

jelly

Looks like the Scottish Conservatives like the 'Theresa May's Team' approach. Got a leaflet through my door that says "Only RUTH DAVIDSON'S CANDIDATE can beat the SNP" with the dudes actual name in small writing underneath. Wish I got a photo before my missus binned it, it was something else. All SNP this and SNP that without any actual proposals or ideas of their own.

All of mine are basically that and stop Indyref2. Policies, what policies.

Mr. Sam

Oh, the Tories in Scotland have been the Ruth Davidson Party for a while now. It's actually a trick that May borrowed.

Empty

I'm honestly starting to wonder if May is cracking under the strain. She just seems... off:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/869908350019829760

looooool

jeremy corbyn should focus on delivering brexit instead of fighting the snap election which i personally called

also i prefer being off tv and meeting voters and by voters i mean five hand-picked people a day in hermetically sealed campaign venues designed to avoid the pesky public

she'll still win this election comfortably but she's absolutely destroyed beyond that. there's no delusions about her personal brand anymore, the only thing she has is in her favour is that ultimately people trust her more to deliver a fantasy brexit that is fundementally undeliverable. they won't blame themselves for that failing, they'll blame her.

scotcheggz

who are they interviewing?

It was Karen Bradley, culture secretary. The veins were popping from her eyes as she repeated coalition of chaos about 100 times and how it took jeremy 6 weeks to decide to turn up to the debate, so how can be be trusted to decide about anything to do with brexit.

she'll still win this election comfortably but she's absolutely destroyed beyond that. there's no delusions about her personal brand anymore, the only thing she has is in her favour is that ultimately people trust her more to deliver a fantasy brexit that is fundementally undeliverable. they won't blame themselves for that failing, they'll blame her.

That'd be ideal for their party, mind. The strongest the direct association with her person, the easier to make the party rebound after the thing inevitably crashes and burns. Blame it all on her, move on.

Will still come at a cost, obviously.

It was Karen Bradley, culture secretary. The veins were popping from her eyes as she repeated coalition of chaos about 100 times and how it took jeremy 6 weeks to decide to turn up to the debate, so how can be be trusted to decide about anything to do with brexit.
The look she gave when he was done interviewing was so soulless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom