• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything other than the conservatives taking more seats is absolute disaster for them. With the passion and movement behind corbyn and the labour party, if they keep him, in 5 years time it will be a landslide.

After the shambles that is this campaign i wouldn't trust the tories to organise a piss up in a brewery. Brexit is going to be a shitshow.
They've utterly fucked it. I wouldn't even trust May and the upper echelons to run a bath at this point, let alone a campaign.

I do think that Corbyn doesn't need to stand down if Labour lose, though, the public now have a better perception and idea of who he is.

PJV3

Trump will take the best deal that suits him at the time. Anybody expecting him to act out of friendship or loyalty will be burned like the hundreds (?thousands) before them.

By the time he would be able to help May I hope he's being impeached and too busy saving his own neck.

I realise that might be bad for us, but that fucker is dangerous and probably worse in the longer term.

Uzzy

Tories must be throwing cash at ads way more then any one else. They are everywhere.

Wonder if their expenses get looked into again? ��

The targeted ads they're putting on Facebook are rather interesting, and should certainly be looked at. They're able to target local seats, but it counts as national expenditure. They're not showing anyone what ad's they're running, and of course, because you're targeting them at individual people who fit whatever chosen metrics you want, you could in theory be running some particularly nasty adverts that'll only be seen by people liking the EDL, for example.

Taker666

If there was a Labour government, do people think the SNP would actually go through with another referendum?
Another Tory government plus increasing awareness of the effects of Brexit could potentially be enough to swing a 'yes' vote, but with Labour in power I think it'd be incredibly unlikely, in which case I don't know that they'd go through with a referendum in the first place.

I doubt they would to be honest. It's in the SNP's best interests for the Tories win.

A Labour/SNP coalition is probably the thing most likely to ensure a resounding "No" vote (also the thing most likely to help Labour get back some support in Scotland).

Labour isn't getting a majority - that is something that actually is an impossibility due to the way votes are split.

But suppose the final result is a Tory rout and Labour get in as a minority government - they will need SNP support on everything. So if the SNP say "no we won't pass your budget without an independence referendum, and we won't pass any final deal with Europe that does not opt Scotland into the single market, and we also want a negotiation team for Scottish interests..."

You can see how that gets messy quite quickly. The SNP are a hard-headed party who have little reason to compromise on their core values when they're holding an entire government hostage.

Honestly the best result, still, is a hung parliament with the Tories as the largest party and respectable numbers for the SNP, the LDs and Labour. I think that's getting more likely as May's popularity plummets.

The weaker the national campaign, the stronger an opposing local campaign can be.

Also here's Willie Rennie jumping over a dodgy Lib Dem bar chart..

18891847_1399348876798098_3754737092759034153_o.jpg

The Scottish LD campaign has been several times better than the English one - and they have a far less compromised leader.

PJV3

Labour isn't getting a majority - that is something that actually is an impossibility due to the way votes are split.

But suppose the final result is a Tory rout and Labour get in as a minority government - they will need SNP support on everything. So if the SNP say "no we won't pass your budget without an independence referendum, and we won't pass any final deal with Europe that does not opt Scotland into the single market, and we also want a negotiation team for Scottish interests..."

You can see how that gets messy quite quickly. The SNP are a hard-headed party who have little reason to compromise on their core values when they're holding an entire government hostage.

Honestly the best result, still, is a hung parliament with the Tories as the largest party and respectable numbers for the SNP, the LDs and Labour. I think that's getting more likely as May's popularity plummets.

The weaker the national campaign, the stronger an opposing local campaign can be.

They bring down a Labour government and probably bring back a Tory one, it's probably a bad play long term.

They bring down a Labour government and probably bring back a Tory one, it's probably a bad play long term.

They wave through absolutely everything Corbyn does south of the border as long as Corbyn waves through everything they want to do north of it.

Audioboxer

I think a lot of people wouldn't, because of the conflict of interests. At least theoretically, national parties are supposed to concerned with everyone, but that's explicitly not true for the SNP, who have no incentive to care for the future of anyone non-Scottish other than insofar as it indirectly benefits Scots. That means in cases where you have a policy that would hurt Scotland a little but (for example) benefit the North and Wales a lot (like a fairer distribution of the Barnett formula), the North and Wales are going to lose out.

This is why my dislike of the SNP is so entrenched. The prospect of them being in a coalition is a legitimate fear for many traditional, working-class Labour voters in the North and in Wales. The mere existence of the SNP hampers Labour even outside Scotland, and divides the British left.

I mean, it's not like this in practice, because the Conservatives don't really give two shits about the North or Wales, but at the very least, they put up the pretence of doing so. The SNP never can, for... kinda obvious reasons.

Instead of wallowing in a corner about how the Scottish government does what it can to stand up for the Scottish people maybe ask why the Conservatives, and Labour to some extent, are still crawling behind the SNP with how they "stand up for the UK". Maybe take some inspiration from what the SNP MPs say about the people they represent and ask why the fuck UK wide MPs don't do as such? You want this to be a Union? Well, accept that some parts of the Union may at sometimes be doing it better than others. You can learn from others at times without it meaning you're disgracing yourself.

For once Corbyn has put out a Labour manifesto that actually seems to mimic a lot of what the SNP do and say for Scotland. It's still a bit mental how people across the rUK fail to see the SNPs rise to power is largely because they're a party that stand up for the people and have lots of progressive views and policy. The increases in support for independence come about precisely because the UK-wide parties are often utter garbage at progressive approaches to Government.

Blows my mind how Scottish Labour cannot understand why they lost critical blood loss to the SNP and why so many across the UK still fundamentally fail to see why the SNP keep winning (it's clearly just because of division and problematic nationalism man!). The fear of a coalition is absolutely mad. Voters across the UK who are so indoctrinated by Conservative propaganda.

Sorry for the rant but the irony that will probably break up the UK is the voters (and Labour parties) complete and utter idiotic understandings of why Scotland is how it is. Labour winning back soft-SNP voters and working together is precisely how the "Union is saved", but no, the optics! Let us just keep beating the Scottish people over the head telling them to fall in line and not do what they can to prop up a progressive government for themselves.

Faddy

Banned
I live in Hull. And while Crab's points are certainly valid, for me at least I don't want to see our country broken apart. Now I actually would support a second referendum on the issue, given that Brexit has rather fundamentally changed the constitution of the UK. Of course if the Scots democratically choose to leave, then while I'll be sad to see them go, that'd be fair enough as it's their choice to make.

That's a different matter entirely to actively working with the party who wants to see our country break up.

You know what drives Independence? it is ignorant people in England who refuse to believe Scotland should have a voice. You aren't saving the Union by running to the Tories, you are actively breaking it up.

You think the SNP are the enemy, well take a page from Corbyn and try to be open rather than creating barriers. Places like Hull are cutting their noses off by voting Tory from fear of the SNP. Go read the SNP manifesto, there is little on independence and plenty on policy that is similar or at least taking the same path as UK Labour.

Scotland has lost its Labour Party which has become a cheap Tory knockoff. The English should be giving us a boot up the arse and showing us what a real progressive, modern Labour Party can actually do for the country. And there are plenty of people up here who want to listen, we all didn't stop voting Labour because we lost faith in good policies like Corbyn has proposed, we moved because Scottish Labour had moved away from us and ready to support the conservatives at every turn.

Hazzuh

My dream future: Corbyn consolidates a more leftist hold on the PLP, steps down for Clive or Angela or Lisa. May wins narrow majority but with shattered credibility. Brexit goes tits up (I mean, no horribly so, but in the sense of: looks awful for the Conservatives). 2022 is landslide for new, invigorated leftist Labour. We nationalise the memes of production.

May is still miles ahead in the "who would make the best PM" question though (which I think is more predictive?).

kmag

They wave through absolutely everything Corbyn does south of the border as long as Corbyn waves through everything they want to do north of it.

Most of the realistic policies in the Labour manifesto (i.e the policies Corbyn will get past the centrists in his party in any conceivable Commons calculus where Labour are a minority government) are already in place in Scotland. The SNP will acquiesce to them because they mean more spending for Scotland.

Audioboxer

You know what drives Independence? it is ignorant people in England who refuse to believe Scotland should have a voice. You aren't saving the Union by running to the Tories, you are actively breaking it up.

You think the SNP are the enemy, well take a page from Corbyn and try to be open rather than creating barriers. Places like Hull are cutting their noses off by voting Tory from fear of the SNP. Go read the SNP manifesto, there is little on independence and plenty on policy that is similar or at least taking the same path as UK Labour.

Scotland has lost its Labour Party which has become a cheap Tory knockoff. The English should be giving us a boot up the arse and showing us what a real progressive, modern Labour Party can actually do for the country. And there are plenty of people up here who want to listen, we all didn't stop voting Labour because we lost faith in good policies like Corbyn has proposed, we moved because Scottish Labour had moved away from us and ready to support the conservatives at every turn.

Well said, although I don't quite think it's "ignorant people in England who refuse to believe Scotland should have a voice", but more as I said there is a complete fundamental misunderstanding of why Scotland has shifted how it has. From both rUK voters and the Labour party itself. Not that people do not want Scottish people to have an opinion/voice, but they have the most childish overall views of why the country has "rebelled" and votes for its interests. It's easy to just demonise and scream everyone in the North is trying to break up our Union, rather than self-reflect on why there is so much unhappiness directed at the Union. People in the rUK are unhappy with the Tories, right? People in the rUK want something different, right? Well, it's basically the same up here, and as Labour has been in a spiral of existential crisis for a while, they've been far too like the Tories for many Scots.

Be in a union that keeps voting in Tory government and voted for something like Brexit and then be surprised why a part of the Union says "fuck this" and decides to try and vote in a country-wide government that is progressive and forward-thinking? How could anyone not think that would end up happening? A country has every right to try and shape its own future without being told sit down, shut-up and stop progressing without us. Our nation is rather small, we cannot do all the weight-lifting for the rUK, but we can show many voters how it is to live in a country with a decent government that is nothing like the Tories.

There are lots of SNP voters who are unsure of independence, but the longer things are how they are it pushes people to explore options. That's what is happening, not a surge of William Wallace demon babies being fired out of vaginas who just simply hate the UK.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
Can't Jeremy sit in the audience when May is on QT and trollface?

Corbyn should ask the first question and bait her into answering in a way that sounds like she is challenging him to debate on the spot, then the BBC pulls out two podiums behind her and Corbyn takes his place, landing May in a hellish spontaneous party leader debate.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Tories must be throwing cash at ads way more then any one else. They are everywhere.

Wonder if their expenses get looked into again? 🤔

They have a lot more funding than any other party, business sure loves to help out the anti-workers rights, pro-low corporation tax party.

What's the combined readership of the Times, the Express, and the Sun?
The circulation is one number (1.666m, 450k 392k...guess which is which
Sun Times Express
) but the readership is another.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...United_Kingdom_by_circulation#2010_to_present

EDIT: Just realised this is the seat Farage lost out on. So, holy shit, he was right about it being a dodgy win for the Tories after all...
Sadly this means Farage is once against given a voice and his voice was thankfully brief and said that seat was between Labour and UKIP :)lol:) now...

I was going to mention something about a broken clock being right twice a day but if the hands have fallen off that wouldn't be true.

As soon as she saw him she would protest, or she has already warned them about that possibility.
Part of me wants to see the QT audience all wearing Jeremy Corbyn masks.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Milliband going in hard on May not condemning Trump on Radio 4 right now.

The fact that he has made himself quite visible in this election bodes well for Labour I think. Assuming May is PM with a minimal increase in majority I think that's a good outcome for the left wing in the UK - although more powerful in Parliament the Tories are weakened politically and certainly internally given the shambles of this election. They'll also still be responsible for a Brexit that will please no-one.

If this campaign can convince the PLP to unite, and bring the Blairites back into the fold whilst having seen more socially progressive policies are popular, we could have a genuinely decent opposition. If Brexit outcome can cause enough Parliamentary upheaval an early election in 2020 could see Labour returned under Corbyn with a united party. Maybe?!

Milliband without the spotlight on him as leader is a savage wee fucker as it turns out. His twitter snipes are excellent.

Spuck-uk

Banned

Also here's Willie Rennie jumping over a dodgy Lib Dem bar chart..

The Scottish LD campaign has been several times better than the English one - and they have a far less compromised leader.

I'd happily take a Labour/SNP coalition with the Tories forced to eat shit. Every day they're in power is another day they're cocking up the country.

Milliband without the spotlight on him as leader is a savage wee fucker as it turns out. His twitter snipes are excellent.

As someone mentioned yesterday, it's probably more a case of him having time to come up with those snippy remarks than anything else. Still, it's nice to see he didn't retreat from politics altogether.

What's Brown up to these days? He was out and about during the referendum, but he seems oddly quiet during this election.

Goodlife

As someone mentioned yesterday, it's probably more a case of him having time to come up with those snippy remarks than anything else. Still, it's nice to see he didn't retreat from politics altogether.

What's Brown up to these days? He was out and about during the referendum, but he seems oddly quiet during this election.

Probably can't bring himself to campaign for Corbyn

Audioboxer

His current speciality just seems to be getting wheeled out for referendums. Whether it's in Scotland or a UK one. Like Blair, he should be put in a rocket and fired into space for the aliens to deal with.

Scotland has produced some terrible MPs.

Morat

Banned
His current speciality just seems to be getting wheeled out for referendums. Whether it's in Scotland or a UK one. Like Blair, he should be put in a rocket and fired into space for the aliens to deal with.

I don't like the idea of aliens first learning of earth through Blair..

If this campaign can convince the PLP to unite, and bring the Blairites back into the fold whilst having seen more socially progressive policies are popular, we could have a genuinely decent opposition. If Brexit outcome can cause enough Parliamentary upheaval an early election in 2020 could see Labour returned under Corbyn with a united party. Maybe?!

I don't know if it's possible to bring them into the fold without an ugly compromise, and even if they did come back they might well be Trojan horses.

Better to treat them like the Blairites treated the left in the 90s, marginalise them as much as possible and use internal party mechanisms to keep them in line. Maybe give them a few crumbs here and there to keep some of the loudest squawkers quiet

I'd prefer to hammer them until they broke and left politics for good but I think Corbyn is too nice for that, sadly

Faddy

Banned

Scotland has produced some terrible MPs.

The people of Scotland would like to apologise for the following MPs

Michael Gove
Liam Fox
Iain Duncan Smith
David Mundell

This election has me confused. Whilst I'm in a socialist bubble on Facebook, for some odd reason I have 20 or so friends on Facebook who were stout conservatives who have been posting Corbyn videos, people who I would never consider voting Labour now openly backing them. Last election I saw a much more mixed view, this time I'm not seeing anyone except one mate who's a bodyguard in Iraq and ex-SAS posting pro-tory stuff. I don't know if this is just targeted advertising or a genuine shift in the ideals of people I know. But why do I see this one mates right wing shit but no one elses? The polls don't add up to what I'm seeing and hearing day to day. 90% of my friends on Facebook are voting Labour, even the ones I would never expect to. My only thought is that old people are going to come out in droves and fuck us up once again.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This election has me confused. Whilst I'm in a socialist bubble on Facebook, for some odd reason I have 20 or so friends on Facebook who were stout conservatives who have been posting Corbyn videos, people who I would never consider voting Labour now openly backing them. Last election I saw a much more mixed view, this time I'm not seeing anyone except one mate who's a bodyguard in Iraq and ex-SAS posting pro-tory stuff. I don't know if this is just targeted advertising or a genuine shift in the ideals of people I know. But why do I see this one mates right wing shit but no one elses? The polls don't add up to what I'm seeing and hearing day to day. 90% of my friends on Facebook are voting Labour, even the ones I would never expect to. My only thought is that old people are going to come out in droves and fuck us up once again.

There's an enormous number of older people in this country. The Conservatives lead 66-15 among the over 65s; 6 in 10 Conservative voters are retired. If you want to find them, phone your nan.

There's an enormous number of older people in this country. The Conservatives lead 66-15 among the over 65s; 6 in 10 Conservative voters are retired. If you want to find them, phone your nan.

Dude, I'm 45, my Nan died a long time ago. My Mum is voting Labour. My Dad who is an Irish immigrant ,was forced to go bankrupt because of the Tory policies in the 80's is voting Tory, because brown people. Yep, that's what this election stands on, invented bigotry.

Beefy

Or kill all old people? 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom