• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Police are probing claims ex Labour MP Simon Danczuk raped a woman in Westminster.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: “On Monday, 8 May 2017, officers from Greater Manchester Police referred an allegation of rape to the Metropolitan Police.

“A woman has alleged that she was raped by a man in his 50’s. The incident is alleged to have occurred in May 2016 at a location in Westminster.

“Detectives from the Sexual Offences, Exploitation and Child Abuse Command have been notified and will investigate.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mp-simon-danczuk-facing-police-10390452

Same day he cut up his card! Shocker.

Tomorrow we shall hear if the CPS is going to arrest some Tories.

Gonna make a bet now: the CPS concludes that there was not provable corrupt intent and nothing happens.

StayDead

I don't like foxhunting at all (to the extent that I am barred for life from one country pub for banging on about it and burning things in the lounge bar). It's a very nice pub too - or at least it was 10 years ago.

But I am extremely worried about governments being in the business of banning things just because a majority disapproves of them. That's the way you end up with death sentences for apostasy and with the sort of thing that passes for abortion 'debate' in the USA, and of course anti-gay laws all around the world.

I'm no great fan of bringing foxhunting back, but I think it set a possibly dangerous precedent banning it in the first place.

It's not banning something people like. It's about banning something that is animal cruelty...

*Splinter

I'm not having a go at you Splinter but man, those people can just eff off, May included. Prancing around in their stupid outfits, killing for sport. It's an embrassment.
Oh completely agreed.

And on top of the cruelty it's frustrating that this could even become a talking point again. It's already banned, another 10-20 years and fox hunting would be a distant memory with absolutely no support. As other posters have suggested I guess this is just some sort of distraction, although I don't entirely understand the logic behind it.

will that do any damage to the tories this election?

If less than about 10 MPs (or, rather, 2015-17 MPs, as there are no MPs currently) are arrested: no.
If more MPs are arrested than May had a majority of: yes, but it will be quickly smothered by the right-wing press, Corbyn will dither on answering a few more direct questions or something and Farron will probably be allowed only a limited hearing.

It's insane that you can have an alleged bodged case of mass electoral expenses fraud and it's mostly a footnote, but this is how dire the situation is in British politics.

HaloRose

Banned
If less than about 10 MPs (or, rather, 2015-17 MPs, as there are no MPs currently) are arrested: no.
If more MPs are arrested than May had a majority of: yes, but it will be quickly smothered by the right-wing press, Corbyn will dither on answering a few more direct questions or something and Farron will probably be allowed only a limited hearing.

It's insane that you can have an alleged bodged case of mass electoral expenses fraud and it's mostly a footnote, but this is how dire the situation is in British politics.

She probably win either way the British public are easily for forgetful!

Pandy

Most media outlets have already shown a propensity towards ignoring or sidelining this story, so I expect it to disappear rapidly even if the number of people charged is at the upper end of the scale.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
No, we just don't care.

"As if other parties haven't done it before!"

At the very least, an inquiry into likely wrongdoing happens more often than you think.

TWO former SNP MPs suspended over police inquiries would get thousands of pounds in goodbye payments if they stood for as Independents in June and lost, it has emerged.

Ms McGarry, 35, who announced yesterday that she was pregnant with her first child after collapsing in the Commons, is facing fraud charges, while Ms Thomson, 52, has been reported to prosecutors after a police investigation into possible mortgage fraud.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15235525.Suspended_Nationalist_MPs_would_get_pay_offs_if_they_stand_in_June/

That's 2 out of 56 elected in 2015. Statistically it's similar.

Oh completely agreed.

And on top of the cruelty it's frustrating that this could even become a talking point again. It's already banned, another 10-20 years and fox hunting would be a distant memory with absolutely no support. As other posters have suggested I guess this is just some sort of distraction, although I don't entirely understand the logic behind it.

Full disclosure here - both my mum and brother are fox-hunters (quite a lot of my home town are actually) and although I disagree with the practice and have argued with them regarding it, I haven't cut them out of my life.

Before anyone asks, I'm not a toff - both parents are teachers, brother is a debt collector and I'm a teacher - it just happens that I come from an area where people do fox-hunting. Also, they are Tories whereas I'm on the Left.

First off, the original act was seen in the countryside by lots of people that the Labour Party didn't care about the them. Even if - and I know it wasn't - that wasn't the reason the act was passed, that was how it was felt. You might not remember, but there were countryside marches in London around this time to support it.

I think May is now signalling that she understands the countryside's needs, which will play well in a lot of areas. I've noted that my home area in Scotland is looking like it might go Tory. This will play well and garner more votes in such places.

Also, it won't actually affect the hunts themselves. They still go on as - from what I was told - you can still go hunting so long as you don't initially intend to hunt a fox. If one 'happens' to cross your path well, that's just pure chance. In the Borders, you can also get around it by starting in England and crossing into Scotland, which is only a 10 min drive away.

So, in short, this will garner some votes in a lot of places and even if she doesn't end up doing anything, will not actually affect those who did vote. It also harkens back to the UK people remember and seem to want to return to.

Again, definitely don't agree with the hunts but trying to explain how it might play out for votes.

Moobabe

Well at least the fox hunting story made one front page... in a nib... in The Mirror.

The May's pathetic, humanising effort, pandered to by an even more pathetic BBC and One Show seems, to have done her the world of good though - regardless of her backwards, outdated views of gender roles.

Thanks British press!

I think May is now signalling that she understands the countryside's needs, which will play well in a lot of areas. I've noted that my home area in Scotland is looking like it might go Tory. This will play well and garner more votes in such places.

Maybe one side of the countryside. The countryside I know is the one with some of the highest rates of depression, mental health issues, and suicide in the U.K, especially among wives of farmers.

Randdalf

Just had a thought. If the Tories end up with a hundred more seats, is it likely that we'll end up with a new speaker? They don't like him very much right?

Spuck-uk

Banned
Uhh didn't Labour do this in 1997 with Martin Bell by joining with the Libs in not running a candidate in Neil Hamilton's seat?

edit: also guardian roundup is filled with more corbyn lolz

Well jeez Corbyn you really are fiending to destroy Labour aren't ya?

Joe Anderson is a corrupt piece of shit that should have been ousted years ago, and now he;s spitting his dummy because it finally happened.

Pandy

Maybe one side of the countryside. The countryside I know is the one with some of the highest rates of depression, mental health issues, and suicide in the U.K, especially among wives of farmers.
And it's probably going to get worse for them with whatever replacement scheme the Tories come up with to replace the EU CAP payments. Maybe they'll get payments tied to whether they allow fox hunting on their land, as 'supporting sociable countryside activity', or some shite.

While we wait for no-one to be arrested, here's a dumb video I made to show how last night's episode of The One Show with Trezza May would have been improved by taking a bit of a hint from QI: https://twitter.com/jonathanex/status/862208085829472256

Tried to watch your video, Chrome crashed out.

Par Score

I don't like foxhunting at all (to the extent that I am barred for life from one country pub for banging on about it and burning things in the lounge bar). It's a very nice pub too - or at least it was 10 years ago.

But I am extremely worried about governments being in the business of banning things just because a majority disapproves of them. That's the way you end up with death sentences for apostasy and with the sort of thing that passes for abortion 'debate' in the USA, and of course anti-gay laws all around the world.

I'm no great fan of bringing foxhunting back, but I think it set a possibly dangerous precedent banning it in the first place.

I'm going to attempt to be polite about this.

If you could try not to compare banning needless animal cruelty to enshrining in law my right to fucking exist that would be pleasant, ta.

Like, seriously, this is a half-step removed from the tired "Gay marriage will lead to legalised bestiality" arguments, just coming at it from the other direction. Conflating gay rights with animal rights is incredibly, self-evidently homophobic.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I think the argument with the Tories is that there is some suggestion that it was centrally organised which is very different.

There will be no way they can prove that. If May can sweep the historical sex abuse stuff under the rug, then this will be a breeze. They'll bury it under a story about Corbyn making jam wrong or something.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I think it needs to be one hell of a big tree.....

It really is, and taxes should be higher. Fuck it I should be paying more tax, happily would to pay for the changes that need to happen.

Austerity is a load of shit, and never works out in the long term. 99% of the time it fails in the short term as well.

excowboy

While we wait for no-one to be arrested, here's a dumb video I made to show how last night's episode of The One Show with Trezza May would have been improved by taking a bit of a hint from QI: https://twitter.com/jonathanex/status/862208085829472256

Not enough love for this - well played sir!

EDIT: I actually watched the interview this morning and there was a bit where Trezza was answering one of the fluffy domestic questions and her 'strong and stable' subroutine kicked in. She had to quickly redirect her answer to try and sound like a human being. I found the whole thing pretty hard to watch tbh, but that's at least as much due to the format and level of questioning as it was the interviewees.

Well, they already said they'd raising corporation tax in addition to the income tax for >80k earners. No numbers yet.

I mean, Labour have to account for the £100bn cost of leaving the Single Market, too.

I think I heard a cost of £58bn for how much Labour's education policy would cost.

This isn't sticking the boot in, as I'm not going to do so unless Labour seriously bodges their manifesto, it's just a comment on "gee that's a lot of money, gov".

Maledict

Fox hunting isn't a key issue for most tories. It's being used to signal that the Conservative party does occasionally think of the countryside and rural areas - something that labour doesn't tend to do.

PJV3

It really is, and taxes should be higher. Fuck it I should be paying more tax, happily would to pay for the changes that need to happen.

Austerity is a load of shit, and never works out in the long term. 99% of the time it fails in the short term as well.

I'd like people to remember not spending or investing also has costs attached. Gordon Brown heavily invested in flood defences which came in very handy a few ago.

PJV3

Shocked, *shocked* I tell you.

Lol.

I'm not sure I'd prefer the Tories getting done and winning a landslide, because this is the one election where it wouldn't change the result much. This year is Brexit and nothing else matters much.

excowboy

Shocked, *shocked* I tell you.

Yeah, me too... As much as it'd be satisfying to watch these various MPs roasted over this, and as much as it is likely that CCHQ knew they were at least bending the rules to some extent, there's clearly no smoking gun that would allow intent to be proved in court. Its presumably a pretty high bar to get over, and 'you sound pretty disingenuous' is not going to clear it unfortunately.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I mean, Labour have to account for the £100bn cost of leaving the Single Market, too.

I think I heard a cost of £58bn for how much Labour's education policy would cost.

This isn't sticking the boot in, as I'm not going to do so unless Labour seriously bodges their manifesto, it's just a comment on "gee that's a lot of money, gov".

'Leave the EU but do a Norway' is what I'd reckon as the Labour goal if they actually win (they won't win).

Why aren't the Lib Dems running on 'We'll stay in Europe', but instead on a second Referendum when christ knows the country is stupid to vote for Brexit a second time.

Why aren't the Lib Dems running on 'We'll stay in Europe', but instead on a second Referendum when christ knows the country is stupid to vote for Brexit a second time.

Because if we won we'd probably not have a plurality, so revoking Article 50 would not be something the majority voted for. A second referendum allows you that mandate.

And yeah reading into this CPS judgement, the law apparently states that the national party can give misleading legal advice to candidates and agents as cover for breaking expenses rules, and this avoids breaking the ROTPA because the candidate and agent can claim they were mislead by the national party.

Spaghetti

Careful fellas, the Conservative party chairman had this to say about continuing the claims of electoral fraud:

A number of false and malicious claims continue to be spread on the internet. People should be aware that making false claims about a candidate’s personal character and conduct is an electoral offence, as well as being defamatory.

Maybe I'm just being cynical, but it smells a bit like intimidation to squash the issue in case more prosecutable skeletons are hiding in the closet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom