• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Parliament Vote to trigger Article 50 (498 - 144)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougald

Yeh we had MEP's but no one seemed to care enough to vote for the good MEP's so we got the likes of Farage and co who tarnished the UK and did nothing but cause shit in the EP.

I wish I could get paid as much as Farage does as MEP to occasionally show up at my job and insult everyone

Good. UK will achieve great things.

lol, funniest thing i've read all day.

aside from all the huge economic issues you're going to face [and let's be honest, the economic issues you're going to cause], who's going to serve me coffee at Pret during my next visit?

[hint - not any white and/or english person, that's for sure]

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Yup, that's the one area you'll see a lot of Remainers and Brexiteers agree on - making Europe run better by placing as little legal burden on member states as possible should be something the EU works towards.

On the EU super state, we got that opt-out from the ever closer union in Cameron's stupid renegotiation, so that wasn't a thing. But people thought it was, because they didn't do research and had bad arguments fed to them.

Cameron should have known better. The AV referendum was an exercise in using the ignorance of voters against their better interests. That tactic was expanded on by Leave.

We don't know the extent of what that opt-out from an ever closer union actually would have been. As for the AV referendum, that was part of the coalition agreement. His party was never for it, though perhaps it made him feel more secure about promising the Brexit vote than it should have.

Joni

That's the thing. I actually started writing out a reply to give my reasoning behind my vote but then i remembered where I'm posting. You don't actually care about why I voted leave and no amount of reasonable explanation is going to change your opinion of me, just as you won't be able to change mine. So I'm not going to waste my time and put myself 'on trial' on GAF. I don't need to. I know that my vote was not based on malicious intent and you'll just have to take my word for it and stop trying to bait me.
Every time someone said this it was because they turned out to be stupid or racist reasons. None of them considered those reasons stupid or racist.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Every time someone said this it was because they turned out to be stupid or racist reasons. None of them considered those reasons stupid or racist.

You're labelling.

I do believe the EU is a net benefit, but it's also a system completely designed for international capitalism with no awareness for indigenous values. If every EU citizen has the right to migrate to the UK (and stay as long as they get a job within a certain period of time) then those people aren't easily integrating. The last time Great Britain had such a relative influx of people was probably 1066 and its aftermath. Think about it, it's been almost 1000 years... Furthermore, in the last significant migration before the Normans, Celtic culture and language was completely destroyed in England except for Cornwall (though it remains quite significant in the gene pool).

Places like the Netherlands don't get as many EU migrants, either in relative or absolute terms, so that there's no equivalent and you develop this feeling that you can preach that....

migration_by_nationality_PKank6K.png

In the year to June 2016, an estimated 285,000 citizens from other EU countries immigrated to the UK, and about 95,000 emigrated abroad. So EU ‘net migration' was around 190,000. That's roughly the highest recorded level.

Estimated non-EU immigration and net migration have always been higher, though the gap is narrowing due to large increases in EU immigration over the past few years, and the two are now at similar recorded levels.

https://fullfact.org/immigration/eu-migration-and-uk/

....is normal. Well it's not normal and almost no other sovereign state on Earth is unable to maintain its own immigration policy, except for those in the EU and EEA. Don't expect non-EU migration to increase either.

You're labelling.

I do believe the EU is a net benefit, but it's also a system completely designed for international capitalism with no awareness for indigenous values. If every EU citizen has the right to migrate to the UK (and stay as long as they get a job within a certain period of time) then those people aren't easily integrating. The last time Great Britain had such a relative influx of people was probably 1066 and its aftermath. Think about it, it's been almost 1000 years... Furthermore, in the last significant migration before the Normans, Celtic culture and language was completely destroyed in England except for Cornwall (though it remains quite significant in the gene pool).

Places like the Netherlands don't get as many EU migrants, either in relative or absolute terms, so that there's no equivalent and you develop this feeling that you can preach that....

migration_by_nationality_PKank6K.png

https://fullfact.org/immigration/eu-migration-and-uk/

....is normal. Well it's not normal and almost no other sovereign state on Earth is unable to maintain its own immigration policy, except for those in the EU and EEA. Don't expect non-EU migration to increase either.

Free movement makes sense because it's in the same geographical area and that's how you create a single market with seamless trade. There are no trade barriers. At all. Companies can hire whoever they want within the EU so running a European business is simple because of the lack of red tape, for example. Also goods, etc. can move freely with no internal borders. I believe Europeans integrate juuust fine. Because everyone living in the EU and on this continent of ours share Europeanness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom