• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
I'm two men down at work. Probably will be staying until 9pm tonight and tomorrow. That's if I'm quick.

edit - Jesus, Smoky. Your sarcastic ways about travelers is just playing with fire.

SmokyDave

I'm two men down at work. Probably will be staying until 9pm tonight and tomorrow. That's if I'm quick.

edit - Jesus, Smoky. Your sarcastic ways about travelers is just playing with fire.

I would hope my comments will be taken in the spirit they were given: light mockery.

Seriously though, that thread is dangerous. The cultural gulf on this site is sometimes very, very evident.

Xun

I'm almost tempted to post, but I best not.

I'd probably be banned, which could potentially be a good thing.

Suairyu

Banned
I would hope my comments will be taken in the spirit they were given: light mockery.

Seriously though, that thread is dangerous. The cultural gulf on this site is sometimes very, very evident.
I know. I once said 'oriental' without knowing US Gaf considers it a slur on the same scale as 'nigger'.
I'm almost tempted to post, but I best not.

I'd probably be banned, which could potentially be a good thing.
I've entered some very volitile threads and said some very traditionally controversial things and have never been banned. Establish a reputation for intelligent posting and always explain yourself fully - you will be immune to the ban hammer.

Suairyu

Banned
Show of hands:

Who thought Richard O'Brien, presenter of the Crystal Maze, was dead? This urban myth seems to be so pervasive and I have no idea where it came from. Can't find anything about it online.

Show of hands:

Who thought Richard O'Brien, presenter of the Crystal Maze, was dead? This urban myth seems to be so pervasive and I have no idea where it came from. Can't find anything about it online.

I didn't, saw him on some documentary or talking head show a while ago. His successor on the Crstal Maze was absolutely barking.

Qasiel

Show of hands:

The day he dies, a solid chunk of my childhood would die with him. Last I heard he was trying to move abroad, but was denied citizenship (I think it was New Zealand).

Also, a friend of mine claims to know him through his uncle. Although this friend is known as "Crazy Pete", so his reliability is somewhat up for question.

no angel

Show of hands:

For some reason I find this less plausible than Bon Holness playing the saxophone solo on 'Baker Street'.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Show of hands:

I believed it for a short time a few years ago, but can't remember who told me it. Was glad when I found it it was not so.

He was the reason I watched the show.

SmokyDave

Show of hands:

Did You Mean: Creator of The Rocky Horror Show?

I didn't think he was dead, coincidentally.

Suairyu

Banned
More importantly, he wrote Rocky Horror and was Riff Raff. I don't want him to be dead.

I'm totes doing an interview with him

edit - SmokyDave beat me. But yes, I neglected to mention that part because the myth usually go "that bald guy wot did Crystal Maze died"

So just to check, I shouldn't go in there with insights gleamed from Big Fat Gypsy Weddings? I've watched every episode. I'm an expert on their culture now, clearly.

Mr. Sam

I've started saying thanks to bus drivers when I get on the bus in addition to when I get off. Is this too much? I believe Dave has a doctorate in public transport etiquette.

daviyoung

Banned
So just to check, I shouldn't go in there with insights gleamed from Big Fat Gypsy Weddings? I've watched every episode. I'm an expert on their culture now, clearly.

It would be like going into a thread for Armenians because you've watched Keeping Up With The Kardashians.

And Richard O'Brien was in Right Said Fred, with his brother Fred.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Damn McDonald's worker has given me medium fries instead of large. Of course it is tipping it down with rain so I basically wanted to get home ASAP and have only just noticed.

Good thing I have a spare voucher as proof and I've taken a photo. Going to send them an email. And they say Brits never complain.

SmokyDave

I've started saying thanks to bus drivers when I get on the bus in addition to when I get off. Is this too much? I believe Dave has a doctorate in public transport etiquette.

Yeah, that's too much. You want a cheery 'Hiya!' upon boarding and a hearty 'Cheers!' as you depart the charabanc. That's what my textbooks say, anyway.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
CHEEZMO™;37742074 said:
Does anyone know anything about the NAAFI?

I know there's a roundabout named after it in Aldershot, plus it has something to do with the army maybe?

This is not the helpful answer you wished for, I apologise heartily.

Suairyu

Banned
Office is so empty. Just a few try-hards like me still in. I wonder how late I'm actually allowed to stay. I mean, I'll probably have to go home at some point to shower before the people arrive in the morning.

Oh, you mean Richard Littlejon then!
Not Little Richard?

Xun

Office is so empty. Just a few try-hards like me still in. I wonder how late I'm actually allowed to stay. I mean, I'll probably have to go home at some point to shower before the people arrive in the morning.
What do you even do?

no angel

Not Little Richard?
No you're doing it all wrong, you wear your stink like a badge of honour. That way when people do arrive in the morning you apologise for smelling and explain that you've been working all night, then they feel really guilty, as they should. Revel in your repulsive odour, delight in your disgusting stench, and inflict it on as many others as possible.

Suairyu

Banned
So... great. the other person who works for me was meant to pull overtime, too. She stayed a total of 30 minutes later. Ugh. Going to go in early tomorrow, then see about if I can do anything like coming in over the weekend.

What do you even do?
I'm a production assistant for a television studio. Bottom of the run at the moment so it's almost exclusively transcribing.

Good morning UK Gaffers and a happy Friday to you all!

So the black cloud that has been hanging over me for so long I feel is finally starting to lift. I handed my notice in yesterday, I only have to put up with 4 more weeks here (not even that due to bank holidays and holidays).

I have a hen night tomorrow, and another next Friday. I'm seeing my favourite band in just over a week, and the Fort William trip coming up soon.

Life is good my friends, and I'm so glad that I'm finally starting to feel this way again.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Good morning UK Gaffers and a happy Friday to you all!

So the black cloud that has been hanging over me for so long I feel is finally starting to lift. I handed my notice in yesterday, I only have to put up with 4 more weeks here (not even that due to bank holidays and holidays).

I have a hen night tomorrow, and another next Friday. I'm seeing my favourite band in just over a week, and the Fort William trip coming up soon.

Life is good my friends, and I'm so glad that I'm finally starting to feel this way again.

Oh that's great news. Did you get a new job then? I've not been reading this thread as closely as I should have recently!

I'm feeling that Good Life feel too. Got my new job, feeling like the man, kicking ass, taking names. It's gonna feel even better when I get the godamn money shower at the end of the month that is my new paycheck!

And what's you're favourite band called? I saw my favourite band, Slow Club in Guildford last week, was absolutely amazing. Seeing bands is cool, but seeing your FAVOURITE band is the shit.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Feel like I missed out never really being into band music growing up. Only gig I've ever been to is seeing Bob Dylan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom