• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh that's great news. Did you get a new job then? I've not been reading this thread as closely as I should have recently!

I'm feeling that Good Life feel too. Got my new job, feeling like the man, kicking ass, taking names. It's gonna feel even better when I get the godamn money shower at the end of the month that is my new paycheck!

And what's you're favourite band called? I saw my favourite band, Slow Club in Guildford last week, was absolutely amazing. Seeing bands is cool, but seeing your FAVOURITE band is the shit.

Yeah I got a new job, doing the same thing on the same money but the company and people just seem a lot nicer.

Good for you too man, I'm glad your new job is going well. New jobs are awesome!

My favourite band is The Rasmus. This will be the fifth time I'll have seen them, unfortunately they don't come over here much. The last gig 4 years ago I was lucky enough to be pulled up on stage to sing with them, I don't think anything could ever top that!

Xun

I'm a production assistant for a television studio. Bottom of the run at the moment so it's almost exclusively transcribing.
Ah right.

Well good luck bro!

Feel like I missed out never really being into band music growing up. Only gig I've ever been to is seeing Bob Dylan.
Nothing stopping you from changing that man.

Just make sure to go to a bunch of gigs.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Feel like I missed out never really being into band music growing up. Only gig I've ever been to is seeing Bob Dylan.

There is no excuse for this. In your town there is bound to be a local venue with unknown bands playinjg. Head on down, check out what the kids are doing these days. I used to go to live stuff all the time but grew out of it a little. But I still love to see a band once a month or so, and playing shows is even more fun.

The problem with live music is that there is so much bad stuff. But every now and then you'll see something amazing, and you will have a new favourite band and it will be amazing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There is no excuse for this. In your town there is bound to be a local venue with unknown bands playinjg. Head on down, check out what the kids are doing these days. I used to go to live stuff all the time but grew out of it a little. But I still love to see a band once a month or so, and playing shows is even more fun.

Guess I have no excuse when this is my local venue

SmokyDave

http://www.neogafbans.com/#/user/J Tourettes

Guess he was playing with fire using that term even if Wiki agrees and says it, along with chav, is British slang for those of low social class.

That's fucked up.

"Pikey's most common contemporary use is not as a term for the Gypsy ethnic group, but as a catch-all phrase to refer to people, of any ethnic group, who travel around with no fixed abode."

Hope it's not a long one because that's deeply unfair given that the synonym 'chav' isn't bannable (nor should it be). Same for 'redneck'.

This, however, is why none of us should post in those threads.

This would be like me banning an Italian person, discussing a local Italian subgroup in unfavourable terms, for apparently being racist. I don't understand these cultural elements, so why on earth would I feel justified in banning somebody for discussing them?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
All my assignments handed in! Gotta get revising but i'm gonna enjoy my weekend first, starting with league 1 playoffs.

Any other weekend plans, GAF?

Suairyu

Banned
That's great to hear, Musha! I know the feeling you're going through.

That's fucked up.

"Pikey's most common contemporary use is not as a term for the Gypsy ethnic group, but as a catch-all phrase to refer to people, of any ethnic group, who travel around with no fixed abode."

Hope it's not a long one because that's deeply unfair given that the synonym 'chav' isn't bannable (nor should it be). Same for 'redneck'.

This, however, is why none of us should post in those threads.
So contest it. Get in touch with the mods.

Better yet, J Tourettes (I know you're reading this): email Evilore. He overturns stuff occasionally.

It's a three month ban, which I feel is quite harsh, too.

Also, you can post in those threads if you remain level headed. I think a ban of three months is silly, but I can't deny that saying "pikey" is a dumb as fuck thing to do.

Do as I say, not as I do!

I feel genuinely aggrieved that we lost two good guys in there. Next time I'm going to suicide on page 1 so people can talk about that rather than the actual topic.

You sound like my mum.

And it's 3 guys now Dave, Jill, Dalin and Tourettes. 3 brave souls who will be fondly remembered in our hearts.

That's a crazy amount of bans.

I avoided the thread like the plague. No matter how witty or informative the reply I had in my head was, there was no way I posting in there.

Suairyu

Banned
Pikey is an ethnic slur? Since when does a class divide == ethnicity?
Since US mods watched "Snatch".

Not that class slurs should be considered better :p

That's a crazy amount of bans.

I avoided the thread like the plague. No matter how witty or informative the reply I had in my head was, there was no way I posting in there.
Ignore the witty ones.

If you have a genuinely informative reply, post it without fear.

Empty

That's great to hear, Musha! I know the feeling you're going through.

So contest it. Get in touch with the mods.

Better yet, J Tourettes (I know you're reading this): email Evilore. He overturns stuff occasionally.

It's a three month ban, which I feel is quite harsh, too.

Also, you can post in those threads if you remain level headed. I think a ban of three months is silly, but I can't deny that saying "pikey" is a dumb as fuck thing to do.

a good way to appeal also is to contact stumpokapow on twitter. (just type stumpokapow twitter into google and follow him) and make your case there. i know he's reduced ban lengths in the past and is generally fair and understanding; i'm pretty sure i've seen him post about encouraging people to appeal if they feel they were ill-treated.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Pikey is an ethnic slur? Since when does a class divide == ethnicity?

Pikey is definitely a slur. I know this because my traveller uncle would beat the shit out of anyone that said it in earshot. Not exactly helping the stereotype but...

It's a class thing only insomuch as you don't get middle class travellers, so it definitely refers to a working or underclass. But using it is also a dick move, so bannings are kinda fair IMO.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I checked the Brixton Academy site and half the bands I haven't heard of and the other half consists of groups like Limp Bizkit who I wouldn't go to see even if you paid me to.

There's one group called Happy Mondays listed who are playing on a Friday, Saturday and Thursday. Can't even stick to their own name. Where's my incentive to see them after looking at that poor display of inconsistency?

SmokyDave

Pikey is definitely a slur. I know this because my traveller uncle would beat the shit out of anyone that said it in earshot. Not exactly helping the stereotype but...

It's a class thing only insomuch as you don't get middle class travellers, so it definitely refers to a working or underclass. But using it is also a dick move, so bannings are kinda fair IMO.

Pikey is a slur, sure, but is it an ethnic slur?

Would you consider a ban for 'chav' or 'redneck' to be fair? What about 'manchild'?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency in what is deemed 'offensive'.

Suairyu

Banned
Actually, are there any mods from the UK? I can't think of any. Probably wouldn't hurt having one.
Stump, though these days he's based in Canada.

Would you consider a ban for 'chav' or 'redneck' to be fair? What about 'manchild'?

Chav can refer as much to a look or attitude as it can the class, though.

And yeah, there's little consistency, but that's how it is in life. I'd get up in arms about someone being called "nigger", but I'd just think the person was an idiot if they said "cracker". "Oriental" literally means "someone from the orient" in Britain, yet in the States is as offensive as fuck.

Just err on the side of caution.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I posted it before in this thread so J Tourettes knew about it. Of course the Evilore page is a joke, but regular member pages should be filled in by the member in question.

You could try the IRC room: #ga@studio64.yi.org

I got banned from there for no reason.

Well I checked the Brixton Academy site and half the bands I haven't heard of and the other half consists of groups like Limp Bizkit who I wouldn't go to see even if you paid me to.

There's one group called Happy Mondays listed who are playing on a Friday, Saturday and Thursday. Can't even stick to their own name. Where's my incentive to see them after looking at that poor display of inconsistency?
trolling-limp-bizkit-by-zantho-o.gif

Limp Bizkit had some serious tunes back in the day.

Around my parts, it's just another word for someone of poor moral turpitude. There's really no ethnicity to it. It's used like the word "scumbag".

The fuck? Tenacious D are playing in June. Go see them ya loon.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Well, I can only go by my experience, but my experience is that people in the traveller community find the word Pikey to be super offensive. It is, to put it bluntly, their nigger. And all I know is that if a group of people find a word upsetting, don't use it about them. Seems fair to me.

I think that chav is a problematic word too, since it's moved out of traveller vocab and is just used to represent the underclass now. Which in itself is not exactly a good thing. We should just drop the pretence and call chavs pitifulscarystupidpoorwhitecunts.

SmokyDave

I was about to further the slur discussion but then I realised I'd just been reading a post by a user called 'Beaner' in a different topic. Fuck it.

The fuck? Tenacious D are playing in June. Go see them ya loon.
SECONDED. They are excellent live, looking forward to seeing them again on the 9th June!

Hope ya'll have a good weekend (glad to hear you've only got a few weeks left at the Hellhole Musha), and keep away from the ban hammer :( I've restrained from posting in the UK-Gaf Thread of Mass Suicide, but after reading some of your posts, Suairyu, I think you made the best point there and yes, a 3-month ban for using the "P" word seems a bit harsh. Likewise to Snoop, it's used here as an akin to "scumbag"...

Appeal J - APPEAL that sentance!

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Lol at the ban hammer hammering uk townspeople gaf in the traveller thread. Chinner add kentpaul12 on steam im downloading arma 2 n shit for the dayz mod at home right now. (I'm away from home making a living right now so I won't be able to play till tonight)

Accept me back into the thread guys I have Learned my lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom