• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
Completely forgot I did this a few years back, but its awesome that they still run it. Kinda a waste of tax-payer money, but if they're offering it I might as well take advantage of it.
Anything that encourages young people to get tested and treated is categorically not a waste of taxpayer money.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Up until damn near 3am because I was putting together an 80s pop compilation.

Time well spent.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Sitting in car baked yesterday I noticed were all tagged like fucking animals (reg plates). Also hitting Wetherspoons. today with a few fiends this time to get wasted. Going to get a greesy kabab at the end of the session. Also lol going to keep playing my arms 2 oa story line with a good drink in me. (that will be fun).

I also noticed while in the car that the entire system is a chain and of there's one weak link on the chains life's are lost and chaos insures.

Up until damn near 3am because I was putting together an 80s pop compilation.

Time well spent.

Was this for a particular purpose or just for the giggles?

In other news, Happy Friday BritGaffers!

I'm off to a hen night tonight, basically the girl organising is having everyone over to her house and has invited a beautitian over to give us all treatments. I've gone for the spray tan. I'd like to point out that I am so not the beauty therapy type of girl, I rarely do my nails, doing my hair means brushing it, I never wear make up day to day only when I go out, and apart from naturally tanning on holiday (which rarely happens because I am extremely pale and more likely to burn) I've never had a fake tan or sunbed or anything. This will be an interesting experiment to say the least. Depending on the results there may be pictures later.

Kentpaul

Ahh spray tan! I can See the orange glow from scotland.

Smh book a 3 day trip to spain and get the real deal.

Kentpaul

Give Kentpaul a makeover.

I'm fine with my looks thanks. Apart from a single fucking zit that appeared on the side of my forehead, I blame the pizza I had the night before. It's nearly gone now.

Speaking of looks my awesome new Tshirt will be getting worn tonight. A mix of pink floyds dark side of the moon/80s cyberpunk going on with it. Also nice short sleeves out my muscles into full display.

Musha don't forget before and after pics. I want to put my faketan theory to the test.

Cindres

You could have been watching Community!

I watched them all just now!

Was this for a particular purpose or just for the giggles?

In other news, Happy Friday BritGaffers!

I'm off to a hen night tonight, basically the girl organising is having everyone over to her house and has invited a beautitian over to give us all treatments. I've gone for the spray tan. I'd like to point out that I am so not the beauty therapy type of girl, I rarely do my nails, doing my hair means brushing it, I never wear make up day to day only when I go out, and apart from naturally tanning on holiday (which rarely happens because I am extremely pale and more likely to burn) I've never had a fake tan or sunbed or anything. This will be an interesting experiment to say the least. Depending on the results there may be pictures later.

I started youtubing Eurythmics and decided I'd collect all these songs together so I could stop youtubing them.

SmokyDave

GAF is pretty boring today. It's making my friday go even slower.

Yeah, I get those days too. When you just look at the topic list and think "come on people, entertain me!".

I think there are other websites out there for filling those gaps but I can't be arsed to go and find out. My internet is limited to 'GAF' and 'Naked Ladies'.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
You could have been watching Community!

Is there a way to watch live US telly from then UK?

I've been intrigued by the idea for as long as I can remember. Their TV is so odd, I would like to see it unfold, with all the weirdly hectoring ads and superfast voiceovers, and the shows so shitty that nobody would export them. I know you can watch the UK freeview channels online, is there a similar doohickey for the states?

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Should be getting Max Payne today.

Also kinda want to get snakebites except that they probably wouldn't suit me at all. And of course the whole "big needles through your face thing" which I'm not a fan of.

Everyone is in the pub apart from me and one other lady. I have no work of importance to do. I am mindlessly trawling the internet bored out of my skull. I think I may be about to fall asleep at my desk.

WAKE UP GAF

And keep me awake while you're at it!

Anyone wanna play 20 questions or something?

what does the holocaust and my girlfriend have in common?

I'm trying to come up with a punchline. BUT JUST CAN'T.

And small update. Went to Salford yesterday, didn't die. Media City is impressive in that it's all shiny but then it's essentially surrounded by a shithhole. Got a photo with a TARDIS and had a nice meal so was good.

GF is off to see her parents for the weekend. HOME ALONE. I now feel like I can't be arsed to take care of myself and cook as normal and should just order pizza. And that 5 minute walk to Tesco? Involves getting dressed.

And I might have now finished uni, but I'm not giving up the student lifestyle just yet.

Kentpaul

I'm drinking some strongbow on an emtpy stomoach, Had to deal with MAGGOT infested ROTTING dog food at work... yeah i won't be eating for a while.

Wish i could get the horrible images out of my mind

If you're not turned onto the real world, the real world will turn on you.

Edit: works as a creepy chatup line too. "If you're not turned onto me, then I will turn on you"

Haha. I've got a little bit of time before having to go full time in to stuff, doing part time stuff freelance and bits and bobs at the uni. Having a little break for the first real time in two and a half years is quite nice.

Kentpaul

Blasting scooter ramp while drinking strongbow.

Life is good today and every day

UK > REST OF WORLD.

My favourite chat up line, which has always worked flawlessly:

yDThv.png

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
CHEEZMO™;37986241 said:
Should be getting Max Payne today.

Also kinda want to get snakebites except that they probably wouldn't suit me at all. And of course the whole "big needles through your face thing" which I'm not a fan of.

I was thinking you meant snakebites as in the delicious cider/lager combo drink. Get snakebites to drink, but don't put any foreign objects in your face.

SKINNER!

Banned
Having a little break for the first real time in two and a half years is quite nice.

Good man! always best to have a little break before taking the big leap. Wished i took a year between the last year of uni and first year of full-time work. Im kinda making up for it by at least going on holiday twice a year.

Cindres

Pastebin/screenshot kthx.

This still isn't finished, will add more and shuffle it around as I go. Had a 3 song limit on artists who had a few hits, which Is why I'm yet to add MJ. Most electro-ey pop stuff, bit off cheese, etc.

Code:
1. Kool & The Gang - Celebration
2. Blondie - Call Me
3. George Michael - Faith
4. Lipps Inc. - Funky Town
5. Spandau Ballet - Gold
6. Blondie - Heart Of Glass
7. A Flock Of Seagulls - I Ran
8. The Human League - Don't You Want Me
9. Depeche Mode - I Just Can't Get Enough
10. Culture Club - Do You Reall Want To Hurt Me
11. Kool & The Gang - Get Down On It
12. Van Halen - Jump
13. Gary Numan - Cars
14. ABC - The Look Of Love
15. Aneka - Japanese Boy
16. Men At Work - Down Under
17. Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World
18. ABC - Poison Arrow
19. Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams
20. Soft Cell - Tainted Love
21. Toto - Africa
22. B52's - Love Shack
23. Tears For Fears - Shout
24. Ultravox - Vienna
25. Culture Club - Karma Chameleon
26. Fleetwood Mac - Sweet Little Lies
27. Wham! - Wake Me Up Before You Go Go
28. Men Without Hats - The Safety Dance
29. Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart Again
30. A-Ha - Take On Me
31. Devo - Whip It
32. Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus
33. Tears For Fears - Mad World
34. The Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star
35. Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up

I can see this starting a bit of a debate and some flaming from ones that i've missed.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
This still isn't finished, will add more and shuffle it around as I go. Had a 3 song limit on artists who had a few hits, which Is why I'm yet to add MJ. Most electro-ey pop stuff, bit off cheese, etc.

Code:
1. Kool & The Gang - Celebration
2. Blondie - Call Me
3. George Michael - Faith
4. Lipps Inc. - Funky Town
5. Spandau Ballet - Gold
6. Blondie - Heart Of Glass
7. A Flock Of Seagulls - I Ran
8. The Human League - Don't You Want Me
9. Depeche Mode - I Just Can't Get Enough
10. Culture Club - Do You Reall Want To Hurt Me
11. Kool & The Gang - Get Down On It
12. Van Halen - Jump
13. Gary Numan - Cars
14. ABC - The Look Of Love
15. Aneka - Japanese Boy
16. Men At Work - Down Under
17. Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World
18. ABC - Poison Arrow
19. Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams
20. Soft Cell - Tainted Love
21. Toto - Africa
22. B52's - Love Shack
23. Tears For Fears - Shout
24. Ultravox - Vienna
25. Culture Club - Karma Chameleon
26. Fleetwood Mac - Sweet Little Lies
27. Wham! - Wake Me Up Before You Go Go
28. Men Without Hats - The Safety Dance
29. Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart Again
30. A-Ha - Take On Me
31. Devo - Whip It
32. Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus
33. Tears For Fears - Mad World
34. The Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star
35. Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up

I can see this starting a bit of a debate and some flaming from ones that i've missed.

You should work for Eagle Radio, the local radio in Surrey. That read likes their daily playlist, give or take a couple of actually good songs.

I hate them

I'm now sitting in my office, listening to the 2000-song mix that I made from my record collection, it makes 7 years of listening to shite in my old office worth it. Now I have control of the sound! muhahaha! No more shitty 80s music for me :D

SKINNER!

Banned
Solid list of 80s tracks there Cindres. Personally, I'd add Roxette's "The Look" and Duran Duran's "A View to a Kill" to give it that extra "80s cheese" feel.

Cindres

Solid list of 80s tracks there Cindres. Personally, I'd add Roxette's "The Look" and Duran Duran's "A View to a Kill" to give it that extra "80s cheese" feel.

Holy fuck I have NO Duran Duran on here, how did I miss that?
I'm gonna add Rio and Girls On Film though.

Not so sure about Roxette ;)

SKINNER!

Banned
Holy fuck I have NO Duran Duran on here, how did I miss that?
I'm gonna add Rio and Girls On Film though.

Not so sure about Roxette ;)

you're welcome. I noticed the lack of Duran Duran but decided to be polite and not point it out.

Dude, Roxette were like the poor man's Blondie. So if Blondie is on there then you just gotta!

Also, Europe were the poor man's Guns 'N' Roses yet I still prefer Europe over GNR.

Was Ace of Base 80s? "All That She Wants" does sound 80s. hmm....

SmokyDave

No 80's compilation is worth my time without 'Beastie Boys - The New Style'.

Oh, and 'Jermaine Stewart - We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off'.

Xun

It is but you'll eventually get the hang of it and it'll be just like a riding a bike. I passed my test back in 2006 (in manual) but have been driving an automatic car until 1 month ago when I got a new car. At first I was slowly remembering all the little things like the handbrake and changing down gears but now I just do it without thinking.

It becomes second nature to you after a while. You develop muscle memory for things like change gears and being easy on the clutch and all that. Once you get that down, it's a tonne of fun.

Freaked me out at first too. I remember panicking before the first lesson, thinking the instructor would expect me to know everything for some reason. Spent most of the lesson looking at the different parts of the car, cockpit drill, mirrors, blind spot etc, then at the end, he drove with his dual controls, and I just steered down an empty road.

You get used to everything though, like anything it is practice. Saying that, I managed to fail my first two practical tests.

You'll get used to it. It sounds strange but it becomes force of habit and eventually you'll be changing gears and things without realising it.

I find it harder to drive the way they teach you, over the way I'm used to. One hand on the wheel, left hand resting on stick.

It's easy once you know how. I passed my test in 2007 and my motorcycle test in 2009. I currently own and drive both. I think everybody who drives a car should be forced to take motorcycle lessons (not really). They're quite the eye opener and give people an incite as to what it's like to be on a bike, certainly makes you a better more careful car driver.
Changing gears I'm somewhat fine with, but starting/stopping/turning just feel incredibly alien to me at the moment. I'm especially having trouble feeding the wheel back to the neutral position.

Is it normal to not really enjoy your first lesson? I really want to know how to drive, but the whole experience just left me even more nervous/daunted than before.

Whether or not she said it for encouragement, she did say I was starting to learn faster than most people, and that I'd probably not need the average amount of lessons.

Changing gears I'm somewhat fine with, but starting/stopping/turning just feel incredibly alien to me at the moment. I'm especially having trouble feeding the wheel back to the neutral position.

Is it normal to not really enjoy your first lesson? I really want to know how to drive, but the whole experience just left me even more nervous/daunted than before.

Whether or not she said it for encouragement, she did say I was starting to learn faster than most people, and that I'd probably not need the average amount of lessons.
Feeding the wheel, in my opinion, is a nightmare and feels completely unnatural. I'd say the vast majority of people never do it after they pass their test. I palm steer all the time and it's just 100% easier and more comfortable. Obviously instructors will tell you it's unsafe but I can't ever recall getting in to trouble steering this way. Also, it's easy and fast to stick an extra hand on the wheel if need be.

It will all come to you eventually.

Good luck.

SKINNER!

Banned

oh yeah, very normal. Unless your dad like had an airfield and he allowed you to drive his Bugatti during your childhood then you are suppose to find your first couple of lessons a little daunting. Trust me, you'll look back at that question after a month and laugh :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom