• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleepey

To be fair Al Jazeera were called the mouthpiece of Al Qaeda by Lui can understand his caution surrounding them. But Bush has been mostly full of shit.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Preparing for a hike folks! A epic morning strill with a joint. This is some lord of the rings shit right here.

Fuck yes. Give me a hug Suairyu and is dave banned lol i ain't seen him post in ages

SmokyDave

Good morning chaps!

Preparing for a hike folks! A epic morning strill with a joint. This is some lord of the rings shit right here.

Fuck yes. Give me a hug Suairyu and is dave banned lol i ain't seen him post in ages

I've had the flu :(

Fuck being ill in summer :(

Aww feel better Dave!

So it's been a beautiful weekend, it's gonna be a beautiful week, with a four day weekend, then my last day in this hell hole before 5 days in Fort Bill. Life is beautiful.

Also just found out the bloke's sister is having a little girl, he's going to be a (proper) uncle for the first time!

Aww feel better Dave!

So it's been a beautiful weekend, it's gonna be a beautiful week, with a four day weekend, then my last day in this hell hole before 5 days in Fort Bill. Life is beautiful.

Also just found out the bloke's sister is having a little girl, he's going to be a (proper) uncle for the first time!

According to BBC and Yahoo it's gonna be pissing from Wednesday :|

Mr. Sam

Feel better, Dave. Hay fever is currently making my eyes itch, and I'm sneezing like I had the bubonic plague. I'll soon be stepping out to see Moonrise Kingdom, so hopefully my Superdrug anti-allergies stuff will be kicking in shortly.

Think I've got little touch of hayfever today. Eyes are all watery and whatnot. It's either that or I'm manically depressed but I'm going swimming this evening so it can't be the latter. Swimming is rad.

The recent BBC Panaroma program covered the visible "entrenched" racism in Poland and Ukraine ahead of this summers European football tournament. Some parts in Europe, particularly in the East, there isn't as much of a multi-ethnic demographic as we have here in England and whilst yes we have critics of multiculturalism here, I am of the firm belief that if Britain wasn't multicultural we would have a bigger issue with racism; I think that mixture of groups ultimately does more good for society than bad and this nation is a testament to that in contrast to others

daviyoung

Banned
The UK is one of the most tolerant and accepting countries in the entire world. People are generally of good humour, nice to each other, sociable and willing to help those in need whether family, friends or strangers. The standard of education is high, we know history and geography pretty well. We understand politics to an acceptable level, we understand migration moves and wars. We don't have ethnic ghettos or shanties or favelas, we embrace diversity and yet we're still not happy with ourselves. British people are so self-critical and self-loathing it's unreal. Also, if it wasn't migrants the NHS would collapse.

I got back from seeing fam in Croatia and there is so little ethnic diversity (Albanian vs Serb is about as heated as it gets) it makes the UK look like some futurist utopia.

The UK is one of the most tolerant and accepting countries in the entire world. People are generally of good humour, nice to each other, sociable and willing to help those in need whether family, friends or strangers. The standard of education is high, we know history and geography pretty well. We understand politics to an acceptable level, we understand migration moves and wars. We don't have ethnic ghettos or shanties or favelas, we embrace diversity and yet we're still not happy with ourselves. British people are so self-critical and self-loathing it's unreal. Also, if it wasn't migrants the NHS would collapse.

I got back from seeing fam in Croatia and there is so little ethnic diversity (Albanian vs Serb is about as heated as it gets) it makes the UK look like some futurist utopia.

Really?, I can barely walk down the street here not get called a nigger by some random person in their car.

I've never been called that in my entire life here. Where do you live?

Derby. Pretty much everyone is a miserable fucker here, and the city is as mixed as any other out there.

One thing I will say is that I'm quite surprised at how tight the Africans and Poles are here, they're quite a few Polish clubs and Pubs and everyone seems to get along fine.

SKINNER!

Banned
I don't recall any racist situations that occured to me after high school. and even back in high scool it was more funny than offensive. 2 female neds walked past me once and started calling me Arnold Schwarzenegger repeatly and, particularly, heavily emphasing the last part of "Schwarzenegger". Btw, I wasn't working out back then so if it was intended to be a compliment or an invitation then it was a very terrible one. I just turned round, pretended to flex my muscles and kept walking...no wait, I think I ran.
The high school I was in was predominantly white and the neds were mostly focused on beating the shit out of the first year students and school kids from other "rival" schools instead of hating on minorities. Even when an offensive joke about blacks, jews or pakistanis were made it was always followed by a "omg! that's so racist." instead of a hate-filled reply. I suppose there were a few offensive remarks thrown around after 9/11 but that was expected. Interestingly, we had a Ghanaian student in our school and for the first 2 weeks he was a really popular kid (hanging around with questionable people. Them asking him awkward questions, feeling his hair/skin etc.) because he was the first and only black student at that time. If anything, homophobic statements were far more popular than racial ones.

lol, I'm now starting to remember all the hilariously crazy shit that happened back in high school.

Back to topic, I somewhat agree with what daviyoung said except for the politics part. Politics and Geography are the two topics that I would rarely ever talk about in public not because they are difficult/awkward topics but also because I only ever get a blank face or an ignorant statement in return. Seriously! Its scary how many people don't know what continent Bosnia and Herzegovina is in let alone where it is on a map or what happened there.

Yeah I had the being the only black kid for quite awhile growing up. Not a pleasant experience. Even in the Infants I had teachers picking me up and throwing me around, twisting my arm behind my back and then kicking my legs. In primary getting called black this and black that in front of other students. Teachers openly lying to get me into trouble in secondary school. Things slightly improved growing up, but even in college I got some weird comments from lecturers.

The average person still says going to the Paki shop or getting a Chinky here like it's nothing.

SKINNER!

Banned
The average person still says going to the Paki shop or getting a Chinky here like it's nothing.

You got husbands with kids in their 40s and 50s at work here using that term and mimicing the accents. Usually the other older work colleagues would laugh while myself and the other young employee would just look down in embaressment. They noticed this one day and now start to apologise after using the word and say "Your generation is so uptight and politically correct"

EDIT: Interestingly, they never have anything bad to say about gay people.

Yeah I had the being the only black kid for quite awhile growing up. Not a pleasant experience. Even in the Infants I had teachers picking me up and throwing me around, twisting my arm behind my back and then kicking my legs. In primary getting called black this and black that in front of other students. Teachers openly lying to get me into trouble in secondary school. Things slightly improved growing up, but even in college I got some weird comments from lecturers.

That stuff about the teachers is seriously fucked up!! wow

When I was younger, I did see racism a bit more in kids, not infants and primary school -- people were too carefree to differentiate in my schools at that age, but in secondary school - some people could be quite horrible. I'm glad to say that most of the people who were responsible, I still see from time to time and they've grown up... but I would never doubt its still a problem in some parts of the country, and I'd have hated to have been a victim to it myself, I have every sympathy for people who have been. This generation has a great responsibility to bring their kids up better so it can die off with the dinosaurs.

Derby is a damn weird area, from the city centre and a few places outwards things are fine, but the further out you go, it's like fuck. Then you get to Nottingham down the road, which may as well be another country when you see the contrast in people there. I remember getting lost, and some random delivery man offered to give me a lift, strangers talk to you in the shops. People seem more approachable in general, whereas in Derby the only people that are okay to me is people not from Derby originally.

Maybe I over analyse the city too much being born here, but it's a strange place. It's not like my relationships with other Black people born here are any better really, who are far too quick to judge other blacks more so than any white people to be honest.

In short I hate the damn place.

Growing up in a small village in Wales with a handful of kids from ethnic minorities in a school of a few hundred, we had no racism at all. Anyone belonging to any ethnic minority was not even regarded as such, they weren't seen or treated as being any different.

Move to London where Multi-culturism is (apparently) encouraged and applauded, and I have seen far more racism here, not just from white people either. I have been subject to racism from a group of black people. It works both ways.

Growing up in a small village in Wales with a handful of kids from ethnic minorities in a school of a few hundred, we had no racism at all. Anyone belonging to any ethnic minority was not even regarded as such, they weren't seen or treated as being any different.

Move to London where Multi-culturism is (apparently) encouraged and applauded, and I have seen far more racism here, not just from white people either. I have been subject to racism from a group of black people. It works both ways.

I think that pretty much wholly comes down to sample size, to be honest.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

That's an interesting idea. When i was at school there was one black kid and maybe about 6 asian kids, and there was never any racism that I saw. If anything, we protected these guys and anyone being a racist would have found themselves a lot bloodier very shortly later.

I wonder if the idea of tokenism actually helped some minorities in past generations? Where that one black kid is accepted wholly not in spite of differences but because he was different, the white kids made a special effort to make him feel part of the gang, which is where you have these black guys in their 40s who are really well integrated. But of course it's not sustainable, since eventually there will be more minorities, and they'll band together and then there will be opposing gangs. And at that point, the black and white kids don't integrate because they're on opposing teams.

Nowadays there are massive numbers of Nepalese kids at my local schools and apparently there are massive problems with race and gang violence, something that never happened when I was a kid.

Gotta say, the locality I live in is majority made up of typically ethnic minorty groups, so in retrospect I guess that makes ME part of the minority in our neighbourhood?

Actually walking home from work last week a young boy (must have been about 8-10) commented on my "black bitches' ass" as I got to the corner of my street where about 6 of them were loitering...

The group consisted of black AND white kids, all of whom laughed. So, was that racist or not? (I'm about 80% sure it was one of the white boys that shouted it)

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking warm out there. The car was trying to give me some bullshit about no air-con and a face full of hot air so a bit of button mashing fixed that.

tensoilyb1.gif

The problem with London in this regard is that ethnic groups are too densely populated in concentrated areas. You have towns where its largely Pakistani/Bengali and Indian and towns were its largely African and towns where its largely Afro-Caribbean; they are segregated. I've seen the latter two not get along in some examples. I remember in secondary school kids getting mocked for being African by other black kids who were from the Caribbean. Because of lower incomes within those demographics, its difficult for them to 'spread out' into more prominent areas and really mix with white neighbours which would be the ideal thing.

Kentpaul

Hanging out in the yard drinking vodka slush puppies and cooking on the BBQ, sultans of swing is on the cd player (ain't got an iPod deck out today)

Mr. Sam

Holy fucking shit. That's unreal.

Thankfully, I've never heard either of these except on Peep Show. "Do you want to order something from the Chinky, Jeremy? Or perhaps something from the Paki shop?"

Holy fucking shit. That's unreal.

Thankfully, I've never heard either of these except on Peep Show. "Do you want to order something from the Chinky, Jeremy? Or perhaps something from the Paki shop?"

It wasn't uncommon talking early 80's here. I've seen other kids get worse, especially some of the Irish lads. One lad got a chair kicked into his nose, his dad turned up the next day and battered the teacher senseless. It's only in hindsight where I think, fucking hell I had it quite bad.

Hanging out in the yard drinking vodka slush puppies and cooking on the BBQ, sultans of swing is on the cd player (ain't got an iPod deck out today)

Sounds awesome. I hate you.
I don't hate you. I'm just kidding and a bit jelly

Are you still unemployed? I hope I have the right poster in mind when I say that... I'm set to join you at the end of June, if I'm thinking of the right person.

Kentpaul

Sounds awesome. I hate you.
I don't hate you. I'm just kidding and a bit jelly

Are you still unemployed? I hope I have the right poster in mind when I say that... I'm set to join you at the end of June, if I'm thinking of the right person.

lol ain't had money issue in 9 months (I'm a janitor for an asda warehouse)

IN LOVE WITH BIG BILLZ

Qasiel

Had my bike stolen today. Cleaned that bad boy up yesterday, put some nice new tyres on it this morning and someone nicked it at a CCTV heavy train station. Sadly, I don't have too much faith in our police to actually get it back. I was having such a nice day drinking beer with a mate I haven't seen in ages, too.

Kentpaul

Had my bike stolen today. Cleaned that bad boy up yesterday, put some nice new tyres on it this morning and someone nicked it at a CCTV heavy train station. Sadly, I don't have too much faith in our police to actually get it back. I was having such a nice day drinking beer with a mate I haven't seen in ages, too.

Dem junkies like to come out in the summer

f0rk

I am beginning to regret building a good reputation for getting work done in a timely fashion.

Are you staying late again? In any reasonable workplace you should be able to talk to your line manager about doing time above and beyond what you are paid for.

Suairyu

Banned
Also, my contract got extended today because I'm good and stuffs.

Are you staying late again? In any reasonable workplace you should be able to talk to your line manager about doing time above and beyond what you are paid for.
No. No chance for overtime this week because everyone has to leave by 6pm due to security something or other. That's part of the problem!

I've smuggled some work home now (extremely naughty of me, as some of this is police property we're using for a show about police stuffs) to try and get it done.

The end result of my hard work is two things:
1 - People above my pay grade who I've never really met have heard nothing but good things about me.
2 - I have three editors all saying they've got work for me and they need it doing asap.

Luckily, I'm having surgery soon and that means a forced two week 'holiday'. It's going to be heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom