• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh actually I've got a London based gaming question now. Do Gamestation stores actually, like, exist in this place? I've not seen one since I got here, but I understand the one that used to be on Camden High St has been shut down. I only ask because I've got a gift voucher to use up before they go out of business :/

Bus went on diversion this morning and I had no idea how long a diversion it would be going on, so I just got on the tube at Edgeware Road instead. Do they usually just miss out a couple of stops and add a few minutes to the journey? Ended up costing me an extra £2.70, so I probably just won't bother in the future.

[edit] Regarding draught lager, I just avoid it completely. Only time I've had one since being in London was when I got dragged to Koko last month and someone bought me a drink. There's always cider around if there's no ale, so that's far more preferable.

Closest one to you is in Wood Green or Walthamstow.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Grabbed all the new kit kats today. And two peanut butter ones. The others aren't bad but they'll never hold a candle to my beloved peanut butter kit kats.

Lirlond

zFfgG.jpg

:lol

Lirlond

Ah. Sorry, it made me laugh, wasn't really making a statement, I just assumed it fit the UK guys more than the rest of the board.

I just got a job in London so I will be looking be move there later this year. I am commuting from Warwick at the moment which takes 1hr 20m to get into Marylebone. I am working in Shoreditch.

What are the nicer places to live nearby that aren't a billion pounds? Will be looking for a 3 bedroom house. And no, I am not expecting to live in Soho or anywhere like that, more like Dagenham distance etc. Something up to an hour is fine really.

Any recommendations?

Glad that's settled.

Everyone up for the rugby tomorrow?

Calcutta cup! Come on England!

It'll be interesting to see how Wales do. I have ticket for the England vs Wales game at Twickenham via the bank, I just don't want to go and watch England lose as the Welsh are always really fired up, all I heard for three years at university was "as long as we beat the English".

Yami

Where do you live: Hounslow, London
Where are you from: Same as above
University: Brunel University
Sports team of choice: Bleh
Current political party of choice: Bleh
Barm, batch, cob or bun: What?
Favourite (current) UK TV show: The usual panel shows these days
Oasis or Blur: Oasis

Bring on the snow!

Lol my uni.

Yami

Alright, it's Friday night, what's UK GAF up to?

I've started on my litre bottle of Absolut Vodka in preparation for a night of shenanigans with some friends. Should be goooood, haha.

I've started on my litre bottle of Absolut Vodka in preparation for a night of shenanigans with some friends. Should be goooood, haha.

Going to see the Chemical Brothers film/gig at the cinema tonight, fucking can't wait!

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan

Sitting in my room reading GAF.

Making pizza, then chilling, too tired to go out, I worked 65h this week, and I might have to go in tomorrow as well. D:

SmokyDave

Well, it's ten past seven, I'm hammered, my dealer is messing me around and I haven't hit the actual party yet. Not only that, but I'm 20 minutes away from the party and the missus just texted to say I'm dead if I'm not there in ten.

I fucking love Fridays :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Arrived in Sweden and watching the ending of 2012 with my grandfather. Yeah it's a terrible movie.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I'm getting very stoned and watching tv with the missus. Yay friday!!

SmokyDave

Getting your excuse in early eh? :p

Damned right.

Just hit the party, late. Funny how the only person that cares is my missus. She sees me all the fucking time, why should she care?

Oh well, happy Friday my UK brethren.

Edit: Jedeye, I'm jealous as fuck. Fancy swapping for a night in a comedy club with a pissed off missus?

Edit edit: missus now drunk, dealer dropped off an arfur, all is well with the world. Now planning my early hours Gran Turismo session.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I saw The Iron Lady. It's a bit of an odd film, because you're probably not going to change your opinion of Thatcher from watching it. I think she was one of the worst PMs of the century, but at the end I just felt pity for an old woman with dementia. Meryl Streep was amazing, the direction was kind of crap though.

kharma45

I saw The Iron Lady. It's a bit of an odd film, because you're probably not going to change your opinion of Thatcher from watching it. I think she was one of the worst PMs of the century, but at the end I just felt pity for an old woman with dementia. Meryl Streep was amazing, the direction was kind of crap though.

It spent far too much time on her dementia and not enough on her as an actual politician.

Streep was very, very good though. The only redeeming thing it had.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Haven't seen it yet but, if you don't mind me asking, were you around at the time?

Empty

it was a frustrating film because there's lots of good acting talent for the director to toy with and plenty of interesting stuff to cover with regard to thatcher, but it spreads itself so thin especially with such a short running time and ends up being incredibly shallow with massive events like the falklands or the miners strikes just rushed through as if they have no consequences for the characters. the only thing that's given any meaning is the later dementia and it's a bit one note and false in its ending. could do with a more focused direction and better writing - some of thatcher's dialogue in the flashbacks is dreadful.

I watched corrie and am now in bed watching tv, rock and roll!

Having a young kid does that though funnily I have no desire to be doing anything else

Woffls

Closest one to you is in Wood Green or Walthamstow.
Aye that's what the website has been telling me as well. Quite shocking they can't even get one in Zone 1/2. Didn't someone just get murdered in Wood Green? Might be avoiding that for now :p Just thought I might be able to use it online >_< much safer.

Meryl Streep's face is reaaallyyy starting to piss me off.

Meadows

Banned

Just drove from mine and my GF's flat in York to my parents in Llandudno for the weekend. Goin' on a nice walk around snowy Snowdon with the parents tomorrow while my GF stays at home and does her essay ;p.

At the moment just chilling out having some wine and beer with my parents and the missus (and the cat). It's all very 1950's nuclear family up in this biatch. (except with an asian girl)

Aye that's what the website has been telling me as well. Quite shocking they can't even get one in Zone 1/2. Didn't someone just get murdered in Wood Green? Might be avoiding that for now :p Just thought I might be able to use it online >_< much safer.

Meryl Streep's face is reaaallyyy starting to piss me off.

Yeah, someone was shot by Turnpike Lane station. Wood Green is a shithole that's best avoided unless necessary, although Hala on Green Lanes is worth a visit if you like grilled meats/Mediterranean food. The £14 platter is usually more than enough for two people and is tasty as fuck.

Nothing in London yet, but the weather says it will arrive at 10pm. Absolutely freezing conditions though. I'm going to leave work early.

Number45

-8 when I went out first thing this morning, no sign of any snow though.

Nothing in London yet, but the weather says it will arrive at 10pm. Absolutely freezing conditions though. I'm going to leave work early.
Yay, working overnight in London tonight. :(

Just helped me girlfriend move her stuff in Archway and I was fine when I was moving but once I stopped my hands and face started getting frozen. I hope he snows a fuckton tonight so I can get my baking tray out on Parliament Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom