• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So there's a high likelihood I'll be moving out of the country come Autumn, either to Taiwan (teaching English) or Australia (working holiday).

The government is putting up the non-EU sponsored job threshold at £31,000 and making it so that if you want to marry someone from outside the EU and they want to stay in the UK, either one of you has to earn over £25,000 a year.

Not happening, most graduate jobs are knocking around about £18,000 or £21,000 in London.

Gutted, first time a government decision has affected my life so deeply, actually started crying.

Fuck you Damien Green you slimy cunt.

(this affects my GF, who is from Taiwan by the way, she speaks absolutely perfect English (NZ accent), wants to pay her tax and contribute to the economy. She doesn't want to steal our benefits, she just wants to make a living here)

they going to apply that rule to natives too? Or EU immigrants?

Seems a bit unbalanced that any old chav can come here to work from Europe, but a highly skilled worker from outside can't come in. Which is more likely to require benefit support? which is more likely to contribute to the economy?

Sneds

Because Grayling is a complete arsehole.

This government have got no idea of how to control immigration, the HSMP system was better than what is being proposed, but really what we need is a list system whereby people from any blacklisted country cannot apply for any kind of visa for the UK (tourist or work). It's really that simple.

Can't even apply? Isn't that just descrimination based on nationality rather than skills and employability?

I have yet to see a single one of those Kit Kat Chunkies in a store. Admittedly I'm not looking that hard, but still. I@d be happy with either the peanut butter or orange ones. Remember when they used to have tubes of only orange Smarties? That was a glorious time.

I had the peanut butter and double chocolate ones the other day, peanut butter weren't as nice as I remembered them.

What really needs to return is the Peanut Butter Lion Bar, one of the best chocolate bars of all time.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
really what we need is a list system whereby people from any blacklisted country cannot apply for any kind of visa for the UK (tourist or work). It's really that simple.

Really, we don't. The law of unintended consequences would kick in bigtime when you put this listing in the hands of politicians and diplomats and let it be traded and negotiated over. Wars have been fought for less.

Mastadon

Banned
Why bother with these limited edition novelty chocolate bars, when there's a dedicated peanut butter chocolate bar that's clearly superior to them all?

GqWUI.jpg

Why bother with these limited edition novelty chocolate bars, when there's a dedicated peanut butter chocolate bar that's clearly superior to them all?

ggjt5l.jpg

Star Bar is great but makes me miss original Boost, as I remember they bought back Star Bar rebranded as the Peanut Boost quite a few years ago.

Original (coconut) boost was lovely.

SmokyDave

UK-GAF, I reach out to you. Would any of you happen to have a copy of 'Care' in any shape or form whatsoever?

I know it's a long shot but I've just sent my annual complaint to the BBC and it made me think of asking you chaps. Surely someone VHS'd this award winning drama on it's one and only showing?

It kills me that the BBC can distribute a billion shitty DVD's every year but they've never re-aired or re-distributed a powerful, award winning drama.

Woffls

Where do you live: Chalk Farm, London
Where are you from: Ringwood, Hampshire
University: University of Kent at Canterbury
Sports team of choice: uhh... the English cricket team?
Current political party of choice: Voted Lib Dem last time, couldn't give a fuck now.
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Cob.
Favourite (current) UK TV show: All I watch is reruns of Relocation, Relocation because UK TV is shit.
Oasis or Blur: Blur

FreeMufasa

PM me if you can kick a football and fancy a run around on Thursdays.

Aussie Rules?

I loved playing it at school and was really good at it. A shame they cancelled it after a few years. I really want to see a game when I go to Austrailia.

UK-GAF, I reach out to you. Would any of you happen to have a copy of 'Care' in any shape or form whatsoever?

I know it's a long shot but I've just sent my annual complaint to the BBC and it made me think of asking you chaps. Surely someone VHS'd this award winning drama on it's one and only showing?

It kills me that the BBC can distribute a billion shitty DVD's every year but they've never re-aired or re-distributed a powerful, award winning drama.

Oh I remember this! We all gathered to watch it. I was too young to completely understand though.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Might be worth dropping a line to Kieran Prendiville who wrote it. He's on LinkedIn.

SmokyDave

Might be worth dropping a line to Kieran Prendiville who wrote it. He's on LinkedIn.

I was debating getting hold of Kieran directly but I've gimped the Internet access here in the office so that Facebook, Twitter et al are blocked.

I'll join LinkedIn when I get home, thank you for the heads-up.

TCRS

Banned
Sex in a bottle love these and you forgot
533547b.jpg

Found this at the Sainsbury's in Epsom (Kiln lane). Gonna try it later today. Right now I'm going to drink Rockstar energy drink for the first time in my life. Yesterday I had Cadburys Cream Egg for the first time in me life (though I shouldn't have eaten two of them.. too much). A lot of firsts nowadays...

And also, Starbar is overrated. Just sayin.

Malden Road, if you know it? How about you?

I only moved in a month ago. Great place to live. Commuting to Hammersmith though, so I'm hoping to get a new job soon. As much as I like the 27's route, it takes an hour.

Jesus, right near me. I live on Gilden Crescent which is a little road just off Queens Crescent (the road with the crappy market on Thursday and Saturday).
I've been living In Chalk Farm for just over a year (lived in Tufnell Park for 3 years before that) and quite like it. Have you done much exploring yet and found the decent boozers that aren't on the main Camden high Road?

Woffls

Jesus, right near me. I live on Gilden Crescent which is a little road just off Queens Crescent.
I've been living In Chalk Farm for just over a year (lived in Tufnell Park for 3 years before that) and quite like it. Have you done much exploring yet and found the decent boozers that aren't on the main Camden high Road?
Nice, that's a 5 minute walk. All I've found that's worthy of mention is the Sir Robert Peel, which I'm sure you're familiar with. We went there for a pint on a Saturday night and it was practically empty at 10pm or so, and only £2.70 for a very good pint.

I'd sure appreciate some pointers to anywhere similar, but perhaps a little more lively. Had a quick one at Quinn's, which was fine; Wheelbarrow was an early morning thing so it was loud and crowded and I walked right out; Dublin Castle was similar at a much earlier hour but we had fun; Spread Eagle was great, with lots of space, but in the normal price bracket; The World's End is awesome, mostly because of the floor space and heavy music. Only ones I've been to so far.

Salazar

Aussie Rules?

Nar, indoor soccer.

I loved playing it at school and was really good at it. A shame they cancelled it after a few years. I really want to see a game when I go to Austrailia.

It can be damned entertaining when teams are determined to attack. When a team goes on the defensive, the game straight up dies.

Nice, that's a 5 minute walk. All I've found that's worthy of mention is the Sir Robert Peel, which I'm sure you're familiar with. We went there for a pint on a Saturday night and it was practically empty at 10pm or so, and only £2.70 for a very good pint.

I'd sure appreciate some pointers to anywhere similar, but perhaps a little more lively. Had a quick one at Quinn's, which was fine; Wheelbarrow was an early morning thing so it was loud and crowded and I walked right out; Dublin Castle was similar at a much earlier hour but we had fun; Spread Eagle was great, with lots of space, but in the normal price bracket; The World's End is awesome, mostly because of the floor space and heavy music. Only ones I've been to so far.

Depends what you're after.

The following pubs all have a similar vibe to The Peel although are less spit and sawdust:

Tapping The Admiral does a great range of beers but isn't that lively (although livelier than the Peel) and the food is nice.

The Pineapple is a bit further afield but is livelier than the Admiral and owned by the same people.

Southampton Arms is even further afield than the Pineapple but a very nice boozer with great food.

Richard Steele gets pretty lively and usually has a good atmosphere, wasn't too impressed with the new food offerings though

The Old Eagle is a bit closer to Camden than the previous two and has a very nice atmosphere.

Pembroke Castle has some great comedy nights for a reasonable price. You often get big name comics there prepping new material for nationwide shows.

As for Camden 'proper':

The Monarch can get very lively on a Friday and Saturday night but has a very young crowd (I'm 33 and felt way too old to be in there last time).

The Blackheart a bit pricey but massive range of beers and good music. Gets pretty lively on a Friday night, the staff can be shite though.

Fifty Five Bar has to be done in happy hour, where you can get two freshly made cocktails for eight quid. It lasts all evening on a Sunday so if you've ever got a Monday off, well worth it.

I assume you know the EdinboroCastle? Edinboro very pricey but a great beer garden make it a nice venue in the summer.

Those are the ones I frequent the most (and The Enterprise) but there are a few others that I'm undoubtedly forgetting.

Mastadon

Banned
Star Bar is great but makes me miss original Boost, as I remember they bought back Star Bar rebranded as the Peanut Boost quite a few years ago.

Original (coconut) boost was lovely.

I think coconut boost must have been before my time, it sounds incredible though.

SmokyDave

Remember Triang scooters? Those pressed-steel light blue monstrosities that removed the shins of anyone close to them?

Triang_scooter_1.jpg

Fuck Triang scooters.

Remember Triang scooters? Those pressed-steel light blue monstrosities that removed the shins of anyone close to them?

Fuck Triang scooters.

I had two. One at home when I lived in Catford back in the early 80's, and one at my nans in Nunhead.

My brother would come at me at full pelt. Bastard.

Woffls

Those are the ones I frequent the most (and The Enterprise) but there are a few others that I'm undoubtedly forgetting.

Woah, thanks for the list! I've been meaning to check out the Southampton Arms because of the guest ale selection; I'm going to keep your post bookmarked for research purposes :) Might pop down to one of them this evening.

Which one? I'm yet to see them at all in Cardiff.

Tesco Express on St Mary Street but they have stopped selling them now. Pretty sure I saw them in Tesco Extra on Western Avenue. The Peanut butter one is winning according to the Facebook page. I better be able to find a white one before the peanut butter one inevitably wins.

Woah, thanks for the list! I've been meaning to check out the Southampton Arms because of the guest ale selection; I'm going to keep your post bookmarked for research purposes :) Might pop down to one of them this evening.

No problem. Also, The Camden Town Brewery have just tweeted that they're doing tours on the 3rd March with free tastings and a sneak peak at the brewery bar they're opening at the end of March.

Woffls

No problem. Also, The Camden Town Brewery have just tweeted that they're doing tours on the 3rd March with free tastings and a sneak peak at the brewery bar they're opening at the end of March.
Aye I saw that after going to your Twitter profile. Will probably book this weekend. I hope they sell beer on draught there, as I hate buying bottled beer to drink at home.

When you next go up to Morrison's, assuming it's your local supermarket, try some Ringwood ales. £1.75 for Boondoggle or Old Thumper. Both happen to go down well in bottles, as well.

Aye I saw that after going to your Twitter profile. Will probably book this weekend. I hope they sell beer on draught there, as I hate buying bottled beer to drink at home.

When you next go up to Morrison's, assuming it's your local supermarket, try some Ringwood ales. £1.75 for Boondoggle or Old Thumper. Both happen to go down well in bottles, as well.

Cheers, I'll give them a look. I think the brewery bar is going to have their stuff on draught, at least that's what it sounds like on their FB page.

Meadows

Banned
There's a nice bar in central Manchester near the great Northern tower that does a pint of Carlsberg for...£1!!!

Haven't been in but fuck me that's cheap, it's a snazzy glass bar too.

Eh, carlsberg is my draught of choice, very few good beers on tap, especially in city pubs. It doesn't help that everywhere north of Carlisle dedicates a tap to the swill that is Tennants.

If I'm having one of the big lagers on tap, I tend to go for Becks Vier myself. I'd even go for a Fosters or a Carling before a Carlsberg.

Mastadon

Banned
Usually go for Peroni on draught if I have to have a big name beer. Tend to stick to local ales where possible though.

Any wine fans in the house?

Woffls

Oh actually I've got a London based gaming question now. Do Gamestation stores actually, like, exist in this place? I've not seen one since I got here, but I understand the one that used to be on Camden High St has been shut down. I only ask because I've got a gift voucher to use up before they go out of business :/

Bus went on diversion this morning and I had no idea how long a diversion it would be going on, so I just got on the tube at Edgeware Road instead. Do they usually just miss out a couple of stops and add a few minutes to the journey? Ended up costing me an extra £2.70, so I probably just won't bother in the future.

[edit] Regarding draught lager, I just avoid it completely. Only time I've had one since being in London was when I got dragged to Koko last month and someone bought me a drink. There's always cider around if there's no ale, so that's far more preferable.

Raxel

Where do you live: Hounslow, London
Where are you from: Same as above
University: Brunel University
Sports team of choice: Bleh
Current political party of choice: Bleh
Barm, batch, cob or bun: What?
Favourite (current) UK TV show: The usual panel shows these days
Oasis or Blur: Oasis

Bring on the snow!

Status
Not open for further replies.