• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeMufasa

So there's a high likelihood I'll be moving out of the country come Autumn, either to Taiwan (teaching English) or Australia (working holiday).

The government is putting up the non-EU sponsored job threshold at £31,000 and making it so that if you want to marry someone from outside the EU and they want to stay in the UK, either one of you has to earn over £25,000 a year.

Not happening, most graduate jobs are knocking around about £18,000 or £21,000 in London.

Gutted, first time a government decision has affected my life so deeply, actually started crying.

Fuck you Damien Green you slimy cunt.

(this affects my GF, who is from Taiwan by the way, she speaks absolutely perfect English (NZ accent), wants to pay her tax and contribute to the economy. She doesn't want to steal our benefits, she just wants to make a living here)

That sucks so bad. And now the country will be loosing 2 contributing members.

I'm also going to go to East Asia to teach English for a few years. Good luck.

It's not.

Basically this is aimed, whether they say it in public or not, at south Asian immigrants, particularly unskilled ones, but you can't say "oh, we're reducing immigration from Pakistan, India and Sri Lanka, but people from Hong Kong are more than welcome to bring their families" that wouldn't be allowed.

Shit sucks dude. Our immigration policy leaves a lot to be desired, but of the groups you have mentioned, one is not like the others. Benefit dependency in two of the three groups is lower than British nationals, and higher in one, one guess as to which group has higher benefit dependency than British nationals.

Either way the government just need to make a list of countries from which people can immigrate and countries from which they can't. India and Sri Lanka would be on the former, for sure, as would China, Taiwan and HK.

It's not.

Basically this is aimed, whether they say it in public or not, at south Asian immigrants, particularly unskilled ones, but you can't say "oh, we're reducing immigration from Pakistan, India and Sri Lanka, but people from Hong Kong are more than welcome to bring their families" that wouldn't be allowed.

I get the undercurrents of that in his speech and I have friend from the UK who says this is pretty much with the goal of getting ride off, like you said, south asian immigrants.

I don´t really know where I´d study (Not one of the school that have issues with being sponsored or whatever that means) but I do have an Undergrad degree from the US in PoliSci from a top 50 school with honors and undergrad thesis (which aren´t too common it seems) and I´d like to consider going to study International Relations, International Finance, Economics or something. But I really don´t know if I´d go if I know I´d get kicked out if I don´t have a job or one that pays too little (wish I would have done more IT stuff since that seems like its a way into most countries right now.). I mean there are other countries in Europe and don´t mind learning another language.

daviyoung

Banned
So there's a high likelihood I'll be moving out of the country come Autumn, either to Taiwan (teaching English) or Australia (working holiday).

The government is putting up the non-EU sponsored job threshold at £31,000 and making it so that if you want to marry someone from outside the EU and they want to stay in the UK, either one of you has to earn over £25,000 a year.

That's whack. Do you know if this affects recently married couples?

SteveWD40

Whereas our prior 'come one, come all' immigration policy was well thought out, hasn't affected social cohesion and won't get a damned sight worse as unemployment continues to rise. There is no strain on our public services either, so that's nice.

Sucks that you're caught up in the swing of the pendulum though Meadows. It will settle somewhere in the middle eventually.

Quote where I said it was.

Typical strawman, knee jerk argument.

The pendulum settling in the middle suggests that even someone like you would admit that THIS POLICY (the one we were discussing) is:

stupid
ill thought out
to appease the far right (or you in this instance)

Meadows

Banned
dunno really

You know you never really think government policy has an affect on your life, but this is one of the first times it has ever effected me in such a drastic way.

Gonna get up my bursary money and hire an immigration lawyer for some advice in the next few days.

Quick question from a Yank: why don't the Conservatives want Scotland to be independent even though it will insure them a long-term parliamentary majority in the UK?

Meadows

Banned
Quick question from a Yank: why don't the Conservatives want Scotland to be independent even though it will insure them a long-term parliamentary majority in the UK?

Scottish seats have only been important in the outcome of an election once since WWII. It'd be like if, say, Alabama, Tennessee and Arkansas all left the USA. It would be slightly beneficial to the Democrats but would be unlikely to make or break an election.

Because most Tories believe that the union makes the UK stronger than being separate countries. They think national interest is more important than party interest so will hammer away at saving the union despite the fact that it handicaps them in the long term.

SmokyDave

Quote where I said it was.

Typical strawman, knee jerk argument.
You got a problem with typical strawman, knee jerk arguments?

The pendulum settling in the middle suggests that even someone like you would admit that THIS POLICY (the one we were discussing) is:

stupid
ill thought out
to appease the far right (or you in this instance)
Absolutely. This policy is aimed at appeasing people like me and it's further proof that the government don't have the first fucking idea what people like me want. What we certainly don't want is to lose a citizen as valuable as Meadows' missus (or, by extension, Meadows).

It was far too far left and now it's swinging too far right. Momentum tells me it will swing even further right before we eventually arrive at some sensible immigration policies.

Because most Tories believe that the union makes the UK stronger than being separate countries. They think national interest is more important than party interest so will hammer away at saving the union despite the fact that it handicaps them in the long term.

Interesting stuff. The Republicans here in the US would never put the national interest before their party.

SteveWD40

Or just continue to the right until we live in the Children of Men version of Britain because there are many rich white people who would like nothing more.

Ashes2049

Neo Member
Where are you? It was snowing in Radford at about 11, and then a little bit whilst I was in town at about 12ish. Nothing in Arnold yet and it's stopped in Radford now.

I was in town too but it only snowed for about 5mins. Started and stopped whilst I was on a cig break :/

Hope we get a heavy fall overnight or something, really missing the snow this year.

Bleepey

Is there anyway that threshold for the non-EU job get put down?
I was thinking about studying over there for a masters and trying to get a job after but I have no idea how right out of school I´d be making 31,000 pounds. How is that reasonable?

I am doing my masters and I don't even think I'd earn that when I graduate. Yeeeeeesh.

Meadows

Banned
Absolutely. This policy is aimed at appeasing people like me and it's further proof that the government don't have the first fucking idea what people like me want. What we certainly don't want is to lose a citizen as valuable as Meadows' missus (or, by extension, Meadows).

It was far too far left and now it's swinging too far right. Momentum tells me it will swing even further right before we eventually arrive at some sensible immigration policies.

Yeah, I'm all in favour of cutting immigration too, I think it's too soft and too high, mostly from EU countries, although there's obviously not a lot we can do about that.

A points system would be the best, like the ones Canada/NZ/Australia have, my GF speaks perfectly fluent English, hasn't got any long term health problems, will have a Management degree from a top 15 university and is fluent in Mandarin and speaks basic Cantonese, French and is learning a bit of Welsh on the side! Why the fuck are we pushing these people away!!!?!?!

I am doing my masters and I don't even think I'd earn that when I graduate. Yeeeeeesh.

Well I was looking again, and unless they change it again It looks like that monetary cap only kicks in after 5 years if you´re applying for residency. I think its only 20,000 right now to get a work visa.
I don´t know if that makes it better. It´d just give people another 5 years to get a 10,000 raise.

SteveWD40

Yeah, I'm all in favour of cutting immigration too, I think it's too soft and too high, mostly from EU countries, although there's obviously not a lot we can do about that.

A points system would be the best, like the ones Canada/NZ/Australia have, my GF speaks perfectly fluent English, hasn't got any long term health problems, will have a Management degree from a top 15 university and is fluent in Mandarin and speaks basic Cantonese, French and is learning a bit of Welsh on the side! Why the fuck are we pushing these people away!!!?!?!

Bingo, nailed it.

When I did live in oz I looked into staying on, they made it pretty clear that to get sponsorship (stay for a few years) took a certain level, then residency took a bit more (prove your worth if you will) and then citizenship.

My sister has lived there for 8 years working in Marketing, earning over £60k per annum and generating taxes, all that shit, she only just got her citizenship last year.

Because Grayling is a complete arsehole.

This government have got no idea of how to control immigration, the HSMP system was better than what is being proposed, but really what we need is a list system whereby people from any blacklisted country cannot apply for any kind of visa for the UK (tourist or work). It's really that simple.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Not happening, most graduate jobs are knocking around about £18,000 or £21,000 in London.

Gutted, first time a government decision has affected my life so deeply, actually started crying.

Fuck you Damien Green you slimy cunt.

(this affects my GF, who is from Taiwan by the way, she speaks absolutely perfect English (NZ accent), wants to pay her tax and contribute to the economy. She doesn't want to steal our benefits, she just wants to make a living here)

You could always get married.

that's what my dad said, it's looking likely.

Really don't want to do it under these circumstances though, neither of us has nearly enough money to pull off a nice wedding.

Don't go for a nice wedding, just go to the registry centre and don't tell any of your IRL friends that you did it.

SmokyDave

Really don't want to do it under these circumstances though, neither of us has nearly enough money to pull off a nice wedding.

Marry now for practical reasons and renew the vows later for the ceremony.

The important thing is that you're together.

Meadows

Banned
shotgun_wedding.jpg

but it's Damian Green with the shotgun

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

My wife always said a nice husband was more important than a nice wedding, though actually we managed a jolly good wedding for about £600 and still together 25 years later.

Not to push you either way mate, your call (and your GFs), but it seems to me that happiness of marriage is about inversely proportional to cost of the ceremonials.

Good luck either way.

FreeMufasa

Because Grayling is a complete arsehole.

This government have got no idea of how to control immigration, the HSMP system was better than what is being proposed, but really what we need is a list system whereby people from any blacklisted country cannot apply for any kind of visa for the UK (tourist or work). It's really that simple.

Why?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Politics thread is separate, we'll keep political chat in here to the very basics ;)

Also speaking of voting *cough*. Has everyone been voting in their chunky champion? BRING BACK THE FUCKING PEANUT BUTTER KIT KAT CHUNKIES!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Has everyone been voting in their chunky champion? BRING BACK THE FUCKING PEANUT BUTTER KIT KAT CHUNKIES!
I have yet to see a single one of those Kit Kat Chunkies in a store. Admittedly I'm not looking that hard, but still. I@d be happy with either the peanut butter or orange ones. Remember when they used to have tubes of only orange Smarties? That was a glorious time.

Every time I go into my local supermarket they have all of those kit kats available apart from the white one, where the box always seems to be empty.

By the way, I'm from Cardiff.

Mastadon

Banned
Bugger, I was torn between the two. 02/03 Model in Silver / Grey?

I've had a habit of trying to identify cars from obscure bits since I saw a guy do it on 'You Bet' about 20 years ago.

In green, but not a bad effort at all.

You Bet! was an amazing show. They tried to recreate the magic with the shit Epic Win thing that was on last year, but it just wasn't the same. I think Matthew Kelly is due a return to TV
if he's still alive?

I've had a habit of trying to identify cars from obscure bits since I saw a guy do it on 'You Bet' about 20 years ago.

Ha I fucking remember that. Also the top gear where Steve Coogan identified cars by the sound of their doors being closed.

PJV3

I saw Jay Kay(twat with a hat) on tv identifying cars by the noise the doors made, i was strangely impressed by it.

^ Coogan as well?, fucking weirdos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom