• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know how to improve the iPlayer quality for live streams? I want to watch the rugga tonight, but I'm away from my flat. BBC iPlayer live streams at a miserly 480kbps, anyway to boost that?

I propose a meetup in Lincoln. As Chris B is down the road and Dabookerman is well overdue another visit. I suppose one or two more could make it but I don't have the biggest front room.

Ignore me on meetups, actually.

iPlayer advice: use TVCatchup.com. You can get better quality on that. It's legit for UK people if you have a TV license etc.

I propose a meetup in Lincoln. As Chris B is down the road and Dabookerman is well overdue another visit. I suppose one or two more could make it but I don't have the biggest front room.

Ignore me on meetups, actually.

I could do this! And my sister lives in Lincoln so if CHEEZMO shows up things get weird I can just need round to her place, lol

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
If we did have a meet, then it'd be cool if we didn't wear nametags or anything.

Most would probably know me 'cause I've posted pics n shit, but it could be fun.

Welcome back Cheez, me old mucker.

0UuhL.gif

Xun

Alright here's the potential list for the London-GAF meetup:

• Xun
  • Yami
  • J Tourettes
  • Qasiel
  • wetflame
  • zomgbbqftw
  • BGBW
  • Bleepey
  • SteveWD40
Sorry if I've missed anyone out!

Let's do this shit.

FreeMufasa

Is Skinhead Culture returning in the UK?

Not the political far right movement but the clothes, style and music. 2 weeks ago I saw a dude wearing skinhead outfit from the 80s/90s like this.

5R298.jpg

Shocked me because I hadn't seen it in years. Thought it might just be a person living up his youth but in the past 2 weeks, i've seen around 5 different guys with the outfit. Not only that but a lot of people blasting Ska music out of their cars and random people just playing old tracks.

Has anyone else seen this development?

Is Skinhead Culture returning in the UK?

Not the political far right movement but the clothes, style and music. 2 weeks ago I saw a dude wearing skinhead outfit from the 80s/90s like this.

5R298.jpg

Shocked me because I hadn't seen it in years. Thought it might just be a person living up his youth but in the past 2 weeks, i've seen around 5 different guys with the outfit. Not only that but a lot of people blasting Ska music out of their cars and random people just playing old tracks.

Has anyone else seen this development?

Can't say I've noticed a big resurgence tbh, but in London I've always seen the around.

My flatmate and I do play a lot of ska as well.

SteveWD40

• Xun
  • Yami
  • J Tourettes
  • Qasiel
  • wetflame
  • zomgbbqftw
  • BGBW
  • Bleepey
  • SteveWD40

Let's do this shit.

Now to nail down dates and let the locals suggest places!

painey

I figured since I moved to the States I would post some of the things that I fucking desire from my homeland that are not available here, or available without paying over the odds or jumping through hurdles.

betfair-small.gif

heinz_beans.jpg

pg_tips.jpg

match-of-the-day-logo.jpg

Fish%20and%20Chips.jpg

220px-Doener_berlin_kraeuter.jpg

NHS-55.gif

300px-TubeMapZ1_TFL.png

salad%20cream.jpg

bg35611945700093155-carling-300xws.jpg

zinger+3.jpg

Colmans-Mustard.jpg

Don't take these things for granted fellas!

Indeed.

I'll try and get the thread up by the end of the week.

I'm sure when there's a thread for it we should theoretically get more attention.

Cool, I think I'll let other people suggest venues as I'm a bit of a boring bastard nowadays and mainly frequent local pubs or Sam Smith's pubs if I'm uptown.

SteveWD40

Wait, the rest I get but...they don't have Zinger Tower Burgers in KFC in the US?

wtf.gif

They do have mashed potato with chicken gravy as a side there though, so they win.

Qasiel

I also don't know many good places, but Qasiel said he knew some.

Depending on what people are up for (Rock pub/bar, somewhere a little upmarket, Sam Smith's pub ;) ) I'll be able to find something I'm sure. Once the thread is up and people start suggesting the types of places they wish to go, I'll drop a list and see where we go from there.

Songbird

Prodigal Son

• Xun
  • Yami
  • J Tourettes
  • Qasiel
  • wetflame
  • zomgbbqftw
  • BGBW
  • Bleepey
  • SteveWD40

Let's do this shit.

I'm interested in London if Megabus is as cheap as it seems. Will want to cut/shave hair before then, woo.

• Xun
  • Yami
  • J Tourettes
  • Qasiel
  • wetflame
  • zomgbbqftw
  • BGBW
  • Bleepey
  • SteveWD40

Let's do this shit.
Erm, I'm kind of interested in this if/when you guys firm up some details... MegaBus/National Express between Cardiff and London can be pennies and I have a mate living in Wimbledon who I have been meaning to visit for a while. I could combine the meet up with the visit... Provided there's no objections to a Junior Gaffer joining ya'll!

Edit: casting an early vote for a decent rock bar venue!

Just to counter my Sam Smith talk, any of you North Londoners ever go to Big Red on Holloway Road? Not been for a few momnths but that pub is almost perfect despite it's American theme. great jukebox, all the barmaids are pretty and busty, mostly with tats. The food is nice as well as cheap and they always have enough bar staff on so you never have to wait that long to get served.

You're away for a week on holiday, then busy with work, and you miss a new UK thread! Damn.

Where do you live: Woodford, London
Where are you from: South Wales
University: Nope
Sports team of choice: The Athertons :D
Current political party of choice: Well it was Tory till they started spouting on about all the secular/religious bullcrap. Am now open to persuasion.
Barm, batch, cob or bun: What???
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Sherlock.
Oasis or Blur: Blur.

So, London meet up, I'm in! I also vote West End, variety of pubs close to each other so if we don't like one we can move on. I doubt anyone will know me except Qasiel because I don't say much on here, but I'm a lot louder in person.

Just to counter my Sam Smith talk, any of you North Londoners ever go to Big Red on Holloway Road? Not been for a few momnths but that pub is almost perfect despite it's American theme. great jukebox, all the barmaids are pretty and busty, mostly with tats. The food is nice as well as cheap and they always have enough bar staff on so you never have to wait that long to get served.

I love Big Red, frequent it quite frequently. Love the food, my friend's mum is one of the cooks. Always have good films playing, some decent live bands, good music. It would be perfect if it was more accessible, I have to come all the way in to town just to go back out again on the tube.

• Xun
  • Yami
  • J Tourettes
  • Qasiel
  • wetflame
  • zomgbbqftw
  • BGBW
  • Bleepey
  • SteveWD40

Let's do this shit.

Depends on what people are up for. If we're going to a pub then I only really know pubs around Enfield (where I live) or Canary Wharf (where I work), the former are pretty scabby and the latter are pretty expensive. If no one has a better idea then I know a place in CW which is pretty nice, but a beer runs at £7 for a pint and £5 for bottle, so it is definitely not cheap.

GJS

So much stupid shit going on today.

Militant secularisation threat to religion, says Warsi
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17021831

Falklands dispute: Argentine union to boycott UK ships
"We have resolved to boycott any ship with the British flag, or with the lying and invented flag of the Falklands, or with any flag of convenience which the British pirates use," the Argentine Confederation of Transport Workers said in a statement.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-17022603

Depends on what people are up for. If we're going to a pub then I only really know pubs around Enfield (where I live) or Canary Wharf (where I work), the former are pretty scabby and the latter are pretty expensive. If no one has a better idea then I know a place in CW which is pretty nice, but a beer runs at £7 for a pint and £5 for bottle, so it is definitely not cheap.

I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than drink in Canary Wharf, fucking hate that place.

I assume we're going central, otherwise I know a few good pubs in Camden.

Xun

Depending on what people are up for (Rock pub/bar, somewhere a little upmarket, Sam Smith's pub ;) ) I'll be able to find something I'm sure. Once the thread is up and people start suggesting the types of places they wish to go, I'll drop a list and see where we go from there.
Rock pub/bar is good with me!

Also here's the updated list:

• Xun
  • Yami
  • J Tourettes
  • Qasiel
  • wetflame
  • zomgbbqftw
  • BGBW
  • Bleepey
  • SteveWD40
  • Thnikkaman
  • KungFuBill
  • Musha_Soturi
I'll get the thread started soon.

GAF, help me, I'm confused:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17026612

On the one hand, I'm feeling increasingly against the idea of the royal family and everything it stands for...but on the other hand Kate Middleton is bang-tidy.

Time to give up on republicanism dude. Give into HRH, and worship the Duchess of Cambridge like the rest of us...

I was talking to a few colleagues today about the idea of a new HMS Britannia for the royal family. I would be up for donating £500 to make it happen, just amongst the 20 or so people we came up with £40,000. I seriously hope the government commission a new one and have it paid for privately through donations from individuals, I have absolutely no doubt that people of Britain would get £50m together pretty fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom