• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meadows

Banned
I was talking to a few colleagues today about the idea of a new HMS Britannia for the royal family. I would be up for donating £500 to make it happen, just amongst the 20 or so people we came up with £40,000. I seriously hope the government commission a new one and have it paid for privately through donations from individuals, I have absolutely no doubt that people of Britain would get £50m together pretty fast.

that seems like an excellent use for that £500

that seems like an excellent use for that £500

I've got little else to do with my money now, I was going to buy a flat, but since I'm moving to Shanghai in January 2013 I don't really see the point. I give enough to charity already and restoring a bit of national pride that Labour short sightedly dismantled without a successor seems like a decent use of £500 to me.

Meadows

Banned
I've got little else to do with my money now, I was going to buy a flat, but since I'm moving to Shanghai in January 2013 I don't really see the point. I give enough to charity already and restoring a bit of national pride that Labour short sightedly dismantled without a successor seems like a decent use of £500 to me.

Banker problems:

"FUCK, I'VE GOT ALL OF THIS MONEY, SHIT, BETTER GIVE SOME TO THE QUEEN, FUCK, I DON'T KNOW, SHIT"

Yeah give it to Cheezmo, I bet he'll make better use of it than some old home counties cunts

Banker problems:

"FUCK, I'VE GOT ALL OF THIS MONEY, SHIT, BETTER GIVE SOME TO THE QUEEN, FUCK, I DON'T KNOW, SHIT"

Yeah give it to Cheezmo, I bet he'll make better use of it than some old home counties cunts

Damn, that sounds like a line out of Killzone. Did you by any chance work on the script. D:

I don't mean it like that, it's just the move to Shanghai has kind of fucked all of my plans so I have loads of money now...

Bleepey

Depends on what people are up for. If we're going to a pub then I only really know pubs around Enfield (where I live) or Canary Wharf (where I work), the former are pretty scabby and the latter are pretty expensive. If no one has a better idea then I know a place in CW which is pretty nice, but a beer runs at £7 for a pint and £5 for bottle, so it is definitely not cheap.

There is a pub near KCL waterloo that does nachos for a fiver adn they are fucking filling.

I for one bet cash and enjoy the free MAD STACKS OF BRITISH BANK NOTES!

I doubt you enjoy mad stacks of bank notes if your betting slip earlier in this thread is anything to go by.
KuGsj.gif

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I doubt you enjoy mad stacks of bank notes if your betting slip earlier in this thread is anything to go by.
KuGsj.gif

Now i just put a tenner on what will be the clear winner of big sports game.

the tenner doubles most of the time..

I enjoyed pizza hut yesterday with my latest winnings (man u vs liverpool)

Qasiel

I've not been since it moved from Soho, can't say the thought excites me that much! Despite that, I'll go with whatever people seem happy with.

There's always the Crobar, but if there's more than 5 people in that place it starts to feel crowded. Shame really, as the jukebox is pretty good.

Meadows

Banned
Now i just put a tenner on what will be the clear winner of big sports game.

the tenner doubles most of the time..

I enjoyed pizza hut yesterday with my latest winnings (man u vs liverpool)

don't gamble those mad stacks away mate ;)

lost too many friends to gambling

Qasiel

Oh, London-GAF, I forgot to mention: Looks like Sony have rented out the shop next to Currys/PC world on Oxford Street for some grand PSVita event on the 17th. Just thought I'd make you guys aware if any of you were in the neighbourhood on Friday.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hey UKGAF. My buddy is starting a new, crazy kind of pub that the drinkers among you may be interested in called Innsatiable.

It's a clever idea whereby you only pay for a recyclable glass (usually about half the price of a drink in a normal pub). The drink to fill it is then technically free. You drink it up, throw the glass away to be recycled and rinse and repeat.

His first store opens next month in Farnham, Surrey and I know there's a few GAFfers in the area, so head along to his Facebook page and throw some likes his way to help spread the word. He plans on opening a shop a month around the country, so get in while it's new.

Innsatiable Facebook page

daviyoung

Banned
It's a clever idea whereby you only pay for a recyclable glass (usually about half the price of a drink in a normal pub). The drink to fill it is then technically free. You drink it up, throw the glass away to be recycled and rinse and repeat.

I'm too stupid to understand this. What's the customer incentive for doing this? Just that it's a cheaper drink? Why are you throwing away every glass? Isn't all glass recyclabe? Is this part of some government initiative that rewards recyclers? If I don't want to recycle my glass can I get an even cheaper drink?

What is this?!

Meadows

Banned
I don't really understand? It's like a normal bar but you use the same glass?

Also the symbolism (soviet stuff) is very similar to Vodka Revs

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Hey UKGAF. My buddy is starting a new, crazy kind of pub that the drinkers among you may be interested in called Innsatiable.

This makes little sense to me. Still, Farnham's just down the road, so I might need to take a look at some point.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm too stupid to understand this. What's the customer incentive for doing this? Just that it's a cheaper drink? Why are you throwing away every glass? Isn't all glass recyclabe? Is this part of some government initiative that rewards recyclers? If I don't want to recycle my glass can I get an even cheaper drink?

What is this?!

I don't really understand? It's like a normal bar but you use the same glass?

The glass isn't really glass, it's a type of glass-like-plastic so therefore much more easily recyclable. After every drink you get a new glass, you can't just keep reusing the same one (you cheap bastards :p). But really it's just a gimmick that gets people in the door into a pub where drinks are under half price compared to a normal pub. Their slogan is "Pay for the glass, not the vinyard"

Maybe there is some kind of loophole for recyclers that they're tapping into though, I'd never considered that before.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to going to a pub run by a mate where I can go out with 20 quid in my pocket and come home with change.

If nothing else, it's certainly controversial!

Kentpaul

Not to mention drinking beer out anything less than a proper glass is downright horrible.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Why not refill it? surely that is more environmentally friendly? Am I missing something here?

I have no idea tbh. But normal pubs don't usually let you refill glasses either (no idea why there either), and the pubs that give you plastic glasses are the same. Imagine it's like one of those pubs, only much cheaper.

Meadows

Banned
The glass isn't really glass, it's a type of glass-like-plastic so therefore much more easily recyclable. After every drink you get a new glass, you can't just keep reusing the same one (you cheap bastards :p). But really it's just a gimmick that gets people in the door into a pub where drinks are under half price compared to a normal pub. Their slogan is "Pay for the glass, not the vinyard"

Maybe there is some kind of loophole for recyclers that they're tapping into though, I'd never considered that before.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to going to a pub run by a mate where I can go out with 20 quid in my pocket and come home with change.

If nothing else, it's certainly controversial!

When recycling plastic you only retain a certain amount of usefulness, so that's actually far more wasteful than just buying a load of glasses and then re-using them a few hundred times

daviyoung

Banned
When recycling plastic you only retain a certain amount of usefulness, so that's actually far more wasteful than just buying a load of glasses and then re-using them a few hundred times

I don't think they're looking for an eco angle with this actually. The bonus is they don't have to bother with dishwashers or sinks or Finish or anything, just a bin and some taps.

Kentpaul

I don't think they're looking for an eco angle with this actually. The bonus is they don't have to bother with dishwashers or sinks or Finish or anything, just a bin and some taps.

Sounds to me like this idea the bar has fucks up possible job vacancies.. I would never support such a place.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
When I see him next I'll have to go into more detail on his business model then. I actually have no idea how they're going to make money off this, so I'm interested to know more. All I know is - cheap booze! yay!

Where do you live: Ascot
Where are you from: Easter Ross
University: Imperial College (previously Aberdeen and Edinburgh)
Sports team of choice: currently Gamblers Crew/Illusions of Exist (bboying)
Current political party of choice: Green/SNP
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Barm
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Bugger all
Oasis or Blur:Neither

Kentpaul

When I see him next I'll have to go into more detail on his business model then. I actually have no idea how they're going to make money off this, so I'm interested to know more. All I know is - cheap booze! yay!

cheaper than weather-spoons ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom