• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you live: Ebchester
Where are you from: Newcastle
University: Northumbria
Sports team of choice: Don't follow sports
Current political party of choice: Don't follow politics
Barm, batch, cob or bun: BUN!
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Game of Thrones

I think this Innsatiable pub you speak of gets either tax credits due to recycling or, more likely, has found a an alcohol duty or tax loophole as the drinks are technically "free". It could just be a gimmick.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think this Innsatiable pub you speak of gets either tax credits due to recycling or, more likely, has found a an alcohol duty or tax loophole as the drinks are technically "free". It could just be a gimmick.

I think that could be it with the alcohol duty. The way he worded it in the press release was that the drinks are a "gift" so it does sound like they're avoiding something somewhere along the line.

Meadows

Banned
I think that could be it with the alcohol duty. The way he worded it in the press release was that the drinks are a "gift" so it does sound like they're avoiding something somewhere along the line.

sounds like a very poor attempt at tax evasion that they will be punished for

"gift" what a load of bollocks, that won't work, alcohol can't be a "gift" when exchanged for money in a licensed bar.

"gift" what a load of bollocks, that won't work, alcohol can't be a "gift" when exchanged for money in a licensed bar.

Technically the alcohol isn't being exchanged for money so who knows if they'll get away with it? If it's technically ok, the worst that'll happen is the loophole will be closed in the next tax year.

Meadows

Banned
Technically the alcohol isn't being exchanged for money so who knows if they'll get away with it? If it's technically ok, the worst that'll happen is the loophole will be closed in the next tax year.

there's no way they'll get away with it. I'd give them a week.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
there's no way they'll get away with it. I'd give them a week.

Well I shall keep you posted, since they open next month. The only thing I was concerned about was that in this current culture where cheap drinking is villified they'll make an easy target for a local politician looking to make a point, especially if the place gets taken over by piss heads.

The Intrepid Fox? Meh.

I'm sure we'll be able to find somewhere better than that.

Also I'll get the thread up later today!

Why "Meh"? It's certainly big enough, has good music, and isn't full of knobs!

If someone can suggest somewhere better in Central I'm all for it. Crobar is far too small.

If we want something to eat as well what about Pyke?

Meadows

Banned
From my (admittedly very limited) understanding, they can't close a loophole that fast and it would be bought in in the next fiscal year.

no, my point is that it isn't really even a loophole, the legal definition of "gift" doesn't fit this exchange of money for alcohol, it's just fisher price tax fraud

Music in pubs = NOPE.avi

You must be past thirty like me
KuGsj.gif

I'm only 24... this is why my social life suffered during Uni. Too many of my friends enjoyed noisy bars and clubs. I preferred a quiet corner in a nice pub.

I fully sympathise. I've always fucking hated clubbing but it always always a means to an end when I was younger. Post thirty and birded up, there's no reason whatsoever to go to a club. Occasionally some of my younger friends may drag me to one but it's happening less and less as they're starting to feel like the oldest there too.

Chopper

I'm only 24... this is why my social life suffered during Uni. Too many of my friends enjoyed noisy bars and clubs. I preferred a quiet corner in a nice pub.

High five! You'd love my pub then. No music unless it's live. I'm 27, and it changed for me when I started drinking real ale at about 20. All of a sudden, my favourite alcoholic beverage wasn't available when we went out. Fuck clubs.

Xun

Why "Meh"? It's certainly big enough, has good music, and isn't full of knobs!

If someone can suggest somewhere better in Central I'm all for it. Crobar is far too small.

If we want something to eat as well what about Pyke?
I don't completely mind the place, but the atmosphere isn't for everyone.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man

Yeah, this was my initial thought, but decided that it couldn't be that, as there's no way any rational person would consider it a sane business venture given the losses you'd incur once it was shut down.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yeah, this was my initial thought, but decided that it couldn't be that, as there's no way any rational person would consider it a sane business venture given the losses you'd incur once it was shut down.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. I'll ask him about it soon and post again when I know a bit more. He's a very smart fella and has been working on it for a while now, so I assume it's all legit.

I like both, but I can't stand starting a night in a loud place. If I was going to spend a whole night in places where I couldn't talk to people without shouting directly into their ear holes, I'd probably just go out on my own. Better to go somewhere where you can hear each other speak, and then as you become more drunk and illegible, wander into a club and time-travel / blackout.

I'm liking quieter nights these days though, definitely.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I just don't understand the point of pubs with very loud music in them. Clubs are fair enough, you go there to dance, not start conversations. But pubs are all about the talking, otherwise you're just sitting and drinking, every now and then looking about at your mates and giving a thumbs up or something. There's a pub near me that would be great if it didn't have mind numbingly loud music every night from 9 onwards. And the place isn't big enough to swing a cat in, let alone get your groove on.

But I am an old man at the end of my 20s shaking my fist at the sky...

Speaking of clubs, I would fucking KILL for a decent club in the Aldershot/Farnham/Guildford area. There are clubs for shiny shoed gelled hair cunts, there's a rock club for people who still think it's 1997 and know all the words to the Disturbed songs, there are meat markets galore but there are no clubs that play cool indie music where I can go and shake my fat ass and be happy. It sucks.

Lirlond

It's pretty hard to find good pubs in Glasgow city centre, there are a few down side alleys, but if you don't want to pay out the nose or get stabbed then your only choice really is Wetherspoons \:

Seanbob11

It's pretty hard to find good pubs in Glasgow city centre, there are a few down side alleys, but if you don't want to pay out the nose or get stabbed then your only choice really is Wetherspoons \:

I quite like Hall on Sauchiehall Street. I think it's owned in a chain and you get a "yellow card" making it quite cheap.

GJS

Serious Organised Crime Agency cracking down on.... copyright infringement on a blog.

http://rnbxclusive.com/
SOCA has taken control of this domain name.
The individuals behind this website have been arrested for fraud.

The majority of music files that were available via this site were stolen from the artists.
If you have downloaded music using this website you may have committed a criminal offence which carries a maximum penalty of up to 10 years imprisonment and an unlimited fine under UK law.

Your IP Your Browser Your OS Time / Date
#### Desktop WinNT 16:13:49 15/02/2012

The above information can be used to identify you and your location.

SOCA has the capability to monitor and investigate you, and can inform your internet service provider of these infringements.

You may be liable for prosecution and the fact that you have received this message does not preclude you from prosecution.

As a result of illegal downloads young, emerging artists may have had their careers damaged. If you have illegally downloaded music you will have damaged the future of the music industry.

SmokyDave

I'd be well up for a meet-up but over the next few weeks I'd need a fair chunk of notice. I'll just lurk and wait for final plans before confirming. Travelling isn't an issue, it just depends on the dates.

Will be down for the UK meetup..as long as there's beer
Dude, you have exquisite taste in avatars. Were I a dictator, you'd be in charge of rounding up the hotties for my harem.

I swear every god damn place is either owned by wetherspoons or even worse fucking social animal.

I'd be well up for a meet-up but over the next few weeks I'd need a fair chunk of notice. I'll just lurk and wait for final plans before confirming. Travelling isn't an issue, it just depends on the dates.

Dude, you have exquisite taste in avatars. Were I a dictator, you'd be in charge of rounding up the hotties for my harem.

My other one got removed by a mod...she was wearing stockings and panties and sitting down..apparently "sexually explicit"

Anyways! I would take you up on your invitation of duties *salutes*

SmokyDave

My other one got removed by a mod...she was wearing stockings and panties and sitting down..apparently "sexually explicit"

I know the one you mean. I thought it was probably too hot for GAF but I certainly wasn't going to be the one to draw attention to it.

If you wanted to PM me a link to the full size version, I wouldn't grumble at all. I need a new iPhone wallpaper now that I've exhausted every picture of Franziska Facella in existence.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Ah yes I remember that one, it was exquisite and featured my very favourite part of the female anatomy (that bit on the side of the upper hip. Yum, just wanna bite it). Like Smoky I would also appreciate a link to the full size image :D

That's one thing Edinburgh has over Glasgow, IMO. You don't have to wonder too far from the city centre to find some decent drinking establishments.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
When I see him next I'll have to go into more detail on his business model then. I actually have no idea how they're going to make money off this, so I'm interested to know more. All I know is - cheap booze! yay!

Sounds to be like a big-time scam to avoid paying duty on the alcoholic drinks and keep more profit for himself (pay for the glass and get the drinks free, indeed!).

If so, drink there by all means, but do not get even tangentially involved in the business - he'll be going down for a stretch before long.

Meadows

Banned
Sounds to be like a big-time scam to avoid paying duty on the alcoholic drinks and keep more profit for himself (pay for the glass and get the drinks free, indeed!).

If so, drink there by all means, but do not get even tangentially involved in the business - he'll be going down for a stretch before long.

it's worth bearing in mind that psisheep is (was?) a lawyer and knows what he's on about

I'd advise your friend to this.

Lirlond

I quite like Hall on Sauchiehall Street. I think it's owned in a chain and you get a "yellow card" making it quite cheap.

The hall is only really good when the footballs on, otherwise it just has shit music playing 24/7 because someone put £10 worth of Aqua and the Power rangers on the juke box before leaving.

I know the one you mean. I thought it was probably too hot for GAF but I certainly wasn't going to be the one to draw attention to it.

If you wanted to PM me a link to the full size version, I wouldn't grumble at all. I need a new iPhone wallpaper now that I've exhausted every picture of Franziska Facella in existence.

Ah yes I remember that one, it was exquisite and featured my very favourite part of the female anatomy (that bit on the side of the upper hip. Yum, just wanna bite it). Like Smoky I would also appreciate a link to the full size image :D

Wait wait..there were two, one pre-xmas that was more raunchier..it was a Babe station girl in black lingerie standing upright, the one recently that got removed was a random chick with dark black stockings, panties and hold-ups sitting down to the side, and her thighs wer..

Shit..I'm getting myself hot-under-the-collar here....I'm PM you them both!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom