• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
All of UK-GAF is to use this Hunt emoticon from now on.

We have found out replacement.

Anyway, I get back and find that the job I've been re-contracted to do has already been done, so I can just go back to doing what I was doing thank you very much. I'd made a hand-over before I left with specific instructions etc. of what needed doing, including some time-sensitive stuff that needed doing by the 18th. My handover hasn't been touched.

Now I have to go chase things that shouldn't be chased. I should just go have more surgery so I can avoid this.

SmokyDave

What the fuck is this noise about 'cunt' being banned?!

I assume that's a joke given the whole 'women can say it but blokes can't'.

Is 'cunt' seriously banned?

Yen

The new mod Mumei says it is insulting to women everywhere. You can only say it if you want to refer to books such as Cunt: A Declaration of Independence and I think it might be acceptable to use it to refer to genitalia. Though the last time it was used to refer to genitalia was Lady Chatterly's Lover.
Élsk in the football thread was banned for jokingly saying, "hahaha you are such a cunt."

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Indeed, buncha
CYqWE.png
s

I can't believe how quickly we've become institutionalized. Dave, you must become our RP McMurphy. Savagely strangle Nurse Rachet for our freedom! The loss of Billy Bibbit (aka Meadows) is acceptable losses!

I will be your Chief to smother you and then run awkwardly away.

SmokyDave

Afraid so Smoky. Welcome to the end of the UK gaf empire :(

Oh, it's getting fucking stupid 'round here. I'm guessing there's no common sense to the application of the rule, so calling an inanimate object or abstract concept a 'cunt' will still be bannable. Whoop-de-fucking-do.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh, it's getting fucking stupid 'round here. I'm guessing there's no common sense to the application of the rule, so calling an inanimate object or abstract concept a 'cunt' will still be bannable. Whoop-de-fucking-do.

I like calling inanimate objects
CYqWE.png
s. My iPhone is often very
CYqWE.png
y.

EDIT FOR SAFETY

As far as I'm aware this is literally just the opinion of one person being thrust upon pretty much everyone. Eventually people will learn- it's only un-PC if you keep acting like it is. Did any female GAFfers get annoyed by its use? I doubt it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
TOS said:
A. Language

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use NeoGAF to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. Sexual, racial, or ethnic slurs will not be tolerated in any form and are bannable on the first offense. It is recommended that profanity be held to a minimum, as it does not promote civil conversation. Foul language in the form of insults directed towards other forum members may result in a ban.

That's what they'll point you towards.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Maybe we should prompt a vote? If the majority of the site votes against it then we can curtail our backwards language, but if they rule for it then Mumei gets a tag change :p

SmokyDave

I feel like my favourite pub turned into a heath food shop :(

One of these incidents in isolation is neither here nor there but lately the cumulative effect is getting a bit much.

As far as I'm aware this is literally just the opinion of one person being thrust upon pretty much everyone. Eventually people will learn- it's only un-PC if you keep acting like it is. Did any female GAFfers get annoyed by its use? I doubt it.
Yeah, no shit.

I wonder if I'll be taken seriously if I report every instance of 'knob', 'prick', 'dick', 'bellend' etc..

Oh no, that would get me banned.

Maybe we should prompt a vote? If the majority of the site votes against it then we can curtail our backwards language, but if they rule for it then Mumei gets a tag change :p

"you don't question the neogaf mods huhrrrrrr"

*meanwhile 6 months later*

EL: Yeah that was a dumb decision, oops

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

I've noticed GAF getting a bit more "uptight" in the last few months. In a lot of cases this is a good thing, but some things can be borne out of taking things to far or just for the hell of it. I generally only come here for MMA-GAF now really, so I get the Memorex version instead of seeing it live.

SKINNER!

Banned

Stage a protest! We can have a "let's all be c-words" day and change our avatars.
lol!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Well no-one's calling anyone on here a cunt- I just want my right to call dumb people from outside the forum (e.g.: Piers Morgan) a cunt.

But there are degrees, right? I got banned for calling someone an idiot once - it's the tone rather than content. I think I could call everyone in this thread a
CYqWE.png
but you wouldn't take offense since you would understand context and tone. That's what is really frustrating, that it's some kind of dumb blanket ban in the name of a straw(wo)man.

Suairyu

Banned
As far as I'm aware this is literally just the opinion of one person being thrust upon pretty much everyone.
Except after Mumei made the declaration, Charlequinn came in to clarify the ban on "cunt" has been in effect for years, but bans are rare because they don't like to "gotcha!" ban people.

I imagine the people were banned in the football thread because the mods had clarified the rule very recently in that same thread.

CYqWE.png
ing bunting bollocks, this is.

But there are degrees, right? I got banned for calling someone an idiot once - it's the tone rather than content. I think I could call everyone in this thread a
CYqWE.png
but you wouldn't take offense since you would understand context and tone. That's what is really frustrating, that it's some kind of dumb blanket ban in the name of a straw(wo)man.

Yeah, exactly. It's stupid. FWIW, that word was already banned if you were going to actually call someone on here a
CYqWE.png
, because it's just damn offensive in that context. That I have no problem with, because hey, don't call people cunts like that. It's silly.

But god damn it censoring words achieves nothing.

EDIT: Oh, really? Well, I thought it was. It's pretty strong, after all. But ideally it should be contextual. If it's that bad, censor the fucker.

Yen

I imagine the people were banned in the football thread because the mods had clarified the rule very recently in that same thread.

CYqWE.png
ing bunting bollocks, this is.

It was clarified in the Euro thread, a few missed it and posted
CYqWE.png
in the other football thread and got banned for that.

No, we did not. In fact all of the girls who posted were more insulted by Mumei speaking for us.

And I am finding it increasingly difficult to talk about my cunt (as that's the only way I can use it apparently). What's left to say about my cunt apart from the fact it's rather nice?

SmokyDave

I've noticed GAF getting a bit more "uptight" in the last few months. In a lot of cases this is a good thing, but some things can be borne out of taking things to far or just for the hell of it. I generally only come here for MMA-GAF now really, so I get the Memorex version instead of seeing it live.

I know there's the whole 'tolerant of intolerance' paradox, but I do feel like this place is becoming less tolerant lately, not more. The pendulum swings too far and too fast.

No, we did not. In fact all of the girls who posted were more insulted by Mumei speaking for us.

And I am finding it increasingly difficult to talk about my cunt (as that's the only way I can use it apparently). What's left to say about my cunt apart from the fact it's rather nice?
Can I talk about 'it'?

What if I called it a clunge? Can we discuss it then?

I appreciate you keeping the flame alive for us.

Knew it! Knew it.

If this is just a reinforcement of an existing ban, then w/e, but it doesn't sound like it. :/

I'm all for clunge. Although I always spelt it with a "k".

SKINNER!

Banned
In other news, the London-Gaf meetup is this weekend right? Hope you guys have fun :) Kinda wish I could go but train/hotels are so pricey.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
In other news, the London-Gaf meetup is this weekend right? Hope you guys have fun :) Kinda wish I could go but train/hotels are so pricey.

Yup, it's this Saturday. I just hope the weather isn't shit but I won't be suprised if it continues to piss it down. God bless our beautiful English Summer!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Avatar change time! Anyone else that want to use it go ahead :D

Just realised as I pressed the button that I don't know if I've saved my old classic av. I will be gutted if I can't find it!

Can four of the London meetup attendees buy plain white t-shirts, and spray paint one letter of the word
CYqWE.png
on each t-shirt, then stand in the right order and get a photo? Then put that photo in the thread after the meetup.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Already seen Jedeye Sniv's new avatar so if you want to plaster his face on your's, here's a nice easy template.

Can four of the London meetup attendees buy plain white t-shirts, and spray paint one letter of the word
CYqWE.png
on each t-shirt, then stand in the right order and get a photo? Then put that photo in the thread after the meetup.
Ha ha ha ha ha.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
CYqWE.png

I am game for this if the other three bring a plain white t-shirt with them and we can get a lovely pen marker to celebrate the occasion. Dibs on the letter C!

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I know there's the whole 'tolerant of intolerance' paradox, but I do feel like this place is becoming less tolerant lately, not more. The pendulum swings too far and too fast
Less tolerant of what? Your ability to use a swear word? Bloody hell. It's the mods' house so it's their rules.You make it sound like a rights abuse for crying out loud.

Feeling less and less welcome here so go ahead, keep saying that word in protest and keep your drug intake as the primary topic of discussion. Thread needs a reboot anyway.

daviyoung

Banned
Feeling less and less welcome here so go ahead, keep saying that word in protest and keep your drug intake as the primary topic of discussion. Thread needs a reboot anyway.

Are you getting him confused with Kentpaul? KP's like a labrat who's documenting the research himself.

Love ya KP, woooo!

SmokyDave

Already seen Jedeye Sniv's new avatar so if you want to plaster his face on your's, here's a nice easy template.

I added him to my avatar but somehow fucked it up and it won't accept the image. Boo.

Less tolerant of what? Your ability to use a swear word? Bloody hell. It's the mods' house so it's their rules.You make it sound like a rights abuse for crying out loud.
It's the reason for the intolerance that I object to. Regardless, the curtailing of my natural language in an environment I was previously comfortable with is not a good development for me, no.

Um, yeah, sure. I'll politely nod and pretend I'm following what you're saying.

Are you getting him confused with Kentpaul? KP's like a labrat who's documenting the research himself.

Love ya KP, woooo!
That's my assumption, yeah. Someone needs to brush up on the 'who's who' of UK-GAF.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member

263886_1327178511203.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom