• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashes

Banned
Pack of small minded runts.

Wait a second, I'm supposed to be in support of this. Let's lay the case for the moderation of the word 'cunt', as I see it.

Language is funny. Synonyms can change the word, keep the meaning, so why ban the word?
Personally, the word cunt is offensive in enough circles I think to warrant moderation. Even if I do think it is used in lighter banter here in the UK than overseas.

Vice versa, I've seen newspapers (guardian perhaps? or one of the papers) where they asterisk out the word cunt, and use the word fuck as is, in the same article. So I don't get the point of thinking that suggests, nobody is at all offended by it anywhere.

Anyway, what's not offensive to you and me, may be offensive to somebody else, and with that in mind, I think, where possible it's best to meet in the middle.

Although I see where you guys are coming from, I can also see why it would be degrading to a woman if not all women. The offence presumably is reducing a girl to her vagina; women were not historically viewed as equal, so I can see why the idea of a woman being only useful for her vagina or in other words basically being a cunt could be seen as very offensive.

For that reason, I don't think I could call a woman a cunt, even if I have admittedly, called men that over football. So when it's banned, say in house guidelines, primary schools, secondary schools, or on a forum like Neogaf, I'm not going to throw a strop.

I don't really like the idea of completely blank cheque freedom of speech, paper ideals. Show me it, explain it, then I'll give my own opinion.

tldr: I can see why some people might find it offensive, I can also see why people who just use it casually, want to keep using it casually, but I agree, on this example with the mods.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
this is it guys, first signs of kentpaul opening his mind ( and possibly mouth) to the idea of penis.

I have circle jerked with dudes for years.. Il show you you show me yours ect, i had a very sexual childhood bro.

I really don't get turned on with dudes, at the time of the naked football team of men i was more worried about phoning my work to sort some details out.

SmokyDave

tldr: I can see why some people might find it offensive, I can also see why people who just use it casually, want to keep using it casually, but I agree, on this example with the mods.

Do you see the same problem with terms like 'cock' or 'dickhead' or 'man-child'?

Honest question.

Ashes

Banned
Do you see the same problem with terms like 'cock' or 'dickhead' or 'man-child'?

Honest question.

Well, no, because they are different words dave. But it feels like we're going go round in circles. Because I thought I covered that.

Edit: And like I said, let's not call myself an angel or something, I use it freely enough over football, so as to be sufficiently desensitised to it, but I can see why you could justify it as a policy.

Pack of small minded runts.

Wait a second, I'm supposed to be in support of this. Let's lay the case for the moderation of the word 'cunt', as I see it.

Language is funny. Synonyms can change the word, keep the meaning, so why ban the word?
Personally, the word cunt is offensive in enough circles I think to warrant moderation. Even if I do think it is used in lighter banter here in the UK than overseas.

Vice versa, I've seen newspapers (guardian perhaps? or one of the papers) where they asterisk out the word cunt, and use the word fuck as is, in the same article. So I don't get the point of thinking that suggests, nobody is at all offended by it anywhere.

Anyway, what's not offensive to you and me, may be offensive to somebody else, and with that in mind, I think, where possible it's best to meet in the middle.

Although I see where you guys are coming from, I can also see why it would be degrading to a woman if not all women. The offence presumably is reducing a girl to her vagina; women were not historical viewed as equal, so I can see why the idea of a woman being only useful for her vagina or in other words basically being a cunt could be seen as very offensive.

For that reason, I don't think I could call a woman a cunt, even if I have admittedly, called men that over football. So when it's banned, say in house guidelines, primary schools, secondary schools, or on a forum like Neogaf, I'm not going to throw a strop.

I don't really like the idea of completely blank cheque freedom of speech, paper ideals. Show me it, explain it, then I'll give my own opinion.

If you don't think the same thing about 'dick' or 'cock' being degrading to men then your point is invalid.

SmokyDave

Well, no, because they are different words dave.

Does this help?...

Although I see where you guys are coming from, I can also see why it would be degrading to a man if not all men. The offence presumably is reducing a guy to his penis; men were not historical viewed as equal, so I can see why the idea of a man being only useful for his penis or in other words basically being a cock could be seen as very offensive.

The ol' 'men were not viewed as equal' doesn't really fit (although it's a factually correct statement!) but the rest does.

Banning cunt for being extremely offensive*, I'd understand. Banning cunt because it's specifically offensive to women is bollocks.

*In the US, not so much for UK/AUS.

Ashes

Banned
If you don't think the same thing about 'dick' or 'cock' being degrading to men then your point is invalid.

Depends on the honesty behind the person proclaiming being offended. The idea that human beings are logical when it comes to language is bullshit. :p

Does this help?...

The ol' 'men were not viewed as equal' doesn't really fit (although it's a factually correct statement!) but the rest does.

Banning cunt for being extremely offensive*, I'd understand. Banning cunt because it's specifically offensive to women is bollocks.

*In the US, not so much for UK/AUS.

:p

Yeah this is one of those situations where I'm on one side of the fence, but can see fully the other side of the fence, and so if there were to be a vote (I'm not sure if discussing gaf moderation is allowed - I don't think it is), I'd vote, in this case, for moderation of the word.

Depends on the honesty behind the person proclaiming being offended. The idea that human beings are logical when it comes to language is bullshit. :p

This doesn't make any sense.

Plus if you think women will get offended by c**t but men won't get offended by dick or cock, then you are being sexist and more offensive to women that the c word is.

SKINNER!

Banned

true. And if using terms like "slut" and "whore" towards women is permissable simply because they aren't as offensive as "
CYqWE.png
" then doesn't banning people for using the c-word seem...pointless?

Ashes

Banned
This doesn't make any sense.

Plus if you think women will get offended by c**t but men won't get offended by dick or cock, then you are being sexist and more offensive to women that the c word is.

Well, the thing is not all women are offended by the use of the word cunt. I have a female friend, who calls guys that all the time. I'm not sure if she'd be okay if they called her that, but regardless, she uses it as freely as we do.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The issue is that nobody has the right to not be offended. It's utter bullshit that people can expect offence to be legislated against. It's like, I find most things that my the Daily Mail says are offensive. They're idiots, and even seeing their front pages gives me rage. There's nobody I can complain to about it, I just have to suck it down.

The word cunt is a stronger example of this. There is nothing inherently harmful about the word, but some people find it offensive. Tough, be offended. Feel some rage and go about your damn day.

There are hundreds of fucked up offensive real things in the world that we should be deeply upset about. Language and the use thereof should not be one of those things.

Ashes

Banned
The issue is that nobody has the right to not be offended. It's utter bullshit that people can expect offence to be legislated against. It's like, I find most things that my the Daily Mail says are offensive. They're idiots, and even seeing their front pages gives me rage. There's nobody I can complain to about it, I just have to suck it down.

The word cunt is a stronger example of this. There is nothing inherently harmful about the word, but some people find it offensive. Tough, be offended. Feel some rage and go about your damn day.

There are hundreds of fucked up offensive real things in the world that we should be deeply upset about. Language and the use thereof should not be one of those things.

That's fair. Have completely no regard to offence at all. But we're a funny society when it comes to offence that is parley to offence mingled with discrimination, e.g. sexism, racism, homephobia etc.

There are other words on a same or lesser levels. I was with friends, and we were at some place, and one of my friends got into an argument over a spilt drink, and as it went on he told the other guy to 'fuck off faggot'. My friend was trying his damnedest to insult the guy, but it was only because the stranger turned out to be gay, that it really hit home. The immediate change from anger, to a look of fright mixed with sadness on the guy's face - and it all went quiet... Yeah, I couldn't call or support anyones right to do that. But that's just me.

Or debate with local policy for using abusive language. I think we got kicked out for my friend being loud though.

Those in charge of Parliamentary law, and those in charge of local policy (work/forums/newspapers), have different demands placed on them, I guess.

Ta all for your lovely comments. The missus is taking me out for a nice meal tonight, and then will have more alcohol. Cheers again all.

Well played!

Are you going to get a foot in the door of a media company, or going on to a masters or one of those NCTJ qualifications?

Not sure of my next move. I'm not entirely sure the university wants me to go yet (well, the uni'd love me to piss off, but the department keep telling me to stay). So actually working within the department/uni is an option. Other ones, not sure, but I'm not gonna go for masters/NCTJ. My main experience/thing of knowledge is how to actually do stuff on the internet, some coding, webshit and mobile so I know more than large sections of the industry on that. :p But more where coding/tech/journalism collides is my goal, right now I'm blogging for PCWorld US for money. Which is nice.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Grats you smug bastard!

EDIT: Ohhh Jeremy Hunt, missed that post. I wanna be in on the fun. Gotta Jeremy up.

Nesotenso

I have a question about the British Olympic team. Do athletes from Northern Ireland represent the kingdom ? If yes, why refer them as Team GB and not team UK ?

Don't know why this randomly popped into my head, but did the full story ever emerge about the millionaire who killed his wife and daughter and burned the house down? It was on a country estate of sorts (and I'm not sure whether the arson is a different case)

I think it happened roughly a year and a half ago. I tried to Google it but failed.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
That's fair. Have completely no regard to offence at all. But we're a funny society when it comes to offence that is parley to offence mingled with discrimination, e.g. sexism, racism, homephobia etc.

There are other words on a same or lesser levels. I was with friends, and we were at some place, and one of my friends got into an argument over a spilt drink, and as it went on he told the other guy to 'fuck off faggot'. My friend was trying his damnedest to insult the guy, but it was only because the stranger turned out to be gay, that it really hit home. The immediate change from anger, to a look of fright mixed with sadness on the guy's face - and it all went quiet... Yeah, I couldn't call or support anyones right to do that. But that's just me.

Or debate with local policy for using abusive language. I think we got kicked out for my friend being loud though.

Those in charge of Parliamentary law, and those in charge of local policy (work/forums/newspapers), have different demands placed on them, I guess.

I agree roughly with your middle point there, but on the other hand, it was your friend's choice to use the word faggot, just as it is your choice to be friends with someone who'll use that language. I've personally defriended people for their constant use of homophobic, racist and sexist language. It's a choice whether you want to be around someone who talks like that.

But personally (as with my friends), I don't really consider cunt to be a mysogynistic word, at least not in the context I or my friends use it. Now, if I went up to a woman and hiss/spat at her "you fucking cunt", that's fucked up. But using it casually, usually aimed at men.... whatever conext that once meant woman has been entirely removed from the equation. If someone overhearing wants to take offence then... sorry, if that's the worst thing to happen to you all day then you can call that a win.

Anyway, I reckon I should drop this as I'm all cunted out for the time being. I just find these language matters fun to debate. They're so subjective, it's good arguement (in the friendly manner) fodder.

Meadows

Banned
If someone could put Jeremy Hunt in my avatar in an imaginative way I won't mention Manchester, York University or my GF for a week. I will also try not to get banned.

daviyoung

Banned
Don't know why this randomly popped into my head, but did the full story ever emerge about the millionaire who killed his wife and daughter and burned the house down? It was on a country estate of sorts (and I'm not sure whether the arson is a different case)

I think it happened roughly a year and a half ago. I tried to Google it but failed.

Michael Marin is the most recent but no-one was hurt in the fire.

Yen

I have a question about the British Olympic team. Do athletes from Northern Ireland represent the kingdom ? If yes, why refer them as Team GB and not team UK ?

Yeah, NI athletes can compete for GB, but you can choose to compete for Ireland instead. Don't know about "Team UK".

Ashes

Banned
I agree roughly with your middle point there, but on the other hand, it was your friend's choice to use the word faggot, just as it is your choice to be friends with someone who'll use that language. I've personally defriended people for their constant use of homophobic, racist and sexist language. It's a choice whether you want to be around someone who talks like that.

But personally (as with my friends), I don't really consider cunt to be a mysogynistic word, at least not in the context I or my friends use it. Now, if I went up to a woman and hiss/spat at her "you fucking cunt", that's fucked up. But using it casually, usually aimed at men.... whatever conext that once meant woman has been entirely removed from the equation. If someone overhearing wants to take offence then... sorry, if that's the worst thing to happen to you all day then you can call that a win.

Anyway, I reckon I should drop this as I'm all cunted out for the time being. I just find these language matters fun to debate. They're so subjective, it's good arguement (in the friendly manner) fodder.

Fair enough. That friend is best friends with someone who is gay though. But I suppose he is like others who take the issuing of offence lightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom