• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
I must confess that I never got why people liked Hustle. The whole thing felt like a British take on an American idea but not nearly as good.

Suairyu

Banned
Just how dead are we talking? I was there just a year ago and they had proper big Afterburner Climax cabinets, Fighting Jam (Fist Of The North Star) cabinets, Japanese-style fighting cabs set up so you can't see what your opponent is entering, a shiny HD Virtua Fighter 5 cab, Outrun, drum machines...

Is it just shut or something?

"Can't afford uni" Is still a bullshit excuse, you don't have to pay it till after, and even then you barely pay it. Just do what you like.

I thought I could afford University, but it turns out I couldn't, and this was before the financial crisis hit.

I did an Undergraduate Degree in Pharmacology, then a PGCE in Primary Education, then a Masters degree in Primary Education. The latter two I did mostly off my own back.

My parents had to lend me about £2000 over the course of just my Pharmacology degree to help me make ends meet. I was working at that time too during evenings and 16 hours at the weekend. I was part of the 'means tested' group that meant that I wasn't flat out disadvantaged, but the level of loan I got from the Student Loan Company was nowhere near enough to get me through. That group exists.

My family is by no means wealthy either. We come from a poor area in Thurrock. The interesting thing is that I am rather frugal with money and resources - like my parents.

Students aren't short sighted. They look at the system as a whole - including their life prospects after the course. For example the housing market is not friendly to students, particularly students looking for a place of their own. Job prospects aren't that hot in most professions either.

Its not just about getting through the course, but living with the debt and the prospects of no job and an inability to move out that students factor in when declaring that they cannot afford University.

After finishing my three courses I was personally in £32,000 of debt to the government and then at about £2400 to my parents. Granted, my route through University is not common, but I doubt anyone would dare to take that route now that things have changed.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just how dead are we talking? I was there just a year ago and they had proper big Afterburner Climax cabinets, Fighting Jam (Fist Of The North Star) cabinets, Japanese-style fighting cabs set up so you can't see what your opponent is entering, a shiny HD Virtua Fighter 5 cab, Outrun, drum machines...

Is it just shut or something?

What was the arcade is closed off completely. What is left is a handful of machines on the basement floor. Machines were actually is use surprisingly so theres obviously a market left for arcades, it's just that no one knows how to tap into it.

Lets just say the first machine you see is the first House of the Dead randomly placed next to an escalator and let that be the summery of what it is like now.

I propose a meetup in Lincoln. As Chris B is down the road and Dabookerman is well overdue another visit. I suppose one or two more could make it but I don't have the biggest front room.

Ignore me on meetups, actually.

iPlayer advice: use TVCatchup.com. You can get better quality on that. It's legit for UK people if you have a TV license etc.

I agree with this post. I'm happy to go Lincoln again and run up steep hill.

Suairyu

Banned
What was the arcade is closed off completely. What is left is a handful of machines on the basement floor. Machines were actually is use surprisingly so theres obviously a market left for arcades, it's just that no one knows how to tap into it.

Lets just say the first machine you see is the first House of the Dead randomly placed next to an escalator and let that be the summery of what it is like now.
Oh god that is so depressing. I have so many memories of that place. Whenever I hit London I always make a point of going there. Guess not anymore...

Are there any decent sized arcades left in London?
That Namco place by the London Eye, but it's a bit shite if you ask me. Never had anything near the breadth of content, both in terms of genre and decade, compared to the Trocadero.

There are a few smaller arcades sprinkled about Soho and other nearby districts that cater to fighting game fans, but I've never seen them pull in decently sized crowds. Whereas I'd go into the Trocadero and get absolutely trounced at Street Fighter and just-about hold my own at Virtua Fighter, I've always been able to dominate what little competition there was at those smaller joints. The situation might be different now that Trocadero is shut down though.

Actually, one of my favourite memories ever was on a Tekken 5 (I think?) cab. It had a slot to put in a card so you could track your data and the like. Now, I don't play Tekken at all but I had a bit of nostalgia from playing Tekken 3 on the PSX years back, so I hop on a cab just to do an arcade mode run. A guy immediately heads to me, puts in his data card and challenges me. He had really good stats, too, but I just picked Hwoarang and hit kick repeatedly and won. He got really fucking pissed off at me for button bashing and being cheap and I just laughed at him.

Good times.

Meadows

Banned
Are there any Arcades in Manc?

There's a few decent cabinets in Affleck's but I'd be afraid I'd contract HIV by touching the machines.

Suairyu

Banned
Dude just buy some latex gloves you can get a pack of 5 pairs for £3.99 from Boots. Or you can buy Boot's own brand Latex free at 10 pairs for £2.19 if you have allergies but they're not quite as hygienic.

Meadows

Banned
Dude just buy some latex gloves you can get a pack of 5 pairs for £3.99 from Boots. Or you can buy Boot's own brand Latex free at 10 pairs for £2.19 if you have allergies but they're not quite as hygienic.

I'd be on a whole new level of weird if I started skulking around the third floor of Affleck's wearing latex gloves

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I've only ever been in Afleck's once years ago.

I don't even know where it is.

I'd be on a whole new level of weird if I started skulking around the third floor of Affleck's wearing latex gloves

You'd probably fit in, actually. Maybe they'd think you were a tattooist, lol.

Meadows

Banned
CHEEZMO™;35275755 said:
I've only ever been in Afleck's once years ago.

I don't even know where it is.

near Piccadilly gardens and the Northern Quarter

it's a good laugh, some really unique shops

Meadows, you've clearly forgotten who UK-GAF's patron saint is

200px-Phil_Mitchell.JPG

Has anyone been to meat liquor? THinking about going since everyone is talking about it

Only thing though, the website makes it sounds awfully pretentious...

I know his name. I know literally nothing else about him. Wikipedia gives me no reason why I should, either.

Does this mean I have to hand in my UK-GAF card?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I know his name. I know literally nothing else about him. Wikipedia gives me no reason why I should, either.

Does this mean I have to hand in my UK-GAF card?

No, it just means you don't know your big end from whatever the opposite of your big end is.

painey

You can't buy tea in the US? Are they still throwing it into the sea to make a cuppa?

They have tea, just not PG tips. Tetley is a poor excuse.

It is and they're everywhere in Canada.

I've been all over the midwest and NYC.. you cannot get Heinz Baked beans unless they are imported. The closest you can get is some crappy brand in a tomato-ey sauce that tastes nothing like a good tin of Heinz.

America wins definitely, they've probably got about 300 varieties of Zinger burger.

American KFC sucks. They hardly have any burgers, and no Zingers at all. They are all about Kentucky Grilled Chicken which is some manky, sodium filled, fake tasting chicken... and they don't sell chips at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom