• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Papa Johns is better than Domino's IMO. Much less salty.

Both are hideously expensive though, and the 'personal' pizzas are fucking to tiny. Gotta have a large for myself, which basically only ever means I eat em on Tuesdays.

For great Italian food you want be in Peterborough or Bedford (both have massive Italian populations, their own Italian Consulates and a goodly number of proper family-run restaurants).

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
For great Italian food you want be in Peterborough or Bedford (both have massive Italian populations, their own Italian Consulates and a goodly number of proper family-run restaurants).

Problem is, you don't ever want to be in Bedford. It's like Lutons run off.

Scotland has a shit ton of italian immigrants too, they run most of our fish and chip shops for some reason. They all make great pizzas too actually, WTF am I ordering from Domino's? Probs the online ordering...

/life revelation..

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Problem is, you don't ever want to be in Bedford. It's like Lutons run off.

Yeah, tell me about it. I used to live there in the days it was a proper market town (cattle market right in the centre and all). Gone way downhill since it turned into a London commuter suburb.

Still prefer playing Bedfordshire skittles to this long-alley stuff we have in the West Country, but I think that's all I miss.

Arnie

Papa Johns is better than Domino's IMO. Much less salty.

Both are hideously expensive though, and the 'personal' pizzas are fucking to tiny. Gotta have a large for myself, which basically only ever means I eat em on Tuesdays.

The thing for me is that I live in a dense student area, so we have Dominos vouchers flying through the door on a weekly basis, and we're so inundated with them that we even throw some of them away.

Our area is so heavily targeted by Dominos that we can ring up and order a buy one get on free pizza at any time, on any day without even producing a voucher. The delivery guy doesn't even give a shit. He just charges us half price. Oh and I completed a survey for them over the phone and they promised me a free garlic bread on my next order, but every time I call and order I ask for it and they never refuse. I basically get half price Dominos and a free garlic bread with every order.

Oh and I'm not a huge guy so if I get a large it will do for my dinner and my lunch the next day.

Grilled tuna steak in a garlic, parsley and lime marinade with boiled veggies on the side. Was awesome. My gf raged at me when I bought a £40 griddle pan, but who's laughing now, indoor barbecues rock.
This combined with your name is brilliant.

Adrian Chiles speaks so much crap.

I loved his guest appearance in the last House of the Dead game

the-house-of-the-dead-overkill-20080818065536697-000.jpg

This combined with your name is brilliant.

zomg, I love bbq's, ftw?

No, I do love barbecues, and it sucks that winter is so long here so that griddle pan opens up so many cooking options when it's cold. I have a cast iron one and I can make awesome Nandos chicken on it if I put it on the largest burner with super high heat.

To distract from food.

I don't get all this Downstairs Abbey shit that seems to be popular. It's just 'ponce ponce ponce, don't you know there's as war on, ponce ponce ponce'.

I know World War 2 was kinda big but I'm also kinda bored by it now in drama. Turns out it was a bit shitty.

daviyoung

Banned
To distract from food.

I don't get all this Downstairs Abbey shit that seems to be popular. It's just 'ponce ponce ponce, don't you know there's as war on, ponce ponce ponce'.

I know World War 2 was kinda big but I'm also kinda bored by it now in drama. Turns out it was a bit shitty.
Middle England laps up that bullshit.

To distract from food.

The first series was good, but then I got to uni and my telly watching became non-existent, basically. It was just, eh, enjoyable. Not as up its own arse as most TV period dramas. The war stuff wasn't really a thing in S1- maybe you'd be better starting there? *shrug*

Might give it a go, because it's never fun to miss out on good stuff. Other half insisted on watching Upstairs Downstairs tonight and it was just bilge.

Arnie

CHEEZMO™;35283529 said:
BK have the best chips out of the big 3.

Any other opinion is factually incorrect.

Agreed, it's that coating. And they actually taste like potato.

They have the best burgers too.

Might give it a go, because it's never fun to miss out on good stuff. Other half insisted on watching Upstairs Downstairs tonight and it was just bilge.

So, here's the thing- Downton is basically modern day Upstairs Downstairs, but with a bit more flair. Upstairs was resurrected to capitalise on Downton's success, pretty much. That's why it exists, so I'm not surprised to see it's crap, even if it does have River Song in it.

Empty

i was expecting popular television in recession/austerity britain to be about grittty social realism not upper class country estate nonsense

though i do understand that downton is meant to be good

Chinner

Banned
i should write a tv program real talk i think it would be good but i dont think anyone would want a script from a scrub like me.

It's escapism.

Which is weird, because popular British taste in TV doesn't normally feature much escapism... besides Doctor Who. Maybe my idea of ideal TV escapism differs from normal though- I suppose the 'YOU CAN BE FAMOUS!!!!1' reality shows might count as escapism.

Anyway, Downton's success also probably has a lot to do with its positioning with X-Factor/BGT (I forget which) in the schedules.

Arnie

I've never even seen an episode of Downtown. I just assume all period dramas are shite.

I second that assumption.

Although I did sit through half an hour of Pride and Prejudice when I worked at Odeon once, there was fuck all to do so I just disappeared into a screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom