• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
1 - Emulators are perfectly legal
2 - If Nintendo thinks I'm paying them a second time for their rom copies of carts I already purchased as a kid, they've got another thing coming.

Not an outrageous position to have, indeed.

Of course, the best, best SNES games are actually Mega Drive games.

Fuck the Mega Drivel and its murky colour palette! I never had one but my mates did, everything about it from the controller to the carts felt budget.

What are some good Mega Drive games then? Preferably not side scrolling beat em ups, I hated those. I like platformers, adventure games and RPGs. And shmups.

Speaking of which, I got into Pop n Twinbee last night, that was an awesome shmup on the snes and beautiful to boot. Going back to these old games reminds me that Konami used to be the shit. Whatever happened to Konami?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Reading back through Total! Nintendo magazine to find good games - apparently Nintendo will be releasing a 32 bit colour handheld codenamed Atlantis in 1996! Wow! Between that and the Ultra 64 I'll be a happy 12 year old!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I miss opening my SNES games. There was something about pulling out that white draw and taking out this chunky cartridge. DVD cases just can't replicate that feeling, especially as you open them all the time. You only open that box once per game so the feeling was fresh every time.

As for favourite game, it's A Link to the Past for nostalgia reasons.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If you like Twinbee, get Pop'n TwinBee: Rainbow Bell Adventures. It's a platformer set in the Twinbee universe with a funky soundtrack.

And when I say get, I mean via your legal avenue of choice of course.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
All I played on my snes was super Mario all stars... Still the best looking remaster to the this day. That is a fact.

Getting some Terraria itch today at work... Can't wait to go deep underground and come across some great stuff.. Might start construction to the great tower of Kentpaul when I get home tonight complete with a big shift leading right down to the underworld.. Oh boy do I have a project on my hands tonight.

Lirlond

Anyone else play that evolution action platformer game? Think it was called E.V.O path to Eden or something? I really liked that

Suairyu

Banned
What are some good Mega Drive games then? Preferably not side scrolling beat em ups, I hated those. I like platformers, adventure games and RPGs. And shmups.
Shame about the beat em ups, else I would have suggested Streets Of Rage. That's also a game series that shows why in the right hands (there were very few of those) the Mega Drive produced better sound than the SNES.

Quick list because I'm at work:

Platformers/Action/Adventure:
Sonic, duh. Unlike Mario's "hold right to win", the levels are labyrinthine and multi-tiered. Some of the best graphics and art on the console, too.
Adventures of Batman and Robin. Superior to the SNES version, in my opinion.
Rocket Knight Adventures.

RPGs:
Phantasy Star IV is one of the greatest 16 bit RPGs. It deserves to be spoken of in the same breath as Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger (though I do think those games were better).
Fuck all else because SNES was far superior in that regard.

It's also worth noting the Mega Drive had the best 16bit console version of Street Fighter. The faster processor meant all the frames of animation could be displayed, making it much more arcade accurate and something you could practice with. The music, while definitely worse than the SNES version, was also actually more arcade accurate.

But really, I was being silly. Both Mega Drive and SNES were amazing. I think it was the only gen ever where you couldn't pick a "own this console and you're set" choice. Unlike the NES, PS1, PS2 and XBOX 360.

Mega Drive owned for arcade gameplay. I'll do a better list later.

SKINNER!

Banned
sigh at idiotic people sending nasty tweets to her.

I mean, I would too! but not to offend and hurt her feelings.... stanleyfromtheofficeusanoddinginagreement.gif

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I always have to go with Starfox, or DK Country. Very hard to decide, but those are my fondest memories.

YEah Starfox was the shit. I remember everything about that game - reading previews and then reviews, going out on my birthday to pick it up, only playing 10 minutes of it because it was late and I had school the next day. Being blown away by the 3d graphics (not even textured polys!) and the digitised speech. The sounds of your squadmates. The warp zones! I went through this one warp zone for over an hour once because that was where Fox's dad was lost, I thought I might find him if I stayed there long enough.

One of my favourite games of all time, easily.

I was easily impressed back then though, I even liked Stunt Race FX.

Suairyu

Banned
Star Fox is the ultimate "this game is good because NOSTALGIA" game in my mind. It does not hold up in the slightest. Awful framerate, DPAD controls for a ship and rather dull levels. It must have been mind-blowing to SNES-only kids at the time but anyone who'd ever been to an arcade or played on PC would have seen it for what it was.

Fantastic music, though.

Also, fuck me, will have to get into work at 8am tomorrow to make a call to New Zealand. Who fucking lives in New Zealand? Bloody kiwis.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Shame about the beat em ups, else I would have suggested Streets Of Rage. That's also a game series that shows why in the right hands (there were very few of those) the Mega Drive produced better sound than the SNES.

Quick list because I'm at work:

Platformers/Action/Adventure:
Sonic, duh. Unlike Mario's "hold right to win", the levels are labyrinthine and multi-tiered. Some of the best graphics and art on the console, too.
Adventures of Batman and Robin. Superior to the SNES version, in my opinion.
Rocket Knight Adventures.

RPGs:
Phantasy Star IV is one of the greatest 16 bit RPGs. It deserves to be spoken of in the same breath as Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger (though I do think those games were better).
Fuck all else because SNES was far superior in that regard.

It's also worth noting the Mega Drive had the best 16bit console version of Street Fighter. The faster processor meant all the frames of animation could be displayed, making it much more arcade accurate and something you could practice with. The music, while definitely worse than the SNES version, was also actually more arcade accurate.

But really, I was being silly. Both Mega Drive and SNES were amazing. I think it was the only gen ever where you couldn't pick a "own this console and you're set" choice. Unlike the NES, PS1, PS2 and XBOX 360.

Mega Drive owned for arcade gameplay. I'll do a better list later.

Nice, thanks for the list! I do like Batman and Robin on the Snes anyway, I may try the Mega Drive version. And Phantasy Star is one of those games I've heard of forever but never played, I do love an old school RPG (just finished Earthbound and starting FF6!).

I was never big into Sonic though - you mention 'hold right to win' and that's what I always felt about Sonic, I felt like I never had control over what I was doing, like it was mostly luck. But then again, I was a little kid back then (a little kid who got all the Exits on Mario World nonetheless - I still remember the level 'Tubular'. Fuck that level). A now Sonic has been ruined by Cheezmo and his dirty ilk :p

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Star Fox is the ultimate "this game is good because NOSTALGIA" game in my mind. It does not hold up in the slightest. Awful framerate, DPAD controls for a ship and rather dull levels. It must have been mind-blowing to SNES-only kids at the time but anyone who'd ever been to an arcade or played on PC would have seen it for what it was.

Fantastic music, though.

Also, fuck me, will have to get into work at 8am tomorrow to make a call to New Zealand. Who fucking lives in New Zealand? Bloody kiwis.

Nah brah, it's still good, trust. I played it all (with the original SNES!) about 5 years back. The framerate is shitty, yeah but it controls really well and the harder levels can be quite inventive and devious. I always love the level with the sea monster, that water blew my mind!

Of course, it doesn't hold up like a Mario or Metroid game, but it is a fascinating window into the history of 3d graphics and quite a nice little shooter at the same time. I would kill (or at least mutilate my genitals) for a remake.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Anyone else play that evolution action platformer game? Think it was called E.V.O path to Eden or something? I really liked that

I don't think I ever played it but I do remember the ads in comics back in the day. What was good about it? How did the evolution stuff work?

EDIT: oh fuck, 4 posts in a row. This is what I do, I read through a thread and reply. Then I go back to reading, and reply again. Rinse and repeat until all the interesting posts have been replied to.

Kentpaul

I don't think I ever played it but I do remember the ads in comics back in the day. What was good about it? How did the evolution stuff work?

EDIT: oh fuck, 4 posts in a row. This is what I do, I read through a thread and reply. Then I go back to reading, and reply again. Rinse and repeat until all the interesting posts have been replied to.
Multi quote Bro.. If there's justice you should be hit with a week ban for the chaos you have caused. You won't forget after that.. And the dude on the last Page who admitted stealing Nintendo roms.. The mighty ban hammer will be crashing down. Meadows has already grassed I bet.

Xd

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
All I played on my snes was super Mario all stars... Still the best looking remaster to the this day. That is a fact.
Don't say that on gaming side. GAF is the first place I've seen that hates All Stars.

Contra 3 and Parodius are the best SNES games.
Contra III? What are you, a yankee sympathiser? In this green and pleasant land we call it Super Probotector!

sigh at idiotic people sending nasty tweets to her.
Some people were just not ready for the dark side of the web.

And the dude on the last Page who admitted stealing Nintendo roms.
Someone did literally do that and they only got a temp (Basically said he was ripping his Wii games and then going to sell them). Apparently they've lightened up since the days when they would ask for photographic proof you owned a copy.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Jedeye did you really just post four times in a row?

It would have been 5 but then I remembered the edit button...

Multi quote Bro.. If there's justice you should be hit with a week ban for the chaos you have caused. You won't forget after that.. And the dude on the last Page who admitted stealing Nintendo roms.. The mighty ban hammer will be crashing down. Meadows has already grassed I bet.

Xd

tadaaa!

And I would certainly never steal a rom. Shame on those that do!! I actually send my money back in time to the relevant developers using a special fax machine I invented.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Had to change the ribbon in the office fax machine today. No one had a clue how to do it because it's been so long since the last change.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
CHEEZMO™;40551931 said:
This just makes you sound like the office old dude.

Well I'm actually one of the youngest but I'm in IT Support so everyone thinks I know how machines work automatically, even ones I've never touched before. Ended up looking for the manual online.

Suairyu

Banned
Nice, thanks for the list! I do like Batman and Robin on the Snes anyway, I may try the Mega Drive version.
It's not really a different version, but a completely different game.

I was never big into Sonic though - you mention 'hold right to win' and that's what I always felt about Sonic, I felt like I never had control over what I was doing, like it was mostly luck.
It really isn't. Outside of the opening levels, you rarely go SPEED SPEED SPEED in the early Sonic games. You can speedrun a Mario game much faster than a Sonic game, and without ever taking your finger off "right". I don't know where the "hold right to win" meme came from for Sonic. It couldn't be further from the truth.

Action/Adventure/Platformer:
Shinobi III - FUCKING NINJAS AND SWORDS AND ROCKET-POWERED SURFBOARDS OMG
Castlevania Bloodlines - A worthy addition to the series that hardly anyone acknowledges because it aint Nintendo or something.
Comix Zone - yeah I know you said no beat-em-up's but just fucking look at this, okay? That fucking art. That fucking style. The combat has depth, too. It's seriously one of my fondest gaming memories ever and it holds up!
Ecco The Dolphin - If you're a bad person you'll find this game dull. But let me tell you what this game really is:
- 1: Atmospheric as a Ridley Scott film
- 2: Completely unique gameplay you'll never get anywhere else
- 3: Good looking
- 4: One of the earliest examples of a videogame narrative that was worth a damn. Seriously. (Just get it on Mega CD rather than Mega Drive for the superior musics)
Ristar - HOLY GRAVY LOOK HOW FUCKING COLOURFUL IT IS
Streets of Rage 2 - look, just listen to the music, okay? SNES couldn't do this shit.

Mega-CD Bonus Round Adventure Game Kojima Love:
Snatcher - Blade Runner: The Point And Click Adventure Game. Yes, I know there was an official one, too. Whatever. Snatcher is the fucking tits.
You're not going to find this affordable anywhere so you'll have to prove BGBW right to play it. Nobody on GAF will think less of you for it.

Why do people even use faxes anymore.
1 - Everyone uses them because everyone uses them
2 - Technically more reliable than email
3 - Everyone uses them because everyone uses them
4 - Someone needs to get on making a multi-feed scanner than automatically emails for you, too.
5 - Everyone uses them because everyone uses them

I fucking hate faxing, but I understand why it has stuck around.

SKINNER!

Banned
Mega-CD Bonus Round Adventure Game Kojima Love:
Snatcher - Blade Runner: The Point And Click Adventure Game. Yes, I know there was an official one, too. Whatever. Snatcher is the fucking tits.
You're not going to find this affordable anywhere so you'll have to prove BGBW right to play it. Nobody on GAF will think less of you for it.

UmnLW.gif

Love this game and I hold my copy of it close to my chest.

Darren870

Just got back from Womens Beach Volleyball. Was a blast.

USA won (as we do...), GB lost...sorry guys! Was hoping they would beat the Soviets...

f0rk

I feel like I pay too much attention to really enjoy Doctor Who, like I have no suspension of disbelief. Time travel can be so dumb.

Suairyu

Banned
Time travel can be so dumb.
The best episodes weave time travel into the core of the storytelling. There aren't a lot of those, unfortunately.

But some do - like the Christmas Carol special. Even most Who haters I know really liked that episode as simple great sci-fi/character storytelling.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm curious, but am I alone in disliking Doctor Who?

Could never get into it. Guess i could never suspend disbelief either, all the crappy looking rubber aliens and that.

Don't say that on gaming side. GAF is the first place I've seen that hates All Stars.

GAF Doesn't like All-Stars? Fucking serious?

Kentpaul

Could never get into it. Guess i could never suspend disbelief either, all the crappy looking rubber aliens and that.

GAF Doesn't like All-Stars? Fucking serious?

Gaf hates good games, All stars FTW , Cod games FTW! Gaf also hates good drinks.. SODA FTW,

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member

Neither could I, though it does seem to have improved and gotten a bit more appealing since RT Davies left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom