• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys would be horrified if that were the case. I get the sense that it's like unpatriotic not to like that word or something. But no, I'm American.

Oooooh you're an American. Makes perfect sense now. Yes your use of the word 'like' before the word 'unpatriotic' clearly shows you as being American now.

should you really be posting this kind of information online?

Why not? It's hardly top secret information. The industry has known for a while that Sony have been scouting around to open up a European finance unit since finance and insurance is their only profitable division they want to expand it. I was just surprised that they approached me to work for them.

We've been saying at work that Sony are on their way to becoming a bank with an electronics, game and content business on the side. Now that they are expanding their finance unit, it pretty much secures their future as a company since they will easily make $2bn+ annually from financial services.

SmokyDave

we dunt like yurr kind aarand hurr

Yeah we do. The Americans that find their way into this green and sceptred topic are welcome because they are the bold, the adventurous and the inquisitive.

Just as long as they don't start posting on the wrong side of the page or something.

Meadows

Banned
Why not? It's hardly top secret information. The industry has known for a while that Sony have been scouting around to open up a European finance unit since finance and insurance is their only profitable division they want to expand it. I was just surprised that they approached me to work for them.

better you than me, I wouldn't want to talk about industry stuff online like this.

Yeah we do. The Americans that find their way into this green and sceptred topic are welcome because they are the bold, the adventurous and the inquisitive.

Just as long as they don't start posting on the wrong side of the page or something.

I thought we only made exceptions for Americans that live here?

Darren870

We've been saying at work that Sony are on their way to becoming a bank with an electronics, game and content business on the side. Now that they are expanding their finance unit, it pretty much secures their future as a company since they will easily make $2bn+ annually from financial services.

Sounds almost like what GE did/does. Their stock got killed (and still hasn't recovered really) because of their finance division.

SteveWD40

z1cjl.gif

Sounds almost like what GE did/does. Their stock got killed (and still hasn't recovered really) because of their finance division.

Indeed. GE Capital was poorly run, I expect Sony Finance to be more conservative given the Japanese roots. Hence the low yield $2bn annually.

SKINNER!

Banned
Yeah similar to risk but it's got a lot more strategy and less randomness even if it does still use dice. Started playing it when I was about 16 and it's still one of my favourite board games. Highly recommend it.

Ah nice! It really does look sophisticated. Will definitely keep an eye out for it :)

It is, but Blood Bowl Team Manager is just a card game based around it. Really quick and simple, but a hell of a lot of fun.

My group has actually just started playing Necromunda a few weeks ago. Loving it so far, but my gang is taking a beating like you wouldn't believe!

Have got MGS Risk too - it's actually not all that great compared to LoTR and 2210, but it's still worth giving a go if you've played a lot of the other versions.

I haven't played Axis and Allies, but your best bet is to go somewhere like boardgamegeek and take a look at what's about.

Where are you, btw? If you're not too far off then maybe we could set up some kind of introductory session to Risk or something?

I'm currently in Glasgow but will be at the London Meetup next month. We should get some UK-Gaffers and have a board game session at some point in the distant future.

I get the sense that it's like unpatriotic not to like that word or something. But no, I'm American.

Even BBC News are ok with the word. Ok, maybe not but it's so frequently used in everyday conversation here and this guy used the word in a positive manner.

Not that its frequently used here but what is your opinion on the word "schmuck"? Its not really THAT offensive these days but its original meaning is still offensive.

Mumei

Eh.

I don't plan on becoming a regular in this topic. Feels weird.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yes, precisely.

And it isn't really like some other subcommunity topics where you can be a non-member and still participate.

Nah man, you can participate all you like in here. This is one of the weirdest, free-est threads on the board, we talk about everything. Sometimes we even talk about games (but shhhh, otherwise we'll get moved).

Yen

Nah man, you can participate all you like in here. This is one of the weirdest, free-est threads on the board, we talk about everything. Sometimes we even talk about games (but shhhh, otherwise we'll get moved).

Yeah, blahblah...blah says nintendo only make silly, kiddy games and he only plays big boy stud like Call of Duty. Ban him, Mumei!

daviyoung

Banned
I've heard tell of plenty of others to the North and the West, but I try not to venture too far.

I stick to Essex, Hampshire, Surrey and The Garden of England myself. The Holy Quadrinity. These tales you've been hearing of faraway homeless counties, I'd keep them to yourself if I were you.

Mikeside

I stick to Essex, Hampshire, Surrey and The Garden of England myself. The Holy Quadrinity. These tales you've been hearing of faraway homeless counties, I'd keep them to yourself if I were you.

Throw Berkshire in there for good measure, as it's the Royal County and all. The Holy Quintinity?

Yeah, I try not to think about elsewhere, lest the nightmares come back.

daviyoung

Banned
Throw Berkshire in there for good measure, as it's the Royal County and all. The Holy Quintinity?

Yeah, I try not to think about elsewhere, lest the nightmares come back.

Can have Sussex for Arundel too. Sextinity?

Like monsters from fairytales, if you ignore them, they go away. So just keep doing that.

Mikeside

Can have Sussex for Arundel too. Sextinity?

Like monsters from fairytales, if you ignore them, they go away. So just keep doing that.

Sounds hot, I like it. Did you say 'The Garden of England' because you got confused and thought that KENT was the banned word?

...hmmm, there's a pun there. Kent, garden... lady garden...

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I kinda miss all the graphic card posts that Kentpaul posted a while ago. All them screenshots of Battlefield 3 looking so shiny.

Running it on sky high my wigsta, so you have xbox live I'm addicted to that new fears of war game. Fears because I bring the pain.

Six days clean from benzo fury folks. I'm a new man.

3Sixty

Hampshire's the best.

Love that the New Forrest is a stones throw away.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Oh god, turns out this job interview isn't just an interview, I have to prepare a 10 minute presentation on "What key information would you include in the Online Course Rep training and how would this information be presented" (the job is helping to develop an online course rep training module).

Damn, I thought this was just gonna be developing/programming, at least I have a week and a half to prepare, and they've put resources on the email.

Kentpaul

Oh god, turns out this job interview isn't just an interview, I have to prepare a 10 minute presentation on "What key information would you include in the Online Course Rep training and how would this information be presented" (the job is helping to develop an online course rep training module).

Damn, I thought this was just gonna be developing/programming, at least I have a week and a half to prepare, and they've put resources on the email.

Your fucked. I would be fucked anyway. Fuck trying to sell my self for ten minutes.

dazed808

Hampshire's the best.

Indeed it is. Unless you live in central Southampton which can be a bit sketchy at times.

And the less said about Portsmouth the better.

Everywhere else here is lovely though.

Great to see some other Saints supporters in here as well, gonna be an "interesting" season for us for sure, just hoping we can keep the score down on Sunday against Manc City.

I appreciate the optimism and support ;)

Just make sure you are a walking encyclopedia about the topic, and your ideas. Anticipate the questions they will probably ask, and any criticisms of your ideas.

Most important- if it needs to be ten minutes, do several timed run throughs of your presentation. Don't get caught with your balls swaying in the wind by having too little/much You'll be fine!

Kentpaul

I appreciate the optimism and support ;)

You know I'm messing lad, gotta get the worse possible situation presented first. Nothing like starting a post with your fucked.

Going to a wedding tomorrow. Apparently it's four, five quid a pint. Oh. My. Days.

I'm predicting 3.20 a pint. That's the standard in my experience for worse case.

Who knows.

3Sixty

Hampshire is indeed the best, sea, plenty of beautiful countryside (and Portsmouth, but that just makes everything look even nicer).

Haha <3

Indeed it is. Unless you live in central Southampton which can be a bit sketchy at times.

And the less said about Portsmouth the better.

Everywhere else here is lovely though.

Great to see some other Saints supporters in here as well, gonna be an "interesting" season for us for sure, just hoping we can keep the score down on Sunday against Manc City.

Central is OK now really, with all the new apartment developments, especially down Ocean Village. Of course i'd still swerve away from St. Mary's

Fancy us for a point, Super Sunday, Champions vs Newly promoted outfit, sky will fix it.

3Sixty

You know I'm messing lad, gotta get the worse possible situation presented first. Nothing like starting a post with your fucked.

Going to a wedding tomorrow. Apparently it's four, five quid a pint. Oh. My. Days.

I'm predicting 3.20 a pint. That's the standard in my experience for worse case.

Who knows.

Went to a wedding reception in a fancy hotel down here last year.

Bought a round of Vodka & Coke (Single) 2 Bottles of Corona and a bottle of Magners.

£34.50.

Who knows.

Ouch- where is it being held? A golf club/hotel?

My friend is getting married in a few months. Really happy for him, but at 22 it is a huge commitment to make at such a young age. I'm still thinking part of the reason is to get his finance a green card so she can stay here (she's a yank).

What the fuck do I buy him as a wedding gift?

Who knows.

What kind of wedding doesn't have an open bar!

Mikeside

What kind of wedding doesn't have an open bar!

The worst kind.

Best wedding I went to was a friend's where the bar was open, but only at random times to save the tab getting too huge.

You'd go up and order a pint, try to pay and they'd say "no, tab's open"

"Oh... did I say a pint? I meant 3 pints, 2 vodka and cokes and a bottle of white wine, please?......oh and can I grab a few bags of Walkers?"

So drunk...

Seanbob11

Who knows.

Sadly for me that's just the standard price around here. Hell, it's quite cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom