• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
Wimpy was so overpriced.

re: my favourite. I don't have one. During Uni I worked at a "fast food" burger bar that used locally sourced meat and veg. Think Gourmet Burger Kitchen but more reasonably priced and like in Subway you could pick all your salad and sauce at no extra cost. We also did things like pan-friend salmon/tuna steak burgers and mexican chilli-chocolate sauces. Most importantly we didn't have a "the customer is always right" attitude and we'd tell people to fuck off if they were being a hassle. Best job I ever had.

FreeMufasa

T Cover Letter

Standard-T-cover-letter.jpg

Yoink!

Qasiel

Wimpy's great! Sadly the two nearest to me have now gone (one closed down and the other was lost in the riots. Seriously, why would anyone destroy a Wimpy??).

Favourite one would probably be KFC for taste, but BK for convinience.

Suairyu

Banned
Was? There are still a few dotted around, south London has quite a few.
Really? Haven't seen one in years. I assumed they finally went bust. Guess not.

edit - ew guys stop liking Burger King. All their burgers are microwaved. At least McDonalds fries them there and then.

If anyone actually uses that format I'll cry for them.

It's unconventional, but the basic structure is ideal - just convert it to paragraph form, as opposed to columns of bullet points. I've never really had a problem with cover letters, I do far better with CV + cover letter applications than with online forms which require filling in bullshit competency questions.

Suairyu

Banned
Guess what, if you write a long, 2 page cover letter, unless its for a position paying 35k or more, there's a really good chance they won't read it.
Well no shit. A cover letter should ideally be three or four paragraphs and not even take up an entire page.

I mean the idea behind that format is correct, but it's really lazy. You're meant to grab their attention with your words, not give a product specification on yourself. Bullet points are for the CV.

edit - beaten by blah.

And it's not that I have a problem with cover letters, it's more I've never written one for an apprenticeship before. I'm used to writing them for jobs I actually have relevant experience for, rather than something where the point is you don't have experience at all.

subway's probably my favourite, i eat it lots. good choices on the menu and reasonable prices, that £3 lunch deal is good. the student meal used to be £3 though and that had a cookie or crisps as well though :(

f0rk

Fatso's sandwiches are my new favourite. Last time I went to Subway one of the meatballs wasn't defrosted properly :<

Where do you live: Carshalton, Surrey
Where are you from: Carshalton, Surrey
University:
KuGsj.gif

Sports team of choice: Arsenal :(
Current political party of choice: Well, I chose Lib Dems last time
Barm, batch, cob or bun: bun, duh!
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Normally hate UK tv, but Sherlock and Luther was fantastic. Much prefer US tv anyway.
Oasis or Blur: Blur ftw!

Edit: Damn, messed up the formatting :(

Oh well.

Suprised to see so many UK guys here, awesome!

Suairyu

Banned
You can't beat a sausage bacon and egg sandwich from some snack van somewhere.
They never look or taste that good. Never.

Last time I had anything served from a van I felt ill. I never feel ill from eating stuff. And I was at the required amount of alcohol to find donner kebabs tasty, so a van burger shouldn't have been a problem.

I remember the swf from that time that chap called Suairyu posted it in the Take Me Out thread five weeks ago.

So alright, Knuckles? You too slow. No wonder you were demoted from status of Sonic's rival.

Omikaru

What's everyones favourite fast food chain?

I don't really eat at any of the chains (all their vegetarian options suck) except Domino's Pizza and Pizza Hut (though they're hardly what I'd call great pizza places -- they're only a notch above most frozen pizzas, and that's not saying much), but there's a great ice cream place on City Road in Cardiff called Ice Cream Passion. Their ice cream is awesome, but their cookie dough and milkshakes are to die for.

I highly recommend any Cardiff-based people check them out.

You can't beat a sausage bacon and egg sandwich from some snack van somewhere.

3424d1317869736t-gms-really-good-eats-food-thread-31.sausage-bacon-egg-roll.jpg
To be fair, if that came from a snack van, the bap would be going stale and crumbly, the fried egg would be black around the edges from being overcooked, and you'd probably catch the Norovirus from simply touching it.

Arnie

Where do you live:Sheffield
Where are you from:Preston
University:Sheffield
Sports team of choice:Liverpool
Current political party of choice:Honestly couldn't care less. I know this makes me a terrible person.
Barm, batch, cob or bun:Barm. Batch is a ridiculous term.
Favourite (current) UK TV show:Match of the Day (jesus christ)
Oasis or Blur:Oasis. Blur are cunts. I'm not a huge music fan anyway. Just go to festivals because I like drinking in the sun with my mates.

SteveWD40

Not sure how wide spread they are, seems like just Manchester and Newcastle for now but it is a franchise...

Rice

Flame Grilled dishes from all over Asia and the Americas, open plan kitchen so you can see the chefs work (and they are impressive, lots of flipping flaming woks), really delish food and you can either eat in or take away with ease (they use a ticket system), they also deliver and do corporate discounts. The one near Oxford Road is an actual resteraunt with a private dining area.

35765_441445691822_512341822_5890892_1622665_n.jpg

Best way to line the stomach before a night out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i wish i was talented and/or had a skill. i imagine life would be more meaningful/

its over-rated. Unless you are skilled and work in a company that uses that skill properly, you'll still be frustrated. Skilled in an organisation full of muppets is not fun

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just spent two hours creating the perfect cover letter for an internship I doubt I'll even get a courtesy "you were not successful" letter to.

ISN'T THIS LOOKING FOR EMPLOYMENT LARK FUN?!

At least you're paying attention and tuning your cover letters. You doing the same for your CV?

Too many people throw out template cover letters and wonder why they don't get replies. Putting some effort in can make it frustrating when you don't get a reply, but it'll pay off in the end.

...there's a great ice cream place on City Road in Cardiff called Ice Cream Passion. Their ice cream is awesome, but their cookie dough and milkshakes are to die for.

I highly recommend any Cardiff-based people check them out.
Second your recommendation, and hello fellow Cardiff-Gaf (I've spotted at least two of you in here!)

EDIT:
Fast food chain: Burger King fries, KFC tower burger, McDonalds milkshake.

Not sure how wide spread they are, seems like just Manchester and Newcastle for now but it is a franchise...

Rice

Flame Grilled dishes from all over Asia and the Americas, open plan kitchen so you can see the chefs work (and they are impressive, lots of flipping flaming woks), really delish food and you can either eat in or take away with ease (they use a ticket system), they also deliver and do corporate discounts. The one near Oxford Road is an actual resteraunt with a private dining area.

35765_441445691822_512341822_5890892_1622665_n.jpg

Best way to line the stomach before a night out.

Been there once to the one in Newcastle. So so good, didn't know about the take away thing though. Im going to have to look into that!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
But you get a plate.

I only ever went to Wimpy three times as a kid, and two of those times I broke a plate. It's not like I don't know how to use cutlery either, it's just whenever I went in there I'd bump something or trip and then feel deep shame as the staff had to clean up after me.

So yeah, fuck Wimpy.

Suairyu

Banned
Oooh, Rice looks like a cool chain.

You doing the same for your CV?
Yeah, I have three 'template' CVs on my harddrive depending on what rough industry I will be applying for, then I customise it further for the job at hand, emphasising certain aspects and putting in certain words like "methodical" etc. to fit the job description.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Well no shit. A cover letter should ideally be three or four paragraphs and not even take up an entire page.

I mean the idea behind that format is correct, but it's really lazy. You're meant to grab their attention with your words, not give a product specification on yourself. Bullet points are for the CV.

edit - beaten by blah.

And it's not that I have a problem with cover letters, it's more I've never written one for an apprenticeship before. I'm used to writing them for jobs I actually have relevant experience for, rather than something where the point is you don't have experience at all.

I dunno man, unless your words are fuck, cunt, shit or piss, I think most effort in a cover letter goes over the heads of the HR staff. However much you'd like to believe otherwise, you totally are a product that they'll be buying, and so I think that putting it in the most basic format like this could actually work better.

And it's not as if you ever put any of your actual personality into anything job-related anyway, lest you take your chances of an interview from 'gnat's chuff' to 'bugger all'.

As you can no doubt tell, I have applied to far too many jobs lately and heard precisely nothing back from any of them. I'm thinking of changing tack soon as just saying "Listen, I'm amazing, fucking hire me goddammit!". It has a good a chance as any carefully worded letter IMO.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Rice is ok. The food always looks appealing, but I've had some pretty lackluster meals there. Occasionally I'll get a Subway and then regret it halfway through. It depends on where you go. Wasabi does some good takeaway stuff, if you have one of those nearby give it a try. Saw someone walk away from there with what looked like a bucketful of the most heavenly smelling food the other day. Oh, and if you have to go to Burger King, make sure to ask them to cook the burger for you there and then, it'll take longer but it's much better. That's if you're not going for the much better Sweet Chilli Royale, anyway. If you're talking sit-down meal chains, the Chicken Katsu at Wagamamas is pretty awesome. Whenever I've been I've seen half the people there eating it.

I have applied to far too many jobs lately and heard precisely nothing back from any of them. I'm thinking of changing tack soon as just saying "Listen, I'm amazing, fucking hire me goddammit!". It has a good a chance as any carefully worded letter IMO.

You should do that, even if it's to apply for something shitty. As a kind of ... experiment! Please feedback here if you do.

Cover letter should be very basic (as mentioned above) IMO, especially if you are including a CV and/or application form.
Employers likely won't read the letter, they'll just take the vacancy detail and go with what's on your CV/application form.

Rice is ok. The food always looks appealing, but I've had some pretty lackluster meals there. Occasionally I'll get a Subway and then regret it halfway through. It depends on where you go. Wasabi does some good takeaway stuff, if you have one of those nearby give it a try. Saw someone walk away from there with what looked like a bucketful of the most heavenly smelling food the other day. Oh, and if you have to go to Burger King, make sure to ask them to cook the burger for you there and then, it'll take longer but it's much better. That's if you're not going for the much better Sweet Chilli Royale, anyway. If you're talking sit-down meal chains, the Chicken Katsu at Wagamamas is pretty awesome. Whenever I've been I've seen half the people there eating it.
Wasabi's is a great combo of price/taste. I always eat in them if I'm uptown.

Suairyu

Banned
I dunno man, unless your words are fuck, cunt, shit or piss, I think most effort in a cover letter goes over the heads of the HR staff. However much you'd like to believe otherwise, you totally are a product that they'll be buying, and so I think that putting it in the most basic format like this could actually work better.
When a person hiring for a new role has a stack of 100 CVs, usually the cover letter is all that'll get a look at. Don't like the cover letter? Entire CV in the bin. Everybody has roughly the same qualifications these days. It's more about selling yourself as a person, which is what a cover letter will do. A cover letter is kind of the first test, don't pass it and you CV won't even get looked at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom