• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

Hmm sweet chicken deli from McDonald's. Can't beat it.

On a side note, sorry to sway from the topic but has anyone here ordered their vita from play.com? Is your order still at the pre-order stage?

Meadows

Banned
Hmm sweet chicken deli from McDonald's. Can't beat it.

On a side note, sorry to sway from the topic but has anyone here ordered their vita from play.com? Is your order still at the pre-order stage?

why the fuck would you get that from McDs? It's expensive as fuck. If you're getting a sandwich and you don't have a decent deli/sandwich shop near you that does em' cheap or go to Subway (I'm gonna get one now on the way into uni :))

dc89

why the fuck would you get that from McDs? It's expensive as fuck. If you're getting a sandwich and you don't have a decent deli/sandwich shop near you that does em' cheap or go to Subway (I'm gonna get one now on the way into uni :))

Cause I like them?

And yea, I like Subway too. Turkey and Ham, cheese and toasted, lettuce, onion, gherkin with south west sauce.

God damn.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Whenever I'm in Manc I head to Barburrito in Piccadilly Gardens for a pulled pork burrito with lashings of chipotle Tabasco.
You can't beat Handmade Burger Co. for burgers, you just can't.
My signature sub would probably be BMT on honey oat, toasted, with peppers, onions, pickles, jalapenos and olives with sweet onion sawce. Crap, it's hours till lunch :(

Gav

Whenever I'm in Manc I head to Barburrito in Piccadilly Gardens for a pulled pork burrito with lashings of chipotle Tabasco.
My signature sub would probably be BMT on honey oat, toasted, with peppers, onions, pickles, jalapenos and olives with sweet onion sawce. Crap, it's hours till lunch :(

Barburrito is the best. I was stupidly happy when they opened in Leeds 2 years ago, as its only round the corner from me.
I spend a lot of time in there.

And damnit, i want a Subway now.

Nicktendo86

I'm in Manchester for work on Wednesday, might give this a bash.

Edit: oh is it true that there is a McDonald's in Manchester which is the only one in Britain that still sells the Mega Mac?

f0rk

UK GAF thread cycle
Seriousish topic -> random pictures of British institutions -> fast food -> seriousish topic

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Barburrito's tortilla chips taste like the old Phileas Fogg ones from the late 80's, so they're an instant nostalgia trip for me. Oh Phileas Fogg, what has become of you?

ageoftrain2.jpg

What do you think about Haye glassing Chisora?

I think that covers it.

Suairyu

Banned
What do you think about Haye glassing Chisora?
I think an absolute disgrace bottled an even bigger absolute disgrace in the face. Haye should have been banned from the sport for what he did. Chisora should stop being such a punk-ass bitch and treat a sport like it's a sport.

I think an absolute disgrace bottled an even bigger absolute disgrace in the face. Haye should have been banned from the sport for what he did. Chisora should stop being such a punk-ass bitch and treat a sport like it's a sport.

Meh, I think that's an over-reaction. It's got the sport on the front page again and has made Chisora better known. They'll get a slap on the wrist from BBBoC and hopefully fight in a sold out stadium in the Summer.

Suairyu

Banned
Meh, I think that's an over-reaction. It's got the sport on the front page again and has made Chisora better known. They'll get a slap on the wrist from BBBoC and hopefully fight in a sold out stadium in the Summer.
He bottled someone. In the face.

That's simple assault at best. More likely, intent to cause GBH.

That's a prison sentence minimum. Zero tolerance for this kind of bullshit, especially when they're public figureheads.

What do you guys think of Pizza Hut? The nearest large restaurant has closed down, which is strange because it was in a shopping centre - you'd think they'd have customers. They had this buffet offer which was a good deal but only up to 3pm. None of their other deals are in the least bit appealing. For one thing, their take aways are few and far between and their Pizza's aren't really that good anyway. But I'm so upset that I'll no longer be able to get the local buffet for my unlimited pasta :(

That's simple assault at best. More likely, intent to cause GBH.

That's a prison sentence minimum. Zero tolerance for this kind of bullshit, especially when they're public figureheads.

He threw a punch with the bottle in his hand, not sure he intended to bottle him. Was it a glass bottle? I couldn't really tell on the video.

To be honest, I'm not much of a fan of Haye (was a fan of his at cruiser but he's done fuck all at heavy really) but if there's one fucker that deserved a bottle in the face it's Chisora, he's a nasty bit of work, a woman beater and seems to have a screw loose.

Let's not forget that he had slapped Vitali in the face on the previous day and had threatened to do the same to Haye. If someone had threatened me previously and was then walking up to me aggressively whilst taking his jacket off, I'd chin the cunt too, probably mid taking his jacket off so he wouldn't be able to defend himself.

Despite all that I said about Chisora, he's an entertaining bastard.

f0rk

If only there was some sort of arena, perhaps within sport, where these two could settle their differences like gentlemen.

I was thinking about social services, but I don't really want to get involved. I don't know her very well, she is from my primary school and I only have her on fb.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
The next thing is I get a letter off them on the 18th, dated the 14th, that tells me that my policy was cancelled on the 11th. That means I'd been driving around for a week before getting this: if I'd crashed or been pulled by the police, I'd have a bill to deal with myself or a £200 fine, 8 points on my license and possibly my car impounded...

You'd also have lost your license - that's automatic for 6+ points on your license in the first two years. Nice, huh? And the bill would have been in addition to the other shit, not an alternative. Because it's almost guaranteed the other guy would have suffered from *cough* whiplash *cough*.

You'd probably actually have got off without the points if you had a halfway decent lawyer, though - there's special dispensation if you had reason to believe you were insured, which you did.

They're saying they did email me (they didn't)

Did you check your spam folder? Automated emails about this sort of thing can quite often end up there. It's just as likely that they're lying through their teeth, of course...

basically, I'm in a situation now where I either have to take out a new policy (now £900 as opposed to ~£670) and if I go with an EUI company again (Admiral/Elephant) I won't be able to pay monthly again. Competing companies are quoting me more, between £900 and £1100, but at least I'd be able to pay monthly...

I take it you've been through the advice here on getting the cheapest insurance? If not, do so.

It just seems to be an incredibly punishing response to a perfect storm of shitty circumstances that I experienced last month. Any advice?

Look at it this way; you were previously with an insurer who was willing to do whatever they could to screw you over. Now you're not. :p And it could have been so much worse if you'd been involved in an accident.

Make sure you get the insurance fixed as soon as possible, though - even if you're not driving the car you're required to have it insured (or registered for SORN).

Not really. He had a bottle in his hand when he punched the guy... there's a difference, although it's subtle.

The former generally results in smashed glass pushed into your face. The latter involves you getting wet.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So, here's the thing- Downton is basically modern day Upstairs Downstairs, but with a bit more flair. Upstairs was resurrected to capitalise on Downton's success, pretty much. That's why it exists, so I'm not surprised to see it's crap, even if it does have River Song in it.

And that cute girl with the unfortunate pigeon chest from Inbetweeners movie and How Not To Live Your Life (aka the secret best show on TV)

You'd also have lost your license - that's automatic for 6+ points on your license in the first two years. Nice, huh? And the bill would have been in addition to the other shit, not an alternative. Because it's almost guaranteed the other guy would have suffered from *cough* whiplash *cough*.

You'd probably actually have got off without the points if you had a halfway decent lawyer, though - there's special dispensation if you had reason to believe you were insured, which you did.

Did you check your spam folder? Automated emails about this sort of thing can quite often end up there. It's just as likely that they're lying through their teeth, of course...

I take it you've been through the advice here on getting the cheapest insurance? If not, do so.

Look at it this way; you were previously with an insurer who was willing to do whatever they could to screw you over. Now you're not. :p And it could have been so much worse if you'd been involved in an accident.

Make sure you get the insurance fixed as soon as possible, though - even if you're not driving the car you're required to have it insured (or registered for SORN).

Thanks for the advice man... really appreciated.

I removed my post, because strangely, minutes after posting it - I got a call from their customer services in response to the email I sent them last week. It was a guy from their customer services who was extremely sympathetic with the chain of events, and laid out their side of things and their procedure quite clearly in a way that made me much happier about their behaviour. He said with regards to the email issue that they are not aware of any problems with their servers that day, and that he feels that with 3m customers they would have been made aware of any issues - he's suggested I contact Google to ask why I didn't recieve said emails.

He also said that if I can get a letter from the bank explaining their mini-statements in a way which can corroborate the idea that I was misled into thinking the money had come out, then they might be able to consider reinstating the policy. I've spoken to the bank and they're writing me a letter, but it will say something like: moneys due to be debited can show on the account in advance as debited on the date of transaction, however, if money is not available at that time, direct debits may be returned unpaid. Which is essentially what caused me the confusion in the first place. So hopefully they are receptive to a further letter with that as backup. I am paying them what I owe them to date this week and I'll go from there...

the guy did say to me though, not to panic if they can't reinstate it. He even suggested that I get the yellow pages and look up smaller brokers that can't afford to advertise on comparison websites, he said I may be able to get a good deal. All in all, I'm happy with how they're dealing with me now that they're acknowledging me and treating me like a human.

Haye and Chisora both face prison sentences, and both may be banned from boxing for life. I wonder this'll all pan out. A Klitschko fight looks a far way away for both of them.

Haye and Chisora both face prison sentences, and both may be banned from boxing for life. I wonder this'll all pan out. A Klitschko fight looks a far way away for both of them.

They can get a boxing licence issued in Albania or another smaller European country if the BBBoC refuse them one and I find it extremely doubtful that they'll do time.

They can get a boxing licence issued in Albania or another smaller European country if the BBBoC refuse them one and I find it extremely doubtful that they'll do time.

Yeah, they David Haye is suspected of grievous bodily harm and Dereck Chisora of malicious injury but I doubt they'll receive a prison sentence, most likely a fine, probation or community service.

Suairyu

Banned
I just spent two hours creating the perfect cover letter for an internship I doubt I'll even get a courtesy "you were not successful" letter to.

ISN'T THIS LOOKING FOR EMPLOYMENT LARK FUN?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom