• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikaru

I have become such a worthless sack of unemployable shit, that I'm grateful just to receive a canned rejection letter nowadays. Ah well, only until October, and then I can go back to university (I hope).

Also, hello all other Cardiff-GAF. I didn't know there were so many of us here!

Meadows

Banned
Anyone here live in the city centre of Manchester?

I'm looking at places to let when I finish Uni (around July) and was wondering where would be best to live within the inner ringroad (Mancunian Way).

My choices are (ish):

-Outer Deansgate (around the Great Northern Tower/Beetham)
-Northern Quarter
-Castlefield
-Spinningfields (rare to see them within my range in Spinningfield but there are some occasional ones)
-Green Quarter (near Co-op, Wing Yip Chinese supermarket, M.E.N.)
- Near Piccadilly

My budget is about £600-700 pcm

Xun

Am I the only one who really dislikes Ed Sheeran? He really pisses me off for some reason.

I don't think he has talent at all.

Am I the only one who really dislikes Ed Sheeran? He really pisses me off for some reason.

all the songs of his i've heard are meh and quite emotionally simplistic. The A Team is alright, but lego house is shite. i hate the fact he seems to make a lot of his lyrics deliberately quirky.

also i hate his 'rapping' and his hair.

Number45

It's weird, I find the tracks enjoyable when listened to separately, but I can't get far through the album without becoming bored. I quite like the lyrics, but they're clearly not going to connect with anyone much older than he is (so... 12?).

EDIT: However I hate Olly Murs. I want to shoot that stupid fucking hat off of his head. With a shotgun. At close range.

pfft cynical gaf out again

the lads got a hell of a voice on him

Sorry Meadows, but that doesn't quite cut it. Having a decent voice basically means fuck all nowadays, because any notably talented singer gets noticed nowadays, and oh so rarely do they have the musical skill/right people working in the background to make something great out of that.

Sheeran is a fair voice dragged down to the depths of dire by just some shit musicianship.

JonnyBrad

So i was in a Harvester last night. Have not been for years but i was taking my Nephew. Is there anything better than the words "Help yourself to the salad bar" I went back three times. And had a meat platter to myself. Win.

Number45

So i was in a Harvester last night. Have not been for years but i was taking my Nephew. Is there anything better than the words "Help yourself to the salad bar"

We don't go often, but when we do I usually order as little actual food from the menu as possible.

SmokyDave

So i was in a Harvester last night. Have not been for years but i was taking my Nephew. Is there anything better than the words "Help yourself to the salad bar" I went back three times. And had a meat platter to myself. Win.

I'd answer that with an emphatic 'yes'.

Help yourself to the Bacon bar.
Help yourself to the Pizza bar.
Help yourself to the bar.
Help yourself with my mate, we've got a naughty night planned for you.

All of these are preferable.

Cardiff being so small, I wouldn't be surprised If I recognised a few of them. I try to spot potential Gaffers on the street. So sad.

How do you go about that? I'm probably pretty easy to spot in a crowd (usually the hair that does it) but ... other than proudly wearing your Gaf shirt through the City Centre, i'd have no clue if you were a gaffer or not. In fact... you could be in the very room I'm occupying now (open space office) and I wouldn't know it... DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Yeah, he's shit.

What I dislike the most is that he's just some bland singer who won the radio lottery of "who shall we pick to be popular this year?" and therefore is played to death and adored by legions of those type of girls who still wear full makeup to festivals.

Actually, the whole festival scene bugs the shit out of me now, it's totally been hijacked by these middle class ra-ra cunts and people who wear hats.

Fuck I'm getting old. Get off my lawn!

Yeah, he's shit.

What I dislike the most is that he's just some bland singer who won the radio lottery of "who shall we pick to be popular this year?" and therefore is played to death and adored by legions of those type of girls who still wear full makeup to festivals.

Actually, the whole festival scene bugs the shit out of me now, it's totally been hijacked by these middle class ra-ra cunts and people who wear hats.

Do not understand this. I wore a hat to the last festival I went to though, I just got REALLY annoyed by the amount of shit that people left in the fields considering it was Besitval which tries to be as environmentaly-aware as possible.
Fucking pricks must have been out in force that year

Haven't got much opinion on Sheeran, haven't heard enough of him to judge outside of the odd listen to Radio 1.

Yeah, he's shit.

Festivals have always been full of middle class fuckwits, just that the crowds seem to be getting older now and more women attend.

I went to school with Sheeran. That's about as interesting as the stories get, mind. Our nans are friends with each other more than we were.

I'd answer that with an emphatic 'yes'.

Help yourself to the Bacon bar.
Help yourself to the Pizza bar.
Help yourself to the bar.
Help yourself with my mate, we've got a naughty night planned for you.

All of these are preferable.

I want a Bacon bar.
And the others, ofc.

Someone on Radio 1 made the same claim. They got properly ripped apart for using that exact phrase.

Thankfully, I'm not using it as a bragging right. And unfortunately I was not cool enough to know the embarrassing stories to sell to a paper. I can tell you he played acoustic guitar with a loop pedal? See, shit story.

So why isn't that we dont have the resources to produce high production value TV shows in this country like they have in the US? I've heard on more than one occasion British actors/actresses making a similar point when talking of their motives to work in the US. We are particularly cheap when it comes to CGI

US is bigger, bigger = more companies, bigger companies, bigger advertising budget, TV stations have more money, TV shows have more money.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So why isn't that we dont have the resources to produce high production value TV shows in this country like they have in the US? I've heard on more than one occasion British actors/actresses making a similar point when talking of their motives to work in the US. We are particularly cheap when it comes to CGI

because the biggest TV company in the UK is the BBC, and they can't afford to?

daviyoung

Banned

A half an hour TV slot in the UK means a program has a minimum running time of 28 minutes at the BBC, usually higher. It's between 24 and 26 minutes on a commercial channel. In America it varies between 20 and 22 minutes. Those extra minutes of advertising on every program, every day, go a long way and as far as I know all channels have advertising. Considering an hour slot has maybe 40 to 45 minutes of actual content, you start seeing the big bucks flying in.

Empty

population of usa - 311 million
population of uk - 62 million

Nicktendo86

Spending my first ever day in Manchester today, can't see the city as I am in work :( but saw the City of Manchester stadium on the train on my way in. Noticeably colder here up North than back home in London this morning. Would have loved to have seen the Trafford centre but won't have time... on the plus side I saw a CEX on the way to the office to will pop in there later. Simple things and all that.

Suairyu

Banned
Where exactly will you find the large numbers of viewers (and thus advertising revenue) the US has access to when producing their television content?

Also, British television is far, far more efficient than US television. Take a British show and make it exactly the same in the US - and I mean exactly, cheap CGI and all - and you're looking at double the budget at least, most likely triple. The BBC can still afford to make incredible drama such as The Shadow Line and Sherlock, whilst (importantly) not being tied to obligations of showing titties and pretty faces every five minutes to draw in viewership.

Game Of Thrones would be a better show if it didn't force a sex scene into every episode, for example.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Festivals have always been full of middle class fuckwits, just that the crowds seem to be getting older now and more women attend.

Yeah, mostly true. Maybe it's just that the nature of the middle classes have changed so much in the past 10 years. When I was going to festivals around 2000 the people seemed just... normal. But now they're so fashion conscious, so image based, and so fucking annoying.

Also the recent(ish) trend of muggishly singing along "do do do-do do" to instrumental melodies fucks me off no end. They didn't do that when I was a kid, and it makes people sound fucking moronic.

But I recognise that this is a pet hate most likely perculiar to me.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Spending my first ever day in Manchester today, can't see the city as I am in work :( but saw the City of Manchester stadium on the train on my way in. Noticeably colder here up North than back home in London this morning. Would have loved to have seen the Trafford centre but won't have time... on the plus side I saw a CEX on the way to the office to will pop in there later. Simple things and all that.

I would be in Manchester right now if the weather wasn't total shit.

SteveWD40

CHEEZMO™;35336904 said:
Doesn't Steve live just off Piccadilly Gardens?

Yes, sorry I only just saw this (I actually live over near UMIST, near the station).

-Outer Deansgate (around the Great Northern Tower/Beetham)
-Northern Quarter
-Castlefield
-Spinningfields (rare to see them within my range in Spinningfield but there are some occasional ones)
-Green Quarter (near Co-op, Wing Yip Chinese supermarket, M.E.N.)
- Near Piccadilly

My budget is about £600-700 pcm

Gets my vote, loads of places to live, more character property's (mill conversions), you should get a decent 1 bed in that price bracket and I am pretty sure the amenities are decent, plus Spinnigfileds isn't far away.

Do not understand this. I wore a hat to the last festival I went to though, I just got REALLY annoyed by the amount of shit that people left in the fields considering it was Besitval which tries to be as environmentaly-aware as possible.
Fucking pricks must have been out in force that year

Haven't got much opinion on Sheeran, haven't heard enough of him to judge outside of the odd listen to Radio 1.

I spoke to a bloke that lived near T in the Park, and one year he had a look through the campsite after the festival to see what he could find. His haul was £120 in cash, several unopened crates of beer and cider, waterproofs, and other stuff I can't remember. It's insane, the amount of stuff that gets dumped.

Xun

all the songs of his i've heard are meh and quite emotionally simplistic. The A Team is alright, but lego house is shite. i hate the fact he seems to make a lot of his lyrics deliberately quirky.

also i hate his 'rapping' and his hair.

He kinda isn't. His lyrics are pretty fucking horrific, which is bad news given his style of music.

Generic Guitar Guy #373

Sorry Meadows, but that doesn't quite cut it. Having a decent voice basically means fuck all nowadays, because any notably talented singer gets noticed nowadays, and oh so rarely do they have the musical skill/right people working in the background to make something great out of that.

Sheeran is a fair voice dragged down to the depths of dire by just some shit musicianship.
I'm really glad I'm not alone.

Everyone seems to be going on and on about the guy.

Mr. Sam

I'm terrible at keeping track of the music scene - everything just sounds the same to me. Not that I care that much; I just end up buying movie soundtracks off iTunes.

+1 for Subway

Yeah, mostly true. Maybe it's just that the nature of the middle classes have changed so much in the past 10 years. When I was going to festivals around 2000 the people seemed just... normal. But now they're so fashion conscious, so image based, and so fucking annoying.

Also the recent(ish) trend of muggishly singing along "do do do-do do" to instrumental melodies fucks me off no end. They didn't do that when I was a kid, and it makes people sound fucking moronic.

V festival started the rot in 96 and it's seeped into everything since then.

Xun

Same man, same.

It's so fucking generic.

What's happened to music, and especially English music? :(

I want to see some good bands pop up.

Same man, same.

It's so fucking generic.

What's happened to music, and especially English music? :(

I want to see some good bands pop up.

Speaking of which - during the Brit awards last night my FB feed was full of comments regarding it.

A couple caught my eye, mainly "Who is Noel Gallagher?" and "Who are Blur? :/"

All around 20/21, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom