• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Telegraph reviews the first three episodes of The Inbetweeners USA:

The US version feels more like an episode of the Wonder Years at times as genuine themes of friendship and bonding are referenced far more explicitly and frequently than was ever the case in the British show...

Take this from the US Will: “I’ve got three friends who seem to accept me…I was not alone I had these guys, which was not much, but they were friends; partners on the turbulent road to adulthood.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...iews/9488514/The-Inbetweeners-USA-review.html

daviyoung

Banned
Americans really hate having normal looking people on TV don't they? No wonder so many have image and confidence issues.

Let me resurrect this post from ages ago, comparing Inbetweeners to Saved By The Bell.

daviyoung said:
Neil = AC Slater, the awkward, sporty and sexually ambiguous prey for all the teachers
Jay = Screech, the wackywatchamacallit ohnoyoudidntjustdothat
The boring one = the boring one, the best looking out of them but also the most dull, he fancies a girl a lot
Will = One of the girls, maybe the tall one, I can't remember any of their names...whichever one is dragged down by chillin with the other losers. Not Kelly.
The beastly head of 6th form = Belding

The parallels are obvious.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well find me a WRPG maker then. I'm going to waste my energy putting together an engine when there's a perfectly passable JRPG maker out there.

Hope you're a fan of turn based battles.

SteveWD40

Well find me a WRPG maker then.

P1NTF.gif

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The only JRPG games I have played:

Pokemon Yellow
one hour of Pokemon Gold too but I gave up after I couldn't be bothered re-training my pokemon from scratch and I didn't know anyone with a second gameboy/link cable. Totally regret it now.

Chrono Trigger

Captain Tsubasa Vol. II: Super Striker

Super Mario RPG

and that's about it. Haven't touched a single Final Fantasy game. Haven't completed a single Zelda game. Might pick up the new Pokemon Gold for the DS and play Chrono Cross at some point.

Play FF6 if you get the chance, it's amazing and is very Chrono Trigger.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
If that were true the rest of the RPG world must be unplayable due to lack of quality control.

Someone's not roamed the mountains of skyrim on the modded pc version.

Perfection gaming.. Just check the sales. Enough proof right there. People don't buy games that are unplayable. Doesn't make sense dude

Kentpaul

I remember picking up Skyrim on PS3 at launch and being so angry.

Skyrim is on other platforms that are not PC ? I don't understand why anyone would buy a game like this for a console. I guess its the same type of people who bought RE4 for there iphones.

Heres a shot i took from my new save i started up on SKYRIM.

Screen_Shot39.png

Screen_Shot44.png

I'm a little outdated on the mods though. that's all the high res texture packs from months ago.

Kentpaul

Final Fantasy 6 is glorious.

I recommend Dragon Quest IX for some portable fun, too.

No FF game is good. Fuck walking around and getting random music played and sucked into a battle. I still have nightmares about the dreadful FF7 game i had for the PS1.

Glad i traded it for the Bruce Willis Apocalypse game. Best choice i ever made.

I liked LA Noire

I'm sure the staff making that game were treated like shit. If you like that game you must be the type of person who buys eggs from caged chickens. Stop the world i want off.

Mikeside

No FF game is good. Fuck walking around and getting random music played and sucked into a battle. I still have nightmares about the dreadful FF7 game i had for the PS1.

Fuck that, I traded in Bruce Willis Apocalypse for Arnie's Table Football Carnage and never looked back.

Good times, bro.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Looking pretty likely I'll be getting the new PC I wanna build for my birthday (less than 2 weeks fuck yeah). Planetside 2 and Guild Wars 2 all up in there.

daviyoung

Banned
I wasn't mad about it but I don't see what would make people describe it as "unplayable".

If you found driving too challenging you got your mate to drive.

If you didn't like shooting things, you could just skip ahead.

Same goes for the running after people, just skip it, you don't need to play it.

The only part of the game that is playable is turning the analogue stick to look at the bottom of a shoe, and pressing one of three buttons once in a while to progress to the next screen.

It's unplayable in the sense that the entire concept of the game is a giant, broken mess. And also that you don't really play it.

Kentpaul

Its unplayable in the sense that who wants to play as the good guy in a game anyway ? Not me that's for sure.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Plays one game out of a series consisting of 13 mainline titles and God knows how many spinoff and dismisses them all.

Especially when random encounters don't even apply to all of them.

Mikeside

Plays one game out of a series consisting of 13 mainline titles and God knows how many spinoff and dismisses them all.

Especially when random encounters don't even apply to all of them.

To be fair, even though FFVII is the shit, you probably could dismiss quite a few FF games as awful...

Juicy Bob

Get to Disc 3 for FFVIII, once you get the airship the whole game opens up and it's so awesome. Remember, don't use magic, and don't win too many battles. Always junction properly and refine is your best friend!
I will, once I've made up with the game.

I had a bit of a strop with it after the part in Disc 2 where
my party of Rinoa, Zack Branaghan and The Annoying One are Solid Snaking it around the missile base. I defeated the base boss and the place blew up and then it cuts to Squall et al. back at Balamb Garden where the proverbial shit has hit the fan and the Garden staff are sending monsters out at people.

I was looking around for a save point, but every time I went into a different room in the Garden, I was faced with another big monster. After about an hour and a half of fighting monsters, gaining AP and stocking an arsenal of spells larger than the WMD stocks during the fucking Cold War, I still hadn't found a save point.

Eventually I ran into a monster that I just couldn't kill in time and my party was wiped out, sending me all the way back to the missile base before the boss fight.
Needless to say, I was royally hacked off and really couldn't be arsed to go through it all again. At least not straight away, anyway.

I'll try it again after I've got through FFXIII first. I enjoy FFVIII for what it is, but it is a little bit complicated compared to other games in the series.

Kentpaul

To be fair, even though FFVII is the shit, you probably could dismiss quite a few FF games as awful...

There all shit. Jrpg's are 30 minute games with 200 hours of grinding required.

I'm not discussing games. I don't want to get a temp ban.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've only played 6, 12, Crystal Chronicles and Theatrhythm myself so I don't really have a opinion of the series as a whole, I just thought it was funny that one would dismiss a large series based off of one game.

EDIT: Discussing games on a game based forum is a sure fire way to get banned. No wonder gaming side is a desert.

my party of Rinoa, Zack Branaghan and The Annoying One are Solid Snaking it around the missile base. I defeated the base boss and the place blew up and then it cuts to Squall et al. back at Balamb Garden where the proverbial shit has hit the fan and the Garden staff are sending monsters out at people.

I was looking around for a save point, but every time I went into a different room in the Garden, I was faced with another big monster. After about an hour and a half of fighting monsters, gaining AP and stocking an arsenal of spells larger than the WMD stocks during the fucking Cold War, I still hadn't found a save point.

Eventually I ran into a monster that I just couldn't kill in time and my party was wiped out, sending me all the way back to the missile base before the boss fight.
Needless to say, I was royally hacked off and really couldn't be arsed to go through it all again. At least not straight away, anyway.

I'll try it again after I've got through FFXIII first. I enjoy FFVIII for what it is, but it is a little bit complicated compared to other games in the series.

You should never die in FFVIII, if you do it means you aren't junctioned right. Have you beaten Diablos yet and got your third (Ifrit and Brothers are the other ones) HP-J slot? If you haven't make sure you do that and then junction 100 of your strongest spell to HP and 100 of your next strongest spell to Vit and finally the third strongest to Str. You should have 100x of all the level 1 spells and a few level 2 spells. Junction them properly and you can never lose. If for some reason you are unable to so this go back to a previous save slot, before the long story in the broken basketball court and get to a shop and buy 30 tents, refine them to 30 Curagas and junction them to your HP. You should never lose then.

Man you may have just inspired me to break out FFVIII again. :D

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Bethesda games are decent but I always lose interest 90% of the way in. The towns are well built but lifeless, the people stare out at you vacantly, the skill levelling is compelling for a short while before the game breaks one way or the other and becomes unfun.

The prime example of this would be the smithing in Skyrim. I obsessively gathered materials and worked on smithing until I could make the Dragon armour, and then after that promptly lost interest. The armour was too expensive to sell, so good it made combat dull and incredibly plentiful. It would be cool if you could do something like open a shop to sell your merch. Actually that could be a really fun mod, the adventures of a skyrim shop owner.

I find jrpgs more fun mostly because they're upfront about their limitations rather than hiding them for you to discover later in the game.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

You're fighting enemies in FFVIII?

??

Get enc-none and play triple triad ;b

Juicy Bob

You should never die in FFVIII, if you do it means you aren't junctioned right. Have you beaten Diablos yet and got your third HP-J slot. If you haven't make sure you do that and then junction 100 of your strongest spell to HP and 100 of your next strongest spell to Vit and finally the third strongest to Str. You should have 100x of all the level 1 spells and a few level 2 spells. Junction them properly and you can never lose.

Man you may have just inspired me to break out FFVIII again. :D
Juicy Bob is shit at games, confirmed.

Yeah, I've got Diablo. I haven't really found the game hard at all, but I just got caught out by one creature who owned me. I don't really junction manually, I just set it all to auto because I can't be arsed to spend all that time faffing around in menus! :p I'll take your advice next time though.

EDIT: Oh God, now I've just embarassed myself in front of the Big Dawg himself!

I did learn ENC-half, which made the game SO much more enjoyable (too many random encounters in JRPGs suck), but I figured that going no-encounters would leave me too weak to play on, despite the relative enemy levelling.

Also, when people are advising you NOT to grind in a JRPG because gaining EXP is a bad thing, that says something about a game. Something that I'm not sure is a good thing.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Final Fantasy 6 is glorious.

I recommend Dragon Quest IX for some portable fun, too.

I am disturbed at how eye-to-eye we are on these things. DQ9 was brilliant (although I completely lost all interest once I hit the endgame). They have a special place in my heart though, I wasted an entire holiday indoors a couple of years back playing V on my DS. I beat the end boss on the plane home, such happy memories!

I just played the Opera in FF6, it was wonderfully unexpected. This could be my favourite JPRG ever.

I liked LA Noire

I'm sure the staff making that game were treated like shit. If you like that game you must be the type of person who buys eggs from caged chickens. Stop the world i want off.

I liked LA Noire too but I think the description of LA Noire-as-battery-chickens is amazing and I can totally see it. The game was good, but didn't make you feel as good as free range, corn fed game. Kentpaul with the crazy wisdom there.

Mikeside

Bethesda games are decent but I always lose interest 90% of the way in. The towns are well built but lifeless, the people stare out at you vacantly, the skill levelling is compelling for a short while before the game breaks one way or the other and becomes unfun.

The prime example of this would be the smithing in Skyrim. I obsessively gathered materials and worked on smithing until I could make the Dragon armour, and then after that promptly lost interest. The armour was too expensive to sell, so good it made combat dull and incredibly plentiful. It would be cool if you could do something like open a shop to sell your merch. Actually that could be a really fun mod, the adventures of a skyrim shop owner.

I find jrpgs more fun mostly because they're upfront about their limitations rather than hiding them for you to discover later in the game.

Sounds to me like you'd really enjoy The Witcher 2

I am disturbed at how eye-to-eye we are on these things.

Yeah, we seem to be in agreement over a hell of a lot of stuff. We'll see how this lasts past the "wtf, I think I've met this gaffer" honeymoon phase, lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I liked DQIX and enjoyed the fact you made the main character. However the lack of built in party members felt like a step back after VIII. Though this did make the game seem like a case of one person saving the world since the other three in your party would never appear in a single cutscene.

Maybe I should connect my DS online again and download the remaining bonus missions. Pity that getting the DS is a pain because it's the only system in the house that doesn't like WPA.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yeah, we seem to be in agreement over a hell of a lot of stuff. We'll see how this lasts past the "wtf, I think I've met this gaffer" honeymoon phase, lol

Yeah, it'll all go tits up when I expose myself as a violent unrepentant racist. But then you'll be like "no dude, I hate black people too!!" and then we can
white power
brofist.

please don't ban me please don't ban me

Mikeside

If you did then I probably would! lol

My current gaming mission is to play and complete as many snes games as I can. One day I'll get back to current gen, I swear by it (that day will be when Halo comes out, woop!)

The Bible.

I have to be honest, though - I've not really put much time into The Witcher 2 - I keep getting to about 4 or 5 hours and putting it down because it's a huge game and I get really busy with work and social life, then starting again a few months later... I think xmas holiday might be my time to plough through it.

Mikeside

Yeah, it'll all go tits up when I expose myself as a violent unrepentant racist. But then you'll be like "no dude, I hate black people too!!" and then we can
white power
brofist.

please don't ban me please don't ban me

Er... So... um...

edit: god dammit, double post :(

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The Bible.

I have to be honest, though - I've not really put much time into The Witcher 2 - I keep getting to about 4 or 5 hours and putting it down because it's a huge game and I get really busy with work and social life, then starting again a few months later... I think xmas holiday might be my time to plough through it.

ahhh get out of my head!! I'm using this to find old games! The recommendation of Plok is pretty spot on, what a weird little platformer. And Super Aleste is one of my favourite games ever already, it's a classic shooter that is so vastly underrated.

EDIT: and The Firemen, that game is so surprising from a SNES game, utterly unique. As soon as I posted about my snes fixation on facebook I had a mate be like "The Firemen!!". There are more of us retro gamers out there than you'd realise.

Juicy Bob is shit at games, confirmed.

Yeah, I've got Diablo. I haven't really found the game hard at all, but I just got caught out by one creature who owned me. I don't really junction manually, I just set it all to auto because I can't be arsed to spend all that time faffing around in menus! :p I'll take your advice next time though.

EDIT: Oh God, now I've just embarassed myself in front of the Big Dawg himself!

I did learn ENC-half, which made the game SO much more enjoyable (too many random encounters in JRPGs suck), but I figured that going no-encounters would leave me too weak to play on, despite the relative enemy levelling.

Also, when people are advising you NOT to grind in a JRPG because gaining EXP is a bad thing, that says something about a game. Something that I'm not sure is a good thing.

You totally don't get FF! Enemy levelling is relative. It means enemies level up as your team levels up. There are only two areas where all enemies are level 100, but seriously. If you junction 100x Ultima to Str, 100x Full-Life to HP and 100x Meltdown to Vit then you can't lose whatever level your characters are. Also, junction 100x Death to St-Attack for the insta-win if you don't want to play the game at level 20 or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom