• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

f0rk

what's wrong with that?

Wombats and Kaiser Chiefs is the kind of stuff you like like you're 16-18 and grow out of. They both had a couple of huge singles then fade into irrelevance to be replaced by the next fleeting indie rock band. Both completely inoffensive, which is pretty much the problem.

I think the same about The Killers as well but given all the stupid K's that have appeared on GAF I guess they still have some kind of fan base :S

And I think it was you who hadn't heard of Propaganda a while a go, you'd probably enjoy it if you're still into student nights.

Meadows

Banned
Wombats and Kaiser Chiefs is the kind of stuff you like like you're 16-18 and grow out of. They both had a couple of huge singles then fade into irrelevance to be replaced by the next fleeting indie rock band. Both completely inoffensive, which is pretty much the problem.

I think the same about The Killers as well but given all the stupid K's that have appeared on GAF I guess they still have some kind of fan base :S

And I think it was you who hadn't heard of Propaganda a while a go, you'd probably enjoy it if you're still into student nights.

music_snob_card-p137591555208258952z85cd_400.jpg

at the end of the day I like listening to it and it helps me through my day. Nowt wrong with that.

f0rk

music_snob_card-p137591555208258952z85cd_400.jpg

at the end of the day I like listening to it and it helps me through my day. Nowt wrong with that.

No you're right there isn't anything wrong with that, I wasn't being deliberately hostile or anything.
I do resent the music snob card though, considering none of the bands on my list were at all obscure.

Mikeside

No you're right there isn't anything wrong with that, I wasn't being deliberately hostile or anything.
I do resent the music snob card though, considering none of the bands on my list were at all obscure.

I dunno - as somebody who constantly comes off as condescending and douchy, you sounded a little condescending and douchy when you put "Wombats and Kaiser Chiefs is the kind of stuff you like like you're 16-18 and grow out of."

No offense, I'm not trying to start a fight - but I'd be annoyed if you said that to me.]

EDIT: and not only because I hate the Kaiser Chiefs.

Juicy Bob

There's a really good article in the latest LRB about privatisation of electricity. It points out that about 1/6th of the UK's power is provided by nuclear plants owned by EDF, which is a monolithic company...owned by the French state.
Yeah, but that little bouncy orange thing from their adverts is SO CUTE.

I dunno - as somebody who constantly comes off as condescending and douchy, you sounded a little condescending and douchy when you put "Wombats and Kaiser Chiefs is the kind of stuff you like like you're 16-18 and grow out of."

To be fair, given that's pretty much the trajectory of my tastes over the years, it's not inaccurate.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

It was only until I saw a billboard recently that I understood what the k's were for. HA HA HA!

SKINNER!

Banned
I just died a little inside. Went into Gamestation to ask about Batman Arkham City GOTY edition and they had a small handmade sign with poorly drawn reddit rage comic meme faces on them.

Also wtf at my discovery of lethal enforcers 3's existance. I had no idea at all until I saw it at the cineworld.

Interesting to see a comedy band like Lonely Island in a Top 5.

So GAF, a friend of mine from school has asked me for a loan to buy a car for his business. He wants £6000. His business is relatively successful, he is an in-home computer repairman and software technician. He is finding that there are a lot of people who want their computers fixing that don't live within reach of public transport and he can't afford a car. The bank won't lend to him because he has a black mark from when he was 19 and he can't get finance on a car for the same reason.

I wan't to lend him the money, but I'm not sure if I will ever get it back, and I really don't like doing business with friends.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
So GAF, a friend of mine from school has asked me for a loan to buy a car for his business. He wants £6000. His business is relatively successful, he is an in-home computer repairman and software technician. He is finding that there are a lot of people who want their computers fixing that don't live within reach of public transport and he can't afford a car. The bank won't lend to him because he has a black mark from when he was 19 and he can't get finance on a car for the same reason.

I wan't to lend him the money, but I'm not sure if I will ever get it back, and I really don't like doing business with friends.

Lend him it, Its only 6 grand.

I gather from your other posts that your pretty well off so its not a big deal at all.

If its a good friend then don't lend him the money. Sure fire way to end a friendship.

I'd say no for the same reasons as Musha. How long does he want to borrow the money over?

Suairyu

Banned

Does he have a proposed re-payment plan? Make him stick to it. How much interest will you charge? How badly will £6000 make you out of pocket? Is the £6000 something he could easily afford from his business over time, but just not immediately in one go? Technically you're investing in his business. Ask for a return on it, though as he's a mate not much.

Work out a repayment plan that is for no longer than half a year, make him stick to it, and ask for a WiiU at launch in return.

If he can't afford to pay it back in half a year, then don't lend him the money as you can't guarantee he'll make it back.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Treat it like a business loan.

I'd quiz him a bit more about what the money is for. £6,000 seems a lot for a runaround for business purposes - he should be able to get one for about £2,000. Then quiz him about insurance costs, target market, advertising strategy and how quickly he'll make enough money to pay off the loan and keep the business spinning. If what he is proposing makes sense he should be able to pay back at at least £500 a quarter (but I bet it wouldn't hang together with a £6,000 car!).

Check his drivers licence too.

If it all stacks up, then lend him the money on terms that ensure you get repaid before you bugger off to China next year!

These things so rarely end well. I assume you'll be sensible enough to draw up a contract of sorts if you did lend him the money, which can at least prevent you from losing it all, but will not exactly salvage the friendship if things turn sour.

Of course I will draw up a contract of sorts, he wants to repay the loan over six months. He's a decent friend that I see quite often so I wouldn't want to lose him as a friend, but I also think that turning down his request will make things awkward.

He's sending over his bank statements on Monday and I am also going to check out his credit rating to make sure he isn't bsing about having just a black mark from when he was 19.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Are there ANY London GAFfers that could give my friend a place to stay tonight? The guy she's been living with has been emotionally abusing her these last couple of months but now it's escalating to a worrying degree and he's threatening to hit her, and is taking her pictures so he 'can chase her and get her' if she leaves. He's insanely jealous of her talking to anyone but him and brings her to tears pretty much everyday. She's had enough and is packing but has nowhere to go, I've told her to book a hostel room as a temporary solution but if there's any good soul out there who can help, it's MUCH appreciated. I'm worried for her life. I'd take her in but I'm 250 miles north and it's urgent she leaves ASAP.

Going to pop this on the main board for exposure

-Edit: She's out of danger now.

SKINNER!

Banned
zomgbbq, hmm, my suggestion would be not to lend the money if he's a good friend. It'll just get messy if it doesn't go to plan.

If you are going to do it anyway then get it all down on writing and have a lawyer ready if he doesn't return the money. Drastic but it does get results most of the time.

Seanbob11

Was down in Lemington Spa for a night on family business just there. Beautiful. I know we Scot's get it for getting so much for free but for the shithole we have to live in most of the time I think anyone would trade for England to be in the North!

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Bitchin' new PC all up and ready. I can't deal with waiting another week for virgin to come, argh.

Also I dont like lending any amount of money, never mind 6k

f0rk

The best thing about chain pizza is how much you can get if you're ordering for loads of people. Just say you normally throw in sides and 50% off and they'll go along with it.

Suairyu

Banned
The best thing about chain pizza is how much you can get if you're ordering for loads of people. Just say you normally throw in sides and 50% off and they'll go along with it.
Yeah. If you order a Papa Johns, then leave it a few months, they'll send you a a few "50% off+free 2L coke" vouchers to get you to order again. Encourages me not to order pizza too often!

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Chain pizza lol I would rather eat grilled cardboard with a slab of American cheese on it.

Learn to find local gems folks. Life's to short to settle with anything but the best.

I'm stupidly excited about this trip to London. Feel like a kid going on a field trip.

Need to sort out what's happening Friday. Might just meet up with Shorty and go drinking till you get here.

Currently in The Intrepid Fox listening to a god awful band. My mate's Guns n Roses tribute band are on next thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom