• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Boiled egg mashed up in a cup with plenty of lurpark butter then slapping the godly mixture between two slices of toast is one they life is fucking awesome moments.

Ultimate comfort food.

Or chopped fried egg on toast with plenty of ketchup..

Mikeside

OMG the iPhone 5 you guys, THE IPHONE 5!

It's like an iPhone but inexplicably better!
Did you see that screen? OMG THE PIXELS, YOU GUYS! Android am dead
Windows phone am dead.
Say goodbye to other forms of communication because you know what? Motherfuckin' iPhone 5.

Suairyu

Banned
Anyone else not interested in Apple/Iphone5? everyones following that crap, no one wants to play...
I am interested solely because it's time for a new phone and the android ecosystem is grating on me after two years.

Honestly, I wish windows phone had taken off more because I think the vanilla os is the best of the lot.

f0rk

I am interested solely because it's time for a new phone and the android ecosystem is grating on me after two years.

Honestly, I wish windows phone had taken off more because I think the vanilla os is the best of the lot.

What are your problems with Android? I never really get ecosystem complaints but I guess that's because I don't play any games on my phone.

I need a new phone at the end of the year as well and the only way I'd consider switching to an iPhone is if they threw iTunes out and remade it as a program sent by God. I like keeping my music in my own folder structure and drag dropping thanks.

As that's never going to happen my choice will probably be between the next Nexus phone (have a Nexus S right now), the S3 and the Lumia 930.

Chinner

Banned
if o2 let me upgrade my 4s for free then id do it. obs not going to happen though, so i'll just wiat itll my contract is up next year.

Mikeside

I'm loving being on Android - obviously there are a few iOS exclusive things I'd love to get hold of, but so worth it for the ability to flash a better ROM onto my device, play with the launcher to make it how I want it and pay a fraction of the price :)

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Android is awesome. I will post pics of my awesome home screen when I return to my nerd cave. Had some green tea before work and my shift flew in.

Green tea is awesome for a good state of mind. Will be drinking daily.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I feel sorry for the iPod Classic. It looks so forgotten. They could at least give it a GUI refresh or something.

I suppose hiding the side bar in iTunes is nice. Miniplayer is way way too late. Bowtie (talking OS X software) shows music information far better and Alfred makes selection music a breeze. I hardly have to look at iTunes now. I just hope the DJ mode stays.

Suairyu

Banned
Rap music is for prison bitches and gang posers anyway.

It's about as cool as your dad buying an expensive motorbike and being in a bike 'gang' with his work colleagues.

SteveWD40

Rap music is for prison bitches and gang posers anyway.

pxdU9.gif

these days you are right, but in the late 80's it wasn't

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think as I approach 30 my inability to find new music is making me feel old. It's typical that a fear of getting old and losing touch should revolve around my relationship to music. The new Grizzly Bear album has been a lifeline, reminding my chest what the discovery of awesome new music feels like. Been a while.

Currently listening to Belle and Sebastian and Bill Callahan. Because I am an old man.

Mikeside

I think as I approach 30 my inability to find new music is making me feel old. It's typical that a fear of getting old and losing touch should revolve around my relationship to music. The new Grizzly Bear album has been a lifeline, reminding my chest what the discovery of awesome new music feels like. Been a while.

Currently listening to Belle and Sebastian and Bill Callahan. Because I am an old man.

Belle and Sebastian is good stuff.
You should check out Bright Eyes, Tegan & Sara and Jets Overhead - I think you'd like all 3

I totally feel you on that one. When I go clubbing these days I find it hard to like what the kids are listening to, and everytime I put on Scuzz or Kerrang it's just more of the same garbage.

But then I started getting into Dubstep and now I feel young, cool and in touch again.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I totally feel you on that one. When I go clubbing these days I find it hard to like what the kids are listening to, and everytime I put on Scuzz or Kerrang it's just more of the same garbage.

But then I started getting into Dubstep and now I feel young, cool and in touch again.

Does MTV2 still show good music? MTV2 used to be pretty good when I started to grow out of Kerrang...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Belle and Sebastian is good stuff.
You should check out Bright Eyes, Tegan & Sara and Jets Overhead - I think you'd like all 3

I am quite pathetically into Bright Eyes, I could write essays about Conor Oberst's lyrics, the guy is a genius. I think the last album is patchy but that last song "One for me One for You" is one of the most emotionally reasonant things I've ever hear. There's this line in the song "One for the certain, one for the real confused" that always makes my chest lurch, such a brilliant expression of how we all feel sometimes. Real confused. So perfect. And then the chorus that goes "You and me, that is an awful lie - it's I and I" man, how cool is that? I usually think rastafarianism is an excuse to have bad hair and get real stoned, but that part of it is a beautiful philosophy.

Have you heard the one-off punk album he made, Desaparecidos? It's brillaint and the dude can SCREAM. check it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5c3z0GubIQ

And Monsters of Folk too, that album made me realise not only that Mike Mogis is one of the finest country producers out there (seriously, those guitar sounds!) but also introduced me to M Ward who is wonderful. Sandman, Brakeman and Me is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard, so brilliantly simple and well constructed.

I shall have to check out Tegan and Sara and Jets Overhead though. T&S are one of those acts who have always been in my perhiphery but I've never tried out, my bandmates are big into them though.

How can you run over 3 miles a day, 3 days a week and then do circuit training inbetween, plus dieting and still not lose weight?

I've lost 3 stone since January, and I only want another half a stone by October but it just hasn't been happening in the last few weeks (incidently since I started running).

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Lady-dude, Kerrang and Scuzz were shitty back in 2002 still :p it was all Soil and Disturbed and that one Slipknot video and Limp Bizkit lol.

I am actually really let down by the state of heavy music in the last ten years. My generation had a whole scene just for us. Yeah it was shitty but it was OURS. It seems all the kids listen to these days are handmedowns from a decade ago. Went to a rock club last year and was shocked and amused to see a bare-chested longhaired 18 year old thrashing about to Disturbed and mouthing all the words to Mad Davey Draiman's stupid rap. I was like "dude, get your own culture ffs..."

Where's the new shit? Where's this generation's Glassjaw or At the Drive In?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
How can you run over 3 miles a day, 3 days a week and then do circuit training inbetween, plus dieting and still not lose weight?

I've lost 3 stone since January, and I only want another half a stone by October but it just hasn't been happening in the last few weeks (incidently since I started running).

Three stone is awesome though. Fuck that last half, who needs it?? You should go on a pie binge, confuse your body and then go running. Might work?

Mikeside

Have you heard the one-off punk album he made, Desaparecidos? It's brillaint and the dude can SCREAM. check it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5c3z0GubIQ

I have, it's great. Not a one off for long *hint hint*

I shall have to check out Tegan and Sara and Jets Overhead though. T&S are one of those acts who have always been in my perhiphery but I've never tried out, my bandmates are big into them though.

They're awesome. Some gateway drugs:
The Con (This was on Rock Band 2 or 3 I think)
I Know, I Know, I Know
Speak Slow
Where Does the Good Go?
Back in your Head
Nineteen

Where's the new shit? Where's this generation's Glassjaw or At the Drive In?

This generation's At The Drive-In are BETTER than At The Drive-In. They're called The Mars Volta.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I have, it's great. Not a one off for long *hint hint*

They're awesome. Some gateway drugs:
The Con (This was on Rock Band 2 or 3 I think)
I Know, I Know, I Know
Speak Slow
Where Does the Good Go?
Back in your Head
Nineteen

This generation's At The Drive-In are BETTER than At The Drive-In. They're called The Mars Volta.

LMAO. You mean that band who made the best album of the 2000s and then proceeded to shit all over what made them good :p They needed Rick Rubin on every record to say "hey omar, how about we cut this ten minutes of birdsong?"

Saying that, I did watch a live performance of Goliath the other day that was magical. I'd say Mars Volta were about 30% good, and 70% annoying. But De-loused is a good as anything will ever be, so they've earned that.

SteveWD40

Your body will hit it's "ideal" weight, plus what does "dieting" mean?

3 stone is amazing, frankly you might need to step it up to burn off that last bit, our bodys are funny and all work differently.

Your diet needs to be constant as well, I assume it is (not stopping and starting)? I cut out as many carbs as I could and upped the fruit and veg intake, along with workouts I tend to drop a pound a week, which is ideal really as it's slow but I will hit my ideal weight and it will stabilise and I can sustain it permanently.

SKINNER!

Banned
Does MTV2 still show good music? MTV2 used to be pretty good when I started to grow out of Kerrang...

aah yes. MTV2. Where they aired good music videos in between random episodes of Beavis & Butthead and Daria. I hope they are still the same as before.

You sometimes get those 1-hour segments that just play 90s/2000 rock on Kerrang and Scuzz but the second that ends its just guys in skinny jeans with half their hair covering their faces screaming about something :/ I don't even bother with the rap/hiphip channels because they just air Lil Wayne and Wiz Khalifa. sigh, UK-GAF needs their own music channel on sky.

most of College Dropout.

Not for me, I guess :)

That is his best album too. Oh well, at least you tried it :) Was it the rap verses/lyrics that put you off or the instrumentals? Kanye usually gets more praise for the music he creates than the rhymes he writes.

Mikeside

LMAO. You mean that band who made the best album of the 2000s and then proceeded to shit all over what made them good :p They needed Rick Rubin on every record to say "hey omar, how about we cut this ten minutes of birdsong?"

Saying that, I did watch a live performance of Goliath the other day that was magical. I'd say Mars Volta were about 30% good, and 70% annoying. But De-loused is a good as anything will ever be, so they've earned that.

Oh man, I love ATDI - don't ever doubt me on that. Saw them at Reading festival last month and they were FANTABULOUS. Probably helped that we saw them just after Mastodon, so my ears were in need of some TLC.

Mars Volta is just...ugh, so good! I think, like ATDI, you need to give each record a few listens and some time to settle, then you start to appreciate the tracks on a whole new level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom